Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Cloete is brainless. Have seen nothing this season that says he should be on any big game squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eod100 wrote: »
    Don't think even most optimistic supporters expected winning anything this season, but not getting out of group in Europe or losing in qfs would not be great. All to play for next weekend but need huge performance

I didn't expect to get out of the group in Europe, from when the draw was made, but thought (and still think despite tonight) we can do well in the Pro14.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Say what you like, but PoM is no longer effective at all. Single digit tackles AND the Ulster 9 had fast ball all night.

Say what you like, but PoM is no longer effective at all. Single digit tackles AND the Ulster 9 had fast ball all night.

Hard to disagree, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I didn't expect to get out of the group in Europe, from when the draw was made, but thought (and still think despite tonight) we can do well in the Pro14.

Ideally we would be topping group and getting home semi in Pro14. We will slip from 1st to 3rd if Edinburgh beat Kings tomorrow (which they surely will). Its a very tight group but lot of rugby still to be played between now and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

As Lions and leaders in those teams, Henderson was way more effective and influential than POM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Munster continue like this!! JVG must be fired! He is certainly no Rassie. I think he's in over his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Munster continue like this!! JVG must be fired! He is certainly no Rassie. I think he's in over his head.
    he isnt Rassie but firing him? When? Munster need to totally change how they approach games.
    I wouldnt say he's over his head at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Right then a simple task of winning in Paris to save our European season

Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Holland, POM, JOD, Stander, Murray, Carbery, Earls, Scannell, Farrell, Conway*, Haley

A lot more bulk with Kleyn, Stander and Farrell coming back into the team

The team largely picks itself, perhaps questions over the fitness of Conway, Id play Daly in his place

Whycherlry went off early last night too, might be light on locks for the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/report/report-munster-lose-in-belfast/

Niall Scannell picked up a knock last night, with Marshall and KO'B already injured, Barron could be starting in Paris next week

Hes made 5 appearances this year for a grand total of 34 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

You could do a lot worse than try JJ in first centre for the game. Scannell is just too limited and predictable to get the back line creating holes for support runners to get through. JJ has the ability to make half breaks and he could be the answer to a stalling back line attack stemming from first centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

he isnt Rassie but firing him? When? Munster need to totally change how they approach games.
    I wouldnt say he's over his head at all.

They are very poor right now! They look disjointed and well, poorly coached!
    If they turn it around then fine. But if this continues...he should be sacked, imo
    Too much talent in the squad for such a poor last 6 weeks.

Saracens beat Worcester 62-5 today, Ospreys lose to Dragons 25-18. 5 points for Saracens vs Ospreys was likely a foregone conclusion anyways, but could put 40/50 on them on current form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Granny15 wrote: »
    You could do a lot worse than try JJ in first centre for the game. Scannell is just too limited and predictable to get the back line creating holes for support runners to get through. JJ has the ability to make half breaks and he could be the answer to a stalling back line attack stemming from first centre

Absolute bollocks from the Scannell point, mind I've always been an advocate for playing JJ at 15. He's far better there in my opinion at least. The problem with that is he would be replacing Haley who's been playing very well.

Scannell can do all the things above - he's just fulfilling a Henshaw role of running head first into the guy in front of him off first phase - I guarantee JJ would also do that if also deployed at 12.

Assume Munster and Saracens will both get 5 points vs Ospreys, it will be Saracens 15, Munster 16.

If Racing beat us on Sunday, they will top the group with 21/22 with a game in hand. Lose and if they beat Saracens, they top group.

Saracens can get to max of 20 with 2 tbp wins, meaning 9 points wouldn't be enough for Munster to top group on head to head. If Saracens don't beat Racing with a tbp they would be 19, Munster with tbp win vs Ospreys and win v Racing would be 20.

Doesn't look like 16 would be enough for 2nd place, 17 maybe but then depends on finishing in other groups.

TL, DR: Really need a win vs Racing. Need Saracens to beat Racing without a tbp to have hope of topping group. All to play for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Right then a simple task of winning in Paris to save our European season

Killer, Scannell, Ryan, Kleyn, Holland, POM, JOD, Stander, Murray, Carbery, Earls, Scannell, Farrell, Conway*, Haley

A lot more bulk with Kleyn, Stander and Farrell coming back into the team

The team largely picks itself, perhaps questions over the fitness of Conway, Id play Daly in his place

Whycherlry went off early last night too, might be light on locks for the bench

Were really stuck for a good openside. Teams can go through long multi-phase attacks with ease. Is Hodnett anywhere near making the breakthrough at senior level?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Brand new coaching ticket playing a very different style of rugby still bedding in. Calling for coach's head at this early juncture is nonsense.

We'll be a different team with ball carriers like CJ, Killer, Kleyn, Farrell starting.

Massive ask mind, but I'm expecting a much improved performance on last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

leakyboots wrote: »
    Brand new coaching ticket playing a very different style of rugby still bedding in. Calling for coach's head at this early juncture is nonsense.

We'll be a different team with ball carriers like CJ, Killer, Kleyn, Farrell starting.

Massive ask mind, but I'm expecting a much improved performance on last night.

JVG has been here for 2 years. Whatever about larkham and rowntree I am struggling to see any improvement from the head coach

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Biggest problem for Paris could be having to start Barron if Scannell is injured. O'Byrne and Marshall already injured.

Looked like Zebo came off early in match today due to injury. Not sure how serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Absolute bollocks from the Scannell point, mind I've always been an advocate for playing JJ at 15. He's far better there in my opinion at least. The problem with that is he would be replacing Haley who's been playing very well.

JJ was a disaster the last time he played fullback for us which was against Leinster. Leinster spent the evenings sending up Garryowens at JJ and Adam Byrne had a field day plucking them out of the sky over his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

redved wrote: »
    JVG has been here for 2 years. Whatever about larkham and rowntree I am struggling to see any improvement from the head coach

How the head coach performs is dependent on the assistant coaches. You've got to look at them as a single unit. This season is a dud, like 2015/16 was for Leinster. Wait and see how they go next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

molloyjh wrote: »
    How the head coach performs is dependent on the assistant coaches. You've got to look at them as a single unit. This season is a dud, like 2015/16 was for Leinster. Wait and see how they go next season.

Leinster lost 5 out of their 6 pool games that season which was Leo's first in charge. That wouldn't be acceptable for any Munster coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

So what happens next year if larkham or rowntree move on, does the clock reset again?

redved wrote: »
    So what happens next year if larkham or rowntree move on, does the clock reset again?

That depends on why they move on. If it's because things simply arent working then no. If it's because they are getting the call from their home nation to coach their national team then maybe. It's okay to be pragmatic about these things, we dont have to look to point fingers and hot take all the time.

Think it's a bit early to write off the season just yet. A lot will be decided by Racing result whether we make it to the qfs or beyond.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think it's a bit early to write off the season just yet. A lot will be decided by Racing result whether we make it to the qfs or beyond.

Munster will not win in Paris unless Racing fail miserably to turn up. Racing should win fairly comfortably. There is nothing I have seen all season to suggest the result will go any other way. And the whole "ah but its Munster" schtick wore thin a long while ago now.

Munster will not win in Paris unless Racing fail miserably to turn up. Racing should win fairly comfortably. There is nothing I have seen all season to suggest the result will go any other way. And the whole "ah but its Munster" schtick wore thin a long while ago now.

I never said it's "ah but its Munster", I'm just not willing to write them off 8 days before kick-off. Upsets can and do happen in sport, that's half the joy of it. Result won't be decided til 5pm on Sunday

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Van Graan is a complete spoofer. Even with a new coaching ticket you should be seeing some improvements. Munster’s attack is still stagnant and their forward play has got worse.

There is no way a team with Rowntree and Larkham should be performing this poorly with what looks like a very limited game plan. He’s been in charge since 2017, and every year Munster have gone backwards.

• Advertisement

Scannell can do all the things above - he's just fulfilling a Henshaw role of running head first into the guy in front of him off first phase - I guarantee JJ would also do that if also deployed at 12.

This re Scannell!

Advertisement