Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extension. Normal or high ceiling

• 28-12-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Thinking of putting a small extension onto living area of kitchen. Kitchen and living area are a normal ceiling. There will be a slider door and a window at either side of stove. If I'm having a higher ceiling, I was advised to put in velux windows. Don't want to make the area harder to heat because of higher ceiling. Also, which one would be cheaper

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

lower ceiling will be cheaper to heat but may make kitchen darker.
    velux can be ducted down into the flat ceiling

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Cal04 wrote: »
    Thinking of putting a small extension onto living area of kitchen. Kitchen and living area are a normal ceiling. There will be a slider door and a window at either side of stove. If I'm having a higher ceiling, I was advised to put in velux windows. Don't want to make the area harder to heat because of higher ceiling. Also, which one would be cheaper

If u have money to burn do the velux !
    If u haven’t don’t , the job will double in price for high ceilings and velux !
    And possible loss of heat if ur not going to spend on extra insulation as ur area to insulate will be verity walls , roof as against your more straight forward flat ceiling !
    Again hard to advise without seeing the plans !

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cal04

Thank you both. Will have slider doors and some windows so hard to know really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Cal04 wrote: »
    Thank you both. Will have slider doors and some windows so hard to know really

In the vekux side of things, my honest advice is, if you need it to give light into the room, then absolutely put them in, there is ithing worse than a dark kitchen.

We self built 20 years ago, and the kitchen was constantly dark, even in the summer, as we didnt put enough sunlight into it. Put velux in about 2 years ago and it's like a different house.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

And possible loss of heat if ur not going to spend on extra insulation as ur area to insulate will be verity walls , roof as against your more straight forward flat ceiling !

Double the price?

Are you a builder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, get proper advice. Velux or a higher than standard ceiling will not double the price of the job.

Advertisement