Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renmore to Galway University Hospital

• 14-01-2020 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Renmore to Galway University Hopsital or anyone driving from the east side of city to the west side? I'm currently living and working on the east side but have been offered a job at the hospital and know Galway traffic is crazy but wondering if that route is very bad?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭lisabiscuit

I guess it just depends on what times you'll be starting and finishing. I used to go to gmit and I lived near the hospital at the time. It could be very handy in the early morning and mental in the evening. I used to cycle a lot in the end. Or got the 405 bus. Good luck with the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

UHG worker here. Another thing to consider is staff parking. Again this depends on what time you start work but the car parks are full by 8.30am. There is some off site parking that you can get a pass for (there is a waiting list) and then you need to add 10 mins or so to walk in from car parks. What might suit you is the free staff shuttle bus from Merlin park hospital. Lots of parking there and the bus is regular. Lots of my colleagues from east of city use that. Good luck with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭gifted

Worked there for 8 years....oranmore to uhg...

Used leave at 6.50 in the morning and it took me 15 to 20 min, no traffic at that time, plenty of parking at multistorey car park in hospital but from 7.30 onwards it was non stop cars entering car park, full in 20 min.

Used leave at 4pm and very little traffic in the evening, little bit longer but on average around 20 to 25 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

402 goes to GUH.
    Otherwise a bike takes 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Coco86

UHG worker here. Another thing to consider is staff parking. Again this depends on what time you start work but the car parks are full by 8.30am. There is some off site parking that you can get a pass for (there is a waiting list) and then you need to add 10 mins or so to walk in from car parks. What might suit you is the free staff shuttle bus from Merlin park hospital. Lots of parking there and the bus is regular. Lots of my colleagues from east of city use that. Good luck with the new job.[/quote

Thanks, I will look into that. Start time is 9am and so hopefully I can get a bus that suits as have to drop kids first.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    402 goes to GUH.
    Otherwise a bike takes 20 minutes.[/quote

Defo think the bike will be way to go on the dryish days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Coco86 wrote: »

Defo think the bike will be way to go on the dryish days

Bikeshare might be worth considering as well if you were to mix usage with Public Transport. Get bus in the morn and cycle home or vice versa.
    https://www.bikeshare.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it were me, I'd walk, ride or even drive to Merlin Park, and take the staff shuttle from there.

Be a handy spin on an e-scooter. Easy to fold and bring on the bus on a wet evening too etc which wouldn’t be doable with a bike.

Be a handy spin on an e-scooter. Easy to fold and bring on the bus on a wet evening too etc which wouldn’t be doable with a bike.
    Thanks never thought of that. Wonder how long it would take. My brother in law got one recently so I'll have to quiz him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

zell12 wrote: »
    402 goes to GUH.

yeah was thinking this is the one bus that connects those 2 specific points.
    405 now no longer goes on the Dublin rd which the other 2 buses 409 and 404 do. 404 goes by the UHG at least. 409 would need to connect with something at Eyre square for the last bit.
    NOt sure about times for 402 or 404, though i think 402 comes from Merlin Park Hospital on the hour and half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

As others suggested, the staff bus from Merlin is probably your best bet. The regular buses go through Eyre Square so can get caught up in traffic there at peak times. Probably better to just hop off in Eyre Square and walk when it's bad. I wouldn't drive to UHG if you can help it because it's an unholy mess of cars these days. Avoid the stress of you can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Park at Oranmore train station for free. Train in. Daily return €6.00. Walk from station to hospital. 15 min walk. Nice bit of exercise to clear the head. Train is very reliable . You will be sure of what time you get in and what time you get home. Oran car park getting very full in mornings now.

Biking next best bet if you are up for it.

Car and bus subject to atrocious traffic. If travelling in peak time it will be 45 min each way give or take another 15 min. Bus a bit better as there is some manner of bus lane along by Merlin (in only) and GMIT.

Bike it.

Did you read renmore as oranmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

xckjoo wrote: »
    As others suggested, the staff bus from Merlin is probably your best bet. The regular buses go through Eyre Square so can get caught up in traffic there at peak times. Probably better to just hop off in Eyre Square and walk when it's bad. I wouldn't drive to UHG if you can help it because it's an unholy mess of cars these days. Avoid the stress of you can

bus stops up where the terminal stop for 402 is , trying to think what that place is. The Merlin Park hospital church is on the corner and car park is facing it.
    & also stops somewhere down near the gate on the Dublin rd so should be as easy to walk to as one of the Bus Eireann buses . Otherwise it's an express coach that doesn't stop anywhere else on its route i think.

Advertisement