Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Byrne vs Carberry

Options
  • 01-01-2020 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Who'll take over from Sexton now? Carberry still has more ball in hand talent I think but Byrne's game management is getting very good. For me it's Byrne currently, hes able to move the game around at his place and seems to decide when to strike with the backs well. Carberry has more raw ability and that might be needed at the top level but given the importance of the 10 in leading I think he needs to develope more. Sexton won't be around much longer I fear. He doesn't have the same diamond mentality and it could be the car opposition will be able to get in it more often. I'd be looking to have him replaced for the 2021 six nation's as starter.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

These are not the droids your looking for.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Billy Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Whoever gets the nod is only keeping the jersey warm until Harry Byrne is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ian Madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Carbery hasn't played yet this season so let's see how he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yeah I don't think either of these men will have the kind of 10 year dominant hold that the likes of ROG and Sexton had. Partly because they'll surely face more competition (from actors we don't know yet) but partly because I think Carbery may well end up utilised elsewhere and Byrne seems to have a younger, better, brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Then we can do Byrne vs Byrne threads instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That's the dream

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Byrne vs Byrne vs Burn(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Plan for Sexton to be the main guy so for the next 2 six nations? I mean we only have 4 starting positions around the country so whoever is being earmarked will need one if those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Plan for Sexton to be the main guy so for the next 2 six nations? I mean we only have 4 starting positions around the country so whoever is being earmarked will need one if those.

Yes. None of the others are likely to be at his level for a while...... if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's the thing. Sexton isn't going anywhere for now. People have been anointing his replacement for about two years now. The fact that Farrell called him into his squad despite suffering a ligament injury means he's a significant part of the plan for 2020.

It's still all playing for the 22 jersey. In that regards, Carbery is still the obvious choice and, in conjunction with that, remains the front runner for the 10 jersey eventually given he'll automatically get more opportunities than the others from the bench.

If Sexton isn't available for the 6N opener, that gives a different slant on it. I think Carbery is still the most likely although on form, Byrne and Burns have aggressively pushed themselves into the conversation. Burns will be severely hampered by the fact that he isn't kicking at goal for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Buer wrote: »
    Burns will be severely hampered by the fact that he isn't kicking at goal for Ulster.

Maybe Cooney will be taking Ireland’s kicks too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Maybe Cooney will be taking Ireland’s kicks too
    Carberry at 15. Stockdale and Larmour on the wings.
    Frawley at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭LeBash

Byrne vs Byrne vs Burn(s)

Are saying Byrne or Boo-uhrs?

Advertisement