Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vintage Jap import - Uk Reg

Options
  • 11-01-2020 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I’m looking at buying a 1990 U.K registered car. It’s on a g plate (1st of September to 31st of August) and says it was first registered in 2002 and first registered in the U.K. in 2002.

On the special notes on v5 it says “was registered/used over seas” declared manufacture 1990.

My question is how will I get on with vrt as I can seem to figure out exactly what date it was first registered in Japan... so I don’t know exactly when it’s 30 years of age or older etc

Has anyone came across this before...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

The G Plate will give you 1st of September 1990. So VRT will be €200 if presented after the 1st September 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have come across a 00 JDM car which was subsequently registered in the UK in 2002, Revenue tried to give it a 2002 reg (had to be pointed out to them and they revised the VRT and reffed it as 00)

With Nox tax and VRT it would be worth holding off til it’s safely over 30 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

miller_63 wrote: »
    The G Plate will give you 1st of September 1990. So VRT will be €200 if presented after the 1st September 2020.

How do you know this? As I am haveing a simuler issue want to buy a 1990 jap import from the uk on a says its a 97 buut on a g plate.
    But in the notes says was firsted used overseas in 1990. Went in to the vrt office to ask them about it and was told I would have to buy the car and put it through the VRT but they would not know what it would cost to import as there is no month etc on the v5.

I also know that the car was in the soth allready so i should not have to pay the vrt but when it was in the soth it was on a 93 plate so i dont know where I stand.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If you stick the VIN in here, do you get anything?

https://carvx.jp

I don't know how far back the database goes, so if it's been out of Japan for a very long time it's possible records aren't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mooretaxi

I don't know how far back the database goes, so if it's been out of Japan for a very long time it's possible records aren't available.

That site worked for me, just checked my 93 mx5, it gave the details of the car but no NOX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I put the vin number in I only got a 12 digigt vin of the logbook

On the free report on the year it says Year: 1990-07

I paid for a full report and they told me they dont have records of the car as it is out of the country so long.

I am hopeing that the vrt office would take the free report and say its 30 year old in July of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Mooretaxi wrote: »
    That site worked for me, just checked my 93 mx5, it gave the details of the car but no NOX

I think people have got verifications of CO2 emissions by going to the manufacturer before. Not sure if they'll have NOx figures for something of that age though, which may mean it'll be charged at the full rate...
    I put the vin number in I only got a 12 digigt vin of the logbook

On the free report on the year it says Year: 1990-07

I paid for a full report and they told me they dont have records of the car as it is out of the country so long.

I am hopeing that the vrt office would take the free report and say its 30 year old in July of this year.

I think the VRT office might need some more verifiable evidence. Maybe contact that website and see if they can provide some more detailed confirmation of the date.

Advertisement