Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Night driving

• 28-12-2019 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Not for the first time, last night while driving across the country, about 1 in 20 drivers coming towards me decided that I don't need the use of my eyes so don't bother dipping their beams until they're right on top of me. I'd say a far higher number also drive with the front fogs on, also not pleasant to drive towards. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this? Anyone ever pulled by the cops for doing it?
    I often hear of single vehicle accidents but I'm wondering how many have been blinded by another vehicle before crashing....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's especially bad on motorways or DC's where they won't dip when meeting oncoming traffic, they must think that their main beams only light up half the road.

The Gardaí don't enforce any of our traffic laws bar DUI and speeding. So you have the full gambit from ninja's (a speciality of cars with DRLs from the back at night) to cyclops to cross eyed/inappropriate bulbs/lights for the vehicle on our roads at night.

I doubt many of our single vehicle crashes are caused by 3rd parties

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was driving up the M8 last night and as well as the ones who dipped only after I lit them up again too, you have the ones who refuse to dip at all.

If the latter type are on your side of the road it means you either get blinded too as oncoming traffic flash them, or you find yourself being blinded from behind after you pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the amount of people who dont touch their indicators while driving through a roundabout is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’ve been in a car when a cop told the driver to turn off fog lights when stopped at a checkpoint. The irony was that it was actually foggy on that occasion.

The same driver always has front fog lights on and has never been stopped.
    It is a particular bug bear of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

the amount of people who dont touch their indicators while driving through a roundabout is fascinating.

If driving straight through a roundabout, there's no requirement to use an indicator, though it may be prudent to use the left indicator before exiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Or worse again have it indicticating the wrong direction. Had it a while back where three cars in a row were indicating to go around when all three were taking the exit to my right. Old lad yesterday straight onto the roundabout into my path looking straight ahead- not a hint of a sideways look - causing me to brake. Lack of enforcement is letting these numpties continue in their ****ty habits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Darc19 wrote: »
    If driving straight through a roundabout, there's no requirement to use an indicator, though it may be prudent to use the left indicator before exiting.

To be honest I dont care if others dont use it. They are in the roundabout, they've right of way. I'll wait until it's clear enough to proceed, regardless of indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Moshman

To be honest I dont care if others dont use it. They are in the roundabout, they've right of way. I'll wait until it's clear enough to proceed, regardless of indicators.

It's a case of having to wait for all clear, you can't take the chance of pulling out or you'll eventually come unstuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

From my experience far more than 1 in 20 drivers don't dip their lights, it's more like 10 in 20. Whoever invented Xenon headlights for motor vehicles should have a special place reserved in hell where they are forced to watch oxyacetylene welding without safety goggles for all eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Basically every other driver on the road is a prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Emme wrote: »
    From my experience far more than 1 in 20 drivers don't dip their lights, it's more like 10 in 20. Whoever invented Xenon headlights for motor vehicles should have a special place reserved in hell where they are forced to watch oxyacetylene welding without safety goggles for all eternity.

It's even worse in high vehicles as you sit well above the concrete barrier and there is nothing blocking the line of sight to full beams.

In my experience maybe half of them will dip when flashed, sometimes only after repeated flashes, the rest just carry on blinding with impunity.

Funnily enough a pal of mine has a much better hit rate with these morons, I'm guessing it has something to do with the rows of nightburners affixed above and below the windscreen of his DAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

Idiot's installing eBay Xenons in car not designed from them are vast majority the problem, not the factory installed options.

In some cases, particular on bumpy country roads a night, OEM Xenons can be blinding. They best way to combat this is to ensure your windscreen is perfectly clean, you have good wipers, and good washer fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Love driving at night.
    Much safer and quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

fav saying sitting beside wife when driving at night.....blind that c.nt

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had a taxi home on the 27th who had full beams on the entire dual carraigeway distance. Didn't feel like telling him the car was stickily warm let alone that he was driving like a twat though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Darc19 wrote: »

"Rules" of the road say otherwise. Indicate left after you pass the exit before the one you are taking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

.G. wrote: »
    "Rules" of the road say otherwise. Indicate left after you pass the exit before the one you are taking.

So? It's just a guidebook on road etiquette.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So? It's just a guidebook on road etiquette.
    Pretty much. The latest edition, like previous editions contains multiple errors and contradictions so cannot be used as a bible.
    It is the RSA's interpretation of the laws: it is not the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

They should change its name then. Rules are different to guidelines.

Yeah, definitely depends on where you're driving. Was on rural roads in Leitrim last night and just under 1/2 didn't dip until I was right on top of them flashing like mad. Even in lit up villages they don't dip. Big suvs with fogs on also very common up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

At least in a motor vehicle you can give a hint by flashing your own lights. When cycling there is no way of sending a signal to the motorist blinding you. I'd say 1 in 2 motorists don't dip for cyclists.

(Ironically though, many dip when approaching a cyclist from behind. I don't know why as their full beams are beneficial for a cyclist - lighting up the road ahead way better than any cycle lights).

At least in a motor vehicle you can give a hint by flashing your own lights. When cycling there is no way of sending a signal to the motorist blinding you. I'd say 1 in 2 motorists don't dip for cyclists.

(Ironically though, many dip when approaching a cyclist from behind. I don't know why as their full beams are beneficial for a cyclist - lighting up the road ahead way better than any cycle lights).

Yeah, pedestrians and cyclists particularly at risk of going into a ditch on rural roads after being blinded. Don't know if there's an answer, cops don't appear to enforce (probably too busy trying to catch drink drivers) Front fogs in the country is a scurge also....

Don't know why but while driving for about an hour on country roads around Enniskillen was blinded by only one car. Crossed the border back to the Republic and as usual blinded by full beams and front fogs by roughly 40%. Hate banging on but do these guys want us all driving around blinding each other? Is there more enforcement in N.I.?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

40%? you sure?
    maybe it's just cavan drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Idiot's installing eBay Xenons in car not designed from them are vast majority the problem, not the factory installed options.

In some cases, particular on bumpy country roads a night, OEM Xenons can be blinding. They best way to combat this is to ensure your windscreen is perfectly clean, you have good wipers, and good washer fluid.

Tbh I don't think that's the case any longer.

Personally noticed various brand new vehicles from Mercedes down to Skoda's straight out of the show room seem to have absolutely abysmal lights for other road users. Absolutely superb for the driver but they blind anyone else. No idea what or why this but the light design is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

40%? you sure?
    maybe it's just cavan drivers.

I have never seen Gardaí checking lights, the only thing they seem to do on roads is look for people speeding. Do the PSNI or whoever check drivers for lights over the border?

In my opinion being temporarily blinded by undipped lights can be more dangerous than a speeding motorist whiz past in the lane beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

listermint wrote: »
    Tbh I don't think that's the case any longer.

Personally noticed various brand new vehicles from Mercedes down to Skoda's straight out of the show room seem to have absolutely abysmal lights for other road users. Absolutely superb for the driver but they blind anyone else. No idea what or why this but the light design is shameful.

New LED based lights which as well as being too bright, distractingly colour shift as well depending on angle and distance.

Advertisement