Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for thought re Gambling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

I can confirm this is categorically 100 per cent true.

I'm reminded of the story of the well known trainer of a Grand National winning favourite a few years back who had been facilitated at 50/1 by a prominent bookie a couple of days before the race.

The grim irony of betting on nags is that a select number of insiders are allowed what they want while many of the poor saps lower down the food chain working off hard work and hunches are restricted often to the bare minimum.

Joe, accept my apologies, I didn’t mean it when I said you hadn’t got a clue.

Your last point is bang on the money. Look how much money is involved and how frequent racing is. At least 30+ races every day midweek in Ireland and UK and then the weekend that figure is doubled. When you look at the stories that have hit the public domain in recent years on both sides of the sea, who knows what’s going on behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Motivator wrote: »
    Joe, accept my apologies, I didn’t mean it when I said you hadn’t got a clue.

Your last point is bang on the money. Look how much money is involved and how frequent racing is. At least 30+ races every day midweek in Ireland and UK and then the weekend that figure is doubled. When you look at the stories that have hit the public domain in recent years on both sides of the sea, who knows what’s going on behind closed doors.

Ha, no apology needed. I wasnt being serious, just agreeing with what you posted. If i could wish one racing book into existence it would be a no holds barred, warts `n all Mike Dillon memoir. There's a chap what knows where all the bodies are buried. Never gonna happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Dan skeleton spoke on the ITV opening show on this anyone have a link or better video of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭del roy

Nicky on racing uk at 4.20pm today explaining to punters

del roy wrote: »
    Nicky on racing uk at 4.20pm today explaining to punters

He will be having a few stiff brandy’s to ease his conscience

• Advertisement

BumperD wrote: »
    He will be having a few stiff brandy’s to ease his conscience

looks like he had a few before the interview :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Horses don't like sheep either

They like some sheep and hate the rest of them.
    Remittance Man, the champion two-mile chaser, could be inconsolable unless his favourite sheep, Nobby, was beside him. When they pulled another sheep out of the pen by mistake and placed it beside Remittance Man, the nag killed it on the spot

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2005/jun/15/horseracing.paulweaver

• Registered Users Posts: 2 woddyf26

Gave a good winner again this weekend also 10/1 winner on pp podcast happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

BumperD wrote: »
    Dan skeleton spoke on the ITV opening show on this anyone have a link or better video of it

Skelton was fierce smug. Basically bookie trainer partnerships are here to stay and punters better get comfortable with the new reality.

Barry Orr and Blake on the betfair pod were staunchly defending the trainers as well surprise surprise. Their line is that the publicity from theses arrangements is good for the promotion of the sport as a whole and by extension good for punters. In other words you punters should be thankful that the we bookies (Orr) are paying good money to trainers (Joseph O'Brien). They are even trying to say even reports of dodgy dealings are actually good for the sport because at least racing is in the news and no such thing as bad news :confused:

These guys dwell in such a bubble. The racing public are getting older and older and the hard core aren't being replaced imo and a lot of the professionals either don't care or cant see it. Younger people (except degenerate gamblers) just do not want to see animals being beaten for sport. Kevin Blake is particular mocks those views but who will have the last laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

Supposedly PP brought the Mullins racing team out for a Christmas lunch before Christmas and were given the inside line in the runners over Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

Thud wrote: »
    Supposedly PP brought the Mullins racing team out for a Christmas lunch before Christmas and were given the inside line in the runners over Christmas.

That didn’t happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

The conspiracies are getting worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Motivator wrote: »
    That didn’t happen anyway.

I can see them getting brought out to lunch, never mind golfing in Portugal.

But the concept that Paddy, Danny, Paul and David Casey sit around handing out non triers is garbage. I doubt any communication happens over a steak dinner in Shanahans.

That is not to say it is not going on …..

The golfing holidays that is :p

Annamix won at 7 /1 on Saturday. What happened there?

Did no one in the world not back a former double season supreme novice hurdle ante post favourite for the craic ? They must have decided to not back it and then blow all their spends on the machine that is Blackbow…. It makes sense yeh ?

Betting firms to be banned from allowing gamblers to use credit cards

An industry-wide ban on betting firms allowing consumers to use credit cards to gamble will be enforced on April 14.

The ban, announced by the Gambling Commission on Tuesday morning, will apply to all online and offline gambling products with the exception of non-remote lotteries.

The announcement follows the review of online gambling by the industry's watchdog and the government's review of gaming machines and social responsibility measures.

10.5 million adults in Great Britain gamble online – compared to 24 million adult gamblers overall – with 800,000 consumers using a UK-issued credit card to gamble online in 2018 according to financial institution UK Finance.

Neil McArthur, chief executive of the Gambling Commission, said: “Credit card gambling can lead to significant financial harm. The ban that we have announced today should minimise the risks of harm to consumers from gambling with money they do not have.

“We know that there are examples of consumers who have accumulated tens of thousands of pounds of debt through gambling because of credit card availability.

"There is also evidence that the fees charged by credit cards can exacerbate the situation because the consumer can try to chase losses to a greater extent.”

McArthur added: “We realise this change will inconvenience those consumers who use credit cards responsibly but we're satisfied reducing the risk of harm to other consumers means that action must be taken. But we will evaluate the ban and watch closely for any unintended circumstances for consumers.

“The ban is part of our ongoing work to reduce gambling harm. We also need to continue the work we've been doing with gambling operators and the finance industry to ensure consumers only gamble with money they can afford to spend.”

Research undertaken by the Gambling Commission revealed 22 per cent of online gamblers using credit cards are classed as problem gamblers.

Helen Whately, culture minister, said: "While millions gamble responsibly, I've also met people whose lives have been turned upside down by gambling addiction.

“There is clear evidence of harm from consumers betting with money they do not have, so it's absolutely right that we act decisively to protect them.

"We will be carrying out a review of the Gambling Act to ensure it is fit for the digital age and we will be launching a new nationwide addiction strategy in 2020.

“We will not hesitate to take any further action necessary to protect people from gambling harm.”

The Gambling Commission's crackdown on credit card use by consumers was welcomed by GambleAware, a charity committed to minimising gambling-related harm.

Marc Etches, CEO of GambleAware, said: "It's essential every effort is made to protect those who may be at risk of experiencing gambling harm, so we welcome the decision by the Gambling Commission to extend the ban on using credit cards for online gambling, as well as offline.

"Gambling is a public health issue and mobile technology gives people access to gambling anytime, anywhere. Anyone who chooses to gamble should be able to do so in a safe environment, where the risks and available support options are made crystal clear.”

The Gambling Commission also announced changes to licence conditions with all online gambling operators required to participate in the GAMSTOP scheme and offer their customers the service from March 31.

This requirement means consumers will be able to self-exclude from more than 200 online operators through a request to GAMSTOP – a service used by more than 118,000 people since 2018.

Is this ban going to be UK based or enforced in Ireland also?

Will it apply to the PMU ?

How can they enforce this ban?

Great news for Revolut and similar providers in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Is this ban going to be UK based or enforced in Ireland also?

Will it apply to the PMU ?

How can they enforce this ban?

Great news for Revolut and similar providers in the UK

Is revolut not just a virtual Credit Card

aidankkk wrote: »
    Is revolut not just a virtual Credit Card

Strictly no, it is a virtual bank account. Any of my big shot mates who do a lot of travelling swear by it. No charges and most importantly no fx charges.

Short the stocks of the gambling firms this will hammer them. An overdue step in right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Strictly no, it is a virtual bank account. Any of my big shot mates who do a lot of travelling swear by it. No charges and most importantly no fx charges.

Revolut is a godsend for anyone travelling alright and handy enough just in general. Do all my betting through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I know its been mentioned before. Anyone applying for a mortgage or anything will have to provide 6 months revolut statement, as the bank can see any transfers to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

akelly02 wrote: »
    yea hes giving out losing tips on purpose ....just so the ould lads in the shop will lose their fiver

jesus christ man

All them fivers add up......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

What about the aul lads that put a 100 pound on the virtuals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Honestly, the idea of using a CC to gamble makes me genuinely shudder
    Madness

I don't gamble through apps, i only bet over OTC or on the FOBT's in shop
    Fella's gambling money on CC's that essentially is loaned money.....

No

Honestly, the idea of using a CC to gamble makes me genuinely shudder
    Madness

I don't gamble through apps, i only bet over OTC or on the FOBT's in shop
    Fella's gambling money on CC's that essentially is loaned money.....

No

I do it all the time. The thing is that I have discipline, not a lot, but I am paying my credit card with a DD every month.

I don't think the ban is fair if I am being honest. It should be the responsibility of the credit card companies to manage their customers and place sanctions on their behaviours if necessary.

I am never comfortable with governments poking their noses into private business, it is not healthy. That is classic nanny state right there.

All credit cards have limits anyways, so there is only so much off a hole a degenerate can fall into. The concept of an outright ban on all CC use is arbitrary and over the top.

I can't help feeling it is a way of governments giving the gambling companies a pasting. All the off shore profit dumping must piss them off. It is their only way to hit back, they are not going to ban them, but they appease the do goody brigade and manage to show the bookies who is boss.

Why are they doing this and yet still allowing the virtuals in the shops ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

I do it all the time. The thing is that I have discipline, not a lot, but I am paying my credit card with a DD every month.

I don't think the ban is fair if I am being honest. It should be the responsibility of the credit card companies to manage their customers and place sanctions on their behaviours if necessary.

I am never comfortable with governments poking their noses into private business, it is not healthy. That is classic nanny state right there.

All credit cards have limits anyways, so there is only so much off a hole a degenerate can fall into. The concept of an outright ban on all CC use is arbitrary and over the top.

I can't help feeling it is a way of governments giving the gambling companies a pasting. All the off shore profit dumping must piss them off. It is their only way to hit back, they are not going to ban them, but they appease the do goody brigade and manage to show the bookies who is boss.

Why are they doing this and yet still allowing the virtuals in the shops ?

I'm not saying the Govt should stop it, I just shudder at the thought of it
    Fair play to anyone who clears CC's monthly
    I got rid of mine
    One of the few people left who only operates with cash !
    (We have cards, just she minds them!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

I know its been mentioned before. Anyone applying for a mortgage or anything will have to provide 6 months revolut statement, as the bank can see any transfers to it.

Didn't know this. Revolut is right handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Wasn't the case for me in 2018 with AIB but could be different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Yes I've heard of this alright. Thankfully won't ever need to get a mortgage or anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    All them fivers add up......

so you think ruby walsh is employed by paddy power to purposely give out tips he knows will lose ?

Advertisement