Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Coast, Baldoyle

Options
  • 05-01-2020 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello there,

I've bumped into this new development in Baldoyle/Clongriffin and was wondering what could be the average price for a 3 bed house?

search.savills.com/ie/en/property-detail/gbnewhdun190646 (Sorry, I can't add proper links as I'm a new user.)

A friend of mine bought a new build house in Parkside (next to Father Collins park) for around 340k back in 2018.

The very last phase of the new Belltree development was advertised for 390k but the average price for this area seems to be lower (330-360k):

propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/PPR-By-Date&Start=1&Query=%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3E=01/01/2019%20AND%20%5Bdt_execution_date%5D%3C01/01/2020%20AND%20%5Baddress%5D=*belltree%20clongriffin*%20AND%20%5Bdc_county%5D=Dublin&County=Dublin&Year=2019&StartMonth=01&EndMonth=12&Address=belltree%20clongriffin

Any hope of getting a new build in this area for less than 380k?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Are you taking into account VAT on new builds. Price register generally shows the ex VAT price paid.

People often confuse this with new builds not achieving asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Oliver Fisher

Thanks, I didn't know this!

So as an example, if one of the (new) houses listed on the registry was sold for 335k, it means the owners actually paid 380k?

That would mean that any new build in the area would easily be around 400k I suppose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

if one of the (new) houses listed on the registry was sold for 335k, it means the owners actually paid 380k?

yup

13.5% VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Im also interested in that the price for a 3 bed will be in this development. I dont want to ring them if its way out of my price range though

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Also interested and have emailed estate agent but no word back yet. Does anyone have any experience of what the area is like, eg quiet, safe, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I bought a house with family on Myrtle Square about 10 years ago. My brothers still live there, though I've never lived there myself. They say its a nice enough area, Fr Collins Park is very close by, which is lovely, and the Dart to Pearse only takes 25 minutes, which is a huge plus. To be on less than half an hours commute on the south side you'd have to pay twice as much for a house or live in a much worse area than Baldoyle.

My brothers walk around the area at night time with their dog, and it's generally safe enough, though Donaghmede is quite close by which isn't a great area. They've never had the house or car broken into, but have had a couple of bikes stolen from the underground car park over the years.

For a while there it seemed like a bad choice of location as there were a couple of unfinished estates when the crash came, which made the place a little unsightly, and a lot of the "promised amenities", like shops and creches looked like they were never going to materialize. Plus the maintenance of the estate went downhill when a lot of residents stopped paying their maintenance fees during the worst of the recession. However the unfinished estates are either finished or nearly there now, shops are opening and there's a lot less default on maintenance now. The present drawback is that there's a lot of building going on out there, and will be for some time to come, so the dust and building trucks and noise will be an issue for a while. And amenities haven't quite caught up with the number of residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

JDD wrote: »
    though Donaghmede is quite close by which isn't a great area.

Nonsense. It's a lot better than a bunch of flats in Baldoyle, bordered by train tracks on one side and an industrial estate on the other side. I heard parking spaces are in short supply in those flats too.

Whats wrong with Donaghmede haha . Notions

The deprivation index never lies. The Coast is marked light blue, as affluent, under a number of categories including income, employment, average levels of education, number of single parents etc. Donaghmede is marked as either marginally below average or disadvantaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

JDD wrote: »
    The deprivation index never lies. The Coast is marked light blue, as affluent, under a number of categories including income, employment, average levels of education, number of single parents etc. Donaghmede is marked as either marginally below average or disadvantaged.

The coast is hardly affluent. It's a badly planned celtic tiger development with pyrite and chronic parking issues. Get over yourself.. Affluent me hole :D

• Advertisement

Comparing a 1970 suburb to somewhere that is less than 10 years old which is only being completed now is ridiculous.

With the sheer amount of development between The coast and Clongriffin I'd pick Donaghmede any day. Sure parts of Donaghmede had their problems in the 80s and 90s as the original families kids became teenagers you've yet to even go through that period but with multiples times the density Dongahmede had.

Go on the deprivation index. The results are from the 2016 census. No holding on to 1980's prejudices here.

You're right, the apartments in the Coast had pyrite issues, which have apparently now all been fixed. Not that I would completely trust that, which is why if the OP was looking to buy a second hand apartment I would have warned them off. But they're buying a new house, which will be A-rated, built by different builders, and will be built after much much more stringent building regulations have been put in place. In as much as you can trust a new build anywhere, I guess you can trust a new build here.

I'm not sure what the chronic parking issues are. My brothers have one underground car parking space, and one outside their house.

Badly laid out? Maybe. As I said, I never lived there, so I can't voice an opinion on that. I'm sure the OP will walk around the area a few times before they even think about buying.

And you're right, you never know what the place will be like in 15 years when all the young families grow up. It's a definite consideration. On the other hand, having moved into a new estate myself recently (not in Baldoyle) I think there's something nice with having lots of neighbours that have families around the same age. It's hard to predict what somewhere will be like in the future.

Anyone hear anymore about this development ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Anyone hear anymore about this development ?

Yes it's about 14 years old at this stage. I move there in 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 FudgeIt

I'd be interested as well, I'm looking at moving into an apartment in the new blocks (Alder House) that were built a couple of years ago with access off the coast road. Anyone have any recent information of the area?

Has anyone heard any more about the first release of the Coast development?

sparkle109 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any more about the first release of the Coast development?

It happened 13 years ago.

If you're referring to the further expansion of the site, I walk past it every morning, work is starting but they haven't built anything yet. It's all currently prep work!

The number of works, and equipment has really been ramped up recently

Thank you! I am assuming it is the further expansion then, as it is listed on Daft and Richmond Homes as the Coast development, opening summer 2020.

Can I ask how you find the area? Is it generally quiet?

sparkle109 wrote: »
    Thank you! I am assuming it is the further expansion then, as it is listed on Daft and Richmond Homes as the Coast development, opening summer 2020.

Can I ask how you find the area? Is it generally quiet?

It's quiet for the most part, it has gotten noticeably busier since Silverbanks was built in 2017. I doubt it's going to be quiet once all the new properties are built. There's 500+ new properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jalikhata

Is anybody else planning to buy house here? It sounds they will be released soon.

• Advertisement

jalikhata wrote: »
    Is anybody else planning to buy house here? It sounds they will be released soon.

I would love to buy an apartment, sounds like they will be in future phases tbh.

Advertisement