Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC3 -- Why I believe that a third option is needed for climate change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭posidonia

(Page 68) As Normal, people listening to mainstream corporate, media outlets that are uneducated fools !! I left several links to Youtube, mainly Patrick Moore, just to get another extremely educated view from decades of dedicated research and findings. No scientist anywhere across the western world has ever contradicted his "facts", why? because they cant !! Please stop putting up links from The Guardian and its ilk, that is 10th hand info, then written in text by fools being paid via corporate and government bodies (same as the 30 odd thousand labs looking for monies and bigger budgets every year) as the links state "A denier of climate change? No"!! A Believer in the "Green" reasons why governments will try and brainwash the masses of sheep (and have already succeeded)...No! When 87'ish' % of the world's human race believes in some form of unproven, unfound, unrealistic bull**** religion then it ain't hard to coerce and brainwash the masses. It's hard to prove people wrong but its a harder job getting them to accept that they could be wrong.

Could you be wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

posidonia wrote: »
    Could you be wrong?

Indeed I could but I gather information from independent experts in their field, with no monetary gain and watch their own mouths move !! certainly not from egomaniac Journalists being paid off by corporate bodies using children as mascots along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You see that's a good example of cherry picking due to bias.

You see temperatures adjusted by 1 degree Celsius.

What I see is a trend that shows an increase in temperature of about 1.5 degrees Celsius

Lets make this really easy for you...

500704.png

Indeed I could but I gather information from independent experts in their field, with no monetary gain and watch their own mouths move !! certainly not from egomaniac Journalists being paid off by corporate bodies using children as mascots along the way.

So, you could be wrong but you're not...

Is anyone here making monetary gain from their posts? Are you? I think we should be told, by you, whether your posts here are paid for by someone - so prove to us you're not being paid to post here!

Of course you'll scoff and proclaim your innocence of the charges but the guilty never admit their guilty do they....

(you see? It's easy to smear someone or thing - and it goes on all the time in this thread...).

Danno wrote: »
    Lets make this really easy for you...

500704.png

Is that graph your work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nope, try to keep up. Akrasia has stated that the recent warming has been more than 100% anthropogenic, whatever that means. Absolute nonsense.

It's not absolute nonsense
    If you're running on a treadmill you can be running at 15mph while not actually moving anywhere. This is because you're forward momentum from running is balanced out by the conveyor belt in the treadmill going in the opposite direction

If we are in a period of weak solar output (there's another thread on this forum full of people saying we should be in an ice age by now) then the earth is in a naturally cooling phase, and the fact that the earth is warming despite this, means that humans have contributed all of the observed warming plus the extra energy to offset the natural cooling.

If you think that is 'absolute nonsense' then you're not as clever as you think you are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Thinking about that Valentia data earlier on, and isn't all this data adjusting an actual insult to the men and women back yonder who were dedicated in the collecting this quality data, only to then have it 'adjusted' by tax payer funded 'scientists' who probably have little to no knowledge of the Irish climate, or even where Ireland is for that matter. But of course, climate scientists today know so much more about the climate of the past than those who actually lived through it and observed and recorded it. :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

Such an eventful few weeks.

In the astronomy forum I dealt with something which hasn't been touched since Copernicus where a few contributors threw the kitchen sink at what is a fairly straightforward explanation which divides perspectives of the faster and slower moving planets seen from Earth.

As the main objectors started to comprehend what I was presenting, they simply pretended that I said something else and that is pretty uncouth despite the historical material and the works of Copernicus and Galileo I was dealing with and modifying.

I guess this is how science is done these days but that is more the preserve of terrace thugs then gentlemen discussing topics in a reasonable way. Remarkable by any measure .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

** desalination can reduce ocean levels slightly and on a massive scale in key areas (southwest U.S., Mexico, west Africa, Middle East, Australia, Namibia, Chile and Peru) there are large areas that could be successfully irrigated and brought into agricultural production. In some cases (notably west Africa, southern California) there are options for extending ocean cover into inland basins that are already below sea level (thus only connecting excavations required) and those basins could be used to store the desalinated water created or to increase the total volume of the global ocean (perhaps offsetting some of the sea level rises).

apologies if this has already been addressed i haven't read all the thread.

i agree with most of your post but this point is completely off the wall with all due respect.

the amount of desalination required to lower the entire ocean by even a cm (which would have negligible counter to sea level rise) is enormous and would require unbelievable amounts of energy. desalination is very energy intensive and right now, that energy comes largely from fossil fuels. you would be massively increasing CO2 levels with a scheme of this scale. as for connecting empty basins with the desalinated water, i would be very interested in these huge basins on earth that could hold all this water. i think you vastly underestimate just how large the world ocean's are.

just a quick back of napkin maths -

surface area of world oceans: 361 million km2
    volume of water in a depth of 1 metre: 361 billion cubic metres.

to counter a sea level rise of one metre using desalination and relocation of water, you would need to desalinate 361 billion cubic metres of water. its estimated that using the currently most efficient way of desalination (pushing water through a membrane) it takes 821,000 kwhr to desalinate 1 cubic metre. that's enough power to power 100 homes.

so to desalinate all that water, you would need 821,000 x 361 billion =

2.9 x 10 ^17 kwhr.

in 2016 the world's entire power consumption was 21.8 trillion kwhrs.

so basically completely impossible. and if it was possible so much CO2 with current technology that it would cause the earth to enter in a runaway greenhouse effect in a matter of years and kill almost all life.

of course you could use nuclear energy but i doubt there is enough uranium in the world to even come close to that energy.

not even mentioning the money required for all this which again, is orders of magnitude beyond the total amount of money currently present in the world.

• Advertisement

Instead of asking on here why the raw data gets adjusted and homogenised, it's much better to ask the people who actually do the data processing.

In this case, it's the GHCN v4 which is run by NOAA and they supply the data for GISStemp who then go on to do some more processing and interpolation

Here is what the GCHN have to say about why temperature records are adjusted

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/land-based-station-data/land-based-datasets/global-historical-climatology-network-monthly-version-4
    Nearly all weather stations undergo changes in the circumstances under which measurements are taken at some point during their history. For example, thermometers require periodic replacement or recalibration and measurement technology has evolved over time. Temperature recording protocols have also changed at many locations from recording temperatures at fixed hours during the day to once-per-day readings of the 24-hour maximum and minimum. “Fixed” land stations are sometime relocated and even minor temperature equipment moves can change the microclimate exposure of the instruments. In other cases, the land use or land cover in the vicinity of an observing site can change over time, which can impact the local environment that instruments are sampling even when measurement practice is stable. All of the these different modifications to the circumstances of recording near surface air temperature can cause systematic shifts in temperature readings from a station that are unrelated to any real variation in local weather and climate. Moreover, the magnitude of these shifts (or “inhomogeneities”) can be large relative to true climate variability. Inhomogeneities can therefore lead to large systematic errors in the computation of climate trends and variability not only for individual station records, but also in spatial averages.

For this reason, detecting and accounting for artifacts associated with changes in observing practice is an important and necessary endeavor in building climate datasets. In GHCNm v4, shifts in monthly temperature series are detected through automated pairwise comparisons of the station series using the algorithm described in Menne and Williams (2009). This procedure, known as the Pairwise Homogenization Algorithm (PHA), systematically evaluates each time series of monthly average surface air temperature to identify cases in which there is an abrupt shift in one station’s temperature series (the “target” series) relative to many other correlated series from other stations in the region (the “reference” series). The algorithm seeks to resolve the timing of shifts for all station series before computing an adjustment factor to compensate for any one particular shift. These adjustment factors are based on the average change in the magnitude of monthly temperature differences between the target station series with the apparent shift and the reference series with no apparent concurrent shifts.

The PHA has undergone extensive evaluation (e.g., Williams et al. 2012) and GHCNm v4 data are provided as both homogenized (adjusted) and unhomogenized (unadjusted). The homogenized data are known by the string "qcf" and the unhomogenized data are designated by the string "qcu". As described in Menne et al. (2018), the PHA is periodically run as an ensemble to quantify the uncertainty of homogenization. Other components of uncertainty are also evaluated. The combined effect of uncertainties for GHCNm v4 are shown in the figure below.

The paper by Menne et al is here in full for free. https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/JCLI-D-18-0094.1

It describes the methodology for adjusting the data, the validation protocols, the validation of algoryihms used to homogenise the data, the justification for doing so etc

Every month every record is checked using the validation checks in this table jcli-d-18-0094.1-t1.gif
    If an observation fails a quality-control check, the value is accompanied by QC flag (flag 2) that indicates what check was failed. A value with no quality-control flag indicates that the datum passed all checks applied or was unable to be tested because of insufficient data. As described in Lawrimore et al. (2011), the quality-control process was designed so that each check has a low false-positive rate, that is, a low probability that valid observations are flagged as errors according to the evaluation approach outlined in Durre et al. (2008). Nevertheless, a QC flag can be overridden if later found by expert assessment to be inaccurate. Any overrides, and the associated justification for making the correction, are documented in NCEI’s Datzilla system (NOAA 2007).

and if the data can not be validated, or if an error is discovered, it is either adjusted, or it is excluded from the record for that month.

What sceptics like to do is 'anomaly hunt'. They look for things that 'don't quite fit' and use this to discard the bulk of the data that they don't want to trust. In reality, any temperature series as big and complex as the GHCN is going to be full of anomalies and errors in data recording and transmission, so a lot of the work in creating these temperature reanalysis products, is in validating the data

And in case one of you comes along and says that these validations are not justified or they are there just to falsify the record, the validations are audited independently through multiple stages and there have been multiple independent studies looking at the algorithms and techniques to ensure that they do not introduce any bias and that their methods are scientifically sound.

Instead of posting youtube videos of disgruntled former employees being interviewed by Breitbart 'journalists' ranting about plots to fake data, you need to provide peer reviewed papers where scientists have demonstrated a flaw in the methods or in some other aspect of the temperature reconstruction that means we should no longer trust it.

What real science does is check for anomalies and try to deal with them in a scientifically justified way while still retaining the information in the dataset.

Certain climate change 'Sceptics' would have a backyard drain filled with the rotting corpses of all the babies they threw out with the bathwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What a painful, soul destroying read that was Arkrasia.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

froog wrote: »
    ...it takes 821,000 kwhr to desalinate 1 cubic metre. that's enough power to power 100 homes.

Now, I'm no expert on this, but where did you get that figure from? Israel are recognised as the world leader in desalination technology, and their energy cost per cubic metre of desalinated water is 3.5 Kw/h.

http://www.water.gov.il/Hebrew/Planning-and-Development/Desalination/Documents/Desalination-in-Israel.pdf

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Thinking about that Valentia data earlier on, and isn't all this data adjusting an actual insult to the men and women back yonder who were dedicated in the collecting this quality data, only to then have it 'adjusted' by tax payer funded 'scientists' who probably have little to no knowledge of the Irish climate, or even where Ireland is for that matter. But of course, climate scientists today know so much more about the climate of the past than those who actually lived through it and observed and recorded it. :rolleyes:

It would be a much bigger insult to them to take their raw data and try to jam it into a dataset where it doesn't fit properly without at least trying to account for known biases

Scientists will rigorously collect data, it is not an insult to take that data and use it to advance our understanding of the planet we live on.

The people who made the first maps did a damn good job. Some of their ingenuity was breathtaking, but It is not an insult to them for modern cartographers to improve on their measurements using modern technology and techniques that they helped to develop

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

oriel36 wrote: »
    Such an eventful few weeks.

In the astronomy forum I dealt with something which hasn't been touched since Copernicus where a few contributors threw the kitchen sink at what is a fairly straightforward explanation which divides perspectives of the faster and slower moving planets seen from Earth.

As the main objectors started to comprehend what I was presenting, they simply pretended that I said something else and that is pretty uncouth despite the historical material and the works of Copernicus and Galileo I was dealing with and modifying.

I guess this is how science is done these days but that is more the preserve of terrace thugs then gentlemen discussing topics in a reasonable way. Remarkable by any measure .

Mod Note: oriel36, this post is totally off topic and should not be posted in this thread. Stay on topic. You need to follow Moderator instructions and adhere to the forum charter.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    What a painful, soul destroying read that was Arkrasia.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

How do you know it's nonsense? Are you an expert now? This explains how. "These conclusions have led to some confusion as to how more than 100% of observed warming could be attributable to human activity. A human contribution of greater than 100% is possible because natural climate change associated with volcanoes and solar activity would most likely have resulted in a slight cooling over the past 50 years, offsetting some of the warming associated with human activities.". See?

Ha ha ha ha not taking into account an active sun, strong magnetosphere, big solar cycles, less cloud cover and natural warming...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Akrasia, thank you for posting what I've already read and going to the trouble of typing all that long post, however it explains not one iota about what was done to the Valentia data. A nice diversionary tactic, akin to fillibustering, but it didn't answer the question that was asked. Gamer said there were papers out there on what I was asking, so maybe he'll be good enough to provide them. Mindgame still mustn't have time yet.

Here is the Met Éireann quality-controlled dataset again, which shows no such jumps in readings. If this was a station in my back garden then I'd accept it, but this is the flagship station of a national agency, in postitoin for 128 years, as far away from urban inhomogenities as can be. Are you saying Met Éireann are wrong?

500664.png

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha not taking into account an active sun, strong magnetosphere, big solar cycles, less cloud cover and natural warming...

None of which is true, just like that claim about the weather balloons, any comments on that yet?

Akrasia wrote: »
    It would be a much bigger insult to them to take their raw data and try to jam it into a dataset where it doesn't fit properly without at least trying to account for known biases

Scientists will rigorously collect data, it is not an insult to take that data and use it to advance our understanding of the planet we live on.

The people who made the first maps did a damn good job. Some of their ingenuity was breathtaking, but It is not an insult to them for modern cartographers to improve on their measurements using modern technology and techniques that they helped to develop

You are joking, right?

• Advertisement

Akrasia, thank you for posting what I've already read and going to the trouble of typing all that long post, however it explains not one iota about what was done to the Valentia data. A nice diversionary tactic, akin to fillibustering, but it didn't answer the question that was asked. Gamer said there were papers out there on what I was asking, so maybe he'll be good enough to provide them. Mindgame still mustn't have time yet.

Here is the Met Éireann quality-controlled dataset again, which shows no such jumps in readings. If this was a station in my back garden then I'd accept it, but this is the flagship station of a national agency, in postitoin for 128 years, as far away from urban inhomgenities as can be. Are you saying Met Éireann are wrong?

500664.png
    No, they’re measuring different things. GHCN is measuring global average temperatures. Met Eireann do not need to homogeneous Valentia data to match global measurement standards

No, they’re measuring different things. GHCN is measuring global average temperatures. Met Eireann do not need to homogeneous Valentia data to match global measurement standards

WT actual F? I don't even know how to reply to this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Darwin wrote: »
    Now, I'm no expert on this, but where did you get that figure from? Israel are recognised as the world leader in desalination technology, and their energy cost per cubic metre of desalinated water is 3.5 Kw/h.

http://www.water.gov.il/Hebrew/Planning-and-Development/Desalination/Documents/Desalination-in-Israel.pdf

apologies my figure was way off! i read an article wrong.

still the point stands, desalinating the worlds oceans in an attempt to lower sea level is pretty ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

still the point stands, desalinating the worlds oceans in an attempt to lower sea level is pretty ridiculous.

We may need the water...

Taking the correct figure, it works out as requiring around 5-6% of the world's annual power requirements. Not quite as ridiculous in that case.

I don't get it. On the KNMI climate explorer, the GHCN v3 has a similar graph to that of Met Éireann's.

http://climexp.knmi.nl/gettemp.cgi?WMO=3953&STATION=VALENTIA_OBSE

t3953.png
    t3953_a.png

t3953_1939:2019.png
    t3953_1939:2019_a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

But NOAA/NASA and others are homogenising Valentia data to match (fit) the GHCN!!!

WT actual F? I don't even know how to reply to this...

If you’re an American climate monitoring service you’re going to use American standards for measurements and calibration. European standards were different in the early part of the 20th century
    They don’t even use the same scale as us there needs to be some homogenization to fit global data together that is not required when you’re just interested in measuring the weather at one specific location over time

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

Is anyone here making monetary gain from their posts? Are you? I think we should be told, by you, whether your posts here are paid for by someone - so prove to us you're not being paid to post here!

Of course you'll scoff and proclaim your innocence of the charges but the guilty never admit their guilty do they....

you see? It's easy to smear someone or thing - and it goes on all the time in this thread...).

RESPONSE..... Already responded to that above_

RESPONSE..... Monetary Gain, ha ha ha ha, I live in the west of Ireland in a cold house that cost me the best part of 2 grand a year to heat and keep my family warm, built with a regulated method statement of "two skins of concrete block walls (The only place on the planet that still builds the most "un-eco-nomimical" houses out of conctrete & mortar) from a government thats being told what to do via a corrupt European government, who is being run and backed by all corporate car manufactures across mainland Europe who wants us to rid of all fossil fuel cars in the next ten years so keep the corporates afloat with big profits !! ha ha ha ha ........ being paid my hole...

RESPONSE........ Hold on I need the bathroom !!

(you see? It's easy to smear someone or thing - and it goes on all the time in this thread...).

RESPONSE...... Thats better I just finished unloading my bowels

• Advertisement

RESPONSE..... Already responded to that above_

RESPONSE..... Monetary Gain, ha ha ha ha, I live in the west of Ireland in a cold house that cost me the best part of 2 grand a year to heat and keep my family warm, built with a regulated method statement of "two skins of concrete block walls (The only place on the planet that still builds the most "un-eco-nomimical" houses out of conctrete & mortar) from a government thats being told what to do via a corrupt European government, who is being run and backed by all corporate car manufactures across mainland Europe who wants us to rid of all fossil fuel cars in the next ten years so keep the corporates afloat with big profits !! ha ha ha ha ........ being paid my hole...

RESPONSE........ Hold on I need the bathroom !!

RESPONSE...... Thats better I just finished unloading my bowels

Good for you! No need to shout about it though....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement