Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

On New Year’s Day 2015 we went to my grandparents house for dinner as we do every year. The difference this time being we brought Andy with us for the first time in 15 years because we felt he wasn’t well enough to leave for a long period. It went really well and we thought this is the future, then we lost him 2 weeks later.

Fast forward 5 years and this year we had our new dog with us on NYD this year. Just one of those moments that hit me in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

So so sorry TK :( thinking of you and bailey at this difficult time x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Today has not been great. I woke up thinking I could hear her calling me :(, then nipped out with my mam - Bailey seemed to be looking for her when we got back :(. Then took him the vets again for his laser and all came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

tk123 wrote: »
    I can’t believe I’m posting this :(:(

My beautiful Lucy is gone. She had been diagnosed with kidney disease in July defying the rules of what symptoms she should have and still loving life until yesterday. She left us peacefully about an hour ago - vet was fantastic and her brother was with her like he was for all of her appointments to calm and relax her.

I chose not to post about the diagnosis and only told a few friends as I just found it too hard to talk about - I had been warned from day one that she could suddenly get very sick so it’s been an emotional and stressful 5 months.

Thank you to Knine and DBB for your support throughout

TK, I'm so very, very sorry. I can only imagine how difficult the last couple of months have been. Keep Bailey close and look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

So sorry about the loss of your precious Lucy, TK123, but keep in mind that she stopped suffering now, and that she thanks you for all you did for her when she needed it the most. You were with her, for her, and for this she'll be grateful forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

My beloved Puss went to Rainbow Bridge today.

I don't know how old she was. She came to us fully grown 14 years ago, crying at the window for food. At first, I thought she was one of the village cats and didn't pay to much attention. A couple of days later I saw her shaking on the ditch outside and knew she needed help. I fed her and she became my loyal companion. She was pregnant, we kept the kittens and spayed/neutered everyone.

Puss was a marvelous, gentle, intuitive cat. I suffer from depression and on the days I didn't want to get up she would lick and poke me and practically drag me out of bed. I saved her and I am sure she saved me right back.

Before Christmas she was diagnosed with early stage kidney disease, which unfortunately progressed very rapidly. When I took her to the vet today she had lost over half her body weight and had stopped eating. I had done everything in my power to keep her going, but it was not enough. I did the hardest and kindest thing.

Puss was the cat who made me a cat person. She is sadly missed. I am heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

So sorry for your loss sunbeam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sorry for your loss sunbeam. What a wonderful life you had together.

Sorry for the loss of your kind and gentle Puss, Sunbeam...
    Cats are magic, you met her because there was a reason, one of you needed the other one, and vice versa.
    Puss says thank you from up there.
    RIP Puss, you were loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Lucky. He was so so gentle. I have never seen a cat appreciate and persue cuddles and affection as much as he did. He was a star. See ya later boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

auspicious wrote: »
    Lucky. He was so so gentle. I have never seen a cat appreciate and persue cuddles and affection as much as he did. He was a star. See ya later boy.

Really sorry to hear that. What age was he?

The Nal wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that. What age was he?

Thanks The Nal.
    Lucky was about two when we took him in four years ago.
    He was actually tested for FeLV a couple of years ago the vet. said checking his history and was negative.
    Over the past six months he had pulled most of his fur out of his back where he could reach. Vet. said it was an autoimmune disease where his body just told him he was itchy. We applied hydrocortisone rubs to no avail. He was regularly at the vets.
    He was a real lap cat and if he couldn't get on the lap he'd lie against you with as much contact as possible. It was like he was just so grateful to be cared for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

This is a bit of an odd one for a pet who departed over 30 years ago.

https://twitter.com/corkbeo/status/1215245584896069633?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

auspicious wrote: »
    He was a real lap cat and if he couldn't get on the lap he'd lie against you with as much contact as possible. It was like he was just so grateful to be cared for.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, I know what you're going through.

We once had a male cat just like that. We got him from a rescue, and he chose us, or rather me, by walking out of his cage straight onto my lap and cuddling up to me. Apparently he, like all the other cats there, just hissed and clawed at most people who went up to pet him, but he obviously made his choice. He was very indifferent towards my wife all the time we had him, and spent most of the time on my lap or cuddled up to me, including on the bed at might where he slept between us :) I miss him.

We had a cat, Buddy, about six years ago, white with black and ginger patches. He was chilling out in the back lane when a greyhound pulled away from it's owner and attacked him. Buddy was in the vets. for almost a week and we kept him in a few days more at home.
    When he got out again he must have been still traumatised as he disappeared. He was always a very very nervous rescue cat.
    A neighbour about a week later spotted a dead cat of the same description, hit by a car presumably on a road about a half mile away. We retrieved the body and buried it.
    Two days later in the dusk of evening I caught a flash of white in the hedge at the bottom of the garden. It was Buddy!!! We buried the wrong cat! We coaxed him in to the house and celebrated him that evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭sdp

sorry for long post.

It's with a breaking heart, that I post this, and taking me since New Years Day to write.
    My wonderful loyal Toby went for his last sleep New Years Day. He had a stroke some months ago, and it affected the right side of his brain, lost his sight in one eye as well. But he kept in high spirits, and continued his walks, and rounding up the hen for bed, and alerting me to anyone arriving to the house.

He was finding it hard to use his steps to get up to bed, so I made him a ramp, he was so trusting and walked up it the first time I showed him how.
    In the 13 years we had together, we only spent five days apart, when I was in the hospital.

He went everywhere with me, to work, shopping, visits, holidays. He was such a clever funny boy, so protective of me, his house, and his van.

But the last four weeks he went downhill so fast, in vets for injections and on a lot of meds, he still tried to do everything he could, but his balance started to go, and was losing sight in other eye, I tried to make him stay in when I was doing things around the yard, but he just wanted to do keep doing what he always done, so we did, I carried him when we went outside.

On Sunday 29th he had another stroke, so rushed him to Vets, I thought that was it. But he pulled out of it. Slept most of the 30th, But on Tuesday the 31st he had a great day, had a run with his Ball, rolled in the grass, had his treat from the local shopkeeper. And up on the bed.

New Years day, I got up and lifted him down to his own bed, left him for a while, went in to give him his meds, and lay down on the floor and called him to me, he looked at me and half dragged himself to me, and lay on my arm.
    I believe he was asking me to let him go, I know if I had asked him, he would have got up and struggled for me. As we lay there together, I had to make the hard decision. I rang my wonderful vet, and she came to us, we did not move from the same spot, he slipped away peaceful gazing into my eyes, and knowing he was loved.

My wonderful little man, You’ll never know how much you’ll be missed, how empty the house and van is, how much a part of my life you were. How you made everyday a joy and a challenge, how I’m still telling you what we would be doing next, and wishing I was stroking you as we lay in bed reading.

Run like the wind now Tobs, My days and nights will never be the same again

[IMG][/img]NFzJyHnm.jpg?2
    [IMG][/img]xm3yd9um.jpg
    [IMG][/img]6ykYJsim.jpg
    [IMG][/img]gkM9PTIl.jpg
    [IMG][/img]yiagL5Fm.jpg
    [IMG][/img]a0VmVsCm.jpg
    [IMG][/img]PJNLZZ9m.jpg
    [IMG][/img]fRsZU7Gm.jpg
    [IMG][/img]HVoBTTTm.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sdp oh my goodness, my heart, I am so so immeasurably sorry, Toby landed very well with you, the love just pours from that post.. Well done for being a wonderful dogmother to him. Rest well Toby..

RIP Toby. 13 years though - you were so lucky to have him that long! :(

I cried during a meeting yesterday - it was 2 weeks since Lucy was gone. Luckily it was online and I wasn't using my webcam so just muted my headset :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That's so sad tk, I'm really sorry to hear that. This is always a very sad thread, but at the same time it's important for it to be there.

Mind yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Oh sdp, what a wonderful tribute to your beautiful, loyal, little Toby.

I know the pain of your loss only too well. For me, mornings were the worst, that moment when you wake up happily and then realise he’s not there to greet you with that abundance of unconditional love.

I hope you can find some comfort in the coming weeks and months in looking back at treasured moments with Toby. The photographs you posted are a testament to a shared bond and a wonderful life together.

RIP, to a super cute terrier called Toby.

• Advertisement

Thank you all so much, tears reading your replys'
    @ Gremlinertia, thank you, I was the only only Mammy he knew,found him and his sister in a bag by bins, only a couple of day old,, his sister did not make it, as much as the vets tried. thank you..

@ tk123, your right I was so lucky, it was heartbreaking to read about your lovely lucy. I find it hard to tell people he's gone without crying, as everyone knew him, So glad you have Baily,as I find the emptiness at home so hard.
    Take care of your self and Baily , as I'm sure he's missing her to.

thank you volchitsa, as much as I hate when I see a new post here,as you said this thread is badly needed.

Thank you Fakediamond, you espressed so well what the we all feel, thank you and lookafter yourself,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh sdp I am just heartbroken for you. Your post had me in tears so I actually had to leave it a while to write this! You can just tell how strong your bond was and how your lives were intertwined. Toby was so incredibly lucky to have you.
    I actually just showed my husband your post. I did so because he was giving out about our dog, Milo, getting up at 4am for a wee. I said to stop complaining, that sdp would give anything to be getting up to let Toby out at 4am this morning.
    Mind yourself and take the time to grieve. It's a huge loss. Sleep tight Toby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Couldn't post here until now. Made the mistake of opening SDP's post about Toby at 9am at my desk yesterday morning. I was literally in tears and couldn't stop. Such a heart rending tribute to a beautiful loving little friend. Hope you are doing ok. As ok as you can be.

thank you Jellybear,and Anewme,

Its so comfering having all the people on this thread who understand, I've had people saying to how nice it must be to have an extra hour in bed, and not to have to do the early beach walk, before we went to work.
    still listening out for him,around the house.
    thank you all again so much x

sdp wrote: »
    thank you Jellybear,and Anewme,

Its so comfering having all the people on this thread who understand, I've had people saying to how nice it must be to have an extra hour in bed, and not to have to do the early beach walk, before we went to work.
    still listening out for him,around the house.
    thank you all again so much x
    :(
    Ugggh I’ve had similar. Why would I get another retriever as they’re so unhealthy and crosses are healthier. Like we don’t know what happened with Lucy’s kidneys or what damaged them?! I’m not in any rush and most importantly using the death of my dog less than 2 weeks after she died to push an agenda just isn’t on. The person doesn’t even have a dog like or live in my house to understand our requirements.

(And yes it’ll be another retriever from Lucy’s dad’s lines when the time is right!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

sdp wrote: »

I've had people saying to how nice it must be to have an extra hour in bed, and not to have to do the early beach walk, before we went to work.

Well, youd feel more sorry for them as they've not had the joy of your early beach walks.

This came earlier! I knew they had them (as my friend asked) but really floored me :(

499896.png

I would have laughed me hole off at this thread a little over a year ago.
    I got my first dog, under protest as the wife and niece wanted one.
    From the first few days he's been glued to me almost like he was intent
    in changing my mind. I literally cannot, nor will I, even think of life without him.
    I think it's their eyes and how they look into you, sad for any of yiz losing a pet really, I'd take it worse than losing some folks I know!

Oh Tk, It's all the small things that bring it right back.

Opened post Monday, there was a lovely sympathy card with forget me not flower seeds inside, from my wonderful vets.

It just opened the flood gates again, did not think I had so many tears in me .
    Take care now x

• Advertisement

@sdp, it seems you and Toby had a life full of experiences and great time together.
    The memories of what you did will keep you company for years to come and it'll be like Toby has never gone too far from you. In fact he's still there, walking by your side, watching you and protecting you, only from a different dimension.
    Such strong bonds can't be broken, not even by death.
    RIP Toby, run free where the sun always shines.

Advertisement