Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who Spyfall S012e01 - discussion!

• 02-01-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

my first impression - EPIC

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The last ten minutes was. The rest of it was rubbish.

The guy fits the part well. A good choice.

• Sweet jesus but that bike chase was painfully bad. Bullets magically attracted to the indestructible bike handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's showing signs of improvement from last season but still has a way to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Dire until I turned up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭liamtech

The Master wrote: »
    Dire until I turned up

You are usually referred to as the master - universally sir!

• Advertisement

Although the fact that the doctor materialized her tardis inside the MASTERS tardis - thats a wrinkle for me - it should have been obvious -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

The show is turning into a generic American action show now with the focus on The Doctors 9 thousand assistants.

The show is turning into a generic American action show now with the focus on The Doctors 9 thousand assistants.

a harsh critique in my opinion - it has changed but im fine with it - i lasted 16 years without doctor who - this is fine - not the best in general maybe -

But yesterdays was EPIC

imho

Well at least you didn't tell you are a proper fan this time.

Well at least you didn't tell you are a proper fan this time.

I mentioned that im a proper fan to make the point that this franchise is near and dear to my heart - you seem to have a problem - ?

Happy to DM if thats the case - but in all honesty the whoniverse should be safe enough for you and i to disagree? big enough too that we need not meet again (my dear rani;))

• Advertisement

No will I take your insult and not engage with you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Was a bit sh*t really. But an improvement on the last season. Maybe a step in the right direction.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

No will I take your insult and not engage with you again.

i didnt insult you pal! honestly i entered some fan based banter (like your the rani - as if - your clearly the meddling monk:D ) and you have taken offense

i dont understand your animosity if im honest

happy to discuss but its not belligerent on my part

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭bren2001

I thought the episode was ok. An improvement on last season and moving in the right direction. Some of the action was generic and badly done.

I thought Sacha Dhawan gave a weird performance. He didn't come across as menacing at all, he just seemed weird. I thought it was really poor casting. It was also blatantly obvious he wasn't a good guy from the moment you meet him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Action scenes have never been Who's strong point. Even here when it seemed like they had the money this time, they just come off a little flat. It might probably be down to the TV directors not have the chops for staging a good intensity and vigour needed. Can't imagine many film schools in the UK teach the principals of action cinema

As to the episode? Well, I've long since taken Who as a piece of televisual furniture; it's a while since it has surprised or excited me, but remains enjoyable and charismatic even when a bit mediocre. The Bond stuff was a touch too on the nose, and the mystery a bit ho hum, but as said it entertained without setting the pulse going. Just a comfortable sofa.

The Master reveal (already spoiled before viewing thanks to the BBC's YouTube page) was disappointing though. The journey of Missy was a great arc - recent too - and arguably put the character to rest, effectively killed off through partial redemption. And that the new one is another scenery chewer seems doubly lazy, they don't all now have to be like John Simm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They made a behind the scenes for the sequence, so take a look and judge for yourself if they made enough effort or not.

I note that Sacha's girlfriend is one Anjli Mohindra who played Rani Chandra opposite Elisabeth Sladen in the Sarah Jane Adventures a few years back. She's been announced as having a guest role in this series but not as Rani. However, the way this series has gone so far she may well come in as THE Rani.:D

I dont like Jodie as the Doctor. I dont think she is strong enough to carry the role. Who has had a really strong list of fantastic female actors such as Piper, Gomez, Sladen,Kingston etc so it's a lot to live up to.

I do think Dhawan played the Master really well though. A good choice.

Henry was also very good. Possibly a case of the main actors outshining the Doctor, which I dont think is a good thing.

Why the Master again! The Master is done to death at this stage. The Rani would have been a nice change and someone now in the new Whoverse and it would have been to females going against each other or is that not allowed in the PC world of Doctor who now.

Why the Master again! The Master is done to death at this stage. The Rani would have been a nice change and someone now in the new Whoverse and it would have been to females going against each other or is that not allowed in the PC world of Doctor who now.

They probably would have had one of them as a lesbian.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

:rolleyes: if the BBC were that rabidly woke then obviously they would have made the Master a white man, right? But they didn't, soooooo ... ? Maybe they're not as hellbent over agendas as some of its viewers ;)

Also, the Rani sucked. Just a warmed up Master with some stunt casting from a then celebrity. Let's not pretend it's some great opportunity missed. Definitely disappointed though that they brought the character back mind ..

• Advertisement

Or maybe, you know,....... THE VALEYARD

Im totally due a comeback!!

Also, feel the Master card played again, just undermines the whole Missy saga and actually kinda ruins her path to redemption and finally siding with The Doctor, until Simms ends that one. Bit of a slap on the face to a previous era.

Or maybe, you know,....... THE VALEYARD

Im totally due a comeback!!

Didn't the character get name checked at some point? In fact I presume he doesn't exist anymore in canon given we've gone past the 12th and 13th incarnations

pixelburp wrote: »
    Didn't the character get name checked at some point? In fact I presume he doesn't exist anymore in canon given we've gone past the 12th and 13th incarnations

The Great Intelligence mentioned him on Tenzalore during 'The Name of The Doctor '

Think he can appear anywhere between 12th and final regen.

I thought Michelle Gomez was great in the role.

ebbsy wrote: »
    I thought Michelle Gomez was great in the role.

She was brilliant. Intelligent, witty, charming, slightly cannibalistic.

She was brilliant. Intelligent, witty, charming, slightly cannibalistic.

But the new guy is not bad either. Played the part well I thought.

ebbsy wrote: »
    But the new guy is not bad either. Played the part well I thought.

Yeah, it's a different take on the Master, think I'm just burned out on Master shock appearances. Maybe I'd like more Vashta Nerada, Scaroth, Rassilon, etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm not excited by Who anymore.

That's ok, it's 15 years old now, things change and evolve. Maybe it's not being made for me anymore. I do miss being excited on Sat evening though.

I still kinda feel I don't know this Doctor or have been given too much of a reason to care, it feel a little underwritten overall tbh. That said, this episode was better than most last season, I was surprised we're seeing the Master again, but it was a good reveal for me and the last 10 minutes were the best.

• Advertisement

My feeling is it not being made for a British audience anymore it has been Americanized and now has lost what made it so special in the first place.

Advertisement