Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have health insurance?

Options
  • 28-12-2019 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I’m 25 and have been paying €60 a month for the past year with VHI. That’s €720 a year!! Not gonna bother renewing in the new year as I never used it and in my mind it’s money being wasted away that I could save. 🀷*♂️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Money wasted until you need it. Personally saved me thousands in private care I probably wouldn't have got in the public system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I’m 25 and have been paying €60 a month for the past year with VHI. That’s €720 a year!! Not gonna bother renewing in the new year as I never used it and in my mind it’s money being wasted away
    Missing the point there.

And €720 a year is very little.

That said, you're not in the age group that's likely to get ill. You never know what could happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Kinda need it now.

Or wait and they'll hope you die before they have to see you.

Bastairds.

Lovely system we are developing.

I can't afford mine. Never had it and family history hikes it into the thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Had it from 2001 to 2014, then like an idiot let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

No. The main reason is I became ill before I got it, so I'd have to wait the standard 5 year clearance time for pre-existing conditions for it to be of any use to me. I usually pay full private because waiting times on the public system are mental and I've spent over 10k in the past few years. I'm self-employed and can claim 20% of my medical fees each year, but I'm pretty sure I'd have been better off if I'd had insurance.

I'd think twice before cancelling it, OP, you never know what life will throw your way.

• Advertisement

I do think sometimes what I'd do if someone I love suffered due to this system.

Sometimes I'm amazed how some in that HSE/government are not ended by loved ones.

Dunno how it hasn't happened already.

A lot of deaths over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am so glad I kept ours going through thick and thin . Today I walked into Affidea clinic and got seen and prescription given and home within and hour . I think I would have curled up and died in a crowded A and E today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yes. Pay over 200 a month...wouldn’t wish public on my worst enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Pacifico wrote: »
    Yes. Pay over 200 a month...wouldn’t wish public on my worst enemy

I presume that's for a family?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Have it for the last 3 years and thankfully I haven't needed to use it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have a cousin in senior management in a hospital she use to be a nurse, got talking to her over her Christmas and I asked her is it really getting worse or its being magnified by social media.

Her answer was 85% of people have a very good experience of the HSE however it use to be 90% and she would not be without health insurance of some sort.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I get it for myself and oh through work before that I paid for it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am so glad I kept ours going through thick and thin . Today I walked into Affidea clinic and got seen and prescription given and home within and hour . I think I would have curled up and died in a crowded A and E today

I only heard of the affidea clinic recently, can I ask di you know anything about their MRI scans. Are they are as reputable as the beacon and Blackrock clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

I have health insurance organised through my place of work. While I'd rarely need to use it (thankfully), I would rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it. (If you know what I mean).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

15000 euro for a one night cardiac procedure in the Maher private that I waited just 3 weeks for.

I paid 150 euro. I’ll be keeping my VHI thx.

Muppet man

molly09 wrote: »
    I only heard of the affidea clinic recently, can I ask di you know anything about their MRI scans. Are they are as reputable as the beacon and Blackrock clinic?

I had an MRI there last year , covered by Laya . They gave me the CD to bring to a consultant and he was quite happy with the quality and the reading and reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If you are healthy and no major issues in your family, then maybe take a break for a few years.

But definitely get back as you go into your 30's

However if you play any sport that could give an injury or if there's any cancer or heart issues in the family, look at keeping it but at a very basic level

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Daughter needed her tonsils taken out. It took a few months between gp referral and procedure. I was told public waiting list just to be seen by consultant is 2 years. That was not urgent but I know of someone waiting over a year for heart bypass while my father in law had done in couple of months time. It's less essential for younger people but I wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I’m 25 and have been paying €60 a month for the past year with VHI. That’s €720 a year!! Not gonna bother renewing in the new year as I never used it and in my mind it’s money being wasted away that I could save. ��*♂️

I pay €880 per year with VHI and its money well spent imo.

I had skin cancer 4 yrs ago and went private,early detection , underwent 3 surgeries by a plastic surgeon,follow up checks with Dermatologist

If I was to wait on the public system without VHI my surgeon advised my cancer would have spread via my lymph nodes and invaded into my body, I probably would have been dead at this stage.

So imo private health care is crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Yep and I make good use of it ... my hospital bills over the past couple of years would be well into the 6 digits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

Yep and will never go about it again, first company i joined after college paid for it.

About two years into the job i was getting terrible pains in my intestines, bloody diahrea.

Went to the doctor and a week later had an endoscopy and was confirmed with crohns disease.

If i didn't have health insurance i reckon i would have been waiting over a year or more for the endoscopy.

I'll never go with about it again and in fairness to anyone wanting to get it, its not bloody expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

kravmaga wrote: »
    I pay €880 per year with VHI and its money well spent imo.

I had skin cancer 4 yrs ago and went private,early detection , underwent 3 surgeries by a plastic surgeon,follow up checks with Dermatologist

If I was to wait on the public system without VHI my surgeon advised my cancer would have spread via my lymph nodes and invaded into my body, I probably would have been dead at this stage.

So imo private health care is crucial

This kind of thing can upset people the cancer services in the public system is excellent its one of the things the HSE dose well, someone will not get lesser treatment just because they are in the public system that is an important point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I suffer badly with kidney stones - one a year usually, not diet related simply they way I am before people start yapping about what I should do.

Anyway - spent 10 days in hospital one time, have had 4 operations, loads of 4-8 days in wards, got them blasted, ct's x-rays, etc etc etc every time I go in.

I have no insurance.

It costs me €100 each time I present at a&e or call an ambulance. Thats it - never been billed for another cent.

I have no idea why anyone would pay insurance, public is fine, like really really good imo.

Edit - I should also add I get seen every 4 months and have an x-ray and ultrasound, and meet with a consultant. not a penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've had it for over 20 years, for the first 10 I had no reason to ever use it, however once I turned 40 this changed, visits to doctors, consultants and hospitals became more commonplace.
    I switched plans a few years back and can claim a lot more. A couple of years ago I developed a pilonidal sinus, which I ignored hoping it would go away after hearing loads of scary post op stories but when I finally decided to do something about it, I was in hospital and sorted within a couple of days, I've no doubt that had I not insurance I would have had to wait possibly years as the condition as uncomfortable and awkward as it is, isn't life threatening.
    I can see why someone in their 20's might see it as a waste of money but should certainly be thinking about it by the mid 30's. I've had plenty of other issues where I was able to be seen for very quickly, without insurance given the state of the health service I shudder to think how long I'd have had to wait.

ardinn wrote: »
    I suffer badly with kidney stones - one a year usually, not diet related simply they way I am before people start yapping about what I should do.

Anyway - spent 10 days in hospital one time, have had 4 operations, loads of 4-8 days in wards, got them blasted, ct's x-rays, etc etc etc every time I go in.

I have no insurance.

It costs me €100 each time I present at a&e or call an ambulance. Thats it - never been billed for another cent.

I have no idea why anyone would pay insurance, public is fine, like really really good imo.

The HSE is fine for acute problems and works well when you are in acute need
    Where is falls down badly is for chronic conditions awaiting to be seen by a consultant . There are people waiting years for cateract repairs or hip replacement etc , living in chronic pain for years . Its is by no means fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

mariaalice wrote: »
    This kind of thing can upset people the cancer services in the public system is excellent its one of the things the HSE dose well, someone will not get lesser treatment just because they are in the public system that is an important point.

I understand what your saying, however I believe my consultant Dr O' Sullivan as my cancer was very aggressive. So Im not being a drama queen , ive been through both systems, public vrs private, I know what Im talking about

Its my story and my opinion okay, Im not slating the public system, Im pointing out that private health insurance assisted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’m 25 and have been paying €60 a month for the past year with VHI. That’s €720 a year!! Not gonna bother renewing in the new year as I never used it and in my mind it’s money being wasted away that I could save. 🀷*♂️

Always had health insurance through work. Was never sick until my late 20’s then I was in and out of hospital for over a year. One stay was 12k alone.

Health insurance is something I’ll never go without.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ardinn wrote: »

I have no insurance.

Edit - I should also add I get seen every 4 months and have an x-ray and ultrasound, and meet with a consultant. not a penny.

I've had kidney stones twice. Once 20 years ago the HSE misdiagnosed appendicitis and took a week to correct

Second time I spent 10 hours in a and e and walked out after passing it and went to my gp who cleared.

Private all the way for me tbh

What is the best way to shop for health insurance?

• Advertisement

FFVII wrote: »
    What is the best way to shop for health insurance?

https://www.hia.ie/health-insurance-comparison

Advertisement