Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 In Between Grand Slam Thread

• 03-01-2020 12:52am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Third day of the new year and the thread hasn't been started yet :eek:

The WTA side start their year in Brisbane (Premier level), Shenzhen and Auckland (both International) as usual.

Most of the big names on the ATP side will be playing this brand new ATP Cup exho thing. Sounds like a load of sh*te but maybe it'll be good? It'll be played along side the usual 250 event in Qatar, whilst Brisbane is no more. Pune has been tossed aside to the first week of February after the Australian Open.

The Hopman Cup, meanwhile, is no more.

I hope it's a good season, last year's was my least favourite in almost a decade of following the sport.

2020 WTA Tour

2020 ATP Tour

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The ATP Cup makes for a handy tune up en route to the AO. Some decent games and as expected Serbia, France, Japan, Argentina, Croatia and Spain looking to be in good shape at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I'm looking forward to seeing a few different winners of the ATP1000 tournaments this year as the 'big three' continue to wind down/ concentrate on polishing their slam count numbers.

Despite the raft of new contenders / rivalries, it's hard to look past Fedalovic to put on a proper show at the business end of things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

lostcat wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing a few different winners of the ATP1000 tournaments this year as the 'big three' continue to wind down/ concentrate on polishing their slam count numbers.

Despite the raft of new contenders / rivalries, it's hard to look past Fedalovic to put on a proper show at the business end of things

:D
    Wind down ?

Nadal is winning the AO , FO and most likely USO this year ... perhaps Wimbledon too...

edit - sorry, yeah more M1000 to the new losers on the tour, yeah the big "3" (1 really) will only be winning slams for the considerable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

:D
    Wind down ?

Nadal is winning the AO , FO and most likely USO this year ... perhaps Wimbledon too...

edit - sorry, yeah more M1000 to the new losers on the tour, yeah the big "3" (1 really) will only be winning slams for the considerable future.
    Ah come on Hector, change the record for the new year! ;)

Ah come on Hector, change the record for the new year! ;)

I'll change the record when Tennis changes the bloody record!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Enjoying the ATP Cup!

Nadal and Djokovic look to be in decent form. Anderson dug deep to beat Paire, it was a good match.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

mzungu wrote: »
    Enjoying the ATP Cup!

Nadal and Djokovic look to be in decent form. Anderson dug deep to beat Paire, it was a good match.

The players are seemingly taking it very seriously. I must correct my original post as it's not an exho, points are being offered.

It's not going well for Zverev so far though, 0-3 in singles with losses to De Minaur, Shapovalov and Tsitsipas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Is this the year we finally get a new mens slam winner?

I won't hold my breath tbh

Reckon Djokovic won't be losing the AO, Nadal should do the French, while I'd expect another Djokovic/Federer final in London

The best bet would be the US Open potentially

That said I could see one of the "next gen" winning the Olympics and Tour Finals again, and they should win a few masters

jr86 wrote: »
    Is this the year we finally get a new mens slam winner?

No, not till at least 2024...

Do we really have to put up with this in every bloody thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Put them on ignore, it’s easier

I'm right though..

BBC whispering about it last year ....

46785142722_9a58ba4f02_c.jpg

Yes she is talking about legal stuff, but still they have started to ask the questions, can't wait till he's 40 winning Rolland Garros hearing the media then...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes, surely this warrants some kind of moderator action at this stage. Were they not banned from their last account?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm kind of looking forward to the schadenfreude :D

Yes, surely this warrants some kind of moderator action at this stage. Were they not banned from their last account?

What other account ?
    You wanna be careful what you accuse people of, I'd like to see some proof...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Mod Note

Let's start the year on a good note everyone. Please refrain from accussing others of being re-regs. You're all regulars here so you know the rules and everyone's quirks.

The players are seemingly taking it very seriously. I must correct my original post as it's not an exho, points are being offered.
    Aye, they are giving it socks.
    It's not going well for Zverev so far though, 0-3 in singles with losses to De Minaur, Shapovalov and Tsitsipas.

Who knows what is up with him. He can never seem to hit any kind of consistent form.

What other account ?
    You wanna be careful what you accuse people of, I'd like to see some proof...

:pac::pac::pac:
    mzungu wrote: »
    Aye, they are giving it socks.

Who knows what is up with him. He can never seem to hit any kind of consistent form.

There's some situation going on with a former coach trying to sue him I think, it's really affecting him. Think I posted about it last year but I'm sure it can be easily Googled.

There's flaws with him game too, I haven't watched him play recently but apparently the serve is gone totally awry. He was a real prospect but right now it's looking like Tsitsipas, Shapovalov and Auger-Aliassime are gonna pass him by.

How is Medvedev looking ?
    would love him of all people to proove me good and wrong!!

• Advertisement

How is Medvedev looking ?
    would love him of all people to proove me good and wrong!!
    Not at USO levels yet, but is certainly heading in that direction. He will be seeded 4th at the AO and would be my 3rd pick to win it (after Djoker and Nadal). Would love to see him do it.

Not at USO levels yet, but is certainly heading in that direction. He will be seeded 4th at the AO and would be my 3rd pick to win it (after Djoker and Nadal). Would love to see him do it.

Indeed, I do like Novak but would love to see a new lad win it ...

Boisterous Serb majority crowd here not fully to Nadals liking, Djokovic bet him round the place in that first set but his level had dropped here and there this week so it's not over yet.
    Spain still favourites if Nadal perks up for the doubles, he is by far the best doubles player of either team.

And thats that, now let's hope Djokovic can make it to the AO final, he is the only one that can beat Nadal.

My fear is that one of the new lads will do NAdal a massive favour by beating Nole...

And thats that, now let's hope Djokovic can make it to the AO final, he is the only one that can beat Nadal.

My fear is that one of the new lads will do NAdal a massive favour by beating Nole...
    I thought you were a big Nadal fan Hector?!

You're onto something there though, even though Djokovic beat Medvedev this week, I still think he is vulnerable against the next gen. Nadal, on the other hand, seems to have no issue with them but simply can't beat Djokovic on hard courts these days.

Thought the tournament overall, from what I saw of it, was very decent, certainly much more interesting than a couple of meaningless warm up tournaments.

You don't often see Nadal get pissy but he had a right dig in his postmatch presser at the 'serbian' crowd for their somewhat partisan support. I guess its ok if its spaniards doing it at the davis cup :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

Australia is probably the only place the majority of the crowd would be shouting for Djokovic.
    And even then as long as he wasn't playing Federer.

I thought the game where Djokovic came back from 0-40 down to hold his serve was great.
    Especially the 2nd point he won.

Both he and Nadal were using every centimetre of the court, incredible to watch.

josip wrote: »
    Australia is probably the only place the majority of the crowd would be shouting for Djokovic.
    And even then as long as he wasn't playing Federer.

I thought the game where Djokovic came back from 0-40 down to hold his serve was great.
    Especially the 2 point he won.

Both he and Nadal were using every centimetre of the court, incredible to watch.

Aye, the hitting from both was top notch. Would have liked it to go to a decider.

I just really don't know how Nadal is going to win the AO given Djokovic is completely in his head for years off clay, and Federer has a wonderful recent record against him

Like his last two US Open wins he will need results to go his way

• Advertisement

I just really don't know how Nadal is going to win the AO given Djokovic is completely in his head for years off clay, and Federer has a wonderful recent record against him

Like his last two US Open wins he will need results to go his way
    Agree, no way is Nadal is winning Oz if Djokovic is in the final, he simply has no answers to him on hard courts. I think he could take Federer, mainly because Federer is a lot more erratic and inconsistent these days in slams. Djokovic is the favourite by a country mile though, however, I still think Medvedev could upset him though if he is on his side of the draw. Draw will be very interesting later in the week

Advertisement