Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf books, documentaries etc

Options
  • 11-01-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for golf books to listen to on audible? Just finished the tiger woods one by Jeff Benedict and thought it was brilliant. Also watched a few documentaries on YouTube that were good. I love watching the golf YouTubers like Rick Shiels. Brodie Smith is annoying but plays some nice course and his wife is gorgeous lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Any recommendations for golf books to listen to on audible? Just finished the tiger woods one by Jeff Benedict and thought it was brilliant. Also watched a few documentaries on YouTube that were good. I love watching the golf YouTubers like Rick Shiels. Brodie Smith is annoying but plays some nice course and his wife is gorgeous lol

Anything by John Feinstein or Mark Frost is worth reading. 'A Good Walk Spoiled' by the former and 'The Greatest Game Ever Played' would be their best efforts imo.
    As regards documentaries, the BBC did a great one on Seve right around when he died. Raw and quite emotional. Who wouldve thought Ken Brown would interview so well?
    I notice that all the Open films since 1970 are now available to watch from the Open website, as the Masters films have been for a year or 2 now. Not documentaries obviously but great to be able to watch all the great duels from the 2 best majors imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This, on netflix is a very good watch:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I enjoyed watching this, I wasn't playing golf at the time so it was relatively new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Four iron to the Soul is enjoyable book. Not too long either. Easy read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Four iron to the Soul is enjoyable book. Not too long either. Easy read.

Superb read. Great insight and good humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

Bob Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" is a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Not the most analytical offering but full of enjoyable anecdotal stories and nuggets of wisdom about various aspects of the game such as the separation between practice and play.

Basic axioms which we all know we should follow but fail to do so, it makes you feel as though they can be adhered to relatively easily, well worth a read.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/935617.Golf_is_Not_a_Game_of_Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone read Ben Hogans Five Lessons and find it helped their game?

Heard so many good stories about it wonder is it worth buying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Bought a nice version of the book, but got no benefit to my game from it.

Found it too technical for my game. Really just bought it because it was a nice book to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

A Course Called Ireland by Tom Coyne is a good read. He has another book called Paper Tiger which is supposed to be good as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Superb book. I found it very insightful on the key basics written in language which isn't too technical.

Hogans love for (and obsession with) the game shines through.

Easy and quick to read. My copy is full of notes I've scribbled and passages I've highlighted etc.

I love thinking through it from time to time.

A timeless classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8290702/

Chronicles of a Champion Golfer is well worth a watch on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Just reading this

36664343._SX318_.jpg

.....We all knew Earl was headbanger but the story of Tiger winning his third US Amateur was pretty eye-opening. His non-acknowledgement of Steve Scott reminding him he'd moved his marker was pretty extra-ordinary, I thought. But for Scott being the better sportsman Woods turning professional might have had less of the fanfare it had.

It's a great read, if you haven't read it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just reading this

36664343._SX318_.jpg

.....We all knew Earl was headbanger but the story of Tiger winning his third US Amateur was pretty eye-opening. His non-acknowledgement of Steve Scott reminding him he'd moved his marker was pretty extra-ordinary, I thought. But for Scott being the better sportsman Woods turning professional might have had less of the fanfare it had.

It's a great read, if you haven't read it already.

Yeah I'm reading it at the moment, very entertaining. Just hope Tiger does his own tell all autobiography some day, if he is as intensely private as Benedict says then he may never do it. Like why bother when you are a multi-millionnaire and don't wont to go back over some of the bad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SEORG

The First Major - John Feinstein on the 2016 Ryder Cup
    Commander & Cheat - Rick Reilly about Trump's golf exploits
    The Match by Mark Frost - Ben Hogan & Byron Nelson v Harvie Ward & Ken Venturi in a fourball match around Cypres Point.

Harvey Penicks Little Red Book & Hogan's Five Lessons - Instructional & nice to have on the bookshelf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

It’s interesting to get Hogans take but it has to be put in the right context - Hogan suffered the hooks and so a lot in the 5 fundamentals is a guide to not hooking the ball - much of it still solid though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

It’s interesting to get Hogans take but it has to be put in the right context - Hogan suffered the hooks and so a lot in the 5 fundamentals is a guide to not hooking the ball - much of it still solid though

I have been messing around and changing my grip in recent months.

I find when altering the grip, your tendency is gripping too tight.

In order to counteract that and feel quite loose prior to striking, I use Hogans test of resting the club softly but easily supported between the index finger and muscles along the pad of the palm.

It's an excellent cue and that nugget of info alone makes the book well worth purchasing.

Chris Ryan gives a better description but it works extremely well:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Down the audiobook route I'm a big fan of Audible and their depth of content however I've recently discovered Scribd which is an alternative to Audible and who seems to have an equally large selection of content. The difference between the two is that Scribd is more like a Netflix kinda deal whereby you pay your monthly fee and you are then free to listen and read as many audiobooks and ebooks as you like. They are currently running a 30 day free trial without the requirement to enter any card details and that's what I'm currently on. Last week I listened to "The Second Life of Tiger Woods" by Michael Bamberger (really enjoyed it) and now I'm listening to "A Course Called Scotland" by Tom Coyne. All for free and I still have 3 weeks left!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Slaying The Tiger by Shane Ryan is a great read. He followed the PGA Tour for a year in 2014 with the idea being the new cohort of players coming after Tiger to dominate the game. Despite Tigers return it wouldnt really have aged too badly.

He does close interviews with about a dozen players. It's been a while since I read it but there was some good Patrick Reed stuff in there. It was a good season as well with Rorys two majors and McGinley captaining Europe.

I have heard that getting a US version of the book contains more details because of our libel laws though.

Advertisement