Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Saw this yesterday at a local bookshop:

"Letters from Father Christmas are a collection of letters written and illustrated by J. R. R. Tolkien between 1920 and 1942 for his children, from Father Christmas. They were released posthumously."

9780007280490.jpg

otnomart wrote: »
    Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas by Adam Kay follows Kay through six festive seasons on hospital wards.
    will be published on 17 October

Finally found it yesterday in a local English-language bookshop,

started it last night and it is really hilarious !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

For something slightly different but still with that Christmas theme.

Terry Pratchets: Hogfather.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00354YA18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I probably mentioned this before, but this is a brilliant version of the spoof of the song.

51DTBcCK7KL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

freida wrote: »
    There is also a beautifully illustrated book called ' the Christmas miracle of Jonathon Toomey' by susan wojciechowski. It's only short so more one you might borrow from a library maybe.

I did this, read it to the kids. It really is a beautiful book and story thanks for the recommendation!

• Advertisement

I saved up reading the "Last Christmas" book for the days between Christmas and New Year, and what a lovely book ! Striking memories that made me think and feel very grateful for what we have got. Planning to re-read it next year !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I saved up reading the "Last Christmas" book for the days between Christmas and New Year, and what a lovely book ! Striking memories that made me think and feel very grateful for what we have got. Planning to re-read it next year !

I enjoyed the first half of it, but found by the end it was a tad repetitive as many stories seemed similar in nature. However I'm sure I'll pick it up again & reread in the build up to another christmas, maybe not this year (2020) but at some stage.

Some of the stories were incredibly sad though, one of the first 2 had me in tears when I read it of a Sunday morning when everyone else in the house was still asleep.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

New story by JK Rowling - The Ickabog
    available online, for free.
    she plans to publish a couple of chapters each day, and there also is an illustrations competion for children

https://www.theickabog.com/read-the-story/

I have not started it yet, as first chapters are just out.
    Am hoping there is some Christmas in there !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Saw this yesterday at a local bookshop:

"Letters from Father Christmas are a collection of letters written and illustrated by J. R. R. Tolkien between 1920 and 1942 for his children, from Father Christmas. They were released posthumously."

9780007280490.jpg

I just bought this online. I have to say the best Christmas book I have ever bought was the Irish County Woman's association book. I bought it as a joke for my wife who want's to be a townie however I had my nose in it. It is a really beautiful book and amazing insight in to other peoples beautiful traditions.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I just bought this online. I have to say the best Christmas book I have ever bought was the Irish County Woman's association book. I bought it as a joke for my wife who want's to be a townie however I had my nose in it. It is a really beautiful book and amazing insight in to other peoples beautiful traditions.

Thats bizarre, I just ordered this book from Amazon last night. (the tolkien one)
    Was ordering in some books for the kids & that one had been in my watch list for a while so decided to chuck it in with the order.

Had meant to get a copy of the Irish Co. Womans book before but never got round to ordering it. Must look into it again.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Now that Elf1 has started to read on her own was thinking of ordering some books for her. Thanks for the reminder on this, will definitely add it, looks like it would be a great book to read to them at Christmas.

New story by JK Rowling - The Ickabog
    available online, for free.
    she plans to publish a couple of chapters each day, and there also is an illustrations competion for children

https://www.theickabog.com/read-the-story/

I have not started it yet, as first chapters are just out.
    Am hoping there is some Christmas in there !

My kids school just emailed this to the parents as a suggestion/point of interest.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Now that Elf1 has started to read on her own was thinking of ordering some books for her. Thanks for the reminder on this, will definitely add it, looks like it would be a great book to read to them at Christmas.

I ordered another christmas one, its called the Christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher, its for older children though (8-12) so may not suit, yet!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmasaurus-Tom-Fletcher/dp/0141373342/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1CWENGIPHUPJA&dchild=1&keywords=the+christmasaurus&qid=1590567065&sprefix=the+christmasauar%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-1

The Irish country womens book of Christmas is still temporarily unavilable (not forking out £90 stg on Amazon) so will need to keep an eye out for it for a bit longer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

DvB wrote: »
    The Irish country womens book of Christmas is still temporarily unavilable (not forking out £90 stg on Amazon) so will need to keep an eye out for it for a bit longer.

You're welcome. :)

New Home wrote: »

its out of stock on that link too :(

its out of stock on that link too :(

Ah, shoot! I saw "16 copies available", I didn't think they'd be other titles... :( Sorry...

New Home wrote: »
    Ah, shoot! I saw "16 copies available", I didn't think they'd be other titles... :( Sorry...

Not at all, you werent to know, thanks for even looking for me, its much appreciated.

Those 2 christmas books I had ordered from Amazon arrived last weekend. Only had a chance to look at the Tolkien one last night & its beautiful.
    Looking forward to reading it & seeing the world Tolkien created for his children.

My daughter has started in the Christmasauraus and has reliably informed me that its great.

win win!

I must admit though that an email from Amazon highlighting other christmas books has me browsing already to increase the stock of my christmas related book collection... they work out the suckers quickly:)

The Tolkien book arrived and it is a beautiful book. I have only read the first few letters, that polar bear is a liability. Such different times, pre internet, when you could create such a world without the fear of a kid googling it and ruining it. I like how father Christmas tempers the kids expectations in the letters.

• Advertisement

"Canongate is to publish Matt Haig's new children's book, A Mouse Called Miika .
    It will be a spin-off book from Haig’s A Boy Called Christmas series, which has been adapted for cinema and is expected to be released by Studiocanal next year.
    The book will be published in hardback in September 2021. "
    Source: https://www.thebookseller.com/news/canongate-signs-matt-haigs-childrens-book-1209309#

Avon Books will publish The Christmas Killer, the first title in a new series by Alex Pine, in October 2020.
    The book is billed as a “a dark and atmospheric crime novel, set in a snowed-in Cumbrian village"
    Source: https://www.thebookseller.com/news/avon-nets-pines-christmas-killer-1208582

Just seen this
    Harry Potter: Christmas at Hogwarts: Magical Movie Moments
    from 6 October
    https://hollywoodlife.com/2020/09/08/harry-potter-christmas-at-hogwarts-magical-movie-moments-book-first-look/
    harry-potter-christmas-shopping-insight-editions-embed3.jpg?w=620&h=310

The Official Downton Abbey Christmas Cookbook will be released at the end of Oct
    I might ask Santa for it !
    https://www.delish.com/food-news/a34075627/the-official-downton-abbey-cookbook/
    screen-shot-2020-09-18-at-12-29-59-pm-1600446612.png?

Interview with Jenny Bayliss, Author of ‘The Twelve Dates of Christmas’
    https://www.thenerddaily.com/jenny-bayliss-author-interview/

Jenny-Bayliss-Author-Interview.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Just got Nigel Slaters Christmas Chronicles in the post yesterday. Read the first few pages and it really provokes the senses! It's so descriptive you can feel winter! Looking forward to more pages

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    Just got Nigel Slaters Christmas Chronicles in the post yesterday. Read the first few pages and it really provokes the senses! It's so descriptive you can feel winter! Looking forward to more pages

I bought it last year and will read it again this year I just love his descriptive writing

Hi there, I just found the book on an irish website books4u this morning and ordered it for €11!! !! I was so excited to come across it, thought i would let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

weetiepie wrote: »
    Hi there, I just found the book on an irish website books4u this morning and ordered it for €11!! !! I was so excited to come across it, thought i would let you know

Ohh il give this a look at lunchtime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I was in the box room putting all the presents in one spot found a Christmas book I asked my other half for last Christmas from Emma Hannigan looking forward to curling up on the sofa reading that over the coming weeks

Advertisement