Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the burning passion for having an open fire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had a power cut last night for a few hours during the storm and was very glad of the fire for both heat and light. Had no internet as the local mobile mast was unpowered too but it was absolute bliss to just sit there in silence and watch the fire crackle away. When the lights came back on at 10.30 I just switched them off and enjoyed it some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Had a power cut last night for a few hours during the storm and was very glad of the fire for both heat and light. Had no internet as the local mobile mast was unpowered too but it was absolute bliss to just sit there in silence and watch the fire crackle away. When the lights came back on at 10.30 I just switched them off and enjoyed it some more.

Had a dose of sneezing on the M7 myself this week on Tuesday morning as I drove through the heavy smog South of junction 14.

I wouldn't fancy living amongst that homely ambience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

air wrote: »
    Had a dose of sneezing on the M7 myself this week on Tuesday morning as I drove through the heavy smog South of junction 14.

You need to change the cabin filter on your car. It's easily done and will solve your temporary problem.
    There is no way you should be sneezing, because of smog, driving near Junction 14.

i love when the neighbours burn wood, means i get to choke on their fumes. But sure they are warm in cosy inside. an analogy can be drawn with sellafield nuclear powerplant. its closer to Dublin than London so any harm is suffered by someone else.

Do you heat your house with electric only? If oil, there's plenty of emissions from oil burners as most are infrequently serviced.
    Try putting some dipetane in your tank and give your neighbours s break also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Do you heat your house with electric only? If oil, there's plenty of emissions from oil burners as most are infrequently serviced.
    Try putting some dipetane in your tank and give your neighbours s break also.

is this true? - can you really put this cráp in your kerosene heating oil tank and it will clean your burner/boiler?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

In your electric car I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭buried

If Air was a passenger up on a airplane that hit another airplane at 30,000 feet, some poor lad burning a bit of turf in his open fire down below would be getting the blame

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

is this true? - can you really put this cráp in your kerosene heating oil tank and it will clean your burner/boiler?

Why would you call it crap without doing your research first??
    Do some research. Yes, dipetane provides more complete combustion. Of course, a professional service,/tuning is best.
    I assume you're disparaging it as 'crap' because it's an additive??
    Watch YouTube sometime and how Redex was praised by Fifth Gear.
    It's unacceptable to refer to a proven product as crap. Educate yourself a lot more before pontificating so much.

You need to change the cabin filter on your car. It's easily done and will solve your temporary problem.
    There is no way you should be sneezing, because of smog, driving near Junction 14.

You're right, it's the cabin filter at issue, nothing at all to do wirh the pall of smoke visibly emanating from the houses to the left drifting across the road.

In your electric car I presume?
    buried wrote: »
    If Air was a passenger up on a airplane that hit another airplane at 30,000 feet, some poor lad burning a bit of turf in his open fire down below would be getting the blame

So no reasoned argument to support the burning of solid fuels then?
    Thought as much.

• Advertisement

Why would you call it crap without doing your research first??
    Do some research. Yes, dipetane provides more complete combustion. Of course, a professional service,/tuning is best.
    I assume you're disparaging it as 'crap' because it's an additive??
    Watch YouTube sometime and how Redex was praised by Fifth Gear.
    It's unacceptable to refer to a proven product as crap. Educate yourself a lot more before pontificating so much.

sorry - chose my words wrong .. I meant 'stuff' ...

many a time I have used Redex in a car.

i was just asking if that dipetane stuff in your kerosene tank will work on the oil boiler and if it works? - thanks for taking it up the wrong way though :rolleyes:

You're right, it's the cabin filter at issue, nothing at all to do wirh the pall of smoke visibly emanating from the houses to the left drifting across the road.

Of course I'm right. Are you driving with your windows down on a motorway? Your observation is invalid.
    Incidentally, there are no houses left or right at junction 14. Maybe a few miles back, but not around that junction.

Edit: you did say south of that junction. Perhaps a line of houses South of Monasterevin.

Second incidentally, check your cabin filter yourself. Mechanics invariable NEVER change them.

If you are sneezing because of solid fuel emissions from a batch of houses located off a motorway, and you're displacing AIR at high speed (health and safety issues if you're driving with windows down at speed?) then you'd be ill-advised to progress on into the city gridlock. I hope you don't?? If your cabin filter is below par, you might as well have your windows down fully in Dublin traffic. Head on to Micksgarage or elsewhere and replace your cabin filter yourself. Usually via or under glovebox.
    Don't trust main dealers with your air quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭blackbox

Does nobody remember the smog in West Dublin I the early eighties. The ban on smoky coal (by Mary Harney) made a huge improvement. It should be banned everywhere.
    The smoke from modern defra approved stoves is negligible.
    We need to focus attention on main offenders, not throw out the baby with the bathwater.
    Indigenous forestry should be a major source of carbon neutral energy and also benefit the national balance of payments.

Of course I'm right. Are you driving with your windows down on a motorway? Your observation is invalid.
    Incidentally, there are no houses left or right at junction 14. Maybe a few miles back, but not around that junction.

Edit: you did say south of that junction. Perhaps a line of houses South of Monasterevin.

Second incidentally, check your cabin filter yourself. Mechanics invariable NEVER change them.

If you are sneezing because of solid fuel emissions from a batch of houses located off a motorway, and you're displacing AIR at high speed (health and safety issues if you're driving with windows down at speed?) then you'd be ill-advised to progress on into the city gridlock. I hope you don't?? If your cabin filter is below par, you might as well have your windows down fully in Dublin traffic. Head on to Micksgarage or elsewhere and replace your cabin filter yourself. Usually via or under glovebox.
    Don't trust main dealers with your air quality.

could also do the windows up and put the car cabin heating system to 're-circulation mode' (normally next to hot/cold knob) but then after a while its re-used air and gets stale because no fresh air is getting into the car, and can make you tired and fog up the inside of windows

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

We've a fire on now it's so nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Christmas fires are the best. I got a load of logs in last week and they are perfect.

our local council posted this up on their facebook page today:
    Looks like they are trying to appeal to the goodwill side of the public seing as they cannot actually ban it or enforce a ban:

http://ow.ly/IFYG50xZOFx

82376894_2899290863467626_5127950334471176192_n.png?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ohc=ttPm3iImPtQAX-O0r5K&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=29e5814d2338adfc4378c636f08d3d81&oe=5E9708DB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

our local council posted this up on their facebook page today:
    Looks like they are trying to appeal to the goodwill side of the public seing as they cannot actually ban it or enforce a ban:
    ]

They can ban and enforce it & do in many areas. Today I got a delivery of coal (not in the town where only smokeless is allowed) and the coalman told me his loads had been checked twice in the past two weeks and he had to show a manifest for the smokey coal showing where the delivery was planned for. Two bags were unaccounted for and he got a warning letter about it.

This map shows the ban area in Sligo for instance.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/documents/SCB%20Sligo%20Map.pdf

They can ban and enforce it & do in many areas. Today I got a delivery of coal (not in the town where only smokeless is allowed) and the coalman told me his loads had been checked twice in the past two weeks and he had to show a manifest for the smokey coal showing where the delivery was planned for. Two bags were unaccounted for and he got a warning letter about it.

This map shows the ban area in Sligo for instance.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/documents/SCB%20Sligo%20Map.pdf

thanks , I have never seen that map. - imagine as well they are starting to enforce it properly as well.

Of course though there would be nothing stopping a coal man delivering smokey coal to a non banned area and picking up the bags of smokey coal from the non banned area, taking it back home and burning it in the banned area - most probably goes on like that anyway.

If there was an outright nationwide ban on smoky coal/fuel then it would be much better to enforce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭deezell

Nothing to stop you buying it in a store in a non ban area and driving home with it. Hardware store here on the edge of town can only sell smokeless to collect, smokey is delivery only to no ban rural homes. 3 miles away the agri store in the no ban area sells all types to collect.
    Im in rurak area, but I stopped using smoky as I had a pita cleaning the flues, so much soot. Has anyone in a smokey ban area been done for using smokey coal? It wouldn't take a genius to cop which houses were at it.

deezell wrote: »
    Nothing to stop you buying it in a store in a non ban area and driving home with it. Hardware store here on the edge of town can only sell smokeless to collect, smokey is delivery only to no ban rural homes. 3 miles away the agri store in the no ban area sells all types to collect.
    Im in rurak area, but I stopped using smoky as I had a pita cleaning the flues, so much soot. Has anyone in a smokey ban area been done for using smokey coal? It wouldn't take a genius to cop which houses were at it.

i never really thought about the soot aspect of it. - so if you were burning smokeless coal then would that mean your chimney doesnt need cleaning as much then as if you are burning smokey coal?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hyperbole and guilt tripping :eek:

If smoke affects you, wear a mask? A few cents at any pharmacy..

i love when the neighbours burn wood, means i get to choke on their fumes. But sure they are warm in cosy inside. an analogy can be drawn with sellafield nuclear powerplant. its closer to Dublin than London so any harm is suffered by someone else.

I can now only buy smokeless coal as it comes in on the community bus and the driver refuses to carry the smoky stuff and only one 20 kg bag of smokeless, which has to last the week. Wouldn't get much esb for E9

Hated it at first but with experience grand. Harder to light, but lasts a long time and gives a great heat. If I load it last thing it burns well into the night. Far more economical and efficient then smokey coal.

Mix it with island turf; a wondrous combination. Solid fuel stove that heats water excellently. Has radiators but small property so never use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Graces7 wrote: »
    I can now only buy smokeless coal as it comes in on the community bus and the driver refuses to carry the smoky stuff and only one 20 kg bag of smokeless, which has to last the week. Wouldn't get much esb for E9

Hated it at first but with experience grand. Harder to light, but lasts a long time and gives a great heat. If I load it last thing it burns well into the night. Far more economical and efficient then smokey coal.

Mix it with island turf; a wondrous combination. Solid fuel stove that heats water excellently. Has radiators but small property so never use them.
    Fair play to the driver.
    Even better would be not mixing it with turf. It's a major health hazard especially for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭deezell

Smokeless fuel at the base of a closed stove burns at much higher temperature than smokey in an open fire. This high temperature ensures a better and cleaner burn of added fuels such as seasoned timber, dry turf, briquettes etc. Flue is much cleaner. Low temperature open fire burning is the main culprit for smoke and soot, and that's before you account for the increased consumption due to inefficiency. I'm not saying a stove is perfect, but just consider that it can be 4 times more efficient, especially with a boiler, so in theory for the same amount of domestic heat you will use one quarter the fuel and burn it far more cleanly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I've never seen dry turf, unless you count peat briquettes. The bags of cut turf you get around here are always full of moisture and extremely smoky.

lol.. he is worried re his bus not the fumes! real coal is in porous sacking whereas the smokeless comes in thick plastic; more disposal problems but clean to handle

Turf is part of our island way of life. My neighbour heats his house and earns money to feed his family by the turf he cuts and sells. This is not going to change.
    Fair play to the driver.
    Even better would be not mixing it with turf. It's a major health hazard especially for kids.

We dry it of course. Leave it out by the fire.. Mine is stacked in bags outside and i always bring in for the next day early and let it dry out then. A lovely heat and little smoke

I've never seen dry turf, unless you count peat briquettes. The bags of cut turf you get around here are always full of moisture and extremely smoky.

• Advertisement

You've been sourcing it incorrectly. Turf is cut brown or slightly blacker, depending on the bog of course and also then the weather expected/hoped for. Too black and it will break up into nothing even before it's turned, never mind rowed /footed /heaped.

Turf would traditionally be left to dry on bogs, then put into sheds where it would dry even further. Black turf, dry, would, and does, blow the tops off ranges. I've seen it with Boora /Pullough turf (Pullough turf was the world's first commercial peat operation). Turf is now stored in concrete sheds, perfectly blockwork, no air, so that's why some turf doesn't dry out fully.
    Well saved turf is as hard as a brick.

Advertisement