Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for thought re Gambling

Options
  • 07-01-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

HI-G1GA2_bigger.jpg

Joe McNally

@steeplechasing

A wee reminder of the value of the UK horseracing betting market: £5bn a year. Altior drifts from 1/4 to 5/2 on the exchanges and turns out to be a NR at Kempton. Trade paper can't tell us why because of the trainer's contract with a bookie. Seriously @BHAPressOffice
    ?

I know they say gambling is a mugs game, and I am a mug, but when you think about it, the whole industry plays us for fools
    Top to bottom its bloody rotten

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Nicky Henderson is a conman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Andrew00 wrote: »

Lovable ol Grandad Nicky.....never.....
    Absolute fuc*ing gangster is what he is

FWIW I wouldn't back Altior for the rest of the year with stolen money

Never done that Irish crook WPM any harm.

For an industry that relies predominantly on the punter there's zero accountability. Those trainers getting their bread buttered on all sides
    and it's not stopping anytime soon. Fkn joke. Probably all they can do to stop laughing whenever they hear "conflict of interest" mentioned.

It won't stop Henderson being champion trainer neither.

Delighted no cvnt involved in racing ever high on the list for sportsperson of the year award.

How trainers and jockeys are allowed to work with bookies is beyond me.

Look at the Skeltons ffs they have Ladbrokes billboards all over the yard and gallops. They're all passing on info to various bookmakers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Never back a horse with no breeding value: geldings; handicappers; low-grade entires.

• Advertisement

Never back a horse with no breeding value: geldings; handicappers; low-grade entires.

:D
    They're our bread and butter TT
    We'd be down to ten bets a year at that rate.
    Aint nobody (close to) got the discipline for that

I think jockeys and trainers who make money from gambling companies should be warned off (and that includes advertising, logos, baseballs caps).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jockeys and trainers should not be associated with a bookie in any shape or form. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭ON ZEE BRIDLE

Ruby Walsh was the biggest crook of them all, greedy bastard

Ruby Walsh was the biggest crook of them all, greedy bastard

He's only 40. He's got another 30 years of crookery left in him - he doesn't
    need to be sitting on a horse.... Sure isn't he pointing punters in the wrong
    direction daily and weekly in the meeja... Paddy's, RTE, ITV, Racing TV, whatever newspaper(s) he rides columns for - It's a long bloody list.

• Advertisement

The funny thing about it is the trainer's don't even hide the fact their associated with bookmakers

They're wearing their Unibet and Coral hats and jackets on TV and all

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

It does stink.
    Imagine a Football manager caught having bets or doing his pre match interview in a paddy power jacket.
    Are there any trainers or jockeys not eating from the trough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

direction daily and weekly in the meeja... Paddy's, RTE, ITV, Racing TV, whatever newspaper(s) he rides columns for - It's a long bloody list.

yea hes giving out losing tips on purpose ....just so the ould lads in the shop will lose their fiver

jesus christ man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

HI-G1GA2_bigger.jpg

Joe McNally

@steeplechasing

A wee reminder of the value of the UK horseracing betting market: £5bn a year. Altior drifts from 1/4 to 5/2 on the exchanges and turns out to be a NR at Kempton. Trade paper can't tell us why because of the trainer's contract with a bookie. Seriously @BHAPressOffice
    ?

I know they say gambling is a mugs game, and I am a mug, but when you think about it, the whole industry plays us for fools

That number of 5bn seems way off the mark. But can't argue with the point being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

carq wrote: »
    It does stink.
    Imagine a Football manager caught having bets or doing his pre match interview in a paddy power jacket.

Bet365 now own the advertising rights to the FA Cup. Deposit a fiver, you can watch the match

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51028507

carq wrote: »
    It does stink.

Always found it odd that the Skybet offered odds on transfers and managerial moves while also having Jim White shouting "AND LUKAKU HAS JUST BEEN SPOTTED GETTING OFF A PLANE IN BIRMINGHAM IN THE PAST 5 MINUTES".

Always found it odd that the Skybet offered odds on transfers and managerial moves while also having Jim White shouting "AND LUKAKU HAS JUST BEEN SPOTTED GETTING OFF A PLANE IN BIRMINGHAM IN THE PAST 5 MINUTES".

What da fuq was he doing in Brimingham!!
    I mean I know Villa are in bother, but surely not..................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Any punter who listens to these pundits is a moron and deserves to lose their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Clique

BumperD wrote: »
    Bet365 now own the advertising rights to the FA Cup. Deposit a fiver, you can watch the match

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51028507

Right after a weekend when they had all the FA Cup matches kick off a minute later to promote mental health. You know the mental health that has ravaged many a mind after gambling losses to ordinary folk.

Altior drifts from 1/4 to 5/2 on the exchanges and turns out to be a NR at Kempton. Trade paper can't tell us why because of the trainer's contract with a bookie. Seriously
    On the Racing Post website today
    BHA vet to examine Altior after revelation he still holds Kempton entry
    "The BHA has revealed that Altior has yet to be scratched from Saturday's Silviniaco Conti Chase at Kempton and called on trainer Nicky Henderson to clarify Altior's participation "in the interests of fairness and transparency".

Henderson might have that memory problem Jim Bolger had with new Approach, a non-runner, that then ran in and won the English Derby. :pac:

• Advertisement

The funny thing about it is the trainer's don't even hide the fact their associated with bookmakers

They're wearing their Unibet and Coral hats and jackets on TV and all

It's nothing to do with the commercial relationship with bookies. This has been going on forever.

It's not like Henderson rang up Unibet to let them know Altior was a non-runner and they then pushed the price on him.

More accurately the yard knew in the morning and half of Lambourn had backed Top Notch before it became public later in the day. He drifted everywhere. Bookies are not stupid, they know warm money when they see it.

A bookie is the last person Henderson would tell, commercial relationship or not.

I wouldn't be too sure about trainers and bookies not speaking to each other.
    Years ago at The Curragh a top Irish trainer and the top representative of a major bookmaking organisation were having a private conversation beside me in a quiet spot.
    The trainer's horse won a staying race later on the card at iirc 6/1.
    My guess is the trainer got on at better than 6/1 and the bookmaking organisation had it priced lower than others.
    No, I didn't back it. I am a bit slow. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Not aware of this specific case but it wouldn't surprise me. I would put the responsibility back on government for failure to properly regulate.

As for the size of the UK horse race gambling market, it's possible to guesstimate it from publicly available info. If you take Paddy Power and Ladbroke annual reports, they will usually quote their market share and give a decent breakdown of sales and from the various categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

HI-G1GA2_bigger.jpg

Joe McNally

@steeplechasing

?

Sad stuff , when you read this . But , not surprised .

My food for thought, as regards gambling, came approx thirty years ago , in the local bookies . Guys with their 60 punt in dole money , on a Tuesday morning in the bookies . When you returned that evening , they were looking for a quid to throw on some three legged grey hound , as they hadn't got the arse left in their trousers .

Glad the horses never gripped me .

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    Sad stuff , when you read this . But , not surprised .

My food for thought, as regards gambling, came approx thirty years ago , in the local bookies . Guys with their 60 punt in dole money , on a Tuesday morning in the bookies . When you returned that evening , they were looking for a quid to throw on some three legged grey hound , as they hadn't got the arse left in their trousers .

Glad the horses never gripped me .

Horses don't like sheep either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I wouldn't be too sure about trainers and bookies not speaking to each other.
    Years ago at The Curragh a top Irish trainer and the top representative of a major bookmaking organisation were having a private conversation beside me in a quiet spot.
    The trainer's horse won a staying race later on the card at iirc 6/1.
    My guess is the trainer got on at better than 6/1 and the bookmaking organisation had it priced lower than others.
    No, I didn't back it. I am a bit slow. :(

Happens all the time, it is both their business to know what is going on.

I doubt either have itchy backs for long.

It is when trainers flirt the media with garbage, columns in the Racing Post etc, that really pisses me off. Total waffles. Always ignore these articles , they are a pure unadulterated shightfest. They are generally ghostwritten and are full of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The opening show is rank also. Ya get no knowledge at all from the pundits . Just the usual nonsense he has a chance lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

What goes on behind closed doors is quite scary I would think. Joe Public hasn’t a clue what is going on with Trainers, Jockeys, Stable staff & bookmakers. I remember being in Tralee years ago and a well known head lad in a big yard was in the pub with the on course bookies the night before racing - the following day the yard had two horses in the same race. One shortened up like you wouldn’t believe while the other held it’s price until all of a sudden the money came for the apparent outsider and the shortie went for a stroll. You can guess what horse won the race and you can guess who was out that night shouting and roaring buying drink for everyone celebrating his win.

I’ve seen screenshots of WhatsApp messages between trainers and layers in the big firms, how legit they were/are I don’t know, but if they are legit then it’s scary what goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

The phone call between Evans and Ladbrokes last year wasn't long being swept under the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Motivator wrote: »
    What goes on behind closed doors is quite scary I would think. Joe Public hasn’t a clue what is going on with Trainers, Jockeys, Stable staff & bookmakers. I remember being in Tralee years ago and a well known head lad in a big yard was in the pub with the on course bookies the night before racing - the following day the yard had two horses in the same race. One shortened up like you wouldn’t believe while the other held it’s price until all of a sudden the money came for the apparent outsider and the shortie went for a stroll. You can guess what horse won the race and you can guess who was out that night shouting and roaring buying drink for everyone celebrating his win.

I’ve seen screenshots of WhatsApp messages between trainers and layers in the big firms, how legit they were/are I don’t know, but if they are legit then it’s scary what goes on.

I can confirm this is categorically 100 per cent true.

I'm reminded of the story of the well known trainer of a Grand National winning favourite a few years back who had been facilitated at 50/1 by a prominent bookie a couple of days before the race.

The grim irony of betting on nags is that a select number of insiders are allowed what they want while many of the poor saps lower down the food chain working off hard work and hunches are restricted often to the bare minimum.

Advertisement