Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R Awards 2019 - The Results!!

• 05-01-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭

Hope all the guys have there tuxedos on and the ladies there finest gunas(and AMK got a new coat of Cocoa Brown!!), i'll start with the results:

Post of the Year:

This one goes to Bananaleaf for this effort:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111269071&postcount=2635

A truly brilliant post on what she has learnt from the previous 3 DCM novices threads.

Race of the Year:

Clear winner in this, DCM, its hard to beat the DCM juggernaut on this forum year on year for race of the year. Dunshaughlin 10km was second, being the only other race that got multiple nominations.

Thread of the Year:

As with DCM, it hard to beat the winner here also, the DCM Novices. A real tribute to the mentor, Mr Guappa and all the folks he guided along there DCM journey. The Hansons for DCM thread was second.

Newcomer of the Year:

This was the most clear cut result of the entire lot and it goes to Laineyfrecks, her tireless enthusiasm for running is infectious and she has talent in bundles that's only being tipped on currently, a deserved winner.

Report of the Year:

Winner here is myself for my Amsterdam Half Marathon report, followed by AMK's leg punching Rotterdam effort and in third place was Coogy for his take on DCM 2019.

Most Improved Runner of the Year:

This one was nip and tuck for most of the week but one poster pulled away over last few days for victory. He went from 3.54 in DCM 2018 to 3.13.51 at DCM 2019 and followed this up by improving his HM PB from 1.31.55 to 1.26.56 in the Clontarf HM. I suppose something good has to come out of Roscommon apart from the roads, the winner, Comic Book Guy.

Joint second were Kellygirl, who ran 9 out of 10 PB's over distances raced this year and Sheep1978 who easily went sub 3 at DCM. I was third but who cares!!

Poster of the Year:

This was by far the closet contest of the whole awards, the whole week through it was back and forth between two posters!!! So much so it came down to the very last nomination i received last night off Singer at 11.27pm!! The winner is....... myself!!! I'm delighted to be recognised by my peers as being the best Poster for the Year on this forum but my winner is the man that followed me, Mr Guappa. The sterling work and time A put into his Novices was astounding. Year on year we are blessed with great mentors and year on year they raise the bar higher, pity the person following in A's footsteps. Huge shoes to fill.

Log of the Year:

This for me is the cream of the crop, your following in the footsteps of such Boards legends as Krusty_Clown, Jebuz and TbL just to name a few. It is the award in my eyes where the best runner on the forum is acknowledged(ok not in TbL's case!!) by there fellow peers, its the log where all the best training and performances take place, its the log of the year. In first place..........

1. AMK - hugely deserving recognition for a man that brings so much to the forum, great training, better racing and some comedy and humour to boot plus the best tan around the place. I met A first at the 2013 Tom Brennan 5k in the Phoenix Park where he finished a few seconds ahead of me, since then hes left me in his dust performances wise. A truly dedicated runner who imparts advice at a whim and doesn't hurt his cause he is a gentleman to boot. Well done A, throughly deserved.

2. WubbleWubble.

3. healy1835/ OOnegative.

That's it for 2019 folks, all winners fully deserved in what was another good year for the forum.

Can i just say and i'm not criticising anyone in particular, the voting was shocking, many Boards regulars abstained which was very disappointing. Its everyone's forum lads, its up to ye to keep it going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done to all the winners. Very well deserved all round. It's great to see so many new names included. Thanks B for your efforts, next stop moderator! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done to all the winners. Very well deserved all round. It's great to see so many new names included. Thanks B for your efforts, next stop moderator! :D

Absolutely brilliant to see plenty of new names winning, great for the forum. As for the Modding, three great ones here already with years left in them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    Counting isn't my strongest attribute P:eek::eek::eek:.

Hope you got the sums right counting the votes. :)

Well done B. Congrats to all the winners, especially yourself.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hope you got the sums right counting the votes. :)

Well done B. Congrats to all the winners, especially yourself.

No lie I counted 20 times at least D and got herself(Figures background) to double check. And thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I'm honestly truly humbled & especially as i see the talent around me & the names i was up against! Thank you all so much, i love running & i love waffling(as you can tell by my log ;) ) so great to be rewarded for that :D

Big huge well done to all the winners especially my fellow novice Bananaleaf for that epic post ;)

Also a special thanks to SB who has truly been great in all aspects of my training, without his help & belief i wouldn't have pushed that little bit harder!

Now to swap my fancy frock for comfy running gear :D

• Advertisement

Now to swap my fancy frock for comfy running gear :D

In the words of AMK “Oh matron”.

Throughly deserved of your victory, well done. And give that Auld codger no credit for your improvements. All on you.

I was hoping she would show up & I see she has, Hannibal_Smith thank you for your wonderfully kind PM in the summer. I tried numerous times to reply but my PM wouldn’t go through. Hope your still running!!

Throughly deserved of your victory, well done. And give that Auld codger no credit for your improvements. All on you.

What a load of boll0x :pac: It's all about me...never forget that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well done to all the winners - all very deserving! This is a great little community, and it is nice to have the chance to recognise some of those who made significant contributions in 2019. Thanks again to B for running the awards this year - a complete honour to be runner-up to you as poster of the year :)

Haha thanks a mill & thanks for taking the time to run this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant stuff and well deserved winners. Great to see AMK finally get the acknowledgement he really doesn't want atall ;)

Thanks B for organising. Really appreciate it.

Been a rough year for the forum losing quite a few regulars (myself included for a while) . Thankfully a bunch of people have stepped up and that's reflected in the results. Well done everyone.

Stop licking up, still not talking to you!!!!

Brilliant stuff and well deserved winners. Great to see AMK finally get the acknowledgement he really doesn't want atall ;)

Been a rough year for the forum losing quite a few regulars (myself included for a while) . Thankfully a bunch of people have stepped up and that's reflected in the results. Well done everyone.

Ah those newcomers are only keeping our seats warm P! I won't quote Terminator as its cliched.....:pac::pac:

Ah those newcomers are only keeping our seats warm P! I won't quote Terminator as its cliched.....:pac::pac:

Would you stop, the sequel to Mary Poppins came along quicker than your comeback!!

Would you stop, the sequel to Mary Poppins came along quicker than your comeback!!

It's what happens when you're old. :(

It's what happens when you're old. :(

Sure you’re only 46!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I was hoping she would show up & I see she has, Hannibal_Smith thank you for your wonderfully kind PM in the summer. I tried numerous times to reply but my PM wouldn’t go through. Hope your still running!!

Sorry...its my fault I switched my pm's off and keep forgetting to turn them back on. Must sort it now :D

You're very welcome. I dont think people realise when they log how much their determination impacts others. Its not only the running and the stats. But also how non running life is worked around...if that makes sense.

Congratulations to all the winners. All well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    Stop licking up, still not talking to you!!!!

The competition was fierce this year B. What can I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

So there was a plus side to my horror show at DCM18!!
    I'm not in an athletics club and do all my running by myself so this forum and community is a great source of knowledge, expertise and camaraderie to me.
    Thanks very much for the acknowledgement guys (even if there were worthier candidates). It really does mean a lot and is much appreciated.

Thanks for running it B (with your latest Rossie dig I'm already looking forward to a certain Div 2 league game in early March!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Oh wow, thank you! I'm both very surprised and delighted to get a mention here. Thank you to whoever was kind enough to vote for me. Reading back over that post, it was such an innocent time in my little novice life - I had NO IDEA what lay ahead of me!! :pac:

Congratulations to all winners, in particular my fellow novice Laineyfrecks. Us novices all knew very early on that Lainey had a special talent and nobody was surprised at all when she absolutely nailed it on the day! I just know that I'll open Irish Runner one of these days and there'll she be!

I must say, this has given me a great boost! Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done to all the very, very deserving winners!!! Fair play to you B for organizing also, you really keep this place going at times :)

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Oh wow, thank you! I'm both very surprised and delighted to get a mention here. Thank you to whoever was kind enough to vote for me. Reading back over that post, it was such an innocent time in my little novice life - I had NO IDEA what lay ahead of me!! :pac:

Congratulations to all winners, in particular my fellow novice Laineyfrecks. Us novices all knew very early on that Lainey had a special talent and nobody was surprised at all when she absolutely nailed it on the day! I just know that I'll open Irish Runner one of these days and there'll she be!

I must say, this has given me a great boost! Thank you :)

Shouldn't be cutting onions while reading this:( I'm not crying...you are...

Thank you & well deserved for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great awards. I feel bad as I missed all of this and didn’t submit votes. I have barely been online recently. All those who received awards, I would have voted for though!! Thank you so much to whoever nominated me. Was a lovely surprise to see that. I really appreciate it. I’d lost a bit of motivation in December but hopefully will get back to it soon once I‘ve an injury sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thank You OOnegative for all you do for Boards and all you put into boards and for how truly honest you are on certain topics - its certainly a reason why many of us stay around.

Regarding my own award, recognition like this makes me want to put more effort into my own log and also input into the main forum, which I do little of.
    Its also worth mentioning that we only stay here through the value we get from other logs, so the quality of the other’s logs keeps us here – it’s a group thing, a community.

Many thanks to those who take the time to vote – at times, its difficult to see what value 'your' log brings, but that ‘value’ is held by the reader of the log - not by you, the ‘writer’, yourself. So the value of your log should never be judged by you, or indeed by responses (or lack there of) – I read many logs and get plenty from them, but don’t respond to many.

Its a small little community we have here and when I'm at races with my club, they are astounded by the numbers of people who I know - all mainly from here - either current or previous – and all nice people. 999/1000 runners are top notch people.

Regarding the awards, they are great and I really appreciate the award, but I do want to mention Applegirls Manchester Marathon report – never has a report left me speechless as hers – top notch stuff.

So – thank you all, very humbled to receive this award, I’m in my Tux right now, sipping Champers, wondering how I add more value to Boards A&R into 2020 and reignite its popularity.

Thank You!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done to all the very deserved winners! And thanks to OONegative for all his work on this and everyone who contributed to the thread to remind us of the posts/posters/logs of note throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Well done to all winners.

Have to admit missed alot of what was going on here this year (had been meaning to read up and vote but completely got away from me over the christmas period)

Great to see new blood stepping up though and driving things forward long may it continue and also a big well done to OO, man must have a spider web diagram of all boardsies goings on in the house as he usually knows everyones race results even before they do :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats to all the winners. Sorry I didn't get around to voting. Fair play to OOnegative for organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done everyone!! I was offline over Christmas/New Year so this thread completely passed me by and I missed voting this time around. Lots of deserving winners and great to see new names alongside the older ones too. Fair play for organising it all OONegative! (And congrats on a bumper year yourself ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done to all the winners and to those that voted and to 00Negative for organising. Sorry I completely missed it as I've been offline most of the past 6 weeks.

I hope to get back regularly posting in my own and other logs too. I love reading the logs and watching as people progress and get rewards for super training. the detail that goes into some logs is fantastic and we never know how our posts/logs impact on others.

My log is quite a few years old now :eek: and I love going back sometimes and reading & reminiscing about the "gud ole days" when I was young and at my peak and I dream off getting back there someday :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Jaysus - I'd say my log won with just 2 votes by the sounds of things!!

Advertisement