Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lidl approved for Wellpark

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

How many Lidl at the moment?

Two? Headford road and Dougiska?

And three Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lidl and Aldi in Oranmore, too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Lidl and Aldi in Oranmore, too

and plans for a new LIDL near Gateway Retails park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

and plans for a new LIDL near Gateway Retails park

Is that under construction already?

• Advertisement

A move that will surprise noone

Planned Lidl for Wellpark being opposed by grocers group

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/planned-lidl-for-wellpark-being-opposed-by-grocers-group/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

A move that will surprise noone

Planned Lidl for Wellpark being opposed by grocers group

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/planned-lidl-for-wellpark-being-opposed-by-grocers-group/

Interesting. Looks like there's a second objection by one other person too.

I think the area is in need of some kind of grocery store though. Everyone I know living in the areas was delighted at the thoughts of Lidl opening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

The Londis /Centra is 2 mins walk from Wellpark + Duggans up road also.. Mervue stores and Joyces very close also!

Wellpark Very busy already, What would up to 100 extra cars traffic do ????:eek: Has this been considered Properly?? I guess GCC could be an overspill carpark

youngrun wrote: »
    The Londis /Centra is 2 mins walk from Wellpark + Duggans up road also.. Mervue stores and Joyces very close also!

Wellpark Very busy already, What would up to 100 extra cars traffic do ????:eek: Has this been considered Properly?? I guess GCC could be an overspill carpark

I'd count them more as convenience stores, but that's just my own classification :pac:
    Ya the car park there seems to always be busy these days. It's weird because I seem to remember it usually being quiet a few years ago when more of the units were actually open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

xckjoo wrote: »
    I'd count them more as convenience stores, but that's just my own classification :pac:
    Ya the car park there seems to always be busy these days. It's weird because I seem to remember it usually being quiet a few years ago when more of the units were actually open.

Definitely will be an issue traffic wise
    I think everyone over 16 has a car in Galway these days, Not so long since the mid 90s when the entire student population in UCG had 5 cars between them all...:D

• Advertisement

youngrun wrote: »
    Definitely will be an issue traffic wise
    I think everyone over 16 has a car in Galway these days, Not so long since the mid 90s when the entire student population in UCG had 5 cars between them all...:D
    And every Friday half the Tuam road would be covered in students trying to hitch-hike home for the weekend! Maybe we just need to bring hitch-hiking back. Someone invent an app

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Anyone know the current status for the Lidl that is due to be beside the Aldi in the gateway retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

It's crazy to have a supermarket chain going into Wellpark area .
    Traffic is nuts at times around there .
    There are enough supermarkets in galway city as is .
    Can you imagine what traffic will be like when the " crown plaza " is up and running in Mervue ????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

xckjoo wrote: »

Expensive ones at that.

Lots will be in walking distance from Lidl there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Any movement on this? The last news was in August that planning permission was granted. Do we have an ETA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

McGiver wrote: »
    Any movement on this? The last news was in August that planning permission was granted. Do we have an ETA?

From the outside, does not look like any work started, all the old PC World signage still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

To echo comments above, I don't think it's a suitable site for a large supermarket. The carpark is pretty much at capacity already.
    It is going to be under huge pressure adding the supermarket on to it.

I take the point that there are lots of houses around there and may be mainly pedestrian traffic. But still, adding 200/250 (guesstimate) extra cars per day to that retail park will be chaotic.

Is it possible that people are parking in that car park and going elsewhere i.e. business park on Moneenageisha Hill or getting the bus into town?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Bredabe

aw wrote: »
    To echo comments above, I don't think it's a suitable site for a large supermarket. The carpark is pretty much at capacity already.
    It is going to be under huge pressure adding the supermarket on to it.

I take the point that there are lots of houses around there and may be mainly pedestrian traffic. But still, adding 200/250 (guesstimate) extra cars per day to that retail park will be chaotic.

Is it possible that people are parking in that car park and going elsewhere i.e. business park on Moneenageisha Hill or getting the bus into town?
    Afaik, it was mentioned in the PP, that the store develope a car park facility, I assume that meant underground.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Afaik, it was mentioned in the PP, that the store develope a car park facility, I assume that meant underground.

Sort of.

They had to install a lift to the car park. It's going to take some space off Petworld to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Can't wait for the cars abandoned outside the Lidl entrance while people are just popping in to get a few bits. It's gonna be a nightmare trying to get in and out of the retail centre and finding parking for the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tangent point but did anyone move into i102-104s old studios?

flazio wrote: »
    Tangent point but did anyone move into i102-104s old studios?

Eye cinema was looking to take over that space to add more screens but objections from IMC/Omniplex put an end to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

What's the panic, there's a lidl at argos and damn all parking and it works fine.

Advertisement