Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentlemen (Guy Ritchie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Hunnam makes me want to avoid anything he's in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was going to say being a Miramax film, Disney were giving Ritchie some play money off the back of his success with Aladdin, but hadn't realised the Mouse House sold Miramax ~10 years ago. Still, has the distinct feel of a film being made as a favour, but that's probably just me.

This the period for trailers for boilerplate films though? We got a very Scorsese looking Scorsese trailer; then a very Bay looking Bay trailer; now an extremely Guy Ritchie looking Guy Ritchie trailer. If it weren't official, I'd swear it was a parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Guy Richie should just go home and get in the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Trailers so good the film can only be terrible.

Hugh Grant channelling Nick Frost of all people for his inner Michael Caine.

• El Duda wrote: »
    Hunnam makes me want to avoid anything he's in.

Hunnam is a cheese sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not ashamed to admit I tend to like Guy Ritchie films. Of course, he misses the mark on occasion. I really like Colin Farrell as well as McConaughey and Hugh Grant. I'm all over it to be honest. Have to also agree about Hunnam, I'm never anything but less than impressed with him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I also like Guy Richie's movies (though I've never seen Swept Away...)
    No problem with Charlie Hunnam either!

This looks like The Gentlemen: A Snatch Story

And I for one am looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm not ashamed to admit I tend to like Guy Ritchie films. Of course, he misses the mark on occasion. I really like Colin Farrell as well as McConaughey and Hugh Grant. I'm all over it to be honest. Have to also agree about Hunnam, I'm never anything but less than impressed with him.

I think Grant and Farrell could have the scene stealing, mvp roles here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

surely he could have worked Statham in somewhere, for old time's sake?

loyatemu wrote: »
    surely he could have worked Statham in somewhere, for old time's sake?

A cameo from these two would be nice

cedd51fc7da15ce554179e359b37c507.jpg

000SNC_Jason_Statham_011.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Nothing containing Eddie Marsan can be totally beyond redemption, even if this strains the outer limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Stathams answer to the offer was classic Goodfellas.

Guy Ritchie calls hey Jayo go home and get your scowl.

Statham, Yeah I don't do that no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Saw this yesterday. Its absolutely fantastic. Very similar to Snatch alright. Hugh Grant absolutely steals it. Every line he delivers is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Saw this earlier today. Hugh Grant does steal it and should have gotten higher billing. Colin Farrell is great in it too as is Mathew McConaughey and Charlie Hunnam with Eddie Marsan being his usual reliable self.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Caught this today in the cinema. Ritchie back on top form. Very enjoyable. Some may be fearful that he could be recycling his cockney geezer stuff to ill-judged effect, but although he wheels some of that it in, it's sufficiently different from 'Lock, Stock', and Snatch (and RocknRolla)- and maybe more like Vaughan's Layer Cake- not to be cannabalising the style too much. It's plot heavy, but that doesn't matter; great performances all round (except Hunnam's inscrutable accent), and some great lines. Hugh Grant's performance alone was worth the ticket price.

Ritchie is wildly inconsistent. Half of his movies are sh1t and the other half are decent.

But this one sounds good so will check it out.

Grant's role from the trailer looks a riot alright and likewise Hunnam seems off-putting and a bit too close in look to Conor McGregor which would turn me off even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Was supposed to goto JoJo rabbit but changed late and went to this.

It was an absolute blast, me and my friend haven’t enjoyed a fun movie like that in a long long time. Part of it prob is expectations and not actually really planning to see it.

Grant was superb and Farrell is just made for those sort of roles. McConaghy and Hunnam were nicely cast and played their roles well. I hear Dockery usually plays an uppity lady in downton abbey and plays the exact opposite in this.

I think as with most Ritchie movies if you allow the story to just carry you along they can be an awful lot of fun.

I think 8/10 is a fair rating but will give it 9/10 for being so unexpectedly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

glasso wrote: »
    Ritchie is wildly inconsistent. Half of his movies are sh1t and the other half are decent.

But this one sounds good so will check it out.

Grant's role from the trailer looks a riot alright and likewise Hunnam seems off-putting and a bit too close in look to Conor McGregor which would turn me off even more.

It's funny you say that because I thought Farrell was doing his best McGregor impression. He has some of the best lines in the film. Really enjoyed this. It wasn't breaking a whole load of new ground but there was some laugh out loud bits and a couple of OTT performances that were fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Very entertaining film with a great cast. Helps that it's been ages since I have seen a Guy Ritchie gangster film. Good flick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I had a lot of fun watching this, particularly the performances of Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »
    It's funny you say that because I thought Farrell was doing his best McGregor impression. He has some of the best lines in the film. Really enjoyed this. It wasn't breaking a whole load of new ground but there was some laugh out loud bits and a couple of OTT performances that were fun.

Similar to Intermission?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Similar to Intermission?
    Funny you should say that. When I watched it I thought his very first scene
    was a kind of inversion of his first Intermission scene. Pretty certain it was an overt reference to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Similar to Intermission?

I recommended it to some friends who love Intermission on the pretence that Farrell is in full on Dublin mode

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it on Friday, and I really enjoyed it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Saw this today. Great movie. Really enjoyed it. The whole cast were excellent.

I rarely say this but I would watch it again. Farrell has some funny scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Corvo

Saw his last night, really enjoyed it and would echo Snow Garden above, I would definitely watch it again.

Genuinely laughed out loud (as did the rest of the cinema) at some parts and the soundtrack is amazing.

A return to form for Guy R.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Thought this was really great, I was "in" from the opening song.

The acting was fantastic throughout, Grant was on top form and you could tell he was enjoying playing against type. McConaughy was his usual self though it was nice to see him in full on gangster-psycho mode a few times.

The story and plot kept unfolding; I liked the framing device of how the story was told (the scenes cutting back to Grant and Hunman drinking whiskey, eating steak etc). It didn't get too convoluted, and just like Snatch, it worked it's way back around to a satisfying conclusion. Jeremy Strong was great too, he was almost over-playing the part but it worked. He's a very versatile actor, the the three things I've seen him in (this, Succession, and the Big Short) are all very different roles.

I do hope this movie does well in the US as it'll encourage Ritchie to make more like it. I enjoyed Rocknrolla and UNCLE but didn't really get into the other movies he's made since then. He has a style that's his own and is always a pleasure to watch.

Go see this movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Cons:
    A ****ed up bit which had the audience in knots, because men being sexually violated is hilarious, seemingly.

Colin Farrell's stage "Dub" schtick was cringey at times.

Ropey dialogue in places - I'd wager Ritchie wants to be the British Tarantino so bad.

Pros:
    Pretty damn entertaining though.

Some great dialogue along with the clunkier stuff.

Clever, stylish, wonderful soundtrack, and of course a dynamite cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭ Lilah Warm Cove

Ah balls there WAS a thread for this! :eek::pac:

I enjoyed it, was decent film, I liked Hugh Grant in it, very different from his usual films. Didn't think much of Colin Farrell, seemed to be phoning it in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

phoning it it me hole , he was great a proper nut bag , maybe you don't like him ? I enjoyed it alot esp Hugh Grant having a sly **** into a hanky:pac:

Advertisement