Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5k training - plans, recommendations, advice, etc

• 14-01-2020 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hello all - I'm looking to tackle a 5k early in the year and from reading the 2020 goals thread I think there are a few others who will be going in hunt of a 5k PB. So I thought I might start a thread where those who are taking on a 5k or have done so in the past could share advice, recommendations, what works, etc.

My goal is to try to go sub-20 (current PB is 20.52 - so I'm a fair bit off)

At the moment I'm planning on using these workouts in advance of a 5k race.
    https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/best-5k-workout/
    Will supplement sessions with easy running (40 - 50 mins during the week, 2 longer runs at weekends) and thinking that I'll add some tempo (10-15 mins) to one other run a week

Are there better plan options? Personally, I find these 'looser' plans better for me; but maybe I need a more structured plan for this target....

What else will be needed - any recommendations for building speed?
    Strides? Hill runs? Sprints? How often, when?

Above is an 8 week plan - so would be taking on a 5k in early March. If anyone has any race recommendations around this time that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Hello all - I'm looking to tackle a 5k early in the year and from reading the 2020 goals thread I think there are a few others who will be going in hunt of a 5k PB. So I thought I might start a thread where those who are taking on a 5k or have done so in the past could share advice, recommendations, what works, etc.

My goal is to try to go sub-20 (current PB is 20.52 - so I'm a fair bit off)

At the moment I'm planning on using these workouts in advance of a 5k race.
    https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/best-5k-workout/
    Will supplement sessions with easy running (40 - 50 mins during the week, 2 longer runs at weekends) and thinking that I'll add some tempo (10-15 mins) to one other run a week

Are there better plan options? Personally, I find these 'looser' plans better for me; but maybe I need a more structured plan for this target....

What else will be needed - any recommendations for building speed?
    Strides? Hill runs? Sprints? How often, when?

Above is an 8 week plan - so would be taking on a 5k in early March. If anyone has any race recommendations around this time that would be great!

Below will give you all the ingredients for a solid 5k plan

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20806851/solving-the-5k-puzzle/

MSB 5k in town Paddy's weekend one of the fastest around at this time of year (and one of the few chances to race on the streets of Dublin city)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

KSU wrote: »
    Below will give you all the ingredients for a solid 5k plan

https://www.runnersworld.com/advanced/a20806851/solving-the-5k-puzzle/

MSB 5k in town Paddy's weekend one of the fastest around at this time of year (and one of the few chances to race on the streets of Dublin city)

Thanks for the link - looks like a very useful resource.

Being totally honest with myself it is highly unlikely that I will do any form drills - but will definitely work hill runs into the schedule now. Will print to digest the rest of the material.

The Race on St. Patricks wknd looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

I was in the exact same boat as you this time last year, right down to the exact same current pb. :)

I had a successful year, hitting my sub 20 goal in May.

For me the most important decision I made in January was scrapping my idea of a late Feb race and instead beginning 12 weeks of mileage and base building. Was a tough decision as all I wanted to do was race but I would not have hit my goal had I not.

I began an 8 week 5k plan in March and targeted Bob Heffernan in May.

Obv you may have the mileage and base right now, and in that case you're good to go. I think you really need to be running at least 30 mpw currently to begin a plan.

My plan consisted of mostly aerobic running with a Vo2max session and a progression long run every week. Strides also most weeks.

The main tip I could give about racing 5k is to expect pain and deal with it correctly. Took me a while to learn how to deal with it, or more precisely, the anxiety around it. You can get into a real negative headspace, thinking you're about to die. That headspace kills your race.

Relish it, the earlier it comes on the better, you want to be in pain after a mile. Getting into a positive headspace around it, localising it and realising it's normal and a sign you're racing a great race is how you want to be experiencing it.

Best of luck, you're in for a really enjoyable time. I had an awesome year focussing on 5k.

Lazare wrote: »
    I was in the exact same boat as you this time last year, right down to the exact same current pb. :)

I had a successful year, hitting my sub 20 goal in May.

For me the most important decision I made in January was scrapping my idea of a late Feb race and instead beginning 12 weeks of mileage and base building. Was a tough decision as all I wanted to do was race but I would not have hit my goal had I not.

I began a 12 week 5k plan in March and targeted Bob Heffernan in May.

Obv you may have the mileage and base right now, and in that case you're good to go. I think you really need to be running at least 30 mpw currently to begin a plan.

My plan consisted of mostly aerobic running with a Vo2max session and a progression long run every week. Strides also most weeks.

The main tip I could give about racing 5k is to expect pain and deal with it correctly. Took me a while to learn how to deal with it, or more precisely, the anxiety around it. You can get into a real negative headspace, thinking you're about to die. That headspace kills your race.

Relish it, the earlier it comes on the better, you want to be in pain after a mile. Getting into a positive headspace around it, localising it and realising it's normal and a sign you're racing a great race is how you want to be experiencing it.

Best of luck, you're in for a really enjoyable time. I had an awesome year focussing on 5k.

Cheers Lazare - I followed your log last year and it was definitely a factor in me deciding to concentrate on 5k this year.

I'm betwixt and between on where my aerobic base is at the mo - I def had a very good endurance after DCM last year but mileage has been slashed subsequently. Running low - mid 20 mpw at the moment; but was hoping to have it ramped up to 30s this week! (bit of a jump but think its achievable without negative ramifications).

That's a good tip around the pain and the head being something that is important!

Cheers Lazare - I followed your log last year and it was definitely a factor in me deciding to concentrate on 5k this year.

I'm betwixt and between on where my aerobic base is at the mo - I def had a very good endurance after DCM last year but mileage has been slashed subsequently. Running low - mid 20 mpw at the moment; but was hoping to have it ramped up to 30s this week! (bit of a jump but think its achievable without negative ramifications).

That's a good tip around the pain and the head being something that is important!

Well you're definitely in a stronger position than I was last year, I don't think I ran more than about 12 a week in Dec.

I would still be a little careful about the sudden ramp, maybe spread it over a couple of weeks??

I spectated at that MSB Paddy's day race last year and it's a great one, the profile seems ideal for a targetted attempt. Gonna sign up for it myself.

You will smash sub 20 btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

5km thread? Follows! :D

Well you're definitely in a stronger position than I was last year, I don't think I ran more than about 12 a week in Dec.

I would still be a little careful about the sudden ramp, maybe spread it over a couple of weeks??

I spectated at that MSB Paddy's day race last year and it's a great one, the profile seems ideal for a targetted attempt. Gonna sign up for it myself.

You will smash sub 20 btw.

Thanks - will be careful about ramping up mileage!

Have been reading a bit about the 5k (Thanks KSU for very informative article) and I'm looking forward to this challenge now. It will push me out of the comfort zone that I had I think and will force me into developing new and hopefully beneficial (for the longer term) patterns and habits.

1. Getting back into doing strides
    2. Adding in hill runs regularly

At the moment I'm thinking I will alternate hill sprints and hill runs on a weekly basis

Also saw somewhere else about downhill running for speed building - anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Also saw somewhere else about downhill running for speed building - anyone have any thoughts on this?

Avoid outside of your normal easy runs.

This will load the quads eccentrically and given that many Irish (and indeed the generally running public) tend to be more prone towards anterior pelvic tilt the injury risk to reward ratio is off the charts.

Top en speed is rarely the issue with 5k runners. Strides, max hill sprints (i.e 6-8 seconds with really long recovery) and general strength and conditioning will give you all the speed you need.

KSU wrote: »
    Avoid outside of your normal easy runs.

This will load the quads eccentrically and given that many Irish (and indeed the generally running public) tend to be more prone towards anterior pelvic tilt the injury risk to reward ratio is off the charts.

Top en speed is rarely the issue with 5k runners. Strides, max hill sprints (i.e 6-8 seconds with really long recovery) and general strength and conditioning will give you all the speed you need.

Advice noted!!! No downhills! Was actually a bit afraid of falling on my face if I attempted it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Oh super - planning an assault on the sub 20 5k myself this year so I'll follow this thread with interest!

All I'll add for now is to think about targeting a cluster of (maybe 3) 5k races over a number of weeks, rather than just a single goal race. 5k's can take a bit of getting used to, but the recovery is relatively quick, which gives a chance to learn any lessons from the first race and go again soon after. I'm by no means an expert but that's my plan based on what I've picked up from others here over the past while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I found running Parkruns great when starting with 5k races. You get a great feel for the distance and learn things like warming up, positioning yourself at the start and getting through the first 100m of the race, going out to fast for the first 1k (I had a big problem with this), not trying to keep up with someone who’s sprinting off into the distance, grinding through the 4th km when you think you’re going to die and then finishing strong, sprinting and emptying the tank on the final stretch. When training for a marathon you can’t do practice races due to the distance but you can for 5k. Even running them at 80% effort you’ll learn a lot which you can use race day. You’ll have the experience, confidence and know what will happen come goal race.

This assumes you do the other training and follow the above posts and suggestions.

5k is my favourite race distance. I actually think it's a very hard one to get right and I struggle with it. After a solid training block I think you need to aim at maybe three races over 8 weeks or so to get the head and body race ready. Also I'm a metric runner but my race strategy for 5k is in miles. The 1st mile you'll be switched on and working a good bit but this needs to be controlled not to over cook it. The 2nd mile I always find the hardest. You have to concentrate here as you'll start to hurt. I think this mile will make or break your race. You need to keep pushing on. Once the final mile comes around I find the adrenaline kicking in if I race mile 2 well and seem to forget about the hurting. Start to empty that tank progressively on this mile. The last 200 will take care of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

5k is my favourite race distance. I actually think it's a very hard one to get right and I struggle with it.

It's also one where small gains are big achievements. Knocking 10s off your pb in the 5K is a lot more meaningful than doing it over 26.2 miles. Especially when you get down to the faster end of the scale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for the thread. I've been thinking along the same lines and wondering how to skin this particular cat, watched a few videos. I'm doing a marathon in May, so 5k will wait until later in the year. Current PBs are 21:30 for parkrun (March 2019) and 21:21 at Docklands from last year. However, I ran 22:22 at parkrun a few weeks ago and it was a slog with the upper half of the body, tbh. Not that I've done much since DCM, only wrapping up the base plan now.

I read most of the article KSU linked above on the bus the other morning, very helpful. Something from it jumped out at me, I'll try to find it again. My working idea after the forthcoming marathon was that I'd do the usual grads base plan and the 5-10k one. Used it for Wexford 10k, iirc. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOkLQ_a9NHWe97yaRkfF6ArFmCHmtf9y1tU0LR7uMr8/ Assuming 3 weeks off after the marathon, 20 (6+14) weeks after that's early October for a 5k.

I'd like to get low 20:XX. Dunno about 19:59! :o I am tipping away with yoga, pilates and some strengthening where I can. I think the main sticking point at the moment is whether the hills/CV/AP/Vo2 stuff (by pace) will help me get the job done. It certainly seemed to for Wexford 10k. But yeah, I'd love to finish a 5k having given it everything. Definitely some learning in Lazare's headspace point, I think.

Let's get it done.

I began an 8 week 5k plan in March and targeted Bob Heffernan in May.

Might be important, I'm not sure but I have this the wrong way around. I did 8 weeks of base and 12 weeks specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

I got some great advice last year about the different type of runners, regarding fast twitch and slow twitch muscle groups. I fall into the fast twitch variety so I needed to work on my endurance to improve my 5k time. My OH is slow twitch, much faster than me over longer distances but finds the 5k racing totally different to me.

Took this quote from that thread
    Definition of Fast Twitch Runner:

Miles 0-.75: This is too easy.
    Miles .75-1.5: This is about right.
    Miles 1.5-2: This is too hard.
    Miles 2-3: There is no god

Definition of Slow Twitch Runner:

Maybe I'm not doing it right but I skip right to "This is too hard" when running a 5K.

This is exactly how we both felt when running together in a 5k race, even when we finished around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good thread, best of luck with it hedgehoggy. I think a sub-20 5k is a formidable target, and a much more significant achievement for female runners. I’ve had some success by following dedicated schedules from Pfitzinger & Latter’s ‘Faster Road Racing’ and Matt Fitzgerald’s ‘80/20 Running’. It’s all about addressing particular weaknesses, I think, and the mental aspects discussed above. Also good to pick a fast race with plenty of depth to pull you along. All the best, following with interest!

Good thread, best of luck with it hedgehoggy. I think a sub-20 5k is a formidable target, and a much more significant achievement for female runners. I’ve had some success by following dedicated schedules from Pfitzinger & Latter’s ‘Faster Road Racing’ and Matt Fitzgerald’s ‘80/20 Running’. It’s all about addressing particular weaknesses, I think, and the mental aspects discussed above. Also good to pick a fast race with plenty of depth to pull you along. All the best, following with interest!

Thanks for the thread. I've been thinking along the same lines and wondering how to skin this particular cat, watched a few videos. I'm doing a marathon in May, so 5k will wait until later in the year. Current PBs are 21:30 for parkrun (March 2019) and 21:21 at Docklands from last year. However, I ran 22:22 at parkrun a few weeks ago and it was a slog with the upper half of the body, tbh. Not that I've done much since DCM, only wrapping up the base plan now.

Thanks! This thread has been very helpful to me already and will definitely look up the plans mentioned above Murph. It's also great that others are coming along on the 5k train!!!

The thing that has most stood out from advice here is that is that proper preparation and mindset is going to absolutely vital.... I know that should probably have gone without saying, but, as Mellow said, there's a lot to put together to get a good 5k and there are lots of elements that I'll need to build into a plan.

I did 8 weeks of base and 12 weeks specific

I'm currently following an 8 week plan, but after reflecting I think I'll need to take a somewhat longer-term view to this like Guappa target a cluster of races rather than a single race.

On a positive note - did my first session in the plan last night 12x400mtr repeats and it went fairly well. Was thinking of building a few long hill runs into my run tonight, but back-to-back sessions might not be the best idea

Hedgehoggy wrote:
    On a positive note - did my first session in the plan last night 12x400mtr repeats and it went fairly well. Was thinking of building a few long hill runs into my run tonight, but back-to-back sessions might not be the best idea

Correct! Rome wasn't built in a day. The biggest gains are made with long term view and smart training. Stress, recover adapt. Especially with 5k and 10k training you really don't need to overdo it. Two sessions, one long run and the rest easy/shorter. Adding in strides and short hill sprints at the right times will benefit you but certainly don't do back to back sessions.

Correct! Rome wasn't built in a day. The biggest gains are made with long term view and smart training. Stress, recover adapt. Especially with 5k and 10k training you really don't need to overdo it. Two sessions, one long run and the rest easy/shorter. Adding in strides and short hill sprints at the right times will benefit you but certainly don't do back to back sessions.

Quick follow-up question on this - are short hill sprints not considered a 'session'? Have worked out a plan for myself with short hill sprints every second week (alternated with longer hill runs). First set of hill sprints are scheduled for Thursday morn - but if this isn't a session then should I be adding something else to the week? Maybe some tempo running?

Also are there any recommendations around doing strides relative to when you do your sessions during the week. So, did a session last night - would it be too much to do strides tonight?

• Advertisement

Disclaimer - these are just my opinions.
    Hedgehoggy wrote:
    Quick follow-up question on this - are short hill sprints not considered a 'session'? Have worked out a plan for myself with short hill sprints every second week (alternated with longer hill runs). First set of hill sprints are scheduled for Thursday morn - but if this isn't a session then should I be adding something else to the week? Maybe some tempo running?

It depends what you mean by hill sprints. My definition of hill sprints are short 8 to 12s all out sprints up a hill with full recovery. Those I would use for developing neurological pathways. You'll see the likes of AMK include those a lot after an easy run along with some strides. I don't consider them a session. They are not for fitness reasons.

In terms of hill sessions you'll see anything from 40s to 2min Hill intervals at 5k effort. These are not sprints but focus on form and turnover. These are what I would consider a session. They are a standalone full on session.

In terms of how you structure all of that together it's really not that simple. It depends where you are at with your training and how you're phasing things. For me Im coming back from injury so what I do could look very differently to what you do. I've avoided hill work for the past while as they are not ideal for someone with lower cross issues. I'll reintroduce Hill work over the next while albeit conservatively.

I don't have a clearcut answer for you but what I would say is hills are great to have in your plan and short hill sprints should probably feature all year round after easy runs. Hill intervals should not though. As you move towards a target race the sessions should become more specific to the race distance you're targeting and while hills make you fitter (at the right time) they don't necessarily gear you towards the specific demands of a 5k.
    You definitely should have some tempo/threshold work at some point in your plan.
    Hedgehoggy wrote:
    Also are there any recommendations around doing strides relative to when you do your sessions during the week. So, did a session last night - would it be too much to do strides tonight?

I tend to stay cautious on that front and keep one strides session per week. This usually falls two days after my last session but the day before my next session. I'll listen to my body. I'll never do strides if I'm in recovery mode but wouldn't rule them out if the session the day before wasn't overly taxing.

Disclaimer - these are just my opinions.

It depends what you mean by hill sprints. My definition of hill sprints are short 8 to 12s all out sprints up a hill with full recovery. Those I would use for developing neurological pathways. You'll see the likes of AMK include those a lot after an easy run along with some strides. I don't consider them a session. They are not for fitness reasons.

In terms of hill sessions you'll see anything from 40s to 2min Hill intervals at 5k effort. These are not sprints but focus on form and turnover. These are what I would consider a session. They are a standalone full on session.

In terms of how you structure all of that together it's really not that simple. It depends where you are at with your training and how you're phasing things. For me Im coming back from injury so what I do could look very differently to what you do. I've avoided hill work for the past while as they are not ideal for someone with lower cross issues. I'll reintroduce Hill work over the next while albeit conservatively.

I don't have a clearcut answer for you but what I would say is hills are great to have in your plan and short hill sprints should probably feature all year round after easy runs. Hill intervals should not though. As you move towards a target race the sessions should become more specific to the race distance you're targeting and while hills make you fitter (at the right time) they don't necessarily gear you towards the specific demands of a 5k.
    You definitely should have some tempo/threshold work at some point in your plan.

I tend to stay cautious on that front and keep one strides session per week. This usually falls two days after my last session but the day before my next session. I'll listen to my body. I'll never do strides if I'm in recovery mode but wouldn't rule them out if the session the day before wasn't overly taxing.

Thanks Swashbuckler - I was planning short sprints - 10 secs; so I should see these as more akin to strides, rather than a session. Thanks, that's helpful!!

This will be a new element to a training phase for me, so for the time being I think I'll be cautious and see how I get on with them without adding in another session. More and more, I'm beginning to see this phase as a 'practice' phase where I'm learning about different types of sessions which I can build on later in the spring.

Hedgehoggy wrote:
    This will be a new element to a training phase for me, so for the time being I think I'll be cautious and see how I get on with them without adding in another session. More and more, I'm beginning to see this phase as a 'practice' phase where I'm learning about different types of sessions which I can build on later in the spring.

That's the right attitude to have I think.

Definitely being cautious is smart. See how the body responds and build slowly. Consistency is key. If you can undercook regularly and stay consistent then you'll gain more in the long term than overcooking and getting injured.

Main thing with the Hill sprints is short and low quantity and build them up. Again using AMK as an example he didn't just start with 8x12s sprints. He built up to that.

Definitely being cautious is smart. See how the body responds and build slowly. Consistency is key. If you can undercook regularly and stay consistent then you'll gain more in the long term than overcooking and getting injured.

Main thing with the Hill sprints is short and low quantity and build them up. Again using AMK as an example he didn't just start with 8x12s sprints. He built up to that.
    I agree pretty much with this. I'd describe myself as a 5 to 10k runner. Just to add to it. I'd advise anyone adding short hill sprints to the end of a easy run to start of with strides then progress to short flat sprints, then move on to hills. I tend to add strides to my to my easy runs the day before faster track sessions and hill sprints the day before a tempo session. So the week for me is Monday rest day, Tuesday easy with strides, Wednesday track session, Thursday easy medium long, Friday easy with hills, Saturday tempo, Sunday long run. I prefer to do them the day before a session as I think it puts a spring in my step. So I think find a balance that works for you and listen to your body. Keep them short and look to build them up slowly

I agree pretty much with this. I'd describe myself as a 5 to 10k runner. Just to add to it. I'd advise anyone adding short hill sprints to the end of a easy run to start of with strides then progress to short flat sprints, then move on to hills. I tend to add strides to my to my easy runs the day before faster track sessions and hill sprints the day before a tempo session. So the week for me is Monday rest day, Tuesday easy with strides, Wednesday track session, Thursday easy medium long, Friday easy with hills, Saturday tempo, Sunday long run. I prefer to do them the day before a session as I think it puts a spring in my step. So I think find a balance that works for you and listen to your body. Keep them short and look to build them up slowly

Thanks for detail on strides, sprints and hill sprints - much appreciated! Tried a short set this morning and it went OK - will aim for consistency and building up time and reps over the next few months.

Hello all... resurrecting this thread to throw out a question

Have been following a 5k plan of sorts, which I finished last week (last session was 5 x 1k repeats) - but I'm not taking on a race until the 15th (MSB 5k*)

Was wondering what others would do this week - had been toying with a couple of options:
    Repeat the 5 x 1k session
    Do 3 x 1 mile
    Take on a race this weekend - there is a 2m cross country or a local 5k on fairly locally to me.

What would be best? I'm leaning towards the 3 x 1 m repeats but maybe also doing a short time trial at the weekend....

*If it goes ahead

TBH - I don't think I'll pull off a sub-20 in 2 weeks time but should be a good gauge of whether the training is working or not....

Here's two 5k sessions if you're near peak, not sure if your at that level

2k @5k pace, 3x1km tempo, 1k @3k pace

2mile @10k pace, 1mile @5k pace, 1km @3k pace, 1mile cruise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just found this thread - great to see it.

From a quick read of the posts - one of the things I would do if targeting a PB would be to target a 'timeframe' and run a few 5k's within that timeframe- rather than targeting just 1 goal race.

The experience is better I think for the athlete in that you are more relaxed going into each individual race (its not built up internally) - some of my more enjoyable 5ks were last spring/summer - I done a few in a row and while they were tough (& I hated them :) ) - they were more enjoyable than Jingle Bells in December where I put all my eggs in 1 basket.

If you dont hit your goal in a goal race (but run a decent time) , the 'after' experience is terrible but if you run a decent race in a non goal race then the 'after' experience' is quite motivational.

I ran Enfield and Rathfarnam 5k's at different times of the year - ran decent times with low expectations (17.35 & 17.36) - left both happy and energized - then trained specifically for a 5k at jingle bells - ran faster (17.33) and felt $hite about the whole thing - before, during and after.

Does this make sense or am I starting to ramble............

Here's two 5k sessions if you're near peak, not sure if your at that level

2k @5k pace, 3x1km tempo, 1k @3k pace

2mile @10k pace, 1mile @5k pace, 1km @3k pace, 1mile cruise

These look like great sessions - but I think they are probably too big a step in comparison to the sessions I've been doing at the moment. I plan to continue to focus on 5k, so hoping in the next phase I'll be able to slot in the above sessions. Out of interest, are these based on a plan or are they from experience?

Just found this thread - great to see it.

From a quick read of the posts - one of the things I would do if targeting a PB would be to target a 'timeframe' and run a few 5k's within that timeframe- rather than targeting just 1 goal race.

The experience is better I think for the athlete in that you are more relaxed going into each individual race (its not built up internally) - some of my more enjoyable 5ks were last spring/summer - I done a few in a row and while they were tough (& I hated them :) ) - they were more enjoyable than Jingle Bells in December where I put all my eggs in 1 basket.

If you dont hit your goal in a goal race (but run a decent time) , the 'after' experience is terrible but if you run a decent race in a non goal race then the 'after' experience' is quite motivational.

I ran Enfield and Rathfarnam 5k's at different times of the year - ran decent times with low expectations (17.35 & 17.36) - left both happy and energized - then trained specifically for a 5k at jingle bells - ran faster (17.33) and felt $hite about the whole thing - before, during and after.

Does this make sense or am I starting to ramble............

Absolutely makes sense - I'm definitely going to take on a few 5ks now over the coming months. I've only ever done a 5k three times before and around 4 or 5 10k races. So my experience of 'racing' is actually very limited. From reading above, the 5k will need a little bit of practice. More generally, one of the things I said I would do a bit more this year was to jump into more races and get out there more

• Advertisement

These look like great sessions - but I think they are probably too big a step in comparison to the sessions I've been doing at the moment. I plan to continue to focus on 5k, so hoping in the next phase I'll be able to slot in the above sessions. Out of interest, are these based on a plan or are they from experience?
    I did those two sessions along with tempo sessions in the weeks before Rathfarham last year where I got a PB. I found them really hard tbh. I'm coached so they aren't out plan as such

Advertisement