Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Options
  • 14-01-2020 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭

Can't see a thread on this. That's pretty soon huh? I hope people vote anything but FF/FG. Why not do something different for a change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

FG for a historic 3rd term with support from the greens and Labour. Hopefully can jettison FF as a confidence and supply partner and continue the good work in growing the economy.

No one wants to go back to the Bertie style giveaway politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't see a thread on this. That's pretty soon huh? I hope people vote anything but FF/FG. Why not do something different for a change?
    Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Because other parties don't have enough candidates to form a government

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

What alternative party is there that can draw enough support to actually hold enough away to form a significant pillar of a coalition?

I honestly don't think the greens will have more than 4 seats.
    Labour are still being whipped for their last stint in coalition.
    Sinn Fein have been labelled by both main parties as not coalition material.
    The rest of the left is a basket of idealogy over policy.

I 100% agree that change is desperately needed, but where will that change come from if there are no viable alternative parties to actually lead a government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Well, the Greens are running candidates in every constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well I'm hoping we get a new transport minister anyway, and health.

banie01 wrote: »
    I 100% agree that change is desperately needed, but where will that change come from if there are no viable alternative parties to actually lead a government?

So you think it's an entirely pointless exercise? All those stupid posters printed for nothing...

Out with Harris, Flanagan & Ross. Varadkar as an added bonus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

FG for a historic 3rd term with support from the greens and Labour. Hopefully can jettison FF as a confidence and supply partner and continue the good work in growing the economy.

Growing the number of people on hospital trolleys would certainly be historic given FG have consistently broken all previous records.
    Not to mention the record breaking costs of hospitals still not built. Also one for the history books.

Imo it would be very unwise of either the Greens or Labour to go into a coalition with either FG or FF - doing so in the past nearly killed both parties off.
    Much better for the smaller parties would be a 3 way coalition similar to the Rainbow Coalition of the late 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Going to be tight, Paddy. Won’t be a fanny hair in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

While change is good, hand on heart will new minister's in the health and housing actually solve the issues.

The people under them remain the same so if they are unable under Harris and Murphy to solve it, why would a minister change suddenly fix all the woes

FF or FG none have fixed much over all their years in power but no real alternative

Out with Harris, Flanagan & Ross. Varadkar as an added bonus.
    All of them will be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 horseboxxx

Easy to predict this election
    Look to the recent elections in Europe
    The main stream parties lack the Wit and Courage to do what everyone knows needs to be done
    So the public ls rejecting them
    Not quite ready to elect the people that will get the job done, the public have turned to a “outsider” party, The Greens.
    No doubt Ireland will be the same as Europe
    We will get the usual swing from FG To FF
    So bet the farm on a FF/Green government
    Nothing will change, might even get worse with the Greens, then in the next European election cycle, including Ireland, i would expect the Far Right to sweep to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

You want a bet? :D

While change is good, hand on heart will new minister's in the health and housing actually solve the issues.

They wont, no, but I just find SH insufferable. He's a little nerd bringing in stupid party spoiling alcohol and vape rules while the real problems spiral out of control.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

is_that_so wrote: »
    All of them will be returned.

I think they may have meant as Ministers.

However, Ross lost most of his supporting Councillors in May; I suspect he's gone

Flanagan has a constituency change to contend with but I'd say he's safe. Harris is likely to get a different portfolio if they end up back in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Saturday election: teachers must be gutted.

Very unimpressed by FG, but would FF be any better?

Greens are the (justified) moral high ground party; shame they're full of loopers.

Labour: who?

The people under them remain the same so if they are unable under Harris and Murphy to solve it, why would a minister change suddenly fix all the woes
    They will have the advantage of stepping into a plan of sorts and they'll get most of this year to just be seen. If, as claimed, things get better in 2020 and 2021 they'll look brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Would like to see Flanagan gone.
    Also Catherine "Allahu Akbar" Zappone should be returned ................. to Seattle after she losses her seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So you think it's an entirely pointless exercise? All those stupid posters printed for nothing...

I think the posters are pointless, yes.

I do not think our vote nor our PR system are pointless at all.
    Our method of actually choosing a government based on locally selected and elected representatives however?
    Very much so.
    There are many TD's sitting in DE by dint of their local profile and apparatus.

I myself have been guilty of voting for a local TD solely on the basis of "Their good local work".

We need to get our electorate and our parties away from the "Local" when it comes to GE's.

Quite often even the main parties win seats on local issues.
    Our system of representation is broken when a local issue can decide who sits in our National Government.

Voters need to focus on manifesto and more importantly policy.
    However a lot of Irish GE electioneering is based solely on the logo and the personality.

A party list system, or similar where the vote is for the policies and party rather than the photo would allow far better discourse and professionalism in National Politics.

Does a gen elec mean all Ministerial positions are dissolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

They will have the advantage of stepping into a plan of sorts and they'll get most of this year to just be seen. If, as claimed, things get better in 2020 and 2021 they'll look brilliant.

They'll have the "give me time to find my feet" excuse, commission reports etc

L1011 wrote: »
    I think they may have meant as Ministers.

However, Ross lost most of his supporting Councillors in May; I suspect he's gone

Flanagan has a constituency change to contend with but I'd say he's safe. Harris is likely to get a different portfolio if they end up back in Government.
    Read a while back Ross was pleased with internal polling. He's a good constituency TD and everyone loves to have a minister to call on. He also topped the poll with nearly 25% so it would have to be a massive falloff in support for him to lose. At a glance the result looks like as you were .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. Indeed a Minister that loses their seat, or doesn't even run, is still Minister until the new Taoiseach is appointed. In 2016 I think all sitting Ministers ran (Labour cleared the retirees off the front bench in 2014) but James Reilly and Alex White lost their seats.

Technically the current government remains in place until a new one is agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Like what?

Sf

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You're gonna be extremely disappointed if you think we re ever gonna have a government without either of these to, bring on the no change

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Not worked in a polling station before. Would it still be possible to get a job there on the election day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You're gonna be extremely disappointed if you think we re ever gonna have a government without either of these to, bring on the no change

Indeed it will just be the same old white going around in circles...

Advertisement