Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coach Experience Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Cant figure out if

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1210316116041568261
    belongs on this thread

What do y'all think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

0lddog wrote: »
    Cant figure out if

belongs on this thread

What do y'all think ?

Wonder what went wrong there???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

0lddog wrote: »
    Cant figure out if

belongs on this thread

What do y'all think ?

Very odd looking scene. Hope everyone is OK.

Looks like he pulled out spinning the 2 cars, had a better look. I would also say 30km/h speed limit wasn't been adhered to...

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Yesterday.

A lovely run from Dublin Airport on JJ Kav, safe and pleasant driver, a reasonable vehicle a 2018 Merc, (personally I would preferred their 09 Setra parked in front !!!).

Red Cow, Dublin Coach 04 Setra broken down with the tailgate open and the off side grille up (crazily unsafe) and a mechanic jumping around like a frog nearly getting himself knocked down. Blue Aircoach paint visible inside the grille.

The Quay Waterford, 2 hours later, same MO again, another 04 Setra !!! And a driver/mechanic pouring something from a plastic lemonade type bottle into the engine.

Just another day on DC I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The key to delivering a service is consistency!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I am currently on a DC from Waterford to KK. To say it is the greatest ball of shyte would be an understatement. You would need earphones with the constant very loud droning noise. There is a drummer in the luggage hold. Thump..thump thump just like a bass drummer keeping beat. You can feel the thump through the floor up into the seat.
    The driver is on the phone since we left Waterford 15 mins ago,.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

snip

Hands free? Bluetooth, which if is so, would mean everyone on the bus can hear the conversation?

Hands free? Bluetooth, which if is so, would mean everyone on the bus can hear the conversation?

Not with an ear piece which would be fully legal.

I am currently on a DC from Waterford to KK. To say it is the greatest ball of shyte would be an understatement. You would need earphones with the constant very loud droning noise. There is a drummer in the luggage hold. Thump..thump thump just like a bass drummer keeping beat. You can feel the thump through the floor up into the seat.

I'd be putting in a very strong complaint and I'd also be contacting the carriage office about the safety non standards of the vehicle.

• Advertisement

Hows your Polosh /Lithuanian? :)
    He was on a wired earpiece, which is also illegal

I'd be putting in a very strong complaint and I'd also be contacting the carriage office about the safety non standards of the vehicle.

Are you new here ? :):)

Do you seriously think that DC give a twopenny fuk about safety standards ?

Are you new here ? :):)

Do you seriously think that DC give a twopenny fuk about safety standards ?

Not new but if it's like that it could be a serious safety issue.

I wouldn't drive it and others shouldn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Caquas

I was left stranded in the lashing rain at the Red Cow Roundabout at midnight just before Christmas. Luckily there was a taxi so I got out in one piece, but at a price.

When I complained, I got a total runaround. Now let’s see if the regulator has any teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anyone familiar with the Kilkenny service would have seen an 04 setra broken down in the middle of the junction after the ormonde road stop. Not a single driver or mechanic to be seen anywhere.

What was beautifully ironic was that the driver obviously tried to put the hazards on but only the right tail light indicator was working so in theory it looked like the bus was indicating to pull back out which is all the more confusing.

Had to drive back into town later (around four hours after) and the bus was still there.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with the Kilkenny service would have seen an 04 setra broken down in the middle of the junction after the ormonde road stop. Not a single driver or mechanic to be seen anywhere.

What was beautifully ironic was that the driver obviously tried to put the hazards on but only the right tail light indicator was working so in theory it looked like the bus was indicating to pull back out which is all the more confusing.

Had to drive back into town later (around four hours after) and the bus was still there.

I also notice that they have changed their route into the city. They come down the Waterford rd,through the lidl roundabout, left onto upper new street and turn right onto ormond rd. Upper New St is totally unsuitable for large vehicles. There is also a primary school there. Bonkers.

Not new but if it's like that it could be a serious safety issue.

I wouldn't drive it and others shouldn't either.

I most certainly wouldn't drive it. There is a safety issue,the thump could be both heard and felt by everyone on the bus(not fit to be called a coach).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I most certainly wouldn't drive it. There is a safety issue,the thump could be both heard and felt by everyone on the bus(not fit to be called a coach).

You are obviously aware of the issues with this company and still use them though.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You are obviously aware of the issues with this company and still use them though.

In defense of the OP, not sure how he/she was to know a ‘driver’ was going to spend 15 minutes on his/her cellphone prior to leaving Waterford? Or to be aware of the noise issues?

I was stuck for an unexpected trip from WD to KK. If I travel I almost always drive or if not its JJ Kavanagh

• Advertisement

I was stuck for an unexpected trip from WD to KK. If I travel I almost always drive or if not its JJ Kavanagh

Just hope You get to Your destination safely Od! BTW, how long before the 'driver/receptionist' finished their phone chat?

Just hope You get to Your destination safely Od! BTW, how long before the 'driver/receptionist' finished their phone chat?

The exit for Mullinavat ;)

Home safely thanks. I dont usually have a problem with a driver taking a call,but this wasnt a work call or a family emergency (as far as I could tell), it sounded like a few mates having the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It is disgraceful that this standard is allowed to pass for public transport but as long as people keep using it there is no incentive for them to change and worse still there is pressure on other operators to cut corners to compete. BE withdrew from Dublin-Kilkenny if they squeeze JJK out you will be left with even less options.

Sadly there is no oversight of commercial services in Ireland. Once an operator has got their foot in the door the NTA just rubber stamp the licences renewals and allow the companies to operate however they please, no maintenance standards, no accessibility requirements, no bus stop marking, timetable or fare publishing requirements, no complaints procedure or independent regulator to ensure they are acting correctly. FFS they won't even tell the public the details or terms of the licences they grant so you can't even tell if the operators are even working within their licences properly. Meanwhile the NTA fret over minutiae such as how much yellow paint is on the front of PSO route buses and changing bus stop heads so GAI run services do not have to use DB branded bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hows your Polosh /Lithuanian? :)
    He was on a wired earpiece, which is also illegal
    The earpiece is legal. If he touches or holds the phone while driving, that is illegal. Report him to the Garda TrafficWatch phone line.

One of the coaches blocked up the Gort Mhuire roundabout in Ballinteer nicely this evening, pushing into the yellow box and blocking all traffic from moving on the roundabout.

It is disgraceful that this standard is allowed to pass for public transport but as long as people keep using it there is no incentive for them to change and worse still there is pressure on other operators to cut corners to compete. BE withdrew from Dublin-Kilkenny if they squeeze JJK out you will be left with even less options.

Sadly there is no oversight of commercial services in Ireland. Once an operator has got their foot in the door the NTA just rubber stamp the licences renewals and allow the companies to operate however they please, no maintenance standards, no accessibility requirements, no bus stop marking, timetable or fare publishing requirements, no complaints procedure or independent regulator to ensure they are acting correctly. FFS they won't even tell the public the details or terms of the licences they grant so you can't even tell if the operators are even working within their licences properly. Meanwhile the NTA fret over minutiae such as how much yellow paint is on the front of PSO route buses and changing bus stop heads so GAI run services do not have to use DB branded bus stops.

You should go down to Kilkenny and have a look at the clusterfuk of a city service that the NTA signed off on. Bus stops painted on some of the narrowest city streets in the country. They just stop in the middle of the road and motorists behind them and in some cases meeting them must wait for passengers to board and alight. I know where I'd like to stick the NTA's man rubber stamp :eek:

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You should go down to Kilkenny and have a look at the clusterfuk of a city service that the NTA signed off on. Bus stops painted on some of the narrowest city streets in the country. They just stop in the middle of the road and motorists behind them and in some cases meeting them must wait for passengers to board and alight. I know where I'd like to stick the NTA's man rubber stamp :eek:

At least they're running decent busses. If you're looking for a clusterfuçk of horse manure, check out the 'Tralee People's Bus Service'! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭belfast stephen

New Double decker coaches should start to arrive with the first 4 at the end of February

New Double decker coaches should start to arrive with the first 4 at the end of February

Cant wait ;)

All well and good getting new buses, but there’s still the issue of drivers spending 15 minutes on their phones - wonder will anything be done on this issue?

• Advertisement

All well and good getting new buses, but there’s still the issue of drivers spending 15 minutes on their phones - wonder will anything be done on this issue?

Nothing illegal about it if hands free....

Bus eireann for example need phones as they have no other way of contacting control or to get them ...

Advertisement