Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Some NCT centres sell plates. Not all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The_Fitz

deezell wrote: »
    Nope, they'll all cover UK reg, 4+ weeks depending on insurer

Just insured it with AIG.

No need to sort it at the NCT centre. Happy days.

michellie wrote: »

I'm going to Greenhills I think it is, off the m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Britton insurance, I had 2 months insured on UK plates due to delay in getting the stat code

I got them in the Kells one. I think it's pretty standard for the centers that also do VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭User1998

The_Fitz wrote: »
    I'm going to Greenhills I think it is, off the m50.

Greenhills do plates, €25 I think. Or Halfords on the Belgard road 2 minutes away

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

I posted earlier in the thread. Bought the car last week in the north and have the VRT booking tomorrow in a NCT centre. I'm bringing:

V5C form (includes CO & NOX emissions)
    VRTVPD2 form
    Utility bill dated within last two months (printout as paperless)
    PPS Card
    Dated Invoice of purchase
    Passport
    MOT certificate

Does that all seem ok?

Once it has all been imported and paid up, do they stick the plates on for ye? Do you just organise Insurance before you drive out of the NCT centre?

Probably a repetitive question of mine from last week but want to make sure it all goes through ok.

Cheers

Fitz

The VRTVPD2 mentions foreign registration number. Any idea where that might be?

Also the v5c is obviously in someone b else's name. That doesnt matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Foreign registration number is the uk number plate
    Yeah, no worries with the V5C being in uk owners name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭deezell

The VRTVPD2 mentions foreign registration number. Any idea where that might be?

Also the v5c is obviously in someone b else's name. That doesnt matter?

As above, plus you dont need the MOT. If you're applying to have MOT converted in an NCT, the car must be at least 4 years old during the currency of the MOT. You apply by sending in MOT cert with this application form.
    https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/New%202018/Application%20form%20for%20the%20Recognition%20of%20an%20EU%20Out-of-State%20Certificate%20of%20Roadworthiness%20for%20a%20Passenger%20Vehicle%20(PDF).pdf
    No fee currently applies. As MOT is at most good for 1 year, that is the maximum duration of the NCT cert you will receive. You send this form to the NCT head office, I suppose you could have it filled out and see would they take it at the NCT centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

wassie wrote: »
    Barrac, my reply may be a bit late, but I have done this with a dealer - you will most likely be issued a new V5C with updated keeper details direct from DVLA rather than the dealer posting it to you. I gave an address in NI.

My experience was I received the new V5C around 4 weeks. As others have said regarding warranty, I would be cautious about how purposeful it would be - Id seek to get a discount as others have suggested.

Hi Wassie. Thanks this is really helpful. So the Dealer sent the V5C to the DVLA and then the DVLA sent a new book showing you as the registered owner to an NI address? This is what the dealer I am talking to is proposing doing.

The DVLA website saying it should take 5 working days for a new logbook.

Did you wait to book your VRT appointment until you had the V5C in your hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads any advice on good dealerships/moto groups to consider buying from in uk? I’m aware of DACE group, but don’t know of any more?

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Britton insurance, I had 2 months insured on UK plates due to delay in getting the stat code

I got them in the Kells one. I think it's pretty standard for the centers that also do VRT

Nah its not standard, a lot don't do them. Especially if there's somewhere close nearby that does them.

Haven't been to Greenhills in years but being a large centre they most likely will do plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Looking to import a Transit Connect van from either Northern Ireland or England. What's the story on paying VAT on price quoted? I'm not VAT registered. Is there any bargaining power on whether it's charged or not to non UK citizens for export?

With regard to timing, with Brexit due on January 31st, should I be looking to get it done before then, or is there any penalty in getting it past that date?

The VRT is only €200 on the Transit and as it's a Euro6 engine, the Nox is only €260, so that's a reasonable price for a 2017 van.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have it insured for a week under a UK insurer. Will just switch to the new insurance onsite. Cheers

Did the dealer tell you that he provided you with 7 day drive away insurance? Never valid unless you live permanently in the UK. An accommodation address, dealer, family member etc is irrelevant. Get onto your Irish insurer and they will insure it on U.K. reg for 30 days before they have to notify Revenue. That is valid insurance, the other one will not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

DamoRed wrote: »
    Looking to import a Transit Connect van from either Northern Ireland or England. What's the story on paying VAT on price quoted? I'm not VAT registered. Is there any bargaining power on whether it's charged or not to non UK citizens for export?

With regard to timing, with Brexit due on January 31st, should I be looking to get it done before then, or is there any penalty in getting it past that date?

The VRT is only €200 on the Transit and as it's a Euro6 engine, the Nox is only €260, so that's a reasonable price for a 2017 van.
    Does nox apply to commercial vehicles,and if so how do I calculate it cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Can a mod change the title of the thread to include that fact there’s a transition period or something the thread is becoming painful.

As regards VAT you’ll have to pay it as you’re not vat registered, luckily for you it’s 20percent there unlike 23 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Massy086, As far as I know, NoX applies to all vehicles.

You can find your prospective car here https://www.nextgreencar.com/tools/emissions-calculator/ among others, and the table of charges is as follows,

NOx emissions (NOx mg/km or mg/kWh) Amount payable per mg/km or mg/kWh

The first 0-60 mg/km or mg/kWh €5

The next 20 mg/km or mg/kWh or part thereof, up to 80 mg/km or mg/kWh, €15

The remainder above 80 mg/km or mg/kWh €25

as seen here https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/calculating-the-nox-charge.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

You can find your prospective car here https://www.nextgreencar.com/tools/emissions-calculator/ among others, and the table of charges is as follows,

as seen here https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/calculating-the-nox-charge.aspx

The charge is applicable to all Category A vehicles excluding electrics but including hybrids. If I'm not mistaken commercial vehicles are category b and nox is only on category A vehicle,s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭wassie

barrac wrote: »
    Hi Wassie. Thanks this is really helpful. So the Dealer sent the V5C to the DVLA and then the DVLA sent a new book showing you as the registered owner to an NI address? This is what the dealer I am talking to is proposing doing. The DVLA website saying it should take 5 working days for a new logbook.

No I made a tentative booking, then rescheduled a couple of times when it didnt arrive. I think you can change the date up to 5 days in advance without penalty which is a PITA, otherwise you get the change fee added on when you do finally register the vehicle.

NO, it doesn't. It applies to Category A vehicles.

barrac wrote: »
    Hi Wassie. Thanks this is really helpful. So the Dealer sent the V5C to the DVLA and then the DVLA sent a new book showing you as the registered owner to an NI address? This is what the dealer I am talking to is proposing doing.

The DVLA website saying it should take 5 working days for a new logbook.

You should have gotten the V5 when you got the car. The DVLA won't post it to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

You should have gotten the V5 when you got the car. The DVLA won't post it to Ireland

Thanks. The dealer I am buying from wont sell cars for export. So the V5C needs to go to a UK address from the DVLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

L-M wrote: »
    Can a mod change the title of the thread to include that fact there’s a transition period or something the thread is becoming painful.

As regards VAT you’ll have to pay it as you’re not vat registered, luckily for you it’s 20percent there unlike 23 here.

come Brexit, it could happen that on a used car you might have to pay both. The UK VAT will be of no relevance to the Taxman here unless a specific deal is done over it which I can't see happening as there are so many UK persons adamant that out means out.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

LillySV wrote: »

I read this as saying regardless as to what happens on 1st Feb, if you have imported a car before this date you will have 1 month's grace to register it (1st March).

Then if the UK crashes out of the EU (Hard Brexit) on 1st Feb and you bring a car in after this date, VAT will apply.

However, the likelihood of a Hard Brexit is low at this point and any changes (Soft Brexit), if any, would not potentially be applied before the end of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

WacoKid wrote: »
    I read this as saying regardless as to what happens on 1st Feb, if you have imported a car before this date you will have 1 month's grace to register it (1st March).

Then if the UK crashes out of the EU (Hard Brexit) on 1st Feb and you bring a car in after this date, VAT will apply.

However, the likelihood of a Hard Brexit is low at this point and any changes (Soft Brexit), if any, would not potentially be applied before the end of 2020.

i think that's correct except it 's my belief that a sizable proportion of UK politicians don't want a soft Brexit. Out means out in their book.

But even if they have a soft brexit.... if car is actually bought after 1st feb u will be hit for vat... that’s what I take it to mean... fair enough I can get it vrtd before 1st March but must have the car here before 1st feb. I had read before that they might have a transition period up to dec 20 but don’t see any revenue doc saying that so I’m taking it as 1stfeb is cut off for actually importing car

LillySV wrote: »
    But even if they have a soft brexit.... if car is actually bought after 1st feb u will be hit for vat... that’s what I take it to mean... fair enough I can get it vrtd before 1st March but must have the car here before 1st feb. I had read before that they might have a transition period up to dec 20 but don’t see any revenue doc saying that so I’m taking it as 1stfeb is cut off for actually importing car

Hard Brexit means a default to trade agreements with a non-EU country (i.e. VAT).
    Soft Brexit will see negotiations required on any new trade agreements first, and until these are in place, existing agreements will remain.

That's how I see it but could be wrong.

I had a quick look to see what a Hard Brexit, or change in trade agreement, means for the UK used car industry.

Last year 2.1m cars changed hands in the UK. IIFC ROI imported approx. 110k cars from the UK, or 5% of the UK used car market.

Not sure this is enough for the UK to look to keep the used car trade route with ROI open as-is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

This tax gives the used car industry in Ireland an extra 80,000 sales. If you calculate that a dealer makes €1000 per car that is a gross profit of €80,000,000. That is quite significant for a small market. The motor industry have been in the press recently defending the charge in a self serving semi propaganda exercise to drive home the message that the nox charge is a good thing. It is for them I guess. I would like to see the rational / science behind the sliding scale charge. It is very coincidental that the amount of tax being charged is almost exactly the same figure as you would expect to save from importing a car from the UK. Does anybody know if the motor industry had a hand in helping the government draft the bill/tax? Were they used as consultants? I don’t believe that this is beyond the realms of possibility and if it was the case is this not corruption? Maybe they consulted with environmentalists who came up with the figures needed to combat pollution.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement