Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin bikes demand!

• 11-01-2020 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I've recently started using Dublin bikes to get to work during the week and have been really frustrated when I go to the bike terminals in the morning Monday-Friday and there is a big queue of people waiting for a bike to be returned. Anyone else have the same issue? Does this happen at all the bike terminal stations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lgh wrote: »
    Hi, I've recently started using Dublin bikes to get to work during the week and have been really frustrated when I go to the bike terminals in the morning Monday-Friday and there is a big queue of people waiting for a bike to be returned. Anyone else have the same issue? Does this happen at all the bike terminal stations?

Get yourself a bike. They are meant for occasional trips not reliance for commuting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lgh wrote: »

Some stations will have a high demand at certain times. I used to see it at quite a few along by the canal. One closest to where I'd come into town would usually have no bikes or a queue from about 8.15. But I usually passed it at 7.15 and you'd have your pick.

Your options:

1) Download the app and check the demand at stations and see if there is one that would suit where the demand isn't as high.
    2) Go earlier
    3) Get your own bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭LastStop

At some of the stations in the morning I've seen a queue waiting to return bikes, they have to wait because there is no gap to put the bike back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

listermint wrote: »
    Get yourself a bike. They are meant for occasional trips not reliance for commuting.

Nonsense if living and working in the Dublin bike zone.

I use them every day to go from the office to Pearse station. About a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness they were never meant for daily commuting.
    Journeys tend to move toward the city centre in the morning and out to the periphery in the evening.

Unless you are going against that flow, you'll always have problems.
    Just buy a cheap bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact them and see if something can be done as that's why they have the vans and truck beds moving them around.

To be fair, most of the dublin bike usage at peak times in morning and evening is by people who do use it for daily 'commuting'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Is there no other stations even vaguely near? I have 3 "preferred" pick up stops and another 3 walking in my direction. And 3 drop off locations. When I worked in the docklands the stations were more than likely full so I always left the bike slightly further in town. For the sake of 5 minutes walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cloudio9 wrote: »

It's not nonsense. Depends entirely where you live. It's why they have trucks to distribute them more evenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Cloudio9 wrote: »

100% agreed ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They’re also handy if you commute from the greater Dublin area by bus/train and then it’s either a 10 minute cycle or a long enough walk.
    Would be difficult to bring a bike with you on the commute every day, especially on the bus as Dublin bus for eg you can’t bring on bikes.
    This is why a lot of people use the Dublin bikes when they get into the city to go the “final mile”.

Bike share schemes the world over are primarily used by commuters. Its one of the biggest benefits of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Charlemont and along the canal are notoriously bad in the morning, the app used to be handy as it would tell you the situation at nearby stations for available bikes and spare racks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

To be fair, most of the dublin bike usage at peak times in morning and evening is by people who do use it for daily 'commuting'.

+1

I cannot understand the amount of people who think bicycle share isn't for commuting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

monument wrote: »
    +1

I cannot understand the amount of people who think bicycle share isn't for commuting.
    They're not really meant for commuting, that's why there are no stations outside Connolly or Heuston. Commuters create tidal flows which prevent a bike share from working properly

They're not really meant for commuting, that's why there are no stations outside Connolly or Heuston. Commuters create tidal flows which prevent a bike share from working properly

There is a station outside Heuston and 2 more just across the bridge.

+1

I think when it was launched it was aimed at tourists and city center residents. I think they must have said this at the time because I also remember this. When it started it was useless for commuting. I gave up on it. I switched to a folding bike myself at the time.

I assume as it expanded it had better capacity and was able to cater for commuters aswell. These days i only use Dublin bikes for lunchtime trips and never have an issue.

+1

I'd imagine it's the people who want to get where they are going.

Those that want to take a chance on a bike being there think they are for commuting.

Those that dont get their own bike. It's like relying on a taxi to be available at the same location every morning to get you to the office or buying your one car.

... Plenty of gamblers on this forum I see.

Nonsense .. pffft

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would be a little confused at what people mean when they discuss what the bike scheme is 'for'. it's for (generally) short trip cycling, you cannot dictate what people use it for (bar stating an initial intention) after it's been installed, people will use it in whatever way they see fit and find useful.

i would be a little confused at what people mean when they discuss what the bike scheme is 'for'. it's for (generally) short trip cycling, you cannot dictate what people use it for (bar stating an initial intention) after it's been installed, people will use it in whatever way they see fit and find useful.

I don't think anyone disputed that. It's the notion that someone is reliant on it and complains when there is little capacity because it's being overloaded with similar minded individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There does seem to be an overall West to East flow in the mornings for the bikes and the reverse in the evening. Its a pity the scheme has not expanded, I suspect Dublin City are hoping the dockless bikes will pick up the slack but so far they are a far inferior offering (Bleeperbikes) in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

There is a lot of economic activity centred in grand canal dock now and very little public transport options running East West.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭DoctorPan

There's 3 at Heuston station plus two more across the bridge, and one accross the road at Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

As has already been pointed out, there are at least 5 stations within walking distance of Heuston.

Tidal flows are part and parcel of city travel. That’s why they have the trucks to move the bikes around when necessary.
    Interestingly, I think I read that they aim for the system to be 70% self-sufficient in terms of bike movements while the other 30% requires intervention as mentioned.

Last Stop wrote: »
    As has already been pointed out, there are at least 5 stations within walking distance of Heuston. ...

As was said earlier. There wasn't originally.

https://irishcycle.com/2013/02/19/dublinbikes-expansion-deal-not-yet-reached-with-jcdecaux/

I'm almost certain they said it wasn't aimed at commuters originally. Changed their mind or perhaps that was the original plan to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

beauf wrote: »
    As was said earlier. There wasn't originally.

https://irishcycle.com/2013/02/19/dublinbikes-expansion-deal-not-yet-reached-with-jcdecaux/

I'm almost certain they said it wasn't aimed at commuters originally. Changed their mind or perhaps that was the original plan to expand.

It started in the city centre and worked its way out. The scheme is developed along corridors so stations are never more that 200m apart. That means in the event you try to return a bike and the station is full, you don’t have far to go to the next one.

Certainly now they have the numbers and stands that a lot of commuters can use them. Depends on your route how useful they'll be. But at the start it wasn't that useful. Still isn't for me.

You really only needed the last paragraph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

There does seem to be an overall West to East flow in the mornings for the bikes and the reverse in the evening. Its a pity the scheme has not expanded, I suspect Dublin City are hoping the dockless bikes will pick up the slack but so far they are a far inferior offering (Bleeperbikes) in my opinion

I sometimes pick up a bike near the convention centre in the morning and drop off at Leeson Street Bridge. Frequently, the station is empty and there are people waiting for me to park. (I believe that a similar situation can exist further up the canal at Harcourt Terrace and at the Hilton). However, at the same time, the station c.50 yards before it at Wilton Park and the one before that one at Baggot Street bridge (another 50 yds?) could be full with people waiting to leave bikes back.

The scheme was expanded a few years back and moved up towards Heuston and Grangegorman and into the Docklands. It seems to me to have been a great success and I'm surprised that DCC are not looking even further to e.g. Ballsbridge, Rathmines, Fairview where I'm sure there would be great demand.

• Advertisement

The scheme was expanded a few years back and moved up towards Heuston and Grangegorman and into the Docklands. It seems to me to have been a great success and I'm surprised that DCC are not looking even further to e.g. Ballsbridge, Rathmines, Fairview where I'm sure there would be great demand.

I remember reading that they are reviewing the scheme and looking at the station-less bike model and how that might extend the reach of bike-sharing at lower cost than the existing Dublin Bikes model.

There may also be the fact that a DCC report (p. 22/23) that said membership levels have plateaued and may decline in time so there may be an unwillingness to invest further at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

They need to expand a little more south as only goes to the canal.

Ballsbridge to Rathmines would gain a lot I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was reading last week that both Bleeper and new entrant Mobi are to introduce 400-500 electric bikes in early Spring and eventually total out at 1,000 in this phase. CEO of Bleeper believes there is potential for 5,000 electric bikes inside the m50 They expect people to use electric bikes for journeys of 5km-7km and it looks like the charge will be 2 euro per trip
    Up to 1,000 electric bicycles will be available for hire on Dublin streets in the coming months with two separate companies due to launch similar operations in early Spring.

Dublin City Council has said that two Irish companies, BleeperBike and Moby, will be licensed to hire out “pedelecs” (electrically assisted pedal cycles) throughout the capital.

The average journey length for a pedal cycle was about 3.5km, he said, but he expected electric-assisted bikes to be used for longer journeys, typically five to seven kilometres.

The price point for e-bike rental was still being worked out, but Mr Cooney said it would be at least double the charge of a push-bike. BleeperBike currently charges a minimum of € 1 per journey on its service.

Mr Cooney said he welcomed the fact that Moby was also entering the market. He said two operators in competition, both Irish-owned, would raise the profile of the service. He said the experiences in other cities throughout Europe showed e-bikes have had a transformative effect on urban and commuter travel.

He pointed to countries like Germany where e-bikes now outsell traditional push cycles. “Inside the M50 there is potential for a fleet of 5,000 shared e-bikes in the long-term,” he said.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/up-to-1-000-electric-bikes-to-be-available-for-hire-in-dublin-1.4137549

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Caquas

Just started with Dublinbikes. Delighted to have this option to get around the city centre but frustrated that bike racks south of Stephens Green are empty every evening by 5.30 until after 7 pm.

Last night there wasn’t a single bike in six stations I.e. over 180 empty spaces with no bike available. The app showed a few bikes at one station but when I got there 5 minutes later, they were gone.

Obviously the office workers are taking them at the end of their day and but why isn’t there a system to replace them quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Does this mean that the scheme is considered a success? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

This is why I have me own bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Caquas wrote: »

Obviously the office workers are taking them at the end of their day and but why isn’t there a system to replace them quickly?

what system do you suggest. There is a truck that moves bikes around during the day but you'd need a huge fleet of trucks (and drivers) to cope with that sort of one-way demand.

as others have said if you're relying on them on a daily basis for a regular journey, you might consider buying a cheap bike you can leave locked at a stand.

Does this mean that the scheme is considered a success? :D

It's one of the most successful in the world.

Probably be even more successful if there wasn't so much neglect of cycling in Ireland by govt etc.

Caquas wrote: »
    .. .but why isn’t there a system to replace them quickly?...

There is a system. But it has limited resources.

This has been discussed to death earlier. I think in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

p_haugh wrote: »
    They’re also handy if you commute from the greater Dublin area by bus/train and then it’s either a 10 minute cycle or a long enough walk.
    Would be difficult to bring a bike with you on the commute every day, especially on the bus as Dublin bus for eg you can’t bring on bikes.
    This is why a lot of people use the Dublin bikes when they get into the city to go the “final mile”.

Just get your own bus, problem solved :pac:

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    They need to expand a little more south as only goes to the canal.

Ballsbridge to Rathmines would gain a lot I say.

They'd want to sort out the Northside first. There was uproar a few years ago when it emerged that 65% of the stations are over the southside while only 40% of the advertising hoardings, which is pretty disgraceful.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-bikes-row-2977594-Sep2016/

Even take a look at the station map, it's criminal how little penetration there is North of the Liffey and how narrow the focus is in an East/West direction:

503198.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

They'd want to sort out the Northside first. There was uproar a few years ago when it emerged that 65% of the stations are over the southside while only 40% of the advertising hoardings, which is pretty disgraceful.

Even take a look at the station map, it's criminal how little penetration there is North of the Liffey and how narrow the focus is in an East/West direction:

503198.PNG

Seems appropriate given the way areas of employment are concentrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

503198.PNG

It should be rolled out all over dublin, in my opinion. People in the suburbs bike too, and in fact, there is often BETTER biking infrastructure in the suburbs than there is in town, as well as fewer public transportation options making the bike a more sensible alternative.

Even so they can of course start slowly by expending south as far as Dundrum, west as far as liffey valley/phoenix park, north as far as say Artane Roundabout/Omni shopping center / Glasnevin, west as far as Ringsend and south as far as say Dundrum. That'd be a good start.

donvito99 wrote: »

Why what are they advertising?

machaseh wrote: »
    It should be rolled out all over dublin, in my opinion. People in the suburbs bike too, and in fact, there is often BETTER biking infrastructure in the suburbs than there is in town, as well as fewer public transportation options making the bike a more sensible alternative.

Even so they can of course start slowly by expending south as far as Dundrum, west as far as liffey valley/phoenix park, north as far as say Artane Roundabout/Omni shopping center / Glasnevin, west as far as Ringsend and south as far as say Dundrum. That'd be a good start.

Hasn't the expansion stalled for now though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

They won't expand the scheme much more than now.
    The further out you go from the city centre, the more one-way flows will occur.
    This adds greatly to cost with the redistribution of bikes required.

donvito99 wrote: »

Yeah, cos only people with jobs know how to ride a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I've had a cheap Raleigh mountain bike that I bought for 20 EUR on Adverts locked around town and in various random spots from Dublin to Bray for a few years now, I literally never bring it home, it lives in town. It regularly spends a week locked outside Heuston Station under those trees beside the LUAS stop, it's spent weekends locked outside Tara Street station aswell which I always think is going to be the end of it but I'm running for a GoBus at the time and had no choice but its always fine, the scum are only interested in what will sell.

It's completely superior to a Dublin bike to ride, faster, lighter, lock it anywhere, bring it on a DART if you need it etc. Plus its free and has paid for itself many times over. I don't know why everyone doesn't do it, I'd go mad if I had to rely on Dublin bikes. Just put a good lock on it and find somewhere public for it and it'll be fine, nobodies interested in 20 year old Raleighs, Adverts is crammed with them

€20 bike plus €40 for a good lock = 6 years worth of subscription fees for DB, when it first came out. That was under the old pricing structure...think its €25 per year now, so only 2.5 years........but still makes sense as the odds of having a bike nicked or wrecked or rusted or parts robbed in that time when you're leaving it around town on a permanent basis.

Plus, what happens if its locked outside Heuston and you need it around Merrion Square?

To be honest, the bikes themselves are brutal, could do with another 5 gears at least, so I know where you're coming from......but there's also an argument to be made that subscribing to and supporting the scheme lets the powers that be know there is demand for improving the infrastructure. Everyone's a winner when more people are cycling around town, especially the car drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

dubrov wrote: »
    They won't expand the scheme much more than now.
    The further out you go from the city centre, the more one-way flows will occur.
    This adds greatly to cost with the redistribution of bikes required.

Yeah its looking like the DCC plan from here on in is to let Bleeper and Urbo take up the slack for the rest of the city.

Also those companies are putting around 500 electric bikes on the streets sometime this Spring so that will extend things a lot. Though at 2 euro a ride it is not all that much cheaper than the bus with a leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Caquas

beauf wrote: »
    There is a system. But it has limited resources.

This has been discussed to death earlier. I think in this thread.

Not on this thread and I haven't see the others.

Resources? Just pay someone to take bikes from the full racks and ride them to the empty racks.

I will abandon this service if I can't rely on it. I'll be sorry to add to the random bikes strewn all over Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement