Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved dentist and regret it

Options
  • 08-01-2020 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Hi I've never been great for going to the dentist but when I lived at home I had a great dentist who I wouldn't complain about, they where fantastic. Then I got married, moved out had kids and before I knew it I hadn't been to the dentist in 4 years. I said I'd book an appointment at my local dentist as I don't drive and my old dentist would be 20 miles away. So over the last month and a half I've gone three times. First time was a check up and the other two where for fillings . After the first filling I got 5 weeks ago in a tooth that was giving me no pain I've no had pain ever since and I've noticed a crack on the part of the tooth that wasn't filled. This part of my tooth with the crack is giving me pain. But only when I apply pressure or eat certain foods. When I went back to the dentist and told her this she said it is nothing and it will sort itself out. She also said the crack would of always been there and that pain is normal. I then got a second filling on my wisdom tooth a week ago and since then I keep biting the inside of my cheek. Would this be just due to swelling of the cheek from the injection? Now I'm due to go back again for my last filling tomorrow but I'm having second thoughts about it and thinking of cancelling. I'm so annoyed with myself for not staying with my old dentist but I checked the new dentist and heard good things. Then just by the off chance I looked up a review tonight and seen a horrific review that is only 5 days old, it's the only bad review I seen out of many but it's really put me off. So should I just cut my losses and go to my old dentist again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

martin101 wrote: »
    She also said the crack would of always been there and that pain is normal.

I'm not a dentist but that can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

She said it's a hairline crack. But I think it's more than that. It's giving me pain when pressure is applied. She said if we gave fillings for every little hairline crack in teeth people would be coming out with 20 fillings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I’m no expert but I think a recent filling can be sensitive for a good few weeks after.

I think something similar happened me a few years ago.

Regarding the crack. If it was there before would it be visible on the X-ray they did on your tooth before the filling?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Yeah I presume it would of been. It's just strange that the pain is only there on that little crack now after the filling and wasn't there before. I'd no pain at all before. Unless the filling aggravated it. I don't know. She got a bit defensive when I said it was sore. She nice enough but I just think maybe I'm better off going back to my old dentist. Just feel a bit stupid going back now and also don't want to be overacting either. Maybe it's all normal

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Dentistry is not a science and is just pure hack job and butchery.

I haven't been to a dentist in 20 years because I know they would try and rip me off saying I need 1000s of €uro worth of repairs.
    The last dentist I went to tried to convince me I woudn't be able to get a job because of a gap in my teeth - tried to send me off to his orthodontist friend for a cut I guess.... total hack job.

My teeth are fine, I look after them, and I plan on never visiting one of those black magic voodoo witch doctors ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I’m no expert but I think a recent filling can be sensitive for a good few weeks after.

I think something similar happened me a few years ago.

Regarding the crack. If it was there before would it be visible on the X-ray they did on your tooth before the filling?

Hairline fractures are not visible on filled teeth, the filling obscures the enamel on the X-ray and the fracture only becomes visible when the fractured portions are displaced.

Sensitivity/tenderness is common after large/deep fillings, in most cases this goes, but can take a few weeks. Sometimes the discomfort does not resolve, but there was a reason this filling was necessary. We all have fracture lines on teeth, most are not visible, if they were all drilled, no one would have back teeth.

All Clinicians get occasional bad reviews, it is impossible to keep everyone happy.

Advertisement