Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CC3 -- Why I believe that a third option is needed for climate change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Water John wrote: »
    It's my intention to go back and fully read this thread with an open mind. Have been dipping in. I see that the ocean temp are rising. Is there an alt view as to why this is happening, other than fossil fuels?
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/13/ocean-temperatures-hit-record-high-as-rate-of-heating-accelerates

Other things to look at are solar-based, with possible ocean lag effects from the increased solar constant in the recent century over previous three.

itsi_wls_ann.png

itsi_wls_ann_a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Unless you can.

They can’t,At least not without cooking the books

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭posidonia

Other things to look at are solar-based, with possible ocean lag effects from the increased solar constant in the recent century over previous three.

You can fit anything to anything using an undefined lag.

posidonia wrote: »
    You can fit anything to anything using an undefined lag.
    A change of 1W/m2 over several years could make a noticeable difference to the sea surface temperature, which in turn will affect the global weather in coastal areas.
    After all, climate change is being attributed to changes of less than 1C in sea temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

A change of 1W/m2 over several years could make a noticeable difference to the sea surface temperature, which in turn will affect the global weather in coastal areas.
    After all, climate change is being attributed to changes of less than 1C in sea temperatures.

The article discusses ocean heat content rather than sea surface temperatures. It also states that the rate of heat accumulation increased by four and a half times for 1987 to 2018, relative to 1956 to 1986.

During that time solar activity has declined, especially the last decade. So it appears highly unlikely that there's a solar based cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

itsi_wls_ann_a.png

Modelers have problems with anything cyclical so aided by a natural pessimism, they project or conclude future conditions as dire or desperate.

How to attract researchers back towards what is in front of them in term of cyclical events shouldn't be as difficult as it is, after all, the annual fluctuations of ocean temperatures North and South of the Equator arises from the motions of the Earth -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTig9gKegQk&t=21s

The Earth doesn't tilt towards and away from the Sun to account for the fluctuations and I wouldn't even mention the new 'explanation' favoured by RA/Dec modelers.

Give students something new to look at to counter the unnecessary anxiety and desperation dumped on them by those who operate in a dull and contentious atmosphere of empirical modeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,283 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

oriel36 wrote: »
    Modelers have problems with anything cyclical so aided by a natural pessimism, they project or conclude future conditions as dire or desperate.
    Well this is absolute nonsense
    Regular cyclical events are the easiest things in the world to model.

There is a problem with identifying cycles if they are irregular or if they are contingent on triggering events or tipping points

The problem is that if you are excessively pattern seeking, you can find patterns in random series. John Nash suffered from this. He was excellent at finding links in data, but it became his undoing when due to mental illness, he lost the ability to discern genuine patterns from random noise

Akrasia wrote: »
    Well this is absolute nonsense
    Regular cyclical events are the easiest things in the world to model.

There is a problem with identifying cycles if they are irregular or if they are contingent on triggering events or tipping points

The problem is that if you are excessively pattern seeking, you can find patterns in random series. John Nash suffered from this. He was excellent at finding links in data, but it became his undoing when due to mental illness, he lost the ability to discern genuine patterns from random noise

The easiest cyclical event to extrapolate is the rotation of the Earth via the temperature troughs and peaks over a 24 hour period -

http://prairieecosystems.pbworks.com/f/1179343887/crerar%20temperature%20variation.jpg

The modelers following a really silly late 17th century conclusion insist there are more rotations than temperature 'heartbeats' across a year ! -

" It is a fact not generally known that,owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time,the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are days in the year" NASA

What they did was attempt to shift the Earth's rotation from its anchor in the noon cycle or day/night cycle and determine it using stellar circumpolar motion and the 24 hour clock where there is no cause and effect -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwSlkJG8gTU

If that is not an eff up I do not know what is on the exact issue being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    The article discusses ocean heat content rather than sea surface temperatures. It also states that the rate of heat accumulation increased by four and a half times for 1987 to 2018, relative to 1956 to 1986.

During that time solar activity has declined, especially the last decade. So it appears highly unlikely that there's a solar based cause.

More from Dr. Nikolov:
    Though this paper has yet to be published. He says they are using satellite data so prob hard to argue with. But will have to wait and see.

Interesting though

Ned Nikolov, Ph.D.
    @NikolovScience
    The success of our albedo model to reproduce observed dynamics of the reflected shortwave flux as measured by CERES (the best satellite-based energy budget platform at present) indicates that inter-annual and decadal Global Temp. changes of the past 20 years were forced by clouds

Satellite observations show a significant decrease of low-level cloud cover and global cloud albedo decline since 1979.
    Also, we were able do predict CERES-measured Earth SW reflection from observed changes in Global T since 2001.

Wouldn't cloud cover have a LOT to do with solar warming/cooling of the seas?

Regardless of his science there are surely other climate studies done on cloud cover using satellite data?
    It has to be a factor taken into consideration in climate already?
    He's announcing it like it's groundbreaking but surely not?

Edit: Did a quick google. Paper published in Nature magazine: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1907.00165.pdf
    The paper, entitled “No Experimental Evidence for the Significant Anthropogenic Climate Change“ and published in Nature, is the work of a group Finnish scientists. It explains how the IPCC’s analysis of global temperatures suffers from at least one glaring error — namely, the failure to account for “influences of low cloud cover” on global temperature

…the [IPCC] models fail to derive the influences of low cloud cover fraction on the global temperature. A too small natural component results in a too large portion for the contribution of the greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide. That is why J. KAUPPINEN AND P. MALMI IPCC represents the climate sensitivity more than one order of magnitude larger than our sensitivity 0.24°C. Because the anthropogenic portion in the increased CO2 is less than 10%, we have practically no anthropogenic climate change. The low clouds control mainly the global temperature.

• Advertisement

More from Dr. Nikolov:
    Though this paper has yet to be published. He says they are using satellite data so prob hard to argue with. But will have to wait and see.

Interesting though

Ned Nikolov, Ph.D.
    @NikolovScience
    The success of our albedo model to reproduce observed dynamics of the reflected shortwave flux as measured by CERES (the best satellite-based energy budget platform at present) indicates that inter-annual and decadal Global Temp. changes of the past 20 years were forced by clouds

Satellite observations show a significant decrease of low-level cloud cover and global cloud albedo decline since 1979.
    Also, we were able do predict CERES-measured Earth SW reflection from observed changes in Global T since 2001.

Wouldn't cloud cover have a LOT to do with solar warming/cooling of the seas?

Regardless of his science there are surely other climate studies done on cloud cover using satellite data?
    It has to be a factor taken into consideration in climate already?
    He's announcing it like it's groundbreaking but surely not?

He doesn't provide enough info to really comment much.
    However, if cloud cover was the cause, then globally we'd see days warming faster than nights. Instead, the opposite is happening.
    We shouldn't see stratospheric cooling either.

Anyway, until it's published it doesn't matter. Especially when other studies don't support it.

Changes in Global Cloud Cover Based on Remote Sensing Data from 2003 to 2012

global cloud cover increased over this recent decade...cloud cover over ocean areas (especially the Indian and Pacific Oceans) increased (slope = 0.0011, R2 = 0.4955).

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11769-019-1030-6

@SeaBreezes: The paper you edited in was not published anywhere, and didn't undergo peer review. It was just uploaded to arxiv

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This stuff from Oriel36 has me stumped, I have no idea what he thinks is the fatal flaw in our understanding of seasons or basic principles of climate. But I do want readers of this thread to understand that his insertions have nothing to do with the subject matter being discussed here, and form no basis whatsoever for my objections to the orthodox climate science theories.

I have always understood the difference between sidereal and synodic day length. We get one extra sidereal day per synodic year. There is no temperature cycle from any observation point that corresponds to the sidereal day (roughly 23 hours 56 min), or if so, it would have a very small amplitude compared with the synodic day (24 hours).

I'm wondering if Oriel36 can provide any publications of articles to support his point of view, or if this is entirely his own personal theory.

Anyway, I do hope the discussion can proceed without what I would consider to be irrelevant sidetracking to theories of persons not connected to the debate at hand. Somebody might have made a whopper of a mistake about the evolutionary details of the Turkish titmouse, and I could join in the finger pointing and ritual shaming for a bit of fun, but what progress do we then make to solving the climate change conundrum?

On a separate issue, we are probing around the edges of a big philosophical question when it comes to established science and peer review. At some point, it becomes obvious to neutral onlookers (i.e., intelligent laypersons who have no personal involvement in the scientific community, just an interest in their research and announced findings) that a given science is suffering from some combination of tunnel vision and inappropriate oversight. It continues to function like the other sciences that are perhaps not suffering, but "by their fruits shall ye know them" applies.

So I think I am not overstating it when I say that a disturbingly large number of intelligent laypersons have a deep skepticism about the health of climate science as compared to (let's say) astronomy or theoretical physics. There is a widespread perception that the reality is trending towards a science that excludes all dissidents, promotes one theory that is inadequately demonstrated to be either working or all-encompassing, and fails to recognize its own weaknesses and limitations. Peer review within such a failing enterprise will of course take the form of dissident ostracism. The notion that only "real science" is published and peer reviewed is an obvious example of circular reasoning (he is a scientist because scientists said he was a scientist, he lived in a scientist's house and drove a scientist's car). At some point, the clash between the orthodox and the inevitable alternate science turns into a fight to the death based on competing theoretical prediction (what else could separate the claims?).

This happened in geomorphology in the 19th century. The current established view of glacial landforms replaced a very elaborate but (it turned out) very wrong set of ideas about how erratic boulders came to rest in their present locations. They had not been dropped off from floating ice rafts, but instead had been pushed there by moving glaciers. There were terrible and highly personal debates at conferences in the mid-19th century during which time the new theory gradually pushed out the old one.

Other examples of things that the scientific consensus got wrong would be the non-existent ether, phlogiston (a non-existent compound to explain combustion), and unlimited general relativity (turned out to be capped by limits imposed by special relativity).

It could well be that AGW is another of these false doctrines, although in this case, all we are saying is that its proportion has been overestimated. Dissidents of many different opinions have not really come together on any one alternate theory, but continue to examine various possibilities. In my case, I am saying that AGW accounts for perhaps one third of observed warming of climate over the period 1890 to 2020, while natural variability accounts for the other two thirds. Within that general postulate, there would be room to accept (a) the contribution of natural variability could be different from decade to decade, and (b) the proportion of AGW could increase over time -- in fact I think this is the case. I think AGW is perhaps 10% of the observed warming 1890 to 1950, 20% of what could be seen 1950 to 1980, and could be as much as 40% in the past decade (when some data sets indicate a slowdown in the overall warming trend).

Some other dissident might claim other proportions, such as no AGW, all observed change is natural, or, data sets are compromised by faulty readings (not a claim I make or support), or, greenhouse gas is the driving factor but its increase is more due to warming climates than vice versa (a claim that I think resides within my own paradigm).

There likely won't be an end game to this debate until dissidents unite around one competing theory. It is pretty easy for the consensus to repel the outsiders when they are scattered all over the spectrum and if they ever got together, would be arguing radically different points of view. If on the other hand, dissidents adopted one theory, made predictions, and those predictions started to verify with smaller errors than IPCC predictions (which to be fair keep changing decade to decade, but I'll accept that in an evolving new science, that is normal enough), then we might reach a point where outside scientific bodies started to give more credence to the rival theory, and proponents started to switch sides (which is how the geomorphology debate was resolved).

The problem in our science is time scale. We make predictions for 20-50 years to illustrate our theories, but we are not (in some cases, notably mine) likely to be alive and working at the point where these predictions can be compared with outcomes. Meanwhile, the competing orthodox theory can continue to make new predictions and place a lot of emphasis on them (the "now we're really really screwed" paradigm). This is what leads to widespread public skepticism about the climate change lobby as it exists (and they get to run their show as they see fit, so they have made these choices, not had them imposed from any outside agency). Similar sounding predictions are made at longer intervals than the predictions reference. I have saved copies of newspaper articles published around 1990 claiming such things as disappearance of arctic sea ice, spread of tropical vegetation far to the north within a generation, end of winter, end of ski resort viability, great masses of people on the move in a desperate search for water ... yet reality produced a different outcome. Part of this will be explained away as a "new understanding" that climate change is more complex, blah blah, but then I am asked to believe things that are nonsensical, such as the arctic warming (which I acknowledge to be real) will displace the polar vortex to unusual southern locations creating cold waves in temperate climates. The reason this is both ridiculous and absurd is, (a) problem solved if you're saying the climate is too warm, (b) then what displaced these polar vortices in the cold 19th century when air mass frequency analysis shows that they must have been over lower latitudes more frequently than in the 20th century?

I make entirely reasonable statements about natural warming (obvious sudden surges in temperatures between the 1890s and 1910s for example) which must have been based largely on changes in air mass frequency, and I ask, how does that square with the announced theory that recent warming is all of anthropogenic origins and not only that, the AGW is greater than the observed warming, which implies that at any given time in that period, the background climate should have been cooling? Is there any knowledgeable weather historian who would agree that in fact this is what you can see from temperature records (especially those in eastern North America where this fallacy is easiest to demonstrate) or would those observers be more likely to conclude that strong natural warming occurred then? Yet I am told this is not the accepted theory in the science, and that basic physics somehow contradict what I can see in plain sight. So I come away thinking, well perhaps these self-defined experts and their proven science are just another example of a faulty science about to be shoved into a heap by a better (more accurate) alternative.

The only comeback they have is a power play -- we are the scientists, you aren't published (how could I be with the lockstep mind set of the faulty science?) so you're not a real scientist.

I would submit that sufficiently educated and literate people will see through that card game and look for the truth wherever it resides. And that is what I intend to do, no amount of name calling will deter me from it (and there has been a considerable amount of it already, some of it rather desperate sounding, such as that I am running a cult and encouraging an echo chamber). Can anyone point to even one individual whose free will or ability to think for him or herself has been even marginally reduced by any activity of mine, here or elsewhere? Feel free to publish the results. I'm not in the censorship game.

I have always understood the difference between sidereal and synodic day length. We get one extra sidereal day per synodic year. There is no temperature cycle from any observation point that corresponds to the sidereal day (roughly 23 hours 56 min), or if so, it would have a very small amplitude compared with the synodic day (24 hours).

I'm wondering if Oriel36 can provide any publications of articles to support his point of view, or if this is entirely his own personal theory.

The idea that the Earth physically rotates once more often than 24 hour days perhaps equals or surpasses the recent notion that the Earth has a 'pivoting' circle of illumination off the equator and a zero degree inclination so these people caught in a modeling trance can justify RA/Dec modeling.

The development of of 24 hour and Lat/Long systems go together based on using rotation anchored to the sunrise/noon/sunset cycle. It is also based on the observations that no two noon cycles are alike in their total length therefore a timekeeping facility is used to equalize the variations to a 24 hour average .

"Here take notice, that the Sun or the Earth passes the 12 constellations, or makes an entire revolution of the orbital plane in 365 days, 5 hours 49 min. or there about, and that those days, reckoned from noon to noon, are of different lengths; as is known to all that are versed in Astronomy. Now between the longest and the shortest of those days, a day may be taken of such a length, as 365 such days, 5. hours &c. (the same numbers as before) make up, or are equal to that orbital cycle: And this is called the equal or mean day, according to which the Watches are to be set; and therefore the hour or minute showed by the Watches, though they be perfectly just and equal, must needs differ almost continually from those that are showed by the Sun, or are reckoned according to its Motion. But this Difference is regular, and is otherwise call'd the Aequation, and here you have a Table "

https://adcs.home.xs4all.nl/Huygens/06/kort-E.html

So no, the sprawling history of Longitude and the development of watches has been established for hundreds of years so let me fill you in with the details seeing you never heard of the timekeeping principle which keeps one 24 hour day anchored to the natural noon cycle and from there to the rotation of the Earth once in 24 hours or at a rate of 15 degrees per hour.

A doctor who cannot read a heartbeat as one complete action of the heart is a fraud, no more or no less considering the importance of his work and study -

https://cdn4.vectorstock.com/i/1000x1000/67/23/heart-rate-heartbeat-neon-line-blue-graphic-vector-22216723.jpg

A meteorologist who can't manage to associate one rotation of the Earth with one temperature 'heartbeat' each 24 hours and a thousand rotations in a thousand 24 hour days is also a fraud -

https://prairieecosystems.pbworks.com/f/1179343887/crerar%20temperature%20variation.jpg

The 24 hour day is an 'average' by equalizing the variations in a noon cycle where noon always happens mid-way between sunrise and sunset and the observer registers as the Sun crossing his/her meridian. The Lat/Long system is structured around the Earth's geometry and rotation once the 'average' 24 hour day was established, where the 'average' could be substituted for 'constant' rotation at a rate of 4 minutes for each degree of rotation, 15 degrees per hour and once in 24 hours.

Again, to stress its importance, the terms 'average' and 'constant' are alike so the former substitutes for the latter therefore it is possible to anchor rotation to noon and keep it anchored there so all you good folks can locate not only events during the day accurately but also the bigger picture of planetary geometry and rotation -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7yoXhbOQ3Y&t=278s

The late 17th century Royal Society fools did something really silly, the average 24 hour day was already established so clocks could be used to determine location on the planet using the Lat/Long framework and it remains that way.

What they did was shift rotation anchored to noon and appealed to stellar circumpolar motion instead. They then conjured up a solar vs sidereal fiction where the natural noon cycles are 'exactly' 24 hours (despite the fact they are not !) in order to justify the hideous notion that the Earth rotates once in 23 hours 56 minutes 04 seconds -

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Sidereal_time.svg/337px-Sidereal_time.svg.png

It is not just wrong, it is an act of vandalism on a scale not known so those effin jokers could have their 'clockwork solar system'.

So here we are, a meteorologist who can't manage to extract the rotation of the Earth from a basic temperature graph reflecting the cycle where the Sun is in view as the temperatures rise and the stars are in view as temperatures decline and still they believe in one more rotation than 24 hour days.

" It is a fact not generally known that,owing to the difference between solar and sidereal time,the Earth rotates upon its axis once more often than there are days in the year" NASA

No wonder you all thrive off pessimistic conclusions for what could be more dismaying than that contrived nonsense conjured up in the late 17th century. Stumped indeed !, the fact that you haven't heard of the Lat/Long system and its links to the 24 hour day is enough much less the 17th century English who tried to put RA/Dec in competition with the Lat/Long system for the most basic fact imaginable - the planet turns once each day and a thousand times in a thousand days.

At the very least, it demonstrates how poor empirical modelers are with cyclical events and the dynamical cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,192 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So in short MT is saying the climate change is partially caused by natural phenomena about 2/3 and partially man made CHG 1/3.
    So the mainstream consensus is that it's 100% down to man made CHG emissions.
    Then we have a third branch, some on here, who are saying, the warming is totally 100% natural.

So in short MT is saying the climate change is partially caused by natural phenomena about 2/3 and partially man made CHG 1/3.
    So the mainstream consensus is that it's 100% down to man made CHG emissions.
    Then we have a third branch, some on here, who are saying, the warming is totally 100% natural.

MT is the Jeremy Corbyn of 'climate change'. People should consider climate outside the doom and gloom predictions as to whether it is man-made or natural but at least be one or the other if following modelers into their dull world is your thing.

Don't get what you are proposing Oriel? Could you please explain your stance in a simple form.

Don't get what you are proposing Oriel? Could you please explain your stance in a simple form.

As to your question, take a tip from researchers who have a perceptive/intuitive balance as opposed to mathematical modeling which is narrow, undisciplined and reckless -

" The reason, therefore, that some intuitive minds are not mathematical is that they cannot at all turn their attention to the principles of mathematics. But the reason that mathematicians are not intuitive is that they do not see what is before them, and that, accustomed to the exact and plain principles of mathematics, and not reasoning till they have well inspected and arranged their principles, they are lost in matters of intuition where the principles do not allow of such arrangement. They are scarcely seen; they are felt rather than seen; there is the greatest difficulty in making them felt by those who do not of themselves perceive them. These principles are so fine and so numerous that a very delicate and very clear sense is needed to perceive them, and to judge rightly and justly when they are perceived, without for the most part being able to demonstrate them in order as in mathematics; because the principles are not known to us in the same way, and because it would be an endless matter to undertake it. We must see the matter at once, at one glance, and not by a process of reasoning, at least to a certain degree. And thus it is rare that mathematicians are intuitive, and that men of intuition are mathematicians, because mathematicians wish to treat matters of intuition mathematically, and make themselves ridiculous, wishing to begin with definitions and then with axioms, which is not the way to proceed in this kind of reasoning. Not that the mind does not do so, but it does it tacitly, naturally, and without technical rules; for the expression of it is beyond all men, and only a few can feel it." Pascal

MT says he 'understands' the solar vs sidereal day but observations don't affirm such a proposition as the Sun doesn't cross the meridian in exactly 24 hours even though it is required by RA/Dec modeling -

http://stevekluge.com/geoscience/images/siderealdaysm.jpg

The follow-on is that the 3 minutes 56 seconds difference between the solar vs sidereal day is accumulative over the year so eventually the Earth has one more physical rotation than 24 hour days so say goodbye to physical cause and effect including daily temperature fluctuations !.

To know exactly what went wrong or more importantly, what is correct requires a full explanation for timekeeping from its roots in antiquity rather than the free-for-all the Brits took in the 17th century so Isaac could have his 'clockwork solar system'.

All the same, a meteorologist who can't interpret nor affirm the temperature fluctuations each 24 hour day in response to one rotation is absolutely dismaying beyond words.

https://prairieecosystems.pbworks.com/f/1179343887/crerar%20temperature%20variation.jpg

Jesus Christ oriel, can't you answer a simple question with a simple answer, without posting an essay of irrelevant waffle?

So all statistical analysis is useless? We should go on intuition.

The only requirement of Pascal is that people act like gentlemen but I haven't seen anything reasonable from both opponents or proponents other than an attempt to draw the people of the planet into dull and dreary conclusions as is always the case of people who are neither mathematical nor intuitive -

"But dull minds are never either intuitive or mathematical." Pascal

https://www.bartleby.com/48/1/1.html

The fuss as to whether 'climate change' is man-made or natural disguises the hideous conclusion that humans can control planetary temperatures so this is why I tend to address the general reader rather than the 'greenhouse' people and their opponents.

Academics tend to elevate 'counter-intuitive' as a positive but for intuitive people such a notion means anti-inspirational and unproductive, after all, what could be closest to human experience than watching the Sun come into view at dawn as the planet turns once each day and a thousand times in a thousand 24 hour days. It is much a sense of knowing what is right and wrong as opposed to convictions such as the unreasonable/ungentlemanly belief in more rotations than sunrises each year because a few Brits screwed-up in the late 17th century and set empirical modeling in motion via the clockwork solar system. Even when explained how useful RA/Dec is for predicting the exact times of an astronomical event using a clock and the calendar system, these jokers can't identify why it can't be used to link planetary motions to Earth sciences. As far as I can tell, there is some hypnotic or trance-like adherence to the doctrines of mechanical thinking of Royal Society England.

In some ways, mathematicians can 'define' intuition as guesswork in one instance and counter-intuitive as contrary to normal reasoning in another instance even though Pascal never meant the human faculty in those terms.

Planetary climate within a solar system framework is the rate of change in surface conditions across latitudes over an orbital cycle and that rate is determined by the relationship of axial inclination to the orbital plane. Of course this is wasted on people who simply can't interpret the daily peaks and troughs of temperatures across a 24 hour period and their rotational cause -

• Advertisement

The level of reasoning and analysis here isn't really all that surprising, especially when you consider the premise of the whole thread is:
    "I feel I know more than all the experts, so my ideas must be right and the experts wrong. Even my internet friends think I'm right. The only logical reason the so-called experts wont accept my theory is because they're evil secret communists trying to brainwash the children. Also, they say mean things that hurt my feelings. I'm basically a modern day Galileo"

I don't even know if Oriel is saying climate change is happening or not, not to mind what might be causing it.
    As Piorot says, the little grey cells aren't up to it.

I don't even know if Oriel is saying climate change is happening or not, not to mind what might be causing it.
    As Piorot says, the little grey cells aren't up to it.

I think oriel is saying it's all natural and we don't know how the earth spins.. but I'm afraid this is how I feel reading his/her posts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Skwgk9duVaU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The level of reasoning and analysis here isn't really all that surprising, especially when you consider the premise of the whole thread is:
    "I feel I know more than all the experts, so my ideas must be right and the experts wrong. Even my internet friends think I'm right. The only logical reason the so-called experts wont accept my theory is because they're evil secret communists trying to brainwash the children. Also, they say mean things that hurt my feelings. I'm basically a modern day Galileo"

That's not a fair assessment of the thread so far, but not a surprising response none the less.

You ARE pretty good at saying mean things, in fairness.

10 minutes of pulling out a few quotes, but there's so much more and worse than even this.

Here's a few snippets on the IPCC, climate science and corrupting the children
    I can't accept the IPCC arguments and I don't think they have a true "proven science."
    how did they really come up with their "99%" consensus that we hear about? I think it's maybe closer to 70% and then you have to factor in that many of those 70% have done no real investigation of the material themselves
    This is the old communist approach
    If you raise valid concerns about the IPCC theories, you just get a torrent of abuse and hostility (how dare you squared)
    And the use of psychological manipulation on vulnerable school-aged children to sell this half-baked unproven theory is a major scandal and an egregious case of child abuse

On his own "theory" and why he can't get published
    I make entirely reasonable statements about natural warming
    I've been told this is a belief structure and not science, but I counter that by saying it is closer to real science than its alternative competing version.
    Yet I am told this is not the accepted theory in the science, and that basic physics somehow contradict what I can see in plain sight. So I come away thinking, well perhaps these self-defined experts and their proven science are just another example of a faulty science about to be shoved into a heap by a better (more accurate) alternative.
    The notion that only "real science" is published and peer reviewed is an obvious example of circular reasoning
    I have faith in the general public to choose the right path and I don't think 99% of the people who read weather forums are stupid and need to be educated or lectured. So I value your opinion
    To me, it's a sign of weakness when a scientific body quickly resorts to options like censorship, blacklisting, ostracism, ad hominem arguments, I don't recall Albert Einstein using any of those to gain acceptance for his ideas.

But don't ask M.T any real questions or else...
    placing the poster on ignore, and appealing to your better judgement to do the same

Some rare honesty
    since the political aspects of the climate change movement trouble me more than the raw science.

No data, no analysis, no proof, no nothing. Just rhetoric, conspiracies and hurt feelings (oh and occasional digs at Greta).
    But of course, backing it all up with quotes is still just being a meanie:(

I think oriel is saying it's all natural and we don't know how the earth spins.. but I'm afraid this is how I feel reading his/her posts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Skwgk9duVaU

You are all victims (willing or not) of the 'scientific method' which amounts to an opinion passed off as a method. As Dianetics is to scientologists then so is the Principia to empirical modelers in what to think, how to think and a sort of infallibility clause attached (Rule IV) -

"Rule III. The qualities of bodies which are found to belong to all bodies within the reach of our experiments, are to be esteemed the universal qualities of all bodies whatsoever." Newton

http://strangebeautiful.com/other-texts/newton-principia-rules-reasoning.pdf

Both incredibly dull and equally dangerous for a healthy and productive society, it is how mathematicians can turn the fall of an apple (experiment) into planetary orbital motion (universal qualities) or indeed the conditions in a common greenhouse ( experiment) into the Earth's atmosphere (universal qualities). Newton's attempt was unique as it set in motion the 'scientific method/Rule III who's follower never understood how he managed to make astronomical predictions look like experimental predictions even though I do.

It is clear that when faced with a simple temperature graph linking cause and effect within a 24 hour cycle and the conclusion of a meteorologist is that one complete rotation is not the cause then nothing more dismaying.

The only way proponents and opponents of 'climate change' know they have taken a bad road is that it leads to dull conclusions at the expense of genuine research into Earth sciences, including what should be a vibrant and exciting topic of the Earth's climate within a solar system framework.

There's that Rule III again.

No data, no analysis, no proof, no nothing. Just rhetoric, conspiracies and hurt feelings (oh and occasional digs at Greta).
    But of course, backing it all up with quotes is still just being a meanie:(

A truly inspirational response to the excesses of mathematicians came from a mathematician himself -

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20427391-600-alices-adventures-in-algebra-wonderland-solved/

Dodgson didn't really fail, however, mathematicians did go on to create the idea of human control of time and the universe by moving faster through an early 20th century formal expression of a late 19th century science fiction novel. Today is our turn with the idea of human control over planetary temperatures thereby making ourselves bigger than the topic itself.

People who whine and moan about how they didn't get their due or were bullied or intimidated don't belong in the fight. All that matters is people who can deal with the scourge of the 'scientific method' and the bluffers who use it as a high end welfare scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

There's that Rule III again.

Rule I don't talk about Rule III....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement