Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncut Gems - upcoming Safdie Bros film with Adam Sandler (!)

Options
  • 30-09-2019 12:51pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Trailer:

It's been a long time since Adam Sandler has been in anything that looked interesting to me, but I didn't even recognise him in this trailer. The setup looks good and based on the quality of Good Time I'll be going to see this at the cinema - hopefully the Safdies have gotten as good a performance out of Sandler as they did Pattinson in Good Time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

This will be released on Netflix. It's the second last movie of Sandler's current deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Guy Person wrote: »
    This will be released on Netflix. It's the second last movie of Sandler's current deal.

Looks very good, when is it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Looks very good, when is it out?

Christmas Day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Guy Person wrote: »

While Netflix has the international rights, it’s not part of the Sandler Netflix deal. It’s an A24 release in the US.

Can’t wait to see it, have heard it’s immensely stressful and intense - which, given how well Good Time worked, I’m all in for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Looks good. Though I can't shake the feeling Sandler is just channelling Al Pacino.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While Netflix has the international rights, it’s not part of the Sandler Netflix deal. It’s an A24 release in the US.

Can’t wait to see it, have heard it’s immensely stressful and intense - which, given how well Good Time worked, I’m all in for.

I get we like different things Johnny, but describing entertainment as "stressful and intense" is not quite the recommendation you might be gunning for :D

Looks intriguing but like others does feel as if Sandler is channeling Pacino, just a smidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

I got a John Turturro vibe from Sandler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

In work so haven't seen the trailer yet but Sandler was very good in Punch Drunk Love. I'd like to see him doing more dramatic roles. If only to stop him making...... ahem.... "comedies".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let me tell you folks, this film is going to **** you up in the best possible way.

It’s very much a continuation of the Good Time approach - a darkly comedic thriller where a plan will never work out the way the protagonist thinks it will. It’s relentless in its wild, anxious energy - just a pulsating, underlying level of tension and imminent catastrophe that barely lets up at all. It’s an inspiring piece of orchestrated unease and chaos. Sandler’s wild, twitchy mannerisms are an ideal fit - cocksure to an almost manic degree. It’s a terrifically mad performance to watch, and a key ingredient in the Safdie’s pitch perfect tension machine.

I kind of love how it matches its amusingly recent period setting (2012) with a gritty, old school visual style and synth-heavy soundtrack - adds an additional layer of unease through recognisable but strangely off kilter and out-of-time setting and stylings.
    Special mention to the tremendous ending. It ends the only way it can - a moment of euphoria for Howard before his plan goes wrong one last time.

Anyway it’s the feature film equivalent of a light but persistent panic attack, and please take that as the compliment it’s intended to be ;) A proper treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Looking forward to this. I love it when Sandler puts the effort in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

This is coming to Netflix here on January 31st from the looks of things, but it will release in some cinemas on January 10th (the Lighthouse have already confirmed that they'll show it, and going by other Netflix theatrical releases I'd imagine the IFI and IMC cinemas will too)
    The Lighthouse are screening it in advance on January 2nd and tickets are still available.
    https://lighthousecinema.ie//showing/showing-53755

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I went to a screening of this a couple of weeks ago. Adam Sandler and the directors were in attendance for a Q&A afterwards.

I was absolutely blown away by the film. I had no expectations going in. I wasn't familiar with the Safdie brothers. WOW. All I can say. The film is phenomenal, tense, thrilling. I genuinely think it's one of the best films I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Watched this last night, amazing performance by Sandler, not his usual slapstick role. Really engaging and intense stuff with and a great story. Recommended!

Sandler is much maligned for all the sh1t stuff that he has done.

Given the chance with a good script and a director that directs him he can be great.

glasso wrote: »
    Sandler is much maligned for all the sh1t stuff that he has done.

Given the chance with a good script and a director that directs him he can be great.

It's a shame - there are a few actors who can balance the pay-cheque stuff and passion projects extremely well, but Sandler has only done - by my count - three really interesting, challenging projects over the years (I'm not counting Reign Over Me, although at a stretch Funny People could be a fourth). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he enjoys making the dumbass comedies too. But for someone who does show as much talent as he does in this or Punch Drunk Love - his two best performances, near two decades apart - it's disappointing he doesn't put himself out there more.

Maybe the good buzz from this will encourage him to do more.

you really have to say that the part was made for Sandler as he is a New York Jew by origin and was the perfect real-life age for the part also.

what a wild ride - that sort of freneticism and drama would most likely induce a heart attack in most people!

apparently the now-retired DDL loved the movie so much that he rang up Sandler out-of-the-blue to congratulate him on the movie and his portrayal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It's a shame - there are a few actors who can balance the pay-cheque stuff and passion projects extremely well, but Sandler has only done - by my count - three really interesting, challenging projects over the years (I'm not counting Reign Over Me, although at a stretch Funny People could be a fourth). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he enjoys making the dumbass comedies too. But for someone who does show as much talent as he does in this or Punch Drunk Love - his two best performances, near two decades apart - it's disappointing he doesn't put himself out there more.

Maybe the good buzz from this will encourage him to do more.

Gonna watch uncut gems when i get the chance but I loved punch drunk. Such a quirky movie and shot beautifully.
    How lonely the character looked throughout and how great it was that he found a connection at the end. Surprised he could find any woman he could like with the sisters he had!

On the same subject as the above posts, the new A24 podcast is a chat between Paul Thomas Anderson and the Safdies. No real spoilers for Uncut Gems so just three great filmmakers having a casual chat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Wow, that was intense, the music the acting.. blown away this could be film of the year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,025 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There was some Oscar buzz for Sandler for this, is it eligible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Most stressful film I've watched in a long time. 20 minutes in I said "oh god this not going to end well"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've heard this talk about it being a "stressful" movie, can folks who've seen it explain what's meant? Is it just a tension that's constant over the story elements, or something else? Just not sure it'd a descriptor that'd necessarily entice...

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've heard this talk about it being a "stressful" movie, can folks who've seen it explain what's meant? Is it just a tension that's constant over the story elements, or something else? Just not sure it'd a descriptor that'd necessarily entice...

It’s almost like a dramatic version of something like Curb Your Enthusiasm - just a plan going very, very wrong with increasingly tense consequences. The film’s crafted like an absolute dream, though, with Sandler’s twitchy, cocksure performance a force of nature that suits the material perfectly. It’s stressful in the best possible way ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It’s almost like a dramatic version of something like Curb Your Enthusiasm - just a plan going very, very wrong with increasingly tense consequences. The film’s crafted like an absolute dream, though, with Sandler’s twitchy, cocksure performance a force of nature that suits the material perfectly. It’s stressful in the best possible way ;)

I assumed you meant stressful in the same way that Good Time is stressful, in that you're watching things repeatedly go sideways for the protagonist and while he keeps coming up with new ideas, you're never convinced it's actually going to work out right. Is that about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yeah that's kinda it but also the pacing and sound track is frenetic.

Fysh wrote: »
    I assumed you meant stressful in the same way that Good Time is stressful, in that you're watching things repeatedly go sideways for the protagonist and while he keeps coming up with new ideas, you're never convinced it's actually going to work out right. Is that about right?

Yep indeed. If you liked Good Time, this is very much a variation on a theme - it feels a little more expansive than that film in interesting ways, but maintains the sort of intense intimacy of seeing one manically determined person **** up in all manner of cringey, perilous ways.

I struggled to enjoy this - and really disliked the music in it (apart from the credits song!). Sandler was great but it feels almost like a one man play, given how much focus is on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Dying to see this. How are people seeing it early as far as I'm aware its not out until the end of January over here?

Dying to see this. How are people seeing it early as far as I'm aware its not out until the end of January over here?

It’s out next Friday in cinemas, then end of the month on Netflix. I saw it at a festival, and I know there have been a few preview screenings as well. By the sounds of it it has also ‘leaked’ - but glad to hear it’s been something of a cinema hit in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Horrible people shouting at each other.

Advertisement