Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spawell Golf Academy

• 08-09-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Looks like the Spawell have some set up going now and a huge list of coaches.

Has anyone had a lesson there yet? Looking to book one this week but not sure which is the best option if anyone had any experience with them. Mid to high handicapper looking to build a swing and have a winter of pain to fix this over the top.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

kod12 wrote: »

Has anyone had a lesson there yet? Looking to book one this week but not sure which is the best option if anyone had any experience with them. Mid to high handicapper looking to build a swing and have a winter of pain to fix this over the top.

Cheers in advance

I'm sure that the lad playing out of the Spawell who shot 50 over par in a recent Europro event has plenty in common with mid to high handicappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Cheers in advance
    Have had lessons in the spawell in the past, but not since its reopened.

If you post a list of names people might be able to comment

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Have had lessons in the spawell in the past, but not since its reopened.

If you post a list of names people might be able to comment

Colin Moriarity who has won a number of the pro-ams on the Irish circuit this year is giving lessons there. Haven’t had a lesson from him but 2 of my friends have and were positive about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

Brendan McDaid
    John Dignam
    David Keating:
    Gary Murphy:
    Tim Rice:
    Colm Moriarty:

That’s the list of coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ooops, he who is not supposed to be mentioned!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Seve OB wrote: »
    ooops, he who is not supposed to be mentioned!!!

??

newport2 wrote: »
    ??

Check the charter, no discussion of he who shall not be named allowed in the Golf Forum

Check the charter, no discussion of he who shall not be named allowed in the Golf Forum

My bad, message deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Eh?! Why is that rule there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

fullstop wrote: »
    Eh?! Why is that rule there?

I am also intrigued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Ken Doherty practicing there today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Has anyone used the trackman/toptracer at the Spawell yet? Is the set-up good?

Has anyone used the trackman/toptracer at the Spawell yet? Is the set-up good?

Have used the Toptracer yeah. Was curious to see whats its like. Its not as detailed in terms of info relative to trackman, as its tracking ball flight, rather than impact data.

So you can't get any impact/club path/ball speed, etc... info from it. You're primarily getting distance/ball flight data. I think that it adjusts for the golf balls with the distance for the output it gives, basically increases the distance by around 10% to compensate for the range balls. It gives you actual distance, as well as adjusted distance on the app

All of the bays that use it are in the upstairs section of the range, so if the weather is bad, you're somewhat exposed to the elements. So I would likely try do it on a calm day if you want anything meaningful.

There is the option to play a virtual golf course, which seems pretty good & could be a bit of craic with a couple of mates. you pick a target on the range & it gives you the line of the course that you're hitting.

They also have competitions, such as long drive too

I found that there were a few times that it didn't pick up the ball when I was hitting wedges (sand/lob). I'm not sure if its related to the ball launch height resulting in the cameras not picking the ball up, especially if its launching up into a cloudy/grey sky.

I think its something like €20 for a medium bucket, and €22 to go for the large.

I enjoyed it myself, but would take a trackman session over it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have used the Toptracer yeah. Was curious to see whats its like. Its not as detailed in terms of info relative to trackman, as its tracking ball flight, rather than impact data.

So you can't get any impact/club path/ball speed, etc... info from it. You're primarily getting distance/ball flight data. I think that it adjusts for the golf balls with the distance for the output it gives, basically increases the distance by around 10% to compensate for the range balls. It gives you actual distance, as well as adjusted distance on the app

All of the bays that use it are in the upstairs section of the range, so if the weather is bad, you're somewhat exposed to the elements. So I would likely try do it on a calm day if you want anything meaningful.

There is the option to play a virtual golf course, which seems pretty good & could be a bit of craic with a couple of mates. you pick a target on the range & it gives you the line of the course that you're hitting.

I found that there were a few times that it didn't pick up the ball when I was hitting wedges (sand/lob). I'm not sure if its related to the ball launch height resulting in the cameras not picking the ball up, especially if its launching up into a cloudy/grey sky.

I think its something like €20 for a medium bucket, and €22 to go for the large.

I've used it a few times and while its ok, its quite expensive.

Also the alignment was a good bit off the last time I was there (was "playing" nearest the pin and hit the pin a few times but the screen showed 10 yards away) though they were working on something that day too.

I found the yardages on my shorter clubs to be way off on it. It had me hitting a sand-wedge consistently over 100 yards, which I certainly don't on the course. I found about 8 iron and longer the distances were more what I would be expecting.

Good for a bit of fun, but if it's accurate distances I was looking for I wouldn't use it myself. Anytime I've used a Trackman, it's been pretty much spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

newport2 wrote: »
    I found the yardages on my shorter clubs to be way off on it. It had me hitting a sand-wedge consistently over 100 yards, which I certainly don't on the course. I found about 8 iron and longer the distances were more what I would be expecting.

Good for a bit of fun, but if it's accurate distances I was looking for I wouldn't use it myself. Anytime I've used a Trackman, it's been pretty much spot on.

That is the data I am looking for a present. Is there anywhere in the Dublin area that I can book out a bay with the use of trackman for an hour? I lived in Sydney for a few years and there was a good selection of ranges/golf clubs with trackman bays but not to sure what’s on offer here in Dublin. Thanks for all the responses.

GreeBo wrote: »

Also the alignment was a good bit off the last time I was there (was "playing" nearest the pin and hit the pin a few times but the screen showed 10 yards away) though they were working on something that day too.

just showing off :D

That is the data I am looking for a present. Is there anywhere in the Dublin area that I can book out a bay with the use of trackman for an hour? I lived in Sydney for a few years and there was a good selection of ranges/golf clubs with trackman bays but not to sure what’s on offer here in Dublin. Thanks for all the responses.

i know carton have a good trackman set up

Agree re the alignment, took me a couple of shots at each target to figure out the actual target

The first coach in the list quoted below has his own Trackman in the Spawell. You can use it during your lesson with him. I'm sure he won't have a problem letting you pay for a lesson and then just hitting balls to gather data
    Brendan McDaid
    John Dignam
    David Keating:
    Gary Murphy:
    Tim Rice:
    Colm Moriarty:

That’s the list of coaches

• Advertisement

how do you do that facepalm emoji on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

They have recently installed TopTracer in Greystones Driving Range/Wicklow Golf academy.
    They charge an additional 3 euro for the Toptracer bays v a normal bay

I love it

It totally transforms the whole range experience for me. Rather than just banging balls down the range I loved the option to play a course.

Driver off the tee then hit an iron to an actual target distance. The "putting" is based on chipping where you chip to a flag of your choice. This for me was great as I never really spend a lot of time hitting less than full wedges and I think this will help a lot.
    The whole thing helps me to concentrate more

You see a lot of bays with more than one person in it as they play against each other.
    Great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

BraveDonut wrote: »
    They have recently installed Greystones Driving Range/Wicklow Golf academy.
    They charge an additional 3 euro for the Toptracer bays v a normal bay

I love it

It totally transforms the whole range experience for me. Rather than just banging balls down the range I loved the option to play a course.

Driver off the tee then hit an iron to an actual target distance. The "putting" is based on chipping where you chip to a flag of your choice. This for me was great as I never really spend a lot of time hitting less than full wedges and I think this will help a lot.
    The whole thing helps me to concentrate more

You see a lot of bays with more than one person in it as they play against each other.
    Great fun

I love TT in spawell but am a bit skeptical of the yardages as have hit drives on wet but calm days and it is saying 340+ where I know I can be long but that felt an exaggeration... I like it more for doing some of the tests etc to hone in the work and have some test while practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Rippeditup wrote: »
    I love TT in spawell but am a bit skeptical of the yardages as have hit drives on wet but calm days and it is saying 340+ where I know I can be long but that felt an exaggeration... I like it more for doing some of the tests etc to hone in the work and have some test while practicing.

TT can use normalization rather than track exactly what the ball is doing.

Isn't spawell significantly more than an extra €3 for TT? I think I paid €20 for a TT bay

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

TT can use normalization rather than track exactly what the ball is doing.

Isn't spawell significantly more than an extra €3 for TT? I think I paid €20 for a TT bay

EUR 8 on top of balls I thinkl

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Used the TT for the first time today in the Spawell with a friend of mine . Really enjoyed it and it definitely brings a lot more focus to a practice session.
    The chap on the desk let us get 2 large buckets of balls but didn’t mention it was only rented for an hour . It cost 10er for an extra hour but still found it good value.
    The only thing I would say is that the distances where a bit off , for instance I would hit one driver say 220 and another might say 210 when it was clear to see it went further. When playing Longest drive my friend measured 260 which was longest between us two but that particular drive was not the longest.
    The chipping used for the putting is great for practice but we found that way off . You could leave one 3 feet away and it might score you a bogey which should be 10+ feet
    I’d use the Spawell a lot and can’t wait to practice with this on my own

Advertisement