Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essentials to have before babys arrival

Options
  • 27-12-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm starting to look around for baby items to have ready. Maybe I'm cynical but I suspect there is a huge amount of redundant stuff that is peddled as "essential" to anxious new parents. I don't want to buy a stack of gadgets that don't get used. I'm sure that we will probably get gifts of baby clothes so I don't want to overstock with more than we'el need.

So my question is what should we absolutely make sure we have in terms of clothes & equipment before baby makes three.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You need somewhere for them to sleep. Muslim cloths are good to have. Steriliser for bottles. A changing mat can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

Bottles x 6
    Steriliser
    Dummy’s x 4
    Muslins x 12
    Hooded towels
    Cotton wool pads or water wipes
    Nappies
    Cellular blanket
    Sudocream.

That’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I live in a very small space so my shopping list consisted of-
    *Somewhere for them to sleep (co-sleeper then cot)
    *Something for them to travel in (pram and carseat and sling if it suits)
    *Something for them to sit in (bouncer)
    *Something to feed them (boobs are great, pump if you want and bottles if not breastfeeding)

There is a lot of stuff peddled at new parents like swings, sleep pods/ nests etc. but once you have the basics you will be fine. Don't be shy about second hand stuff and handmedowns, babies use things for such a short space of time that they are rarely well used. Write a list of what you need and if people ask what you might need, show them the list and they can pick what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Agree with most of the above although if planning on breastfeeding I’d add Lanolin to the list. I also wouldn’t consider the bottles or stersliser to be essential at the start of breast feeding although you may use bottles down the line if you decide to express etc. We also didn’t use dummies so I wouldn’t count them as an essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

I'm planning to breastfeed, fingers crossed I have no problems doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

As a dad, I find a sling to be essential.

It was/is a foolproof way my wife or I could get both of ours to sleep. And sleep is a precious commodity.

Prior to its arrival I struggled to get our first one down during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

One of the best things my daughter had for her babies was a baby bean bag . It was great for tucking baba in and could be moved anywhere and brought anywhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Never run out of wet wipes and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Co-sleeper, changing table (tried without for 2 weeks and our backs were broken), clothes for a newborn (gifts are usually in larger sizes), car seat, buggy suitable for a newborn or travel system (doesn’t have to be crazy expensive but check it fits in your boot and isn’t really heavy to lift in and out).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Uptheduff wrote: »

Worth going to your local cuidiu group before you give birth in that case as they are a great place for support if you need it afterwards and the last thing you want to be doing in a newborn haze is trying to figure out where to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

A clothes horse is handy if you don't already have one. You'll be amazed at how much washing a tiny person with tiny belongings can generate, and you don't want to be putting their bits in the dryer or relying on a dry day for the washing line.

I second the recommendation for a changing table. It's back breaking doing it regularly on the floor or bed. And if they have a messy nappy or vomit all over themselves it's handy to have one area that can be wiped clean. Also if you end up having a C section you don't want to be doubled over a low surface many, many times a day to change nappies/clothes. Ideally an area upstairs and another downstairs so you're not trekking up and down all day or night.

An important one for Mama - a heat insulted travel mug... your tea or coffee will be interrupted frequently over the first few months before a routine of predictable naps is established, keep your drinks hot in a travel mug!

Little storage baskets or containers are also handy to have bibs and muslin cloths in to make them easily accessible, and also to organise/separate vests and babygros by size. We were given so many lovely gifts and it's good to be able to put your hand on something that fits. Dealz does good deep baskets/storage boxes.

Good luck, it's the most amazing time!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Just don't buy too many clothes. You get so many as gifts and it actually becomes overwhelming trying to get the outfits worn. We have a six week old and she has grown out if do many clothes already. Some got one wear and others are going into a box unworn. It's such a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Dont get a sterilizer, instead get those microwaveable sterilizing bottles.
    We bought a sterilizer and never used it because we use them. So much handier

closifer wrote: »
    Just don't buy too many clothes. You get so many as gifts and it actually becomes overwhelming trying to get the outfits worn. We have a six week old and she has grown out if do many clothes already. Some got one wear and others are going into a box unworn. It's such a waste

Most shops like Next and Dunnes and M and S will exchange baby clothes for bigger sizes even without a receipt .

Cash_Q wrote: »
    A clothes horse is handy if you don't already have one. You'll be amazed at how much washing a tiny person with tiny belongings can generate

Just on this- before I had my first I had an idea that they would need changes of clothes often due to poop or puke, but I had no idea how much I would need to change my clothes or bed linen because of their bodily functions! I have a 5 month old and STILL get puked on at least once a day so have taken to wearing a vest in the house and only put a proper top on when I have to leave the house!

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Most shops like Next and Dunnes and M and S will exchange baby clothes for bigger sizes even without a receipt .

Penneys, H and M and Tesco do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Pack your hospital bag, buy a car seat to take them home in, a pram and somewhere for baby to sleep. That’s all that’s absolutely essential in the first couple of weeks IMO. I did get a gift of a bouncer on my first in the very early days, would ultimately have had to buy that very quickly anyhow.
    Everything else is extra, and can be ordered online and delivered very very quickly if you can’t get someone to go to the shop for you if you can’t get there yourself.
    If planning to breastfeed, I would highly recommend doing a breastfeeding prep class (a good one, not necessarily whatever is offered in the hospital). I would consider it the best investment I made in my first pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Essentials
    Cotton wool
    Nappies
    Vaseline or other barrier cream
    Baby vests and baby grows (6 of each)
    Non bio washing powder
    Hat (anytime they go outside)
    Don't bother with other clothes, you will see what you need as you go.
    Maternity pads for you.

Car seat
    I found a pram essential, as a big walker and due to csection.
    Somewhere to sleep, look at safe sleep guidance (lullaby trust) before buying anything other than a cot/cosleeper/moses basket
    New mattress for cot, sheet
    Cellular blanket
    Changing mat
    I found changing table essential but plenty do fine without

Then just your boobs!
    Go to la leche league or cuidui in late pregnancy. I only went when baby was 6 weeks and I think it would have made the early days easier if I had gone when pregnant. The support in the maternity hospitals is hit and miss, and you will have a lit more confidence starting off then.
    Muslin cloths too are handy.
    No need for bibs I found. Also a smoother can inhibit successful breastfeeding so be aware of that.
    Nursing bra. No need for other dedicated bf clothes, just wear a vest under a top, pull top up and vest down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think an ear thermometer is essential.
    Very handy to have at 3am and you can’t tell are they really hot or are you just exhausted. Mind you when they are rally hot you’ll know but it’s comforting to see a normal reading on thermometer when things are fraught.

Also id have bottle calpol, neurofen and paralink suppositories . You might never use them but easier to have in house imho

I also found books like what to expect in first year invaluable.

As well as books to read to baby of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,770 ✭✭✭893bet

Lisha wrote: »
    I think an ear thermometer is essential.
    Very handy to have at 3am and you can’t tell are they really hot or are you just exhausted. Mind you when they are rally hot you’ll know but it’s comforting to see a normal reading on thermometer when things are fraught.

Also id have bottle calpol, neurofen and paralink suppositories . You might never use them but easier to have in house imho

Ear thermometer not recommend under 3 months. Risk of damaging ear and difficulty getting an accurate reading.

893bet wrote: »
    Ear thermometer not recommend under 3 months. Risk of damaging ear and difficulty getting an accurate reading.

Fair enough I’d forgotten that. My oldest is 12 and the Braun ear thermometer we got fir him is still going strong. Definitely the best value for money baby item we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I always recommend buying one bottle and a liter of premade formula. It’s cheap, doesn’t take much space and you’re covered in case of emergency then. You can always sterilize in a saucepan of boiling water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nanny, wetnurse, and cruise booked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would second a thermometer.Very important.
    Also a couple of sheets and a couple of celullar blankets for nightime.
    Myself, I used water wipes on my second and third babies rather than cotton wool and water, just for ease, but that is personal choice.
    I do think a bouncer chair of some sort is a good thing to have.We only got 1 at 5 weeks on our first because I didn't think it was essential, but actually it was really handy and we should have got it earlier.Just a thought.
    Changing table...I would get one.Save your back.Can't describe how stiff and sore your back can get between birth, lifting baby, breastfeeeding and a million nappy changes a days!Never mind as they turn into toddlers!Ikea do a 50eur table,ours is still going strong.
    I think most of the stuff is covered here otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think play the changing table by ear, we used the top of an old chest of drawers for ours, or a Bed, the floor. Got a
    wipable changing mat alright. But didn't need a changing table.

Boobs, a pack of breastfeeding pads and the shields. Those were handy if you get a cut or are sore.

Sling is not essential, but oh so handy to free up an arm when baby wants to be on you all the time. I would get one.

Bouncer, I found this really handy too. I put them in there (from a few wks old maybe?) To bounce while I went to the loo after a feed and it was great for getting wind up!

Buggy. Don't need a travel system. Highly recommend the Out n about buggy. Second hand is fine. I had a double for a while, sold it. Resell value is good. We still use our original with cousins and friends babies who visit, good as new. Great frame on it, easy for jogs and goes flat for newborns yet strong enough for 3+ year olds.

I would get infant Calpol, infant neurofen and a thermometer too. The first time you need this is invariably 2am on a bank holiday.

Bath thermometer is handy if you don't feel confident using the elbow trick. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

pwurple wrote: »

I would get infant Calpol, infant neurofen and a thermometer too. The first time you need this is invariably 2am on a bank holiday

1000 times this.Ok you can't use them on a newborn, but then you forget and suddenly they are 14 weeks, it's 2am, they have a slight temperature and you have nothing.It's sod's law.

Actually, you now need to give them calpol just before and in the 10 hours after their first set of injections at 8 weeks, so you will need it anyway.(It's all laid out in the HSE vaccine booklet you get and your nurse will tell you, so don't worry about remembering the detail for now!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. Am I naive in thinking the kitchen table is a suitable baby changing spot if we've got a changing mat?

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. Am I naive in thinking the kitchen table is a suitable baby changing spot if we've got a changing mat?

I changed my three babies and two grandchildren on a mat on the kitchen table . We all lived to tell the tale !
    I have a basket ready with wet wipes , nappies, nappy sacks , cream , a towel and bring it to the table . I had no room for a changing table and it was grand !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My mum, sisters and niece all changed their children on their knees :o

Better women than I, I can assure you :)

I had very little space in my house but I still got a changing unit....I got one in smyths that has the bath built in too.....much to the amusement of the above females :)

I found it great as everything was in one place, I used the base to store nappies, the shelf trays to store their clothes. When you are in the house on your own faced with a poonami the last thing you need is to be running upstairs for clean clothes. Plus as the bath is built in you don't have one of them floating about....unless you go old school and kitchen sink it :)

One Lil thing I learned to do was you will get loads of clothes sets....take a picture of each set before it goes into the wash.....otherwise you'll drive yourself batty looking at the labels trying to figure out what goes with what :)

Advertisement