Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart zone alarms

Options
  • 06-01-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I am wondering if anyone has ever used the company smartzone.ie? I mailed them and asked for price and below is the quote I received.

I am not very knowledgable in this area so before going ahead I wanted to check Here first. Boardsies have always steered me in the right direction in past.

I’d love to know is this an ok deal and is the company a reliable one?

Supply and install
    1 x Smartzone Smart Home Hub
    1 x Alarm Keypad at Front Door
    2 x Door/Window Sensors Front and Back Door
    3 x PIR Motion Sensors – Front, Back and Upstairs Landing
    1 x External Dummy Bellbox
    €99 total

Add 5 additional sensors as required at €40 each, total €200

On Sale January only - Video Doorbell €20.20 (RRP €270)

Finally we charge a monthly fee on a 36 month contract of €29.99 and that includes PSA Certified Monitoring, Lifetime Warranty and Maintenance.
    We offer a 36 month warranty on external video cameras only.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The questions to ask with this sort of setup:

- Do you own the equipment?
    - What happens after the 3 years are up?
    - After the 3 years, can you cancel the monitoring contract and monitor and maintain it yourself? Any costs for doing this?

BTW it looks like the door/window contacts are contacts only and aren't shock sensors.

I don't know much else about this company or any experience. Just general advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I have it in, for about a year now.

I got the full system that controls heating and hot water (it saved a fortune). Having the alarm also dropped the house insurance price by a nice chunk.

I'd consider the full pack if you are doing it.

I've found them good to deal with, customer service and tech support is great (in cork).

Very quick to call if something is wrong. Our fire alarm went off and in under 10 seconds they had me on a call.

Termostats are great money saver.

You can set the alarm, heating, hot water from anywhere in the country. Can also set timers.

It does work with Alexa but the commands are long. Alexa, ask alarm.com to turn up the heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

bk wrote: »
    The questions to ask with this sort of setup:

- Do you own the equipment?
    - What happens after the 3 years are up?
    - After the 3 years, can you cancel the monitoring contract and monitor and maintain it yourself? Any costs for doing this?

BTW it looks like the door/window contacts are contacts only and aren't shock sensors.

I don't know much else about this company or any experience. Just general advice.

Thanks for that. I wouldn’t have thought to ask about the end of the contract.

I have it in, for about a year now.

I got the full system that controls heating and hot water (it saved a fortune). Having the alarm also dropped the house insurance price by a nice chunk.

I'd consider the full pack if you are doing it.

I've found them good to deal with, customer service and tech support is great (in cork).

Very quick to call if something is wrong. Our fire alarm went off and in under 10 seconds they had me on a call.

Termostats are great money saver.

You can set the alarm, heating, hot water from anywhere in the country. Can also set timers.

It does work with Alexa but the commands are long. Alexa, ask alarm.com to turn up the heating.

I might have to look into that. Just need to see how the finances are! Thanks

I think mine was €250 to install. Then €29 a month. We didn't have an alarm so house insurance dropped by over 200 right away. And I've spent about €1000 less on oil. That is a combo of better insulation, the thermostats and a mild winter. But i'm pretty confident I'm up a nice few hundred die to this system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think mine was €250 to install. Then €29 a month. We didn't have an alarm so house insurance dropped by over 200 right away. And I've spent about €1000 less on oil. That is a combo of better insulation, the thermostats and a mild winter. But i'm pretty confident I'm up a nice few hundred die to this system.
    Sounds like you are overpaying for your house insurance, most companies all give 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

danois wrote: »
    Hi all. I am wondering if anyone has ever used the company smartzone.ie? I mailed them and asked for price and below is the quote I received.

I am not very knowledgable in this area so before going ahead I wanted to check Here first. Boardsies have always steered me in the right direction in past.

I’d love to know is this an ok deal and is the company a reliable one?

Supply and install
    1 x Smartzone Smart Home Hub
    1 x Alarm Keypad at Front Door
    2 x Door/Window Sensors Front and Back Door
    3 x PIR Motion Sensors – Front, Back and Upstairs Landing
    1 x External Dummy Bellbox
    €99 total

Add 5 additional sensors as required at €40 each, total €200

On Sale January only - Video Doorbell €20.20 (RRP €270)

Finally we charge a monthly fee on a 36 month contract of €29.99 and that includes PSA Certified Monitoring, Lifetime Warranty and Maintenance.
    We offer a 36 month warranty on external video cameras only.

Thanks

That's a total cost of 920 euro including the monitoring.Is the monitoring including the tenure access to the heating controls and door camera?

Ie, if you stop or lose the monitoring, does your system still provide the smart connectivity ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Then €29 a month.

So €348 a year for monitoring, not cheap.
    We didn't have an alarm so house insurance dropped by over 200 right away.

But read the small print carefully. The policy is null and void if the alarm is not armed in the event of a brea in. Also the certification (EN50131) only lasts a year. The alarm needs to serviced annually to keep the certification, (I'm not sure if this incurs an additional cost).

I always opt not to avail of this discount for this reason.

And I've spent about €1000 less on oil. That is a combo of better insulation, the thermostats and a mild winter.

This is a good result but can be achieved in many other ways without incurring an ongoing charge with devices from Nest, Hive, Sonoff and others.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are overpaying for your house insurance, most companies all give 5%

My thoughts exactly.

I had a look again and the alarm discount was only 12.5%. The rest was a loyalty and extra year no claims discount. Still 12.5% is a nice chunk. Combined with the heating savings system still pays for itself.

Never mentioned any of the other systems like Hive because the OP was asking specifically about smartzone and not general advice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I had a look again and the alarm discount was only 12.5%. The rest was a loyalty and extra year no claims discount. Still 12.5% is a nice chunk. Combined with the heating savings system still pays for itself.

With a bit of negotiation you can usually get the same discount, without actually having the alarm system on your insurance and thus non of the downsides and risks of listing it. That is what I did.
    Never mentioned any of the other systems like Hive because the OP was asking specifically about smartzone and not general advice.

Well the OP only asked about smartzone in terms of security systems, you are the one who expanded the conversation to include heating, etc. Only fair for others to point out that you can achieve the same results with other systems and without subscriptions for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The handy thing with smart zone is the range of sensors you can "plug in " to the home box... So timers for heating zones or rads , sensors for a bathroom leak ,camera for a room ..( I suppose you could go totaly paranoid) ,I assume loads of companies have similar ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

bk wrote: »
    With a bit of negotiation you can usually get the same discount, without actually having the alarm system on your insurance and thus non of the downsides and risks of listing it. That is what I did.

Well the OP only asked about smartzone in terms of security systems, you are the one who expanded the conversation to include heating, etc. Only fair for others to point out that you can achieve the same results with other systems and without subscriptions for it.

The T&Cs say if the house alarm isn't on and it gets broken into they double the excess. So it will cost €300. Tiny risk compared to leaving a house without a monitored burglar, fire and emergency alarm.

There is no subscription for the heating. The sub is just for the monitored alarm.

The T&Cs say if the house alarm isn't on and it gets broken into they double the excess. So it will cost €300. Tiny risk compared to leaving a house without a monitored burglar, fire and emergency alarm.

No one is saying not to have a monitored alarm! Just don't take the insurance discount for it.

I've a self monitored alarm, I just don't include it on my insurance. I also have monitored Nest smoke alarms, smart thermostat and also 8 IP cameras.
    There is no subscription for the heating. The sub is just for the monitored alarm.

Well the Smart Zone website says the heating requires a sub:
    *Smartzone Smart Heating Controls are subject to a monthly fee. Fee is €10 per month.

https://smartzone.ie/heating-controls-special-offer

Now you might not be paying this as it is probably bundled in the alarm monitoring cost. But what happens if you choose to stop paying that at a later date? You now need to pay €10 a month to keep your heating working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I dont understand why you would pay so much for Smart zone when you can buy the components yourself.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I dont understand why you would pay so much for Smart zone when you can buy the components yourself.....

Because It's a better solution for me.

I already have tons of smart components in the house and I find it a pain to have a bunch of different bits connecting to different apps over wi-fi. When it all works it's great but very regularly something will go wrong and the missus has no idea how to fix it if I'm not there. And i've to piss about resetting them and digging through 4 or 5 different apps and accounts. Woox, smart home, smart life, hue, harmony, govee, xiaomi home, yi home, ifttt.......

This system is all in one. 3 Motion sensors, 2 door sensors, glass sensor, 2 smart plugs, two thermostats for heating, and one for hot water and not connected to my wifi so it frees that up.

But mainly it has one very simple app to control it all. Alarm, heating, hot water, lights etc.

Looking at nest on screwfix a thermostat is around €200, the nest Alarm €360. Add in 2 smart plugs and you are in and around €600 and i still havent factored in installation you would be doing well to get it all installed for under €200, and that's without any monitoring.

I'm sure other products can be got cheaper. But Smart zone was €250 for everything including installation. With 3 years monitoring is €1329. I saved over €1000 in the first year so it's paying for itself and I'm supporting an Irish company employing people in Ireland.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I can see your point to some extent. However I would much prefer an alarm by Siemens (with free self monitoring) or HKC (with self monitoring at around €5 per month). Both of these systems provide superior security thanks to inertia shock sensors. The lack of these on the system you are using I see as a considerable disadvantage. Why? Because someone could literally throw a brick through your window and not set the alarm off! I always insist on an alarm that activates before someone enters a home in all instances.

I would recommend complementing this with something like Nest for heating control. All of these systems are extremely reliable, have an excellent track record and will cost less “to run” in terms of monthly charges although the upfront capital cost is more. Monitoring via a central station is also available for far less than what you are paying.

Anyway I don’t want to get into a protracted argument about it, each to their own.

https://simplisafe.co.uk/

This might be an option. I think they will look after IReland, I done a lot of research recently and these are very good but I didnt want a monthly cost

Looking at nest on screwfix a thermostat is around €200, the nest Alarm €360. Add in 2 smart plugs and you are in and around €600 and i still havent factored in installation you would be doing well to get it all installed for under €200, and that's without any monitoring.

I'm sure other products can be got cheaper. But Smart zone was €250 for everything including installation. With 3 years monitoring is €1329. I saved over €1000 in the first year so it's paying for itself and I'm supporting an Irish company employing people in Ireland.

My setup cost:
    - Netatmo Thermostat €100 (and that included a free Echo dot)
    - Yale Smart Alarm €200 (and includes free self monitoring)
    - Smart Plugs €10 each, so €20 for 2.

So total cost about €320 or so and no ongoing fees. That is a saving of €1000 over your setup, with much the same functionality. Or to put it another way you could have saved yourself €2000.

And BTW Smart Zone don't make any of this, it is made by Alarm.com in the US (probably manufactured in China), Smart Zone are just reselling and installing.

HKC and GSD alarm systems are actually manufactured here if you want to support Irish companies.

Don't get me wrong, if your happy with it, that is cool. I do think there is plenty room in the market for setups like this. Not everyone is technically minded and wants to setup and look after their own smart tech, plenty of people will be happy to pay someone like Smart Zone to come in and do it for them and look after it for them.

And I have to say their system looks like a really nice and well integrated example of an all in one managed solution.

It also shows that the likes of HKC need to step up their game IMO. While a better alarm system, it definitely is lacking in modern integrated smart home tech and I don't think that serves the needs of independent installers very well. I think HKC/Yale/Assa Abloy need to step up with new, modern, systems here.

Also I'm surprised Honeywell (Phonewatch) haven't brought together their alarm system, thermostats and smoke alarms together to offer a similar option to alarm.com. They have all the parts, they just need to pull it together.

It is certainly an interesting space to watch develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

2011 wrote: »
    I can see your point to some extent. However I would much prefer an alarm by Siemens (with free self monitoring) or HKC (with self monitoring at around €5 per month). Both of these systems provide superior security thanks to inertia shock sensors. The lack of these on the system you are using I see as a considerable disadvantage. Why? Because someone could literally throw a brick through your window and not set the alarm off! I always insist on an alarm that activates before someone enters a home in all instances.

I would recommend complementing this with something like Nest for heating control. All of these systems are extremely reliable, have an excellent track record and will cost less “to run” in terms of monthly charges although the upfront capital cost is more. Monitoring via a central station is also available for far less than what you are paying.

Anyway I don’t want to get into a protracted argument about it, each to their own.

Do the Yale/Nest/ring not come with windows contacts? Or is my interpretation of window contact vs inertia sensor different?

All the alarms come with motion detectors so you can combat against this

Also not sure how many people are going to fire a brick in a window as it would create too much noise, especially if you are in a built up area.

I have HKC and I like it but it’s not moved with the times and the Wi-Fi sensors are extremely expensive

• Advertisement

Do the Yale/Nest/ring not come with windows contacts? Or is my interpretation of window contact vs inertia sensor different?

The HKC will go off if the window is broken. Most of the system will just detect if the windows/door is open

So a burglar could break glass and get in window without setting off alarm

To combat this with the Yale/ring system you can put in motion detectors and of course the cameras which are far better deterant

The flashing red light with Yale and Philip is the best option I have seen, if you are in an estate then it will warm the whole place

The HKC will go off if the window is broken. Most of the system will just detect if the windows/door is open

So a burglar could break glass and get in window without setting off alarm

To combat this with the Yale/ring system you can put in motion detectors and of course the cameras which are far better deterant

The flashing red light with Yale and Philip is the best option I have seen, if you are in an estate then it will warm the whole place

That makes sense re the motion detectors, didn’t think that.

By flashing red light do you mean linking it to hue and having all the lights flash red?

Smartzone includes a glass break sensor. I have it near the patio doors.

That makes sense re the motion detectors, didn’t think that.

By flashing red light do you mean linking it to hue and having all the lights flash red?

Yes

I would love to go this route but I’m only starting g out with the home automation stuff and not at all tech savvy. I was thinking this route would be easier as it’s done for me. I wouldn’t have a notion what to buy!

Yes, contacts detect whether a window or door is open or closed. They do not detect vibrations or glass being smashed, inertia shock sensors do this.
    All the alarms come with motion detectors so you can combat against this

That is not correct.
    Motion detectors do not provide perimeter protection, they only activate when an intruder is already in the house. Furthermore when the system is set to part guard motion detectors have to be disarmed to allow occupants free movement within the home leaving inferior systems in a vulnerable state.

The best type of alarm systems provide comprehensive perimeter protection with the use of inertia shock sensors (in addition to other features of course). These systems are backed up with motion detectors rather than having the motion detectors as the primary or only layer of protection. That way intruders will activate the alarm before they gain entry rather than when they are already inside.

Yes, contacts detect whether a window or door is open or closed. They do not detect vibrations or glass being smashed, inertia shock sensors do this.

That is not correct.
    Motion detectors do not provide perimeter protection, they only activate when an intruder is already in the house. Furthermore when the system is set to part guard motion detectors have to be disarmed to allow occupants free movement within the home.

The best type of alarm systems provide comprehensive perimeter protection (in addition to other features of course) that is backed up with motion detectors. That way intruders will activate the alarm before they gain entry rather than when they are already inside.

Ye it’s a fair point, I’d rather the alarm went off before someone was already in my house, strange that none of the smart alarms come with inertia sensors?!

Ye it’s a fair point, I’d rather the alarm went off before someone was already in my house, strange that none of the smart alarms come with inertia sensors?!

Some come with glass break sensors

That is not correct.
    Motion detectors do not provide perimeter protection, they only activate when an intruder is already in the house. Furthermore when the system is set to part guard motion detectors have to be disarmed to allow occupants free movement within the home leaving inferior systems in a vulnerable state.

The best type of alarm systems provide comprehensive perimeter protection with the use of inertia shock sensors (in addition to other features of course). These systems are backed up with motion detectors rather than having the motion detectors as the primary or only layer of protection. That way intruders will activate the alarm before they gain entry rather than when they are already inside.

It depends on your system.....I am going to combine with motion exterior lights etc. If a burglar breaks a window they have no concerns about noise so they won’t give a cr*p if your alarm is going off.....

Yes I see the advantage, but I don’t think it’s as big as people make out....

• Advertisement

[

Some smart alarms do come with this feature. A good example of this is the Comfort Cytech. Not just that but this system is far “smarter” than most. See link:

http://www.cytech.biz/?gclid=CjwKCAiApOvwBRBUEiwAcZGdGFGeRiP2RVF3Pe5JniWK78bYeU3qfmL3B_gHOm-A_zkkdZyJjzuLJRoCPVIQAvD_BwE
    It depends on your system.....

Yes, that is my point.
    I am going to combine with motion exterior lights etc.

This helps. I do the same, but this is a different type of protection.
    If a burglar breaks a window they have no concerns about noise so they won’t give a cr*p if your alarm is going off.....

Yes, but you have the opportunity to react when notified by the system. Also inertia shock sensors will detect more than a window being smashed (with gross attack setting) They will also detect the vibrations generated by a pane of glass being carefully removed (with pulse count setting).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement