Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect on first antenatal clinic visit?

Options
  • 17-01-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭

I am 13 weeks pregnant and have my first antenatal clinic appointment. It says appointment may take upto 2.5 hours and I am wondering what kind of tests are done?

I am based in Limerick city and I read online that they don't do anamoly scan routinely,which is shocking. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

As far as I can remember, it's usually a urine sample, blood pressure and weight checks, blood tests. Maybe they'll take your booking history too, in which case they go through family history etc.

It's terrible that anomaly scans are not routine throughout the country. I attended the Coombe and had one, and the above outline is what was involved in my first two appointments, my booking history was a separate appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Lots of questions about your medical history, family medical history etc, they will ask some questions about domestic violence (which increases during pregnancy). Urine test. They didn’t do any blood draw at mine. I had to bring my GP blood results. They will provide information on healthy eating, no smoking, drinking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

I’m attending limerick maternity too. The first visit is as described above- don’t forget to bring a urine sample. Also I would recommend arriving early and you may not be too long. Parking can be tricky(i think you can park in the strand hotel at a cost if car park is full). I got an anomaly scan as it is our first and im over 35.. i have found the service to be great there- i got bloods on my 13 week visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for the info. I will check out the car park a day before my visit just to familiarise with that area, never been to that side of the city.

Tipp star wrote: »
    I’m attending limerick maternity too. The first visit is as described above- don’t forget to bring a urine sample. Also I would recommend arriving early and you may not be too long. Parking can be tricky(i think you can park in the strand hotel at a cost if car park is full). I got an anomaly scan as it is our first and im over 35.. i have found the service to be great there- i got bloods on my 13 week visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This is the rotunda’s version:

https://rotunda.ie/first-visit/

Limerick will be similar.

Advertisement