Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas trees don't smell anymore

• 24-12-2019 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

Like the thread title says, Christmas trees, or at least the one I buy from the local scout troop don't smell really like the trees I grew up with. Back when I was a little fella, I remember the whole house smelling of the tree. Now I thought it was just my imagination that this wasn't the case anymore, but the neighbours bought a beautiful real wreath for their apartment door and the smell is wonderful - it fills the hallway and brings me right back to childhood.

A little late for this year, but does alone know where you can get fragrant trees in South Dublin? The needles on my neighbors wreath are a kind of silvery green colour, which was just like the tree we'd had in the 80's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kids have better smell than adults maybe? Cos I remember the same - strong smell of the Christmas tree when I was a kid.

Dunno, just a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Christmas trees used when i was a child would have been Norway spruce,strong sent but drooped there needles.
    where as know a days nordman fir or Douglas fir are the most popular.
    little to no cent an don't drop there needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A judicious application of pure pine oil ( most pharmacies sell it) will sort that. Jus t a drop or two as it is very concentrated indeed. Less is more...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you get one out the forest with the really prickly needles it will still smell. the bought and bagged ones don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

Just said the same thing today, was out all day and tree is in a nice cold room and is a huge tree yet no smell when we opened the door to take some pics with it. In previous years it used to have a good smell but doesn't seem to anymore for some reason. Not sure of the type but plenty of needles falling off it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Wife said the same thing when buying our tree.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You want to look for a Noble Fir - kinda a blue tint to them - they're the ones that have the lovely smell. Nordmann fir is very popular, and more of a green colour but doesn't really smell at all. We got a Noble fir this year (first real tree so I did a lot of research :pac:) and the whole house smells amazing.

We got it in Kilakee Christmas Tree Farm, and I know the place in Milltown does them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Toots wrote: »
    You want to look for a Noble Fir - kinda a blue tint to them - they're the ones that have the lovely smell. Nordmann fir is very popular, and more of a green colour but doesn't really smell at all. We got a Noble fir this year (first real tree so I did a lot of research :pac:) and the whole house smells amazing.

We got it in Kilakee Christmas Tree Farm, and I know the place in Milltown does them as well.
    That must be it. The needles on the neighbours wreath had a blue/silver tint to them, where as the trees we've had for the last few years have had a dark waxy green needle and no smell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've noticed the same thing.

https://www.history.com/.amp/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas-trees

I read somewhere that Xmas trees in ireland were introduced though the royal family then though fashion in the upper classes.

When I asked all the older people ( 80yrs +) I knew none of them remembered having Xmas trees as we know them kids. They brought in other things but not trees and not fir trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

beauf wrote: »
    I've noticed the same thing.

https://www.history.com/.amp/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas-trees

I read somewhere that Xmas trees in ireland were introduced though the royal family then though fashion in the upper classes.

When I asked all the older people ( 80yrs +) I knew none of them remembered having Xmas trees as we know them kids. They brought in other things but not trees and not fir trees.

We had Norway Spruce trees for Christmas in the 40s, so those people must be well over 80.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its just interesting how recent a tradition it is.

I wonder will it become socially unacceptable in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

beauf wrote: »
    Its just interesting how recent a tradition it is.

I wonder will it become socially unacceptable in a few years.

Before the tree, in Ireland people would bring an evergreen branch into the house and decorate it with fancy paper.

That's was actually a good article on early to mid 20th century Christmas a few days ago to give you a sense of how it's changed.

Apparently the whole house would've been whitewashed for Christmas, and the big treat was the Christmas cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I saw something on TV about this recently and they said they were two common types of Christmas trees in Ireland. One of them smelt and th other didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

First time having a real tree in ages, zero scent and needles throwing themselves off the tree if you look at it. Had real trees growing up and they smelled lovely and only shed a little bit. Will be putting in some effort next year if we get a real one next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mine does , noble fir, locally grown up here in the NW

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We get ours from a tree farm, cut down there and then so the scent is really noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I never really got into the smell of Christmas trees to be honest. It always reminded me of the smell of grave wreaths!

Advertisement