Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Image LTE - Use Own Router

Options
  • 11-01-2020 4:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

A challenge to anyone in the know or techie.

Imagine LTE router died, Imagine insist on sending out their engineer with a new box to get things going again. The wait is 5 working days give or take the luck of the draw.

Have my hands on an alternative router (same capabilities) and want to get some Internet going to see me through until engineer shows.

Do you think this is possible and can you suggest settings for setup.

At the point in Router setup that is requesting IP choice (dynamic, static etc). Imagine information I have is:

Web IP
    SSIDs
    WPA2-Personal
    LAN MAC
    SIN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

It's MAC address based on their side, a new router won't work as it needs to be provisioned. You will have to wait I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 robbenny

advertsfox wrote: »
    It's MAC address based on their side, a new router won't work as it needs to be provisioned. You will have to wait I'm afraid.

Thanks for replying. While Imagine do a good job for Rural BB, 2 years unbroken service so far, after being through Eir-wars for a spit of interweb bandwidth, shame the connection is so human labour intense, thought Imagine would just get a new box out to me and crack on. Or plug in a generic of the shelf and setup. Thanks again for giving a bit of input. saves me trying to get one setup meself losing hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Ots a pity they wont allow you to use any router od your choosing.
    But from what I understand, the router they use makes some contact with the mast, and the settings are actually applied at the Infrastructure on that mast, so you cannot make any changes, ie , port forwarding etc is all done upstream of your router..

Ots a pity they wont allow you to use any router od your choosing.
    But from what I understand, the router they use makes some contact with the mast, and the settings are actually applied at the Infrastructure on that mast, so you cannot make any changes, ie , port forwarding etc is all done upstream of your router..
    cheers for confirming, shame they do it that way. Does not seem like a scale-able Broadband solution the more I think of it. Lets see when the engineers show up this week, sooner the better.

As an update, Imagine are struggling to have enough technicians for call outs and I am still without internet. Imagine are going to make the call out on working day 8/9 (depending on when you count from, that will be 12 days without internet).

• Advertisement

Technicians called out on the 12th day (7/8th business day) and installed a new router indoors and a new receiver on the roof. Seems to be new system all round. New download peeks at 110 MBps previously would have peek at 70MBps (commonly 25-35MBps). New system seems good. Old system did last 2.5 years before router died. Long run Imagine is good service but the 12 days without internet were a pain (had to get access to alternative internet to deliver tasks, and whole families mobile data took a hammering).

Advertisement