Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Solar Hot Water tubes

Options
  • 16-01-2020 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Solar hot water tubes
    I understand Kingspan was the king but they no longer mnf them. Anyone recommend the best ones now. It’s for a 3 bedroom house that has a 300 litres cylinder installed on a recent plumbing upgrade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I chose the local manufacturer and supplier, Joules,in City West / Dublin.
    They have a showroom ,you can touch them and you can buy of the shelves from any building selling shops.

Make sure you get latest controller AND a variable speed pump (not the old type, static with three speeds)

Apply for the grant,its well deserved and rich enough to cover some of the cost.

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mrjoneill wrote: »
    Solar hot water tubes
    I understand Kingspan was the king but they no longer mnf them.

That's new to me! Mine are Kingspan.

I would also recommend Joule as a company. My 360l cylinder is from them and is good quality. And I've sent them an email once with a specific technical question that was not in their product spec, and they did get back to me with an answer. Also good to support a local Irish small business.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

unkel wrote: »
    That's new to me! Mine are Kingspan.

I would also recommend Joule as a company. My 360l cylinder is from them and is good quality. And I've sent them an email once with a specific technical question that was not in their product spec, and they did get back to me with an answer. Also good to support a local Irish small business.
    Tks look at the Kingspan website, its no longer listed.

rolion wrote: »
    I chose the local manufacturer and supplier, Joules,in City West / Dublin.
    They have a showroom ,you can touch them and you can buy of the shelves from any building selling shops.

Make sure you get latest controller AND a variable speed pump (not the old type, static with three speeds)

Apply for the grant,its well deserved and rich enough to cover some of the cost.

Enjoy it.
    Tks

Was considering putting in a solar panel (pv) with a low voltage pump for same.

http://www.solarpanelsplus.com/pdfs/commercial-solar-pump-dc-na26711.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Tks

Was considering putting in a solar panel (pv) with a low voltage pump for same.

http://www.solarpanelsplus.com/pdfs/commercial-solar-pump-dc-na26711.pdf

The pump is controlled by the controller.
    Mine is 220V and framed on the piping circuit.
    It has only 3 steps and is 0 or 100.
    Heard about the variable speed pump but cannot fit it.

Not worth to tamper with the ideea of PV, very dangerous in case something goes wrong,thats a potential of hot temperatures to do some damage to the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Tks look at the Kingspan website, its no longer listed.

if you go to the retrofit section of website and scroll down products the solar is in it

rolion wrote: »
    The pump is controlled by the controller.
    Mine is 220V and framed on the piping circuit.
    It has only 3 steps and is 0 or 100.
    Heard about the variable speed pump but cannot fit it.

Not worth to tamper with the ideea of PV, very dangerous in case something goes wrong,thats a potential of hot temperatures to do some damage to the system.
    Tks, I would see it running in parallel with the mains pump this being isolated with it acting as backup for failure. I would see the low voltage pump being self regulating by the pv panel, when the sun shines there will be power for the pump to carry off the heat from the panel and its speed by the intensity of the sun. With a monitoring temp alarm build in would reduce the chances of unmonitored failure happening. Obv there is the need for caution when dealing with very hot liquid.

dathi wrote: »
    if you go to the retrofit section of website and scroll down products the solar is in it

Tks was told by an installer they had stopped selling them. Will give them a ring to verify the situ.

Advertisement