Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

westtip wrote: »
    But true

Those that formulated their opinion in 2011 after RTE Prime Time's 'Ghost Train' piece may want to hit 'refresh.' I just strolled past the 14:08 Athenry train to Limerick, which departed at near capacity. There were a few empty seats, but there were 70+ onboard that service, which seats 85.

The service had a rocky start, being introduced during the throes of a recession, no online booking, an odd schedule (which can still be improved), and noncompetitive pricing. Then, flooding closed the line entirely for 3 months in 2014, and for 5 months in 2015/2016. I believe those issues have been ironed out. It just takes a little time for folk to change their commute patterns. I can guarantee that ridership has improved from the last available figures, which were 2017 I believe (i.e., the 39 passengers/train).

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShaneC1600

I see supporters of the so called QMG are being told who to vote for and not vote for again by people not from the constituency never mind the county on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

ShaneC1600 wrote: »
    I see supporters of the so called QMG are being told who to vote for and not vote for again by people not from the constituency never mind the county on their Facebook page.

Apparently, the quality of Galway muck is far superior for thrashing about in. However, I still can't shake the notion that it was Minister Cannon who blocked the "real greenway" from Athlone to Galway (at least temporarily) by cozying up to farmers with his "no CPO" promise, and now is looking for a cheap and easy score with a fake idea for a greenway that doesn't connect to anything. Personally, if I were an American tourist coming to Ireland in search of the Connemara landscape from the film "The Quiet Man," I would be sorely disappointed by the view from Tuam to Athenry. (I'm not saying your wife is ugly....just not Vogue cover material).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Indeed, one wonders is it a cycling advocacy group or an election campaign tool.

Greaney wrote: »
    Indeed, one wonders is it a cycling advocacy group or an election campaign tool.

At this minute it’s definitely the latter!
    And I want to see the rail report as much as anyone but the campaign is nasty

• Advertisement

Imagine that, an engaged electorate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Greaney wrote: »

Never looked like a cycling advocacy group to me. Lots of people on that page who rarely, if ever, have been up on a bike. Definitely a campaign group to put a long abandoned railway to use as a greenway. Looking fairly triggered these last few days for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Mmmm..... imagine that a campaign group advising (not telling) its members to vote for people who support their campaign, now that one is really difficult to work out. Ah and throw in a bit of parish pumpism as well, he's not from around here you know, don't think we should be listening to his rational sensible arguments, strangers, best beware eh and vote for the local gobsh*te who did nothing for us.... which is probably what will happen.

The so called QMG, just like the so called Western Rail Corridor or the so called Sinn Fein/WOT or the so called chicken dinner.....

ezstreet5 wrote: »
    Personally, if I were an American tourist coming to Ireland in search of the Connemara landscape from the film "The Quiet Man," I would be sorely disappointed by the view from Tuam to Athenry. (I'm not saying your wife is ugly....just not Vogue cover material).

Most American tourists will just about squeeze themselves out of a tour bus for a soggy slog to Bunratty Castle. (I'm not saying they are mostly fat and lazy.... just not "Irish Runner" front cover material, and definitely not the target market for the Quiet Man Greenway, or any greenway for that matter)

Mmmm..... imagine that a campaign group advising (not telling) its members to vote for people who support their campaign, now that one is really difficult to work out. Ah and throw in a bit of parish pumpism as well, he's not from around here you know, don't think we should be listening to his rational sensible arguments, strangers, best beware eh and vote for the local gobsh*te who did nothing for us.... which is probably what will happen.

The so called QMG, just like the so called Western Rail Corridor or the so called Sinn Fein/WOT or the so called chicken dinner.....

There are a number of so called QMG supporters very vocal in telling people what to do. Have you seen the facebook page, its a comedy show.
    There are many issues in our area that far surpass the requirements of a few greenway advocates but then again most of these greenway supporters wouldn't really understand or even know about them! Fair enough advising followers of politicians who are pro their agenda but look at the last 10 posts on the page and you would nearly think it is now only an anti one particular TD page with the same 20 people commenting. Again a good comedy show.
    Why would calling it the so called QMG get you bothered? It is the so called isnt it? Same as the so called WRC. As for the chicken dinner I'm leaving the so called out cause I like chicken :)

• Advertisement

Have you seen the facebook page, its a comedy show.
    :)
    It's a bit like this thread except that some people take themselves, and the issue, far too seriously over there. Nobody was ever insulted into changing an opinon on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Never looked like a cycling advocacy group to me. Lots of people on that page who rarely, if ever, have been up on a bike.
    What difference does that make? It's possible to advocate for a Greenway without being a cyclist - people are allowed to walk and run on them, after all.

serfboard wrote: »
    What difference does that make? It's possible to advocate for a Greenway without being a cyclist - people are allowed to walk and run on them, after all.

None. I agree. That's my point. Business and railway heritage protection advocates too.

There are a number of so called QMG supporters very vocal in telling people what to do. Have you seen the facebook page, its a comedy show.

there is an element of comedy in this whole farce, the comedy is rather black though as this whole thing sinks deeper and deeper into farce. The greenway crowd are clamouring for the rail report, you would have thought it would have been the railway crowd doing the clamouring afterall they are the ones that demanded it. So despite your rather flimsy efforts to dismiss ordinary folk getting angry at their keyboards or phones stop and think five or ten years ago would ordinary folk have got so heated up about such a simple thing as a footpath, no. But they have got angry, and dismissing them as a comedy show from the anonymity of a message board is somewhat discourteous. They are in fact real people with real profiles venting off their anger in a public forum like never before, they have neighbours and friends they talk too, they are influencers so dismiss them as a comedy show at your own peril. Not releasing the rail report is a pure discourtesy, it will come out eventually, and the truth is none of know what it actually contains. My guess is it is not the ringing endorsement of the railway but will be a bit of a fudge so nothing happens, and that will keep one group happy, West on Track, this has now become a battle of spite, stop the greenway at all costs, even though the railway in highly unlikely to ever be built - hats off to you lads if it is, but I have my doubts. Hey ho on we go.

there is an element of comedy in this whole farce, the comedy is rather black though as this whole thing sinks deeper and deeper into farce. The greenway crowd are clamouring for the rail report, you would have thought it would have been the railway crowd doing the clamouring afterall they are the ones that demanded it. So despite your rather flimsy efforts to dismiss ordinary folk getting angry at their keyboards or phones stop and think five or ten years ago would ordinary folk have got so heated up about such a simple thing as a footpath, no. But they have got angry, and dismissing them as a comedy show from the anonymity of a message board is somewhat discourteous. They are in fact real people with real profiles venting off their anger in a public forum like never before, they have neighbours and friends they talk too, they are influencers so dismiss them as a comedy show at your own peril. Not releasing the rail report is a pure discourtesy, it will come out eventually, and the truth is none of know what it actually contains. My guess is it is not the ringing endorsement of the railway but will be a bit of a fudge so nothing happens, and that will keep one group happy, West on Track, this has now become a battle of spite, stop the greenway at all costs, even though the railway in highly unlikely to ever be built - hats off to you lads if it is, but I have my doubts. Hey ho on we go.

More courtesy, less spite.

Ok buddy I was wasn’t really going along those lines with the comedy line, it is the constant and persistent attacks that the administrators of that particular Facebook page seem to allow from the same few posters that I find funny. Sorry if the anonymity of this message board upsets you, I didn’t make the rules, the other Facebook page does not allow questions or people to correct false information or to ask for references for statements at all so that is why I am here.
    You are right though, Those real people that you mention are real, I know a lot of them!
    I agree the report should be released, but you and I and anybody that read the terms of reference for the rail report knew this stage was written into it. It is is not and was not a surprise. Some people seem to think this is a trick.

I agree the report should be released, but you and I and anybody that read the terms of reference for the rail report knew this stage was written into it. It is is not and was not a surprise. Some people seem to think this is a trick.

Look I agree about the terms of reference, the whole thing has been designed to kick the can down the road, but the election has changed everything. Some candidates will be openly advocating the WRC to happen, SF for example seem to have a fixation on this, Within FF O'Cuiv, Chambers and Calleary seem to be big fans, give O'Cuiv and Chambers their due they have asked for the report under PQs filed last December and were refused permission similar to members of the public who have asked for it. But with the election and some of these candidates still going on about the WRC if the report was out there we could all sing off the same hymn sheet. I have always said if he report is a ringing endorsement of the WRC, let's see it happen, I don't think it will be, but at least lets see it, Then both Greenway and Railway advocates know what the position will be. A lot is riding on that report and with an election campaign in place the public need to be informed, that is why the rules should be bent on this one. Don't you think?

Look I agree about the terms of reference, the whole thing has been designed to kick the can down the road, but the election has changed everything. Some candidates will be openly advocating the WRC to happen, SF for example seem to have a fixation on this, Within FF O'Cuiv, Chambers and Calleary seem to be big fans, give O'Cuiv and Chambers their due they have asked for the report under PQs filed last December and were refused permission similar to members of the public who have asked for it. But with the election and some of these candidates still going on about the WRC if the report was out there we could all sing off the same hymn sheet. I have always said if he report is a ringing endorsement of the WRC, let's see it happen, I don't think it will be, but at least lets see it, Then both Greenway and Railway advocates know what the position will be. A lot is riding on that report and with an election campaign in place the public need to be informed, that is why the rules should be bent on this one. Don't you think?

Definitely agree on that one.
    Report should be published as reported whatever is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Definitely.
    I think reasonable people on both sides of this debate deserve no less than full disclosure of the facts.
    Hiding the truth from the people, if that's what is happening, does nobody any credit. And even if the facts are being concealed for what politicians genuinely consider to be valid reasons, it would be much better at this point to publish the consultants' report exactly as delivered.

Truth is ShaneC I think we are all getting sick and tired of this on message boards, and FB and twitter etc, lets see the bloody report and get on with it, honestly I am really tired, if the report says the railway is the best idea since sliced white bread and will transform the economy then lets get on with in but can we at least see it ... we paid for it.

In the meantime great to see Marian Harkin come out in support of the greenway, a previous stalwart of West on Track, quite remarkable turn around in views. Well done Marian Harkin for listening and rationalising that takes courage. Thank you!

• Advertisement

Truth is ShaneC I think we are all getting sick and tired of this on message boards, and FB and twitter etc, lets see the bloody report and get on with it, honestly I am really tired, if the report says the railway is the best idea since sliced white bread and will transform the economy then lets get on with in but can we at least see it ... we paid for it.
    Don't be getting overexcited with the rail review. WOT are being their usual very clever selves in stoking up faux anger and suspense. It is and always was a clever distraction trick.
    The greenway will proceed 1. When the relevant local council vote for it 2. The relevant County CEO decides to fund it and maintain it. 3. Affected landowners and nimby's don't object to it.
    A rail service will happen 1. When a government decide to capital fund it and continually subsidises it. 2 When the operators agree to take on another heavily loss making service. 3. The NTA doesn't object to its impact an a heavily used road network (including primary routes).

If an FF/Green/ caney government decide to extend the WRC, the rail review report decoy will land in the bin, no matter what it says and another report with an adjusted terms of reference would be deliverd within months.

Politicians publicy stating they have changed their minds, on reflection, (about anything). That's something to get excited about.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Don't be getting overexcited with the rail review. WOT are being their usual very clever selves in stoking up faux anger and suspense. It is and always was a clever distraction trick.
    The greenway will proceed 1. When the relevant local council vote for it 2. The relevant County CEO decides to fund it and maintain it. 3. Affected landowners and nimby's don't object to it.
    A rail service will happen 1. When a government decide to capital fund it and continually subsidises it. 2 When the operators agree to take on another heavily loss making service. 3. The NTA doesn't object to its impact an a heavily used road network (including primary routes).

If an FF/Green/ caney government decide to extend the WRC, the rail review report decoy will land in the bin, no matter what it says and another report with an adjusted terms of reference would be deliverd within months

Things have changed a lot in departments since the wild spending days of Mccreevy and Ahern. No major project nowadays will get past the department of finance without a proper evaluation, so the wrc is unlikely to ever cross the funding hurdle.
    The wishful thinking of WOT is based on what could be done in a time that is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

eastwest wrote: »
    Things have changed a lot in departments since the wild spending days of Mccreevy and Ahern. No major project nowadays will get past the department of finance without a proper evaluation, so the wrc is unlikely to ever cross the funding hurdle.
    The wishful thinking of WOT is based on what could be done in a time that is long gone.

Like the National Children's Hospital. :rolleyes:

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Like the National Children's Hospital. :rolleyes:

Exceptions always prove a rule!

I just want this to end......

I just want this to end......
    It will pretty much end when the report is released, I'm told it is absolutely definitive in its conclusions. The western rail corridor has finally been put to bed by the consultants in a very damning report. Despite what spin is put on this by any government trying to appease a couople of West on track TDs (or indeed on west on track bandwagon jumpers), the economists will tear any such spinning to pieces.
    It's a pity the report is being covered up for electoral reasons, but it will all come out in the open very soon in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

In the meantime great to see Marian Harkin come out in support of the greenway, a previous stalwart of West on Track, quite remarkable turn around in views. Well done Marian Harkin for listening and rationalising that takes courage. Thank you!

She would have been hounded if she hadn’t. Witness the campaign’s “robust” “critique” of politicians and officials who don’t toe the line.

It will pretty much end when the report is released, I'm told it is absolutely definitive in its conclusions. The western rail corridor has finally been put to bed by the consultants in a very damning report. Despite what spin is put on this by any government trying to appease a couople of West on track TDs (or indeed on west on track bandwagon jumpers), the economists will tear any such spinning to pieces.
    It's a pity the report is being covered up for electoral reasons, but it will all come out in the open very soon in any case.

yes I believe this to be the case in the meantime for those who label the greenway campaign anti-rail, this is the kind of project we need to encourage and support for rail in the west of ireland.

https://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/01/22/4184680-double-track-for-athenrygalway-route-in-the-pipeline/

She would have been hounded if she hadn’t. Witness the campaign’s “robust” “critique” of politicians and officials who don’t toe the line.

I don't really like to share personal emails in this kind of forum, however I am prepared to share this one which I received from Marian Harkin this week, it doesn't sound to me like she has been hounded......I have left my own name as you all know who I am.

email received from Marian Harkin this week in response to email sent to her thanking her for her change of mind. (doesn't sound to me like she has been bullied or coerced she seems to be well able to make her own mind up) hey ho on we go.

Dear Brendan,
    What a lovely genuine email to receive, thank you.I really appreciate your taking the time and trouble to write. You will appreciate that I am under fierce pressure time wise at the moment so I cannot reply at such length. Just to say I will be delighted to speak with you after the election and work constructively to get the job done.
    Thanks again, it really was a lovely email to receive.
    Kind Regards
    Marian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I don't really like to share personal emails in this kind of forum, however I am prepared to share this one which I received from Marian Harkin this week, it doesn't sound to me like she has been hounded......I have left my own name as you all know who I am.

email received from Marian Harkin this week in response to email sent to her thanking her for her change of mind. (doesn't sound to me like she has been bullied or coerced she seems to be well able to make her own mind up) hey ho on we go.

Dear Brendan,
    What a lovely genuine email to receive, thank you.I really appreciate your taking the time and trouble to write. You will appreciate that I am under fierce pressure time wise at the moment so I cannot reply at such length. Just to say I will be delighted to speak with you after the election and work constructively to get the job done.
    Thanks again, it really was a lovely email to receive.
    Kind Regards
    Marian

Tell him what he wants to hear so he votes for you.

Advertisement