Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollystown closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Ex Hollystown member here! Carr golf didn’t seem to have any interest in the coarse. It had deteriorated a lot in the last 2 years. There was an offer from Carr golf to join there other managed courses at a discount. I don’t think many took up their offer as there was a lot of anamosity towards them.
    Where the members went . I think about 80 went to corrstown. I went to St Margaret’s with about another 20. The ladies club moved to st Margaret’s about 30.and the rest are scattered around all the north co Dublin/ Meath clubs.
    A very sad day Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Strange from Carr golf - I thought they were generally very good wherever they went. Especially on course conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

Nedser101 wrote:
    Ex Hollystown member here! Carr golf didn’t seem to have any interest in the coarse. It had deteriorated a lot in the last 2 years. There was an offer from Carr golf to join there other managed courses at a discount. I don’t think many took up their offer as there was a lot of anamosity towards them. Where the members went . I think about 80 went to corrstown. I went to St Margaret’s with about another 20. The ladies club moved to st Margaret’s about 30.and the rest are scattered around all the north co Dublin/ Meath clubs. A very sad day Tuesday!

Was Castleknock offered at a reduced rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Was Castleknock offered at a reduced rate?

Yes Castleknock was offered at a reduced rate of €1600
    Based on 01/01/2020 - 31/03/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Hollystown is a big loss in my view, it was a decent course a few years ago and Dublin lacks the under 1k golf membership for those of us who want to play but aren't willing to pay 1200+ to play golf, I know there's always Elmgreen......moving on.
    It was always a friendly course with nice people, it definitely lacked the snooty element which is in every course, or maybe I didn't see it in my visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Hollystown is a big loss in my view, it was a decent course a few years ago and Dublin lacks the under 1k golf membership for those of us who want to play but aren't willing to pay 1200+ to play golf, I know there's always Elmgreen......moving on.
    It was always a friendly course with nice people, it definitely lacked the snooty element which is in every course, or maybe I didn't see it in my visits.

Have you actually played Elmgreen since CARR took it over?

gypsy79 wrote: »

Reputations last a long time! Corballis had 3 holes which it replaced about 12 years ago. Apparently they were terrible, not worth playing. Now when people play the course they talk about the weak "non links" holes. I know full well that they're referring to those holes that are long gone, but they're trying to figure out which holes they are when playing so they can say these are poor golf holes. 15 and 16 generally get blamed, whereas it was a now car park across the road which is where they actually were. Now 15 and 16 aren't the strongest holes in the course, but they're fine. Certainly they don't deserve the criticism they get.

blue note wrote: »
    Reputations last a long time! Corballis had 3 holes which it replaced about 12 years ago. Apparently they were terrible, not worth playing.

They were terrible. I played them in my first attempt to try play golf. They were across the road near where the two weak holes are now.

They were actually very dangerous. If I remember correctly one of them was actually very tough with a dog leg in a very usual place that nearly required it to be played as a par 5. They weren't links and I think actually got very wet!

No I can't say I have. Has it, and to say something controversial, the clientele, improved?

No I can't say I have. Has it, and to say something controversial, the clientele, improved?

Immeasurably. As someone who used it before I know what you are talking about. There are no walk ups anymore.

I think most of that type of clientele have moved to Silogue which subsequently has dis-improved immeasurably in condition too. Having a good operator running your course is key!!

Carr run a tight ship and it is in their interest too. They get all the gains in the agreement they have reached with the council

• Advertisement

Immeasurably. As someone who used it before I know what you are talking about. There are no walk ups anymore.

I think most of that type of clientele have moved to Silogue which subsequently has dis-improved immeasurably in condition too. Having a good operator running your course is key!!

Carr run a tight ship and it is in their interest too. They get all the gains in the agreement they have reached with the council

Good to hear, I am still traumatised by playing behind a topless 3-ball on a roasting hot summers day, at least one of which had no business having his top off anywhere in public let alone a golf course!

The course was completely hacked up and with pitch marks, un-raked bunkers, etc everywhere. I never went back.

Sounds like it might be worth another try.

Am I right in thinking they've changed the course a bit in the last few years? I last played it at least 5 years ago. I was used to really poor conditions there to be honest, but the greens and fairways were terrific that day. Think Carr golf had it at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Never was a huge fan of the course but sad to see Hollystown close. During a time when I wasn’t a member anywhere, it was always handy to get a game at a decent timeslot on weekend, due to 27 hole set up. Also had a couple of lessons from Joe there and found him very good. Hope he finds himself another gig.

Also in a general point, this type of courses are needed to get people into the game. Places where you can play and learn for a reasonable amount. The less public style courses like Hollystown/Elm Green etc., there worse it is for the sport in general.

Am I right in thinking they've changed the course a bit in the last few years? I last played it at least 5 years ago. I was used to really poor conditions there to be honest, but the greens and fairways were terrific that day. Think Carr golf had it at that stage.

They invested 500k when they signed the deal with the council. Huge improvement immediately. They lengthened the first.

Use of two mats in winter (one all year round). There are plans to build new tee box that would remove that mat and improve 8 and 11!

The greens are the part that makes the course so tough. They are lightening in the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Also had a couple of lessons from Joe there and found him very good. Hope he finds himself another gig..

Joe is working in Roganstown. Nice addition to the club.

Also in a general point, this type of courses are needed to get people into the game. Places where you can play and learn for a reasonable amount. The less public style courses like Hollystown/Elm Green etc., there worse it is for the sport in general.

100%, plenty of people are time poor and only want to play a couple of times a month also, Hollystown did this perfectly as I never heard anybody not getting on the timesheet.

Also, not everybody wants to pony up 1600 quid a year to play golf, these courses were by no means perfect but they are a perfect intro to the game at low cost.

It is a shame, and whats even worse is that it is being sold for housing in a part of the city with very poor links to the city, but that is an argument for another thread.

Never was a huge fan of the course but sad to see Hollystown close. During a time when I wasn’t a member anywhere, it was always handy to get a game at a decent timeslot on weekend, due to 27 hole set up. Also had a couple of lessons from Joe there and found him very good. Hope he finds himself another gig.

I couldn't agree with this more btw. I think we went from 280 to 430 courses from the early 90s to late 00s. Loads of these courses were high end - if you look at the top 50 parkland courses, how many were built in this timeframe? The problem now is there are too many courses and some will have to close. My money is on the likes of hollystown and deer park in howth, bodenstown in kildare, etc. It's going to make golf far less accessible to people and damage the game overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Before they built all the courses golf was for the rich and older generations.
    Now it's much more available and affordable to everyone.
    We have been talking about courses closing since 2008 and at this stage there are fewer than 10 or so closed as far as I can make out.
    Membership may be dropping but the number of golfers who pay green fees and play in societies has risen.
    Models may have to change but for the most part I think there will be very few closures going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

100%, plenty of people are time poor and only want to play a couple of times a month also, Hollystown did this perfectly as I never heard anybody not getting on the timesheet.

From a societal point of view though, is it right to tie up tracts of land for golf courses that lie relatively idle and/or underused?

mike12 wrote: »
    Before they built all the courses golf was for the rich and older generations.
    Now it's much more available and affordable to everyone.
    We have been talking about courses closing since 2008 and at this stage there are fewer than 10 or so closed as far as I can make out.
    Membership may be dropping but the number of golfers who pay green fees and play in societies has risen.
    Models may have to change but for the most part I think there will be very few closures going forward.

Ah you haven't needed to be rich to play golf in Ireland for a long time. I think of the older members in my club growing up, very normal people - teachers, guards, postmen, barmen. People with those jobs would struggle to play golf in other countries.

And there aren't many entry level courses around. But now hollystown is gone, I hear deerpark is sold, so I suspect it won't remain accessible to the masses. As the golfing population keeps getting older clubs will feel the pinch more and more, it's not only the recession that was a problem. It'll these types of courses that will be most likely to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Now 15 and 16 aren't the strongest holes in the course, but they're fine. Certainly they don't deserve the criticism they get.

oh no they are not!...... well it is pants season.
    but in all seriousness, they are probably about 2 of the worst holes in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

Seve OB wrote: »
    but in all seriousness, they are probably about 2 of the worst holes in the country.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. You may have a point about 15, but the second shot into 16 requires a fair amount of skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

That's a tiny bit harsh methinx. They are not fantastic, agreed, but they're grand. I'd take par on each every time if ye were to hand it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

they are probably about 2 of the worst holes in the country.

I don't mind them. Nice to be able to open the shoulders for a drive at Corballis. The 18fairway is more dangerous as it's unsighted from the 14tee box.

https://ibb.co/6J9czdc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

15 is a poor hole - it has a small tricked up green which gives it difficulty. 16 though is a tough hole, especially into the wind which requires a really good second shot.

The main criticism for both holes is the danger of them. Having the holes cross is asking for trouble. They would be better of swapping location of 15th Green and 16th Tee box. Or swap the 16th Green with the 15th Tee box and build up some kind of natural border between them. Doubt either is going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

willabur wrote: »
    15 is a poor hole - it has a small tricked up green which gives it difficulty. 16 though is a tough hole, especially into the wind which requires a really good second shot.

The main criticism for both holes is the danger of them. Having the holes cross is asking for trouble. They would be better of swapping location of 15th Green and 16th Tee box. Or swap the 16th Green with the 15th Tee box and build up some kind of natural border between them. Doubt either is going to happen

Played Corballis in late December, and got lucky with the weather. Hadn't played it in years, and I thought the course was great to be honest. Actually forgot how good it is in parts. Hole 3 being the stand out for me.

With regards to 15/16, I agree with some that 15 is weak, but 16 is a smashing hole, the only issue being the criss-cross, but I certainly would not call it weak. They could solve this by moving the 16th green to where the 15th tee box is, and make it a very tough par 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    With regards to 15/16, I agree with some that 15 is weak, but 16 is a smashing hole, the only issue being the criss-cross, but I certainly would not call it weak. They could solve this by moving the 16th green to where the 15th tee box is, and make it a very tough par 4.

We probably need a Corballis thread to be fair.

15 and 16 are fairly well sighted from both tee boxes, I don't feel in much danger when playing it. I'll watch who's about to tee and maybe give them a moment to hit. When it's me teeing off and if there's anyone coming up the other side, I'll give the universal heads-up golf signal (club in the air). It's the 18th fairway that's lethal as it's unsighted from the 14th tee and any pulled shot from the 14th tee usually is not accompanied by a "Fore". I've been on both ends of this.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    We probably need a Corballis thread to be fair.

15 and 16 are fairly well sighted from both tee boxes, I don't feel in much danger when playing it. I'll watch who's about to tee and maybe give them a moment to hit. When it's me teeing off and if there's anyone coming up the other side, I'll give the universal heads-up golf signal (club in the air). It's the 18th fairway that's lethal as it's unsighted from the 14th tee and any pulled shot from the 14th tee usually is not accompanied by a "Fore". I've been on both ends of this.

There are a few dangerous parts on the course. Even the first hole, if someone knocks their tee shot people on 11 can't see them and are likely to hit. I've been around the corner waiting to hit my second on the 3rd hole and had a ball roll up to me. People on the tee can't see me so assume I've moved on. 7th hole you might not see the people on the fairway from the tee. 8th hole the 11th tee box is in my landing zone if I slice a drive. 11th hole I've had people land a ball on the green when I was putting. 14/18 fairways are dangerous. I'll shout, but the ball might still be heading for you. And 15/16 as mentioned above can be dangerous. Particularly my 16th tee shot - people tend to stand on the 15th fairway before the bunker and wait for me to hit. They're watching so it's not too bad, but they're standing just left of my landing zone!

I think it's a great course, but I'm amazed there aren't more accidents there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There is a difference between a bad hole and a dangerous hole that seems to be getting missed on this Hollystown thread...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lets get back op topic guys, Corballis thread can be found here!

Advertisement