Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet suggestions

Options
  • 25-12-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a tablet in the new year. It'll be used for browsing, emails, etc. but nothing too intensive.

I've been looking at the Samsung 5e and 6, the surface, etc. Would like the option of a keyboard and the surface seems to get decent reviews but seem a little pricey.

Almost anything I watch would be streamed from Plex or Netflix so 64GB would probably do but 128GB would obviously be better. I'm not sure if all are compatible with SD cards but that'd be handy too.

Hoping to grab something in the January sales. Budget would be around 5-600 but I can up that if needs be.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Keep a watch on Lenovo.ie for sales promos. They have both Android and Windows based tablets. If you're interested in decent spec with Android, then I'd suggest seeing if there are any Tab 4 Pro 64gb tablets on special (last year spec but still decent), or the newer P10 which is €240 at the moment.

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Tab-P10/p/ZA440131GB

Although it doesn't have a keyboard, a case and keyboard can always be purchased. I just don't think smaller tablets need them unless you really have to do some long emails (or boards posts ;) ).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

look for widevine level 1 to be able to stream netflix hd

samsung s5e might do if you want a great screen but cheaper than the s6 (same screen)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-SM-T720-Black-Version/dp/B07PJZSDB6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1H565B3A3DJ1A&keywords=samsung+s5e&qid=1577327262&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=samsung+s5%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-3

on sale now it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

glasso wrote: »
    look for widevine level 1 to be able to stream netflix hd

samsung s5e might do if you want a great screen but cheaper than the s6 (same screen)

Glasso what's your thoughts on the new iPad, standard model. Seems to be getting the best reviews of everything for around 350. Or 450/500 for the 128gb. Just reading reviews and they all seem to point towards apple.....I'm in the market for something that'll last, have updates, and do the basics. Or is it all bollo@$

Hoboo wrote: »
    Glasso what's your thoughts on the new iPad, standard model. Seems to be getting the best reviews of everything for around 350. Or 450/500 for the 128gb. Just reading reviews and they all seem to point towards apple.....I'm in the market for something that'll last, have updates, and do the basics. Or is it all bollo@$

Yes it's good value once you don't mind Apple stuff. Going for a great price over in the us also on deals if you can get it sent over

In all honesty, forget Android tablets and get the standard iPad. I got a Pro last year and never looked back from it. You don’t need to get fully into Apple stuff to use one (though I did in the end because most of it is excellent) - all the google stuff works perfectly.

• Advertisement

They do compare very well on the tablet side in terms of value, whereas not on the phone side. I just personally don't like apple's locked down way of doing things.

They do compare very well on the tablet side in terms of value, whereas not on the phone side. I just personally don't like apple's locked down way of doing things.

There’s very little locked down using an iPad. Sign in with your google account and sync your contacts and they’ve almost the full array of apps.
    It did convince me to buy an iPhone, but even when I had the iPad and an android phone there was nothing restrictive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

I'm not too keen on an iPad. I had an iPhone a few years ago and it was heavily locked down. I'm not sure what iOS is like now?

I've been looking at the surface go and pro with the keyboard. €700 odd for the 128/8GB Go with keyboard in Harvey Norman, seems to be the cheapest around, which was surprising.

This is it wrote: »
    I'm not too keen on an iPad. I had an iPhone a few years ago and it was heavily locked down. I'm not sure what iOS is like now?

I've been looking at the surface go and pro with the keyboard. €700 odd for the 128/8GB Go with keyboard in Harvey Norman, seems to be the cheapest around, which was surprising.

What do you mean by locked down? They’re barely restricted to you using any apple service. Or do you mean for dodgy streaming apps?

That said, the surface would be a much better choice than an Android tablet too.

What do you mean by locked down? They’re barely restricted to you using any apple service.
    Do you mean for dodgy streaming apps?

Do I need to go creating an iTunes account or whatever? No so much dodgy apps but I would use IPTV. I presume Plex is available?

I suppose what I'm looking for is something between my phone and my desktop, so the surface with the keyboard seemed ideal but I'm sure there are loads of others.

• Advertisement

Do I need to go creating an iTunes account or whatever? No so much dodgy apps but I would use IPTV. I presume Plex is available?

I suppose what I'm looking for is something between my phone and my desktop, so the surface with the keyboard seemed ideal but I'm sure there are loads of others.

No I’ve never done a thing with iTunes between the phone or tablet. You just select ‘gmail’ in contacts settings to sync all them etc.

Not sure about plex as I just watch Netflix, amazon prime, etc on the device or via chromecast but when I check the App Store there Plex is there and says it offers iPad and AppleTV apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yeah I think there are ways around IPTV stuff on Apple but probably depends if your IPTV provider supports such things...

If that is partly why you are buying (for IPTV) Android will always trump iOS in that end of things for flexibility with formats and streaming "other" sources....

I'd definitely need IPTV, I'll look into support on iOS.

I know the keyboard on the surface will bulk it up a bit but what are the Lenovo, etc. 2 in 1s like? They seem much thicker and then the keyboard isn't detachable but the prices are a good bit lower

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-c340-14-intel-pentium-2-in-1-laptop-128-gb-ssd-blue-10193437-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've just bought a xiaomi mi pad 4 and am impressed with it for the price I paid.
    The delivery time was a bit long, but very happy with the purchase. I got the 8" version.

I've just bought a xiaomi mi pad 4 and am impressed with it for the price I paid.
    The delivery time was a bit long, but very happy with the purchase. I got the 8" version.

great tablet. I have one.

one downer for some people may be no widevine level 1 for streaming hd (netflix, amazon) but tbh on a small screen I don't notice that much

• Registered Users Posts: 28,686 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have one of these too and find it great for the purposes I wanted - ereader, web browsing, occasional plex streaming.

I'm not sure I'd trust the native Chinese rom with banking etc (no official global rom unfortunately) but maybe that's me being paranoid. I also have a Note 9 and an Dell XPS 13 though so each of them have different uses really.

For the 150 I paid for the tablet though it's great!

More powerful than equivalent android tablets for the price.

If I hadn't bought all my premium apps on Android and was buying a new tablet I would consider it.

More powerful than equivalent android tablets for the price.

If I hadn't bought all my premium apps on Android and was buying a new tablet I would consider it.

Yeah that’s a good point in fairness. Over the years someone could have invested a lot in the Play Store and it makes sense to stick with it. I’d say I’ve shelled out a fair bit since switching over to Apple.

Went with the Surface Go. Love the magnetic keyboard and kickstand, and have set up my IPTV, etc. already with no issues. Pricey enough but loving it so far. Lovely screen with great colour. Have opened a few apps like Spotify, Plex, YouTube, and browsed all at the same time to see how it would handle and there was little to no lag that I noticed anyway.

Will update in a few weeks if I think of it.

• Advertisement

Went with the Surface Go. Love the magnetic keyboard and kickstand, and have set up my IPTV, etc. already with no issues. Pricey enough but loving it so far. Lovely screen with great colour. Have opened a few apps like Spotify, Plex, YouTube, and browsed all at the same time to see how it would handle and there was little to no lag that I noticed anyway.

Will update in a few weeks if I think of it.

well the surface go is very different to an Android or Applet tablet.

It's a full windows pc with all the capabilities that that brings.

did you go for the 8gb ram version? where did you pick it up?

Yeah went for the 8/128Gb.

Yep, obviously different but does exactly what I want.

Advertisement