Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I still have no resolution to this - anyone help me?

See video below. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DF...ature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

sticker wrote: »
    I still have no resolution to this - anyone help me?

See video below. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DF...ature=youtu.be

Video unavailable

jonski wrote: »
    Video unavailable

Here is an updated link. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/39DF3iY9N3M

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Here is an updated link. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/39DF3iY9N3M

What's the bar at the top with all the icons?

CatInABox wrote: »
    What's the bar at the top with all the icons?

A quick launch app - removed now and problem still persists...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Are you aligning items to grid? Right click on desktop;
    g9pn7M2.png

It probably shouldn't do that even if you aren't but it might be a quick fix.

Have you fences installed by any chance?

d31b0y wrote: »
    Are you aligning items to grid? Right click on desktop;
    g9pn7M2.png

It probably shouldn't do that even if you aren't but it might be a quick fix.

Have you fences installed by any chance?

I do have fences installed but problem was there before I insatlled it. I did the auto align and it has correctyed things.

Still something up though with my settings though! Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

First, I cannot seem to make the left monitor the primary

Just on this part, the primary monitor is set by the port that you use on the videocard, so if you swap the cables around on the pc end, then the one on the left will be the primary monitor.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just on this part, the primary monitor is set by the port that you use on the videocard, so if you swap the cables around on the pc end, then the one on the left will be the primary monitor.

I'll give that a try when I get home - Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Can you not change it in display settings from the desktop?
    Shouldn't need to go swapping cables around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The NSA has revealed a big security flaw hidden inside Windows 10 including other Windows operating systems.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/14/microsoft-to-patch-windows-10-after-nsa-finds-vulnerability.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I bought Windows 10 last year and tried installing it but after the restart it gets stuck on "waiting for updates" so I end up having to switch off and on the machine and defaulting to Windows 7.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Can you not change it in display settings from the desktop?
    Shouldn't need to go swapping cables around

Hi, I have a hdmi cable for one monitor and a dsiaplay port cable to the other. When I try to swap monitors from desktop the mouse will not flow from one to the next in the usual way. Its flipped so I have to move mouse to the left on left montior and it appears on right on right side.

Anyway, the workaround is fine with me. Thanks

Hi All,

I've 2 quick questions:

1) On my old PC I had a ton (I mean a ton!) of fonts insatalled and I use a lot of them on a saved graphics app for quick use but they would be burried in the fonts folder in my old drive and it would be a lot of time to dig them out one by one...

If I copied the entire font directory in the old machine and moved it by USB drive to my new fonts folder would it be a resource killer for the new Rig? I've a latest spec gaming/work setup so I'm not sure if my mind is still in windows 95 mode(!) Is this still a considertation with modern PC specs to have a large font archive in the system?

2) Do you guys shut down your PCs every night after use? I work from home so use it a lot, but again - I might be old school with this! Is it needed to give the machine a breather every night?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Fonts won’t be an issue. You might notice a slight pause when clicking on a font selector or loading Photoshop.

Most PCs draw very little power when in sleep and almost as much when powered off. There’s very little point powering off unless you also plug it out. Best to leave it just sleep if you’re unconcerned about energy saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

2) Do you guys shut down your PCs every night after use? I work from home so use it a lot, but again - I might be old school with this! Is it needed to give the machine a breather every night?

Thanks!

Outside of the odd restart I haven't turned my PC off for 4 years.

Hi, I have a hdmi cable for one monitor and a dsiaplay port cable to the other. When I try to swap monitors from desktop the mouse will not flow from one to the next in the usual way. Its flipped so I have to move mouse to the left on left montior and it appears on right on right side.

Anyway, the workaround is fine with me. Thanks
    You just need to swap them round in display settings to fix that.
    So if your monitors show as 1|2, swap em round to say 2|1 and normal service should resume. If you're not sure which is which, just press the identify button first to see.

Just something to keep in mind if it happens again for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

philstar wrote: »
    i'm using a xp laptop (don't snigger)

i'm thinking of getting a new laptop with windows 10.. is there a steep learning curve??

or is it basically the same set up?

I hated the thought of upgrading windows 7 to windows 10. I just like win 7 and find it handy.
    But I realised that if you are doing banking etc or using credit and debit card you are leaving yourself very vulnerable as there are no longer windows updates for windows 7.
    Techie heads would have a meltdown altogether to know you are still using windows xp!

With extreme reluctance I upgraded to windows 10 for free a few days ago

Then I made the changes to settings recommended once I downloaded it

I messed around with it. But I still missed the windows 7 aspect of it. Especially the windows 7 start menu in particular.

So I was delighted when I found you could still run windows 10 but could create a 'windows 7 shell' to make the start menu look like windows 7.
    It is not a microsoft product though it is independently made - it is free!

I just followed these instructions below -

I did have a bit of difficulty getting the start button image to look decent.

You have to use an image with three orbs.

I messed around with photoshop and made two transparent background versions.

Windows Classic orb -

BiExfqy.png

Windows Black orb -
    Ap53dgM.png

I found that when you mess with the windows 7 shell settings that 85% size suited my laptop.
    Once I twigged that I was grand.
    I could be different depending to the device you are using.

peilZkV.png

Eventually I got taskbar to look like this picked black colour in the win 7 shell settings and black orb.
    1ANCuXc.png

To get this look I picked storm colour from the windows 10 settings and black background.

You can mess around with it for your own personal preferences.

For example I did not like the look of the 'metro' skin in the win 7 shell settings so I picked 'midnight' instead.

Tt3t0xj.png

It gave the start menu a bit of darker background.

nWmFXA2.png

So when you get your windows 10 pc you can give it more of a familiar look - windows 7 is not that far off xp.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Can you get Windows 10 to look like Windows 95?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

degsie wrote: »
    You used to be able to get windows 98 to use the explorer.exe from windows 95 and and it just wizzed along without active desktop etc

Would be nice if you could do the same sort of trick now and remove all stuff that makes explorer unresponsive every so often in windows 10 :(

• Advertisement

To be honest I doubt I would use many of them. A lot of them seem good if you were do a presentation and trying to explain things to people online.

degsie wrote: »

I found a fella on you tube who created a windows 95 theme for windows 10 and instructed on how to do it.

Also there is this link in the description.
    I have not tried it out.

https://newagesoldier.com/windows-95-theme-for-windows-10/

Has anyone here tried the new Microsoft Edge browser?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ_fHBxebap3dndbpY5VY4LK1K4iXG_Wb3JaJLLHlz5UBTWLw3e

I downloaded it today for the first time. It looks very similar to Google Chrome.

The only snag that I observed is that there no proper way to personalize the browser, like Chrome, from inside Edge.

http://microsoft.com/Edge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It'll be another Microsoft browser disaster. They've been trying for 25 years and its always been shíte.

The Nal wrote: »
    It'll be another Microsoft browser disaster. They've been trying for 25 years and its always been shíte.
    It's based on Chromium so it should be alright

It's very good, actually. Very well reviewed around the internet, with the main difference between Chrome and Edge is that Edge gives you more control over your privacy settings. Not too surprising really, as Google requires low privacy to run their ad empire.

Have been using it since it launched, and the vast majority of the time I haven't even noticed that I was using something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I've been using the Canary build for months. Just now making the full time switch from Chrome to Edge. It's very good. It's a more slimmed down Chrome and it seems to do a better job of memory management when multiple tabs are open. Just read last week that Microsoft have offered to help Google with their resource management. So, the success of Edge could be Google's success too.

Some don't like the design but I don't have a problem with it.

I was watching the Windows Central podcast episode 214 on Youtube earlier tonight. The video link is above if you want to watch it.

Zac Bowden has given some interesting news tonight about Sun Valley in the podcast telling us about the big details for the new UI release of Windows 10. Microsoft are to do a very big launch to market this new update to their new & current users when it gets released in the autumn. MS are in the process of releasing some exciting new builds to it's users in the Windows Insider Program which will begin in the Spring. Zac had also said that this new launch for the Sun Valley update will be a much bigger launch than Windows 10X which will have it's major launch penned for next year.

Now what is actually contained in these details is uncertain for the moment because no new screenshots have released to Zac so far about how this new Sun Valley update will look to it's users. There are apparently some big changes being planned for the Start menu in this new update. People are going to have the option of choosing 2 start menus to use in this new update if they wish. I think one option is to have the traditional menu with the rounded corners in the new UI. The other option is that there will be a floating Start Menu with the hamburger menu on the side of the current menu being replaced with a new graphics template which will be placed at the bottom of the start menu. The options in this new menu can be selected from left to right instead of top to bottom.

Zac was also mentioning in the Q&A of the video podcast that there will be some new UI updates given to the Microsoft Store apps once Sun Valley is released in the autumn. No details have been given about what apps will be updated with Sun Valley. There is also no word yet if the MS store App is to be included in the Sun Valley update. I guess MS will release that information in due course when it is appropriate.

I think the details about Sun Valley are mentioned in the 20/25 minute mark of this podcast. The UI changes to the apps are mentioned somewhere near the end of it. It goes on for about 1 hr & 40 minutes for tonight's episode. It has a lot of good stuff in there for any new information regarding updates for Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I managed to install Windows 10 eventually.

• Advertisement

Satya Nadella and Panos Panay are to host a new Windows event online to showcase "The next generation of Windows" (either Sun Valley or Windows 11) on Thursday the 24th of June. It will be held at 11am ET/4pm Irish time. The world's media have been sent invites from Microsoft to view to this event. It is being touted as something that could be very big news from Microsoft's point of view.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/25/22453222/microsoft-windows-next-generation-announcement-sun-valley-build-2021-keynote

Advertisement