Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the proper way to make a Baby Guinness?

Options
  • 25-12-2019 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I've never made one of these before, hence the ignorance :D I have a bottle of Baileys and a bottle of Tia Maria, I assumed it was as simple as pouring the Tia Maria first and pouring the Baileys - over an upturned spoon - on top of that. However, the resulting concoction mixed the Baileys into the Tia Maria in a "streaked" or clouded formation, as opposed to the Baileys sitting neatly separated on top of the Tia Maria as I've seen in bars etc.

What exactly am I doing wrong and how can I rectify this?

(NB: The resulting shots tasted absolutely incredible, they just didn't look like the classic Baby Guinness :D

Apologies for any misspellings, Christmas Day and all that 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've never made one of these before, hence the ignorance :D I have a bottle of Baileys and a bottle of Tia Maria, I assumed it was as simple as pouring the Tia Maria first and pouring the Baileys - over an upturned spoon - on top of that. However, the resulting concoction mixed the Baileys into the Tia Maria in a "streaked" or clouded formation, as opposed to the Baileys sitting neatly separated on top of the Tia Maria as I've seen in bars etc.

What exactly am I doing wrong and how can I rectify this?

(NB: The resulting shots tasted absolutely incredible, they just didn't look like the classic Baby Guinness :D

Apologies for any misspellings, Christmas Day and all that 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻

Sounds like you are doing it right, pour the Baileys very slowly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Sounds like you are doing it right, pour the Baileys very slowly.

Yea it's the right way, just verrrrry gently drizzle the Baileys over the back of the spoon held very close to the top of the Tia Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Practice makes perfect.....

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Cheers for the replies folks! Delighted to say that I figured out what I was doing wrong: As PieOhMy mentioned, the spoon has to be almost in the coffee liqueur when you pour the baileys, whereas I was holding it a good several inches above the glass and letting it splash down into it from a height, hence how it was sinking instead of sitting on top.

As I mentioned in the OP, the resulting shots tasted just as delicious as they were supposed to, the only different was in the appearance!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I never heard of that! Sounds lovely :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, I always found it easier not turning the spoon around, and to have it just breaking the surface of the tia Maria..

Advertisement