Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ye Olde Watch Giveaway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

893bet wrote: »
    My name should not have been in list?

Bit of a moot point, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

893bet wrote: »
    My name should not have been in list?

You had thanked the post. No harm done :p

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I thought I was definitely on the list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Birneybau wrote: »
    You had thanked the post. No harm done :p

Ah! Totally didn’t read the post....! Whoops.

Was thanking the gesture rather than entering as I think this is a great thread.

Bit of a moot point, really.

I guess but technically by being entered I changed the random result!

oxocube wrote: »
    I thought I was definitely on the list :(

Sorry chief, I literally copied those that thanked the post and threw in Garrr as he/she/whatever specifically asked to be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Thanks so much Birneybau, what a great prize to wine. Really appreciate the gesture!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Right folks, the below are those in the draw for the Vostok

Hahaha, I hadn't meant to be included in the draw. I'm away on holidays and trying to keep up to date with the forum. Was just thanking you for your generosity. I clearly hadn't read the post correctly. Everyone goes to bed fierce early here and I was catching up post 12am!

Congrats to Pablo.

Hahaha, I hadn't meant to be included in the draw. I'm away on holidays and trying to keep up to date with the forum. Was just thanking you for your generosity. I clearly hadn't read the post correctly. Everyone goes to bed fierce early here and I was catching up post 12am!

Congrats to Pablo.

Soooo, 893bet and you ruined the draw? I'm afraid there'll have to be a public enquiry. And possibly a redraw.

Psssst, put me in for this one.

Soooo, 893bet and you ruined the draw? I'm afraid there'll have to be a public enquiry. And possibly a redraw.

Psssst, put me in for this one.

I can't break poor Pablo's heart. Let's just be thankful, on Santa's birthday, that it all worked out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That's great, congrats to the lucky winner.

I wasn't supposed to be in the list either. 🙂

As a long time Vostok fan, I was happy to sit this one out to get another follower in the fold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, it worked out ok. Congrats to Pablo, vostoks are a great watch. I have a similar one for almost 20 years, keeps great time still.

Sorry folks, I promised a timex but I've searched my two hideaways and can't lay my hands on it. It'll turn up, but Gawd knows when.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Would just like to wish all who have posted to this thread and especially to all who have so kindly donated a watch a very happy and peaceful new year and best wishes for 2020.

Let's get this thread moving into 2020 with a fresh giveaway. I have a boxed Casio F-91W which I've had years but have never worn- I feel it's a little small for my wrist. There's no point in having it and not wearing it- is so it's best to give it to someone who'll actually wear and use it.

s-l400.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W

Birneybau had the good idea of saying if you want to be in the draw then thank the post. Much more sensible than posting a comment. A week from today the names will go into a random generator which will pick the winner and which will be announced here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Cracking thread folks, I’ve just stumbled upon it by pure hungover accident, I don’t even own a watch but think it’s great that folk are being so generous to each other.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I’ve just stumbled upon it by pure hungover accident
    The best way Sir. No great story ever started with a glass of orange juice. :D You should join our cult drop in and have a look. The locals are mostly mad, but friendly. We'll even find you your "first";) watch... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

A day late but better late than never. The lucky recipient of the F-91W is:

Deusexmachina

Pop me a PM chief and I'll get this off to you asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Just found this thread myself. Between the Post Pics of your Watch thread and the Who Watches the Watchmen thread you are definitely sparking my interest in nicer watches.

Does anyone know Deusexmachina in reality? I've not heard from him so will give it a few days more and if I don't hear from him, it'll have to be drawn again.

Does anyone know Deusexmachina in reality? I've not heard from him so will give it a few days more and if I don't hear from him, it'll have to be drawn again.

This seems to be a bit a problem here. People wander into this thread, put their name down for a watch and are never heard of again.

Need some sort of way of voting between the regulars and controlled by the moderators.

I sent a practically brand new watch to someone on this thread and he's never been seen again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

Kintarō Hattori did say in the OP that it was for forum regulars. Should there be a minimum post count?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Ryath wrote: »
    Kintarō Hattori did say in the OP that it was for forum regulars. Should there be a minimum post count?
    Need some sort of way of voting between the regulars and controlled by the moderators.

I agree with this in principle, but it would be a nightmare to police on an open forum I think.

There are often wander ins, and indeed that's how I 1st found this forum.
    I love the give away thread, it's such a lovely way to share our interest with others and keep things ticking over ;)

I'd worry that limiting access to the raffles could make this sub appear cliquey?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Ryath

It's nice to get new faces and all but I don't think a 10 post count would be too much or appear cliquey. I wandered in by accident years ago myself!

There has been a few fly by ones entering. I recognize most of those who enter as regulars here. Wouldn't usually be too many usernames to check their post count in the watch forum.

Wibbs call I suppose he is the Boss!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I reckon a ten post count limit is a very good start.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I reckon a ten post count limit is a very good start.

I think this is fair considering the spirit of this thead.

It was created so that we could give away a watch that was getting little wrist time to another person with an interest in watches. Not to give freebies to the general public, even if the watch has little monetry value.

I don't think this is elitest in the slightest. Someone without an interest in watches shouldn't be asking for a Vostok or Retro Casio.

Just went back through the tread and there was a suggestion of a donation to charity before the watch was shipped.

Wonder if this would help along with the minimum number of posts.

I think this is fair considering the spirit of this thead.

It was created so that we could give away a watch that was getting little wrist time to another person with an interest in watches. Not to give freebies to the general public, even if the watch has little monetry value.

I don't think this is elitest in the slightest. Someone without an interest in watches shouldn't be asking for a Vostok or Retro Casio.

Tbh I was glad Pablo won the Vostok. I put some people with very low post counts into the draw and to be honest, I would have found it hard to send to some randomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Tbh I was glad Pablo won the Vostok. I put some people with very low post counts into the draw and to be honest, I would have found it hard to send to some randomer.

Same here, definitely would be looking at post history before the "random" draw :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I'd suggest that each giveaway is posted in a new thread. I'd guess (and maybe Wibbs can confirm?) that there have been a good few people who have followed this thread soely with a view to being notified when there is a new watch on the block. At least that way, someone would actually have to come into the forum and browse before they'd know about it.

I think the spirit and intent behind this thread is just wonderful and would love to imagine that every watch goes to someone who will enjoy, treasure and be grateful for it.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    It's nice to get new faces and all but I don't think a 10 post count would be too much or appear cliquey. I wandered in by accident years ago myself!

Is that a 10 post count across Boards or I assume within the forum itself? I've not heard from the poster so will give it to the end of the day. If they haven't gotten in touch then let's run it again and we'll agree a template here for going forward.

Advertisement