Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good charity/vintage/thrift shops in the city?

Options
  • 07-01-2020 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I know there's Public Romance but they're quite over priced for what they're selling.

I'm mainly looking for mens clothes and shoes, I'm not expecting any miracles but I'd like to have a look see.

I know there's the Kilo Garm thing on every now and then, is there anything else like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've had good bargains from:
    Cancer Society shop between Merchant's Rd and St Augustine St.
    Enable Ireland shop on High St.
    Simon shop, now on Sean Mulvoy Rd.

V dP "Curiosity shop" on Merchant's Rd and COPE's charity shop on St Augustine St (temporarily in the Corn Store for the next month) also look good, though I personally haven't had any "finds" there.

There's also Oxfam on Lower Abbeygate St, GSPCA on St Augustine St, NCBI on Eyre Square down from Fibbers, Simon on Sea Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There's a vintage shop on Merchants Rs, further down the Claddagh side of Hynes Yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There is a large Simon shop in the briarhill business park. Downstairs sells furniture and upstairs is books, clothes and shoes. I’ve had a few bargains from there over the years.

There is a large Simon shop in the briarhill business park. Downstairs sells furniture and upstairs is books, clothes and shoes. I’ve had a few bargains from there over the years.

Not any more: it moved to Sean Mulvoy Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

MrMiata wrote: »
    I know there's Public Romance but they're quite over priced for what they're selling.

I'm mainly looking for mens clothes and shoes, I'm not expecting any miracles but I'd like to have a look see.

I know there's the Kilo Garm thing on every now and then, is there anything else like that?

Harder to find mens clothes in a charity shop than womens. I think men tend to buy less clothes and wear them to death. The key to finding things is to go in a lot. Some people do the rounds every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It moved last November, new address is
    Unit 11/13 Mulvoy Commerical Centre,
    Sean Mulvoy Rd,
    Galway,
    H91 H029

Opening hours are Monday – Saturdays 9:30am – 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

xckjoo wrote: »
    Harder to find mens clothes in a charity shop than womens. I think men tend to buy less clothes and wear them to death. The key to finding things is to go in a lot. Some people do the rounds every day.

We've gotten some great mens clothes in the Madra shops, particularly in the Moycullen branch(not the city I know, but fyi) the one is Furbo is ok as well, lovely formal shirts there yesterday.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

I work in the city centre and would do the rounds of the charity shops pretty regularly. I'd find Oxfam and Enable Ireland overpriced. Cope on St. Augustine Street (currently being refitted) and Simon shop over on Sea Road both tend to have more high end stuff. SVDP and Cancer society can be hit or miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I see COPE has taken over where that outdoor shop across from the Dail was.

biko wrote: »
    I see COPE has taken over where that outdoor shop across from the Dail was.

Temporarily while their Augustine St space is renovated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

JUst found out that this is no longer true. Thought since i was going past there I would have a look inside. But it's now an empty unit. I asked in the cafe around the corner and the guy there said it may have gone to Liosburn Estate. Shame, it used to have some good stuff in there from time to time.
    Sea Road one is still where it's been for years.

EDIT & now just seen that it's Sean Mulvoy rd . Is that hat was CT Electric. I think that was a charity shop about 3 years ago for a while if i'm thinking of the right unit. Not sure if anybody noticed it was there at the time though.
    Wonder what the story on passing traffic is, would think you'd have to know it was there and be heading there specifically for it otherwise you'd be likely to be driving past it.

THere is a Charity shop of some kind in the Liosban Estate or at least between there and the hotel down there. Not sure if its taht visble from outside but I have noticed it as I was walking outof there in the Terryland direction. It's on a short side street so may not be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭westgolf

Stevolende wrote: »
    JUst found out that this is no longer true. Thought since i was going past there I would have a look inside. But it's now an empty unit. I asked in the cafe around the corner and the guy there said it may have gone to Liosburn Estate. Shame, it used to have some good stuff in there from time to time.
    Sea Road one is still where it's been for years.

EDIT & now just seen that it's Sean Mulvoy rd . Is that hat was CT Electric. I think that was a charity shop about 3 years ago for a while if i'm thinking of the right unit. Not sure if anybody noticed it was there at the time though.
    Wonder what the story on passing traffic is, would think you'd have to know it was there and be heading there specifically for it otherwise you'd be likely to be driving past it.

THere is a Charity shop of some kind in the Liosban Estate or at least between there and the hotel down there. Not sure if its taht visble from outside but I have noticed it as I was walking outof there in the Terryland direction. It's on a short side street so may not be obvious.

It's in the former M.J.Burke premises at the end of the row of shops.

Advertisement