Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tower Hotel bid to demolish Georgian Lombard street rejected

Options
  • 22-12-2019 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

An Bord Pleanála has upheld an appeal against the Tower Hotel in Waterford City to extend its property into a Georgian quarter.

*The hotel had got permission from Waterford Council* to demolish terrace houses at 17-20 Lombard St, affecting a property at the adjoining The Mall, and two protected ornamental lamp posts.

Fáilte Ireland had supported the plan but it was opposed by businesswoman Monica Leech, on the grounds of being “inappropriate in the streetscape”

Upholding the appeal, An Bord Pleanála said that “exceptional circumstances” to allow the go-ahead had not been proven.

The Lombard St properties date from the early 1700s and numbers 17 and 18 are registered on the National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, while No 18 is the birthplace of William Hobson, who was the first governor of New Zealand. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/waterford-tower-fails-to-secure-extension-971522.html

Unbelievable stuff. Huge swaths historic swaths of the city were razed in the 20th cen and the Council is still willing to grant permission to knock well preserved parts of the Georgian city. Mad.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

...all in the name of progress.

Same happened in Dublin and is still happening, destroying entire street scapes of historic buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Cabaal wrote:
    ...all in the name of progress.

Progress is good, the wealth created trickles down, or something something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is being discussed on the Waterford Developments thread. One potential solution would be to keep the facade (which lets face it is all most people think of or care about) and integrate it into a new design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

This is being discussed on the Waterford Developments thread. One potential solution would be to keep the facade (which lets face it is all most people think of or care about) and integrate it into a new design.

I dont know what the interiors are like but sometimes they are high valued. For example pre Georgian staircases are highly valued and irreplaceable. I dont know what the ideal solution but only keeping the facade is creating a some what fake street. Id rather the hotel just builds up on their existing side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

True, but do any of us know what's behind the door/s? The interiors could have been gutted of all the historically interesting structures years ago. I had a search on National Inventory of Architectural Heritage but cannot find the addresses in question.

btw did anyone notice the file picture in the article above is for a scene that doesn't exist yet? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

True, but do any of us know what's behind the door/s? The interiors could have been gutted of all the historically interesting structures years ago. I had a search on National Inventory of Architectural Heritage but cannot find the addresses in question.

btw did anyone notice the file picture in the article above is for a scene that doesn't exist yet? :)

Ha ha yes I laughed when I saw the foot bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Exminer, first with the news all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

The Flour Mills never looked better.

Advertisement