Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have health insurance?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

seamus wrote: »
    Dental generally isn't included unless you go all-in.

There are 302 plans, but this is mainly because all of the insurers are legally obliged to allow you to buy every plan they offer. So if they have a plan aimed at corporate group schemes, they are legally required to allow you to buy that plan as an individual. That's why you'll see lots of plans with codes for names, like "PMI 35 17". These are corporate group plans, but you can buy them for yourself.

It comes across as an insanely confusing maze, but it's nothing like the US.

The cover that you need to prioritise depends on your point in life and how often you expect to use services. For example, if you're expecting to have (more) kids? Make sure you've got a plan loaded up on maternity benefits. Then change plan when you're done with your kids.

In general, the primary thing you buy insurance for is to bypass the public waiting lists for non-urgent procedures. Whatever you buy, the absolute minimum it should have is full cover for semi-private rooms in private hospitals.

Day-to-day cover is something that you can ignore when you're young (unless you see the doctor a lot), and then start ramping up as you get beyond 35. But if you have kids under 12, you want day-to-day cover.

If you do a lot of sport (or have done a lot of sport in your youth), look for a plan with good orthapaedic cover.

If you have a family history of heart problems, then look for something that includes decent cardiac care.

Ignore all of the other benefits that you don't care about, focus on the ones you do, and it'll be easier to sift through the insurance plans.

Remember of course that you buy insurance to cover unforeseen events. So in general the most comprehensive plan you can afford is best. But ensure that you prioritise the cover you most expect to need.

Ah thanks a million, that's so helpful! I actually came off that website and have started looking at the individual companies. I still couldn't see how to effectively compare on the hia site.

We're done having children, and though I left off selecting maternity care, it still seems to feature heavily in the plans it was recommending to me (VHI). Is that because she's still in childbearing years? I'm hoping to find a plan that covers mainly preventative - vaccines, checkups, the odd illness and gp visit, and preventative dental (cleanings, xrays, sealants). Mental health would be nice, but I'm not seeing regular maintenance such as therapists/counseling - only inpatient care or help with addictions.
    Haven't seen anything detailing costs of prescriptions or claiming back for taxes.
    Any advice on the excess question?
    I've quite a bit of experience with choosing healthcare in the states and believe it or not it was FAR easier than this is proving to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

My job pay for mine and my family’s, it’s a really valuable perk one I’m grateful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Cant afford it. Surprised to read a comment above about some people with a medical card also have private health insurance. Surely they shouldn't have a medical card then?

Some might have medical card because of their illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

meeeeh wrote: »
    Some might have medical card because of their illness.

Or over a certain age , for example my elderly mum has a medical card and still hold on to her insurance

Oh- and in the US they now can't dock you for pre-existing conditions, lack of previous health care, nor are there waiting lists. Not sure our system here is better, tbh. Yes costs especially without insurance in the states is high and causes a huge amount of health related bankruptcy, but if you can't pay a 60k bill there and can't pay a 5-10k bill here for a similar procedure, what's the difference really if all of it is unaffordable? The monthly rates for health insurance are also similar here vs there. Copays (or excess here) is actually cheaper in the US with insurance, is what I'm seeing so far... Ireland seems dangerously close to being as bad if not worse in some ways as the US in regards to cost of healthcare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m one of those people. I suffer from a chronic illness and I can’t risk waiting for months to years on a public list when I’m not well. The medical card is not much help for going into hospital. I do appreciate some people just don’t have the money but for me it’s the last thing I’ll give up

I was refused for a Medical card - despite the fact that I am the sole earner in the house and and living a life long long incurable and progressive chronic illness.

Apparently I am too well paid? despite the fact that I have substantial financial commitments, eg mortgage & two kids in collage and take nothing from the Public health system

Sorry to hear that, MyAccount. We definitely need to sort out health care in this country. If the HSE is taxpayer funded, why is there even this private health insurance system that really isn't for perks? It sounds like a complete necessity. How much money are insurance companies earning in profit every year benefitting off this? Years ago my wife had to fight (an Irish) insurance company to reimburse the costs of childbirth classes that she confirmed were covered before she took them. It took absolute months and letters back and forth involving the practitioner before they were finally MOSTLY reimbursed. The stories I'm reading here and hearing about in real life could be coming from the US, yet we always say what a shambles their system is... we need elected leaders who work for the people and not for corporate profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

MyAccount wrote: »
    I was refused for a Medical card - despite the fact that I am the sole earner in the house and and living a life long long incurable and progressive chronic illness.

Apparently I am too well paid? despite the fact that I have substantial financial commitments, eg mortgage & two kids in collage and take nothing from the Public health system

They sent me a report to be completed by my GP detailing my condition abd all the medication I take. This finally got them to sign off on it.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am so glad I kept ours going through thick and thin . Today I walked into Affidea clinic and got seen and prescription given and home within and hour . I think I would have curled up and died in a crowded A and E today

You can go there without health insurance.
    I seen a gp, got an x-ray and prescription for 250e cash there a month ago .

You can go there without health insurance.
    I seen a gp, got an x-ray and prescription for 250e cash there a month ago .

Yea I know you can . I paid €75 for the same with Laya cover .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stateofyou wrote: »
    We're done having children, and though I left off selecting maternity care, it still seems to feature heavily in the plans it was recommending to me (VHI). Is that because she's still in childbearing years?
    That's most likely because it's just part of the package. Don't try to find a plan that explictly doesn't have maternity care. My parents are in their 70s and their plans have maternity care :D

But when you're looking at the benefits, just ignore what you don't need.
    I'm hoping to find a plan that covers mainly preventative - vaccines, checkups, the odd illness and gp visit, and preventative dental (cleanings, xrays, sealants). Mental health would be nice, but I'm not seeing regular maintenance such as therapists/counseling - only inpatient care or help with addictions.
    You're looking for day-to-day stuff then. A dental plan will likely be an entire other thing.
    A lot of mental health will be covered in outpatient or day-to-day care.
    Haven't seen anything detailing costs of prescriptions or claiming back for taxes.
    Prescription costs are the same regardless. You don't get preferential or different costs depending on whether you're insured.

Medical card holders can get cheaper prescriptions, but the rest of us don't.

This area is probably the most complicated part of it. Basically you can claim back from your insurer and from the tax man. What you claim from the tax man is whatever your insurer didn't cover.

So imagine, for example, your plan gives you back €30 for every GP visit, and your GP visit is €50. You can get €30 from your insurer, and then claim tax relief on the €20 left over.

The easiest way to do this is just send all of your medical expenses to your insurer. If they don't cover it, they'll just send it back to you and then you keep it in a box and claim tax relief at the end of the year.
    Up to you, really. The question is whether a sudden €600 bill for a hospital stay would be difficult for you financially. Nearly all of the plans come with at least a €1 excess per claim. This is for some legal reason which I've forgotten.
    but if you can't pay a 60k bill there and can't pay a 5-10k bill here for a similar procedure, what's the difference really if all of it is unaffordable?
    Realistically here it'll never get to that point unless you choose for it to happen. If you enter a hospital with no insurance cover, then you'll be covered by the state. If you attend a private hospital in an emergency, they will treat you and stabilise you before transferring you to a public hospital, and it'll all be covered by the state.

In the rare event that you do end up with a personal bill for €10k that you can't pay, it will likely be written off before it gets anywhere near a court.
    The monthly rates for health insurance are also similar here vs there.
    You are aware that the prices on the HIA website are per year, and not per month? The average monthly rate for health cover in the US is the same as the yearly price of a mid-tier Irish insurance policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't have it. Couldn't afford it when I was younger and didn't need it anyway as I rarely get more than a cold once or twice a year.

In my mid-40s now though and had a look at the HIA site. Aside from the dozens of plans, I'd have no notion what I'd even need as, because I rarely set foot in a hospital or GP's office, I wouldn't know the terminology.

Are there brokers for this stuff, the same way as you'd get for car insurance? Also how much extra is this "you're old!" loading that they used to scare everyone into taking out cover a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Ah thanks a million, that's so helpful! I actually came off that website and have started looking at the individual companies. I still couldn't see how to effectively compare on the hia site.

We're done having children, and though I left off selecting maternity care, it still seems to feature heavily in the plans it was recommending to me (VHI). Is that because she's still in childbearing years? I'm hoping to find a plan that covers mainly preventative - vaccines, checkups, the odd illness and gp visit, and preventative dental (cleanings, xrays, sealants). Mental health would be nice, but I'm not seeing regular maintenance such as therapists/counseling - only inpatient care or help with addictions.
    I've quite a bit of experience with choosing healthcare in the states and believe it or not it was FAR easier than this is proving to be!

Bear in mind a couple of things:

1. No such thing as a copay on prescriptions - you pay the full amount privately up to a limit of €124 per month. IIRC, that's tax deductible at 20%, so effective maximum cost per month is €99.20. After €124 per month, the rest is covered under the drugs payment scheme.

2. Mental health inpatient treatment must be covered by all schemes. Outpatient counselling usually covered (e.g. 50% of costs) under day to day coverage.

3. Some plans give half the cost of annual dental checkup back.

4. Vaccines? How many do you need? These are only a few quid each and typically only need tetanus booster every 10 years.

5. Semi-private vs private rooms: private room is a room to yourself. Semi-private has technically no more than 5 beds, although in practice I've noticed most have 6 or 7...

Have a look at the actual cost of typical procedures here - your GP costs €50-€60 per visit, A&E about €120, prescription costs always capped. I don't think your day to day expenses will cost as much as you're expecting.

A good quality plan will set you back about €1200 -€1400 per annum per person. That will cover private room in private hospitsl (incl. High tech hospitals for cardiac and orthopaedic procedures) with low excess, plus 50% back on day to day expenses. If you want an example plan, have a look at Laya's Connect Simplicity on the HIA comparison tool. I only mention this because I was looking at it recently so know it's high day to day coverage, plus gives great private inpatient coverage, so would be a good start to see if it's too much or too little coverage for you, and will bring up similar options.

And if you are prepared to slum it in a semi private room in private hospital you can get one for about 1000 Euro. Private room is probably the most superficial requirement, I would check all other benefits first.

Btw a semi private bed meant that my daughter and I had a three bed room to ourselves when she got her tonsils out. I could sleep in bed besides her.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I had health insurance for years and dropped it on cost grounds. I got caught for multiple sclerosis and my gallbladder when I was uninsured. I was a sorry boy after that! My MS won't be covered for just under 2 years by the VHI. Thankfully nothing really serious has happened with it in the 3 years I have taken up insurance again. I just transfer €25 a week into my credit union account now so the money is there when my policy comes up for renewal.

meeeeh wrote: »
    And if you are prepared to slum it in a semi private room in private hospital you can get one for about 1000 Euro. Private room is probably the most superficial requirement, I would check all other benefits first.

Btw a semi private bed meant that my daughter and I had a three bed room to ourselves when she got her tonsils out. I could sleep in bed besides her.

You were just lucky I am guessing that the other two beds were not occupied . ? Then semi private room is anything from 2 - 6 beds normally

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You were just lucky I am guessing that the other two beds were not occupied . ? Then semi private room is anything from 2 - 6 beds normally

I know. Still I find that private room depends on circumstances. I was in public hospital with my son years ago and when we asked them for private room they told me they keep it for contagious cases and we were put into 4 bed ward. When picking insurance I tend to pay attention to treatments and number of private of hospitals and procedures they cover. I also like cash back on every day treatments but private room and cover for quack treatments are not that important to me.

Appreciate all the advice!

Yep aware of the price breakdown, VHI gave monthly and yearly breakdown quotes. Didn't pay close to the yearly prices here per month over there, maybe it's different in other states. I paid about 250-300 per month for my family when we had health insurance in the US. Choices were usually between 2-3 plans covg options through employer, so the 300+ plans that popped up were a bit daunting. I never went through the "Obamacare" system though so not sure what that was like.
    Vaccines would mainly be the yearly flu jabs, and whatever else is needed as part of the schedule. So with regards to the excess, if a 600 euro payment for a sudden hospital stay would be difficult, is it the higher excess you choose then? I'm not sure I'm understanding that. :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Appreciate all the advice!

Yep aware of the price breakdown, VHI gave monthly and yearly breakdown quotes. Didn't pay close to the yearly prices here per month over there, maybe it's different in other states. I paid about 250-300 per month for my family when we had health insurance in the US. Choices were usually between 2-3 plans covg options through employer, so the 300+ plans that popped up were a bit daunting. I never went through the "Obamacare" system though so not sure what that was like.
    Vaccines would mainly be the yearly flu jabs, and whatever else is needed as part of the schedule. So with regards to the excess, if a 600 euro payment for a sudden hospital stay would be difficult, is it the higher excess you choose then? I'm not sure I'm understanding that. :-s

Excess is the amount you have to pay. If 600 would be difficult, go for a lower excess.

Often you can get discounts on plans if purchasing through employer.

Flu jab is free if you:

are 65 years of age and over
    are pregnant
    are a child or adult with a long-term health condition
    work in healthcare
    are a carer or household contact of anyone at increased medical risk of flu
    live in a nursing home or other long-term care facility
    in regular contact with pigs, poultry or water fowl

Otherwise it's about €20 in a pharmacy. Many employers provide for free to their employees.

All recommended childhood vaccines are free.

Sounds like your employer heavily subsidised your insurance tbh, I had a look at plans there that would result in my coverage and out of pocket expenses being the same as here, and it was $550 per month for me and came with a $1250 deductible (presuming this is the same as an excess). My excess here is about €150 and my total premium is €1200.

Excess is the amount you have to pay. If 600 would be difficult, go for a lower excess.

Often you can get discounts on plans if purchasing through employer.

Flu jab is free if you:

are 65 years of age and over
    are pregnant
    are a child or adult with a long-term health condition
    work in healthcare
    are a carer or household contact of anyone at increased medical risk of flu
    live in a nursing home or other long-term care facility
    in regular contact with pigs, poultry or water fowl

Otherwise it's about €20 in a pharmacy. Many employers provide for free to their employees.

All recommended childhood vaccines are free.

Sounds like your employer heavily subsidised your insurance tbh, I had a look at plans there that would result in my coverage and out of pocket expenses being the same as here, and it was $550 per month for me and came with a $1250 deductible (presuming this is the same as an excess). My excess here is about €150 and my total premium is €1200.

I am just being pedantic but despite the actual vaccine being free unless you have a medical card or GP card you will pay an administration fee . We paid €19 in Mc Cabes pharmacy for ours ( over 65 ) Otherwise the fee is around €25 -30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

€720 is nothing - I pay twice that a year and nothing would make me stop. I’ve seen what good it does.

Giving up your health insurance is a fools game.

It could cost you an awful lot more not to have it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Pooinloo

€720 is nothing - I pay twice that a year and nothing would make me stop. I’ve seen what good it does.

Giving up your health insurance is a fools game.

It could cost you an awful lot more not to have it.

Work covers mine. €1800 each for myself and the woman. Don't know how I got by without it. I can understand why some people are dubious, but getting treatment privately is a pleasure compared to going publicly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have always had health insurance despite growing up with a medical card, because an aunt paid for it. I kept it on once working myself. I have made use of the insurance many times starting when I was 17, as I have a number of health issues. I would not be without insurance and definitely would recommend everyone sign up at least before the age penalties kick in.

However, the private system is not perfect by any means and is also struggling to cope in my experience. I once waited 5 months for an initial private cardiologist appointment on a waiting list in 2 private hospitals (over a decade ago), and last year waited 3 months for another private cardio appointment following admission through A&E for sudden deterioration, and this was on waiting lists for the consultant in 3 hospitals (1 public, 2 private). The public appointment was only 3 weeks after the earliest private one, and before the other private one. This is for a condition for which I take medication daily, and which severely affects my day to day life in my 30s. I have also experienced where the public waiting list was significantly shorter than private in The Coombe. Maybe the top super expensive plans can shortcut the private waiting lists, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bupa

Brushing
    Uninsured
    Patients
    Aside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bupa

Brushing
    Uninsured
    Patients
    Aside

Erm ... what exactly do you expect them to do for people who aren't their customers? Should shops give goods for free to customers who don't pay? How would BUPA etc pay their employees if they didn't generate revenue from their customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

We've got a family plan that covers critical conditions (heart, cancer etc.) in private hospitals and non-critical via immediate access to scans etc. We don't have any gp, physio or dental cover, we pay as you go for those. We don't have any pregnancy etc. as we're over the hill!

Seems the best fit for us at the moment, but it's difficult to know for certain tbh. From talking to the (many) medicos we know they wouldn't be without it. We also know a couple of people who have had immediate access to treatment for non-life threatening problems who would have waited a long time for public care.

When the kids are 18+ we'll probably review.

You should review every couple of years or there is a high chance you are overpaying for your cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MyAccount

Gael23 wrote: »
    They sent me a report to be completed by my GP detailing my condition abd all the medication I take. This finally got them to sign off on it.

Lucky you.

Based on her advice I enclosed a letter from my GP., along with Bank Statements etc etc. with my application for a medical card.

All I got back from the HSE was a "PFO" response to the effect of (and I am paraphrasing here) "your application has been assessed and because your income exceeds the prescribed income threshold your application has been declined". I have to question if my medical circumstances were taken into consideration ?

For the same reasons half of Ireland did, I foolishly overextended myself financially during the good times and if my mortgage provider had not extended my mortgage to my 70th birthday (if i live that long :), or my health holds up that long) I simply don't know how I'd manage financially.

Anyway rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I was considering it for the new year taking out a basic plan, I'm not far off 35 when the loading will kick in and my body has got really tested this year with work stress

I had a private plan 10 years ago before I had to cancel it due to losing my job during the recession, I was paying 40 quid per month then for a decent private plan when now I might not even get for that amount the most basic public plan
    If you wish you can defer starting cover until 35 + number of years of previous cover without penalty.

For example if you had cover from 18 to 25 previously you wouldn't be loaded taking out a policy until you were over 43.

You'd just need to provide evidence of previous cover when signing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I had to get an op on my back. Cost 15k and was very glad I had health insurance. That was 2013 and I’ll keep my insurance going for life. You never know when something unexpected will happen.

Advertisement