Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jehovah Witnesses

• 21-12-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I knew two co-workers in the Jehovah Witnesses in Ireland and they were cool, friendly people. We worked together in an office. We no longer work together but we still chat over WhatsApp occasionally and I see their photo stories of conventions and building work and the different things they do. We never discussed religion, just usual stuff friends may chat about ; holiday, travel, work etc. But their cool outlook on life had me interested in what they were doing.

I was raised a Catholic in Ireland, went to a CBS school and stopped attending Mass around 16, pretty typical I think in Ireland. I always had an interest in faith so years later I talked to people on a JW stand and arranged to start a bible study. You know the stands, they are in public places where there is foot traffic like GPO Dublin.

A married couple do it with me and is started off just one hour per week. Gradually that was upped to two hours per session plus I need to prepare a little before and do my own reading after. I read Genesis start to finish over a few weeks and enjoyed that and asked many questions which they answered.

After a few months I was encouraged to the Sunday meeting in the Kingdom Hall. Meetings are about two hours long. The people were welcoming and friendly. A few months after that I was encouraged to go to the midweek meetings so that's 4 hours of meetings per week and two hours of study plus I'm expected to read ahead and prepare which is more hours. This is almost a part time weekly job!!

It is going on for one year now and they are asking me if I considered getting baptised. They explained before baptism I will be required to do "field service" every month though how can I explain things to the public when I´m not well versed myself. They do training and street scenarios in the meetings for dealing with the public but I would hate to do this. Am quite shy.

They want me to come to one day assembly and three day conventions but like I already work 45 - 50 hours per week and I feel shattered and tired. This started at 1 hour per week and now it's over 6 hours per week plus my travel time to the Kingdom Hall and it'll keep getting bigger.

I guess what I'm asking is do anyone have any experience or insight?

I like the people, I was happy to give 2 -3 hours per week on a bible study but that's what I signed up for. I thought it was no obligation bible study, not recruitment. Maybe I'm naive

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Hi OP,

I think this might be better suited to the religious forum, so I'm moving it there. I'll leave it locked for now for the mods there to review.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    OP there's no anonymized posting in the Religious forum and I understand you may not want to discuss this on your main account. If you wish to continue the discussion on a temporary account you can create a new account to be used only on this thread and only for the duration of this thread to keep your main account out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I knew two co-workers in the Jehovah Witnesses in Ireland and they were cool, friendly people. We worked together in an office. We no longer work together but we still chat over WhatsApp occasionally and I see their photo stories of conventions and building work and the different things they do. We never discussed religion, just usual stuff friends may chat about ; holiday, travel, work etc. But their cool outlook on life had me interested in what they were doing.

I was raised a Catholic in Ireland, went to a CBS school and stopped attending Mass around 16, pretty typical I think in Ireland. I always had an interest in faith so years later I talked to people on a JW stand and arranged to start a bible study. You know the stands, they are in public places where there is foot traffic like GPO Dublin.

A married couple do it with me and is started off just one hour per week. Gradually that was upped to two hours per session plus I need to prepare a little before and do my own reading after. I read Genesis start to finish over a few weeks and enjoyed that and asked many questions which they answered.

After a few months I was encouraged to the Sunday meeting in the Kingdom Hall. Meetings are about two hours long. The people were welcoming and friendly. A few months after that I was encouraged to go to the midweek meetings so that's 4 hours of meetings per week and two hours of study plus I'm expected to read ahead and prepare which is more hours. This is almost a part time weekly job!!

It is going on for one year now and they are asking me if I considered getting baptised. They explained before baptism I will be required to do "field service" every month though how can I explain things to the public when I´m not well versed myself. They do training and street scenarios in the meetings for dealing with the public but I would hate to do this. Am quite shy.

They want me to come to one day assembly and three day conventions but like I already work 45 - 50 hours per week and I feel shattered and tired. This started at 1 hour per week and now it's over 6 hours per week plus my travel time to the Kingdom Hall and it'll keep getting bigger.

I guess what I'm asking is do anyone have any experience or insight?

I like the people, I was happy to give 2 -3 hours per week on a bible study but that's what I signed up for. I thought it was no obligation bible study, not recruitment. Maybe I'm naive

While you can do it, get away from them they are a cult and have no resemblance to Christianity.

Jesus is not God and the Holy Spirit is just a force according to they also don't believe in the trinity. All are basic fundamentals of Christianity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While you can do it, get away from them they are a cult and have no resemblance to Christianity.

Jesus is not God and the Holy Spirit is just a force according to they also don't believe in the trinity. All are basic fundamentals of Christianity.

It can be difficult to distinguish between a cult and a religion, some interesting discussion here. I tend to agree that JW have many characteristics of a cult, but I'd also consider them broadly Christian albeit non-trinitarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Their bible has been recreated to suit their own teaching. It's not the true message from God. Leave them, go to a Baptist church that's bible focused and start your day off reading the NIV bible. I once went to a JW ceremon in Tallaght and stood out like a sore thumb. There is too much pressure to conform in a JW community and to look perfect.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    It can be difficult to distinguish between a cult and a religion, some interesting discussion here. I tend to agree that JW have many characteristics of a cult, but I'd also consider them broadly Christian albeit non-trinitarian.

The trinity is a basic tenet of Christianity. Reject the basic tenets sand you've not got Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I was one for many years. Its a very controlling religion. No birthdays, Christmas, also you won't really be allowed have "worldly" friends. Then if you get baptised and disagree you will be excommunicated. Maybe ask the couple you are studying with about that.

Check out the documentary called, truth be told.

I'd stay clear of them.

I met someone who wasn't a witness and secretly started dating them (as relationships outside the religion are not allowed). Eventually I was able to leave but doing that was a very hard process especially with my family involved.

You should ask them about the "great disappointment" of 1844. The foretold the end of the world and then when it didn't happen they have it a name and changed their theology.

A link worth reading http://www.eaec.org/cults/jehovahswitness.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

You should ask them about the "great disappointment" of 1844. The foretold the end of the world and then when it didn't happen they have it a name and changed their theology.

A link worth reading http://www.eaec.org/cults/jehovahswitness.htm

I wouldn't bother with any of that. They have answers for it all. But that documentary I recommended is worth a watch. Whatever about their bible beliefs its the time consuming aspect and the life controlling I disagree with. That being said I'm now an atheist so I basically disagree with all organised religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

In my experience they will not attend a funeral Mass of a family member, even one of their parents. Although I understand some members will attend family funerals and weddings. OP, IMO it is best to steer clean of joining them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

smacl wrote: »

They are not Christian; they do not believe in Jesus Christ, Son of God Saviour.

They have reverted to a version of the Old Testament Vengeful judgmental God ; there is no mercy , none of the love and salvation Jesus IS. That He came to bring, that He died for and rose again to assure. Only death. No redemption

Too many encounters here; I know the Bible far better than they do and they dislike that intensely.

Graces7 wrote: »
    They are not Christian; they do not believe in Jesus Christ, Son of God Saviour.

Wikipedia would appear to disagree,
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus is God's only direct creation, that everything else was created through Christ by means of God's power, and that the initial unassisted act of creation uniquely identifies Jesus as God's "only-begotten Son". Jesus served as a redeemer and a ransom sacrifice to pay for the sins of humanity.

As per my previous post, non-trinitarian Christians. Personally, I've no time for any door to door religious types trying to inflict their rather dubious belief system on others.

The trinity is a basic tenet of Christianity. Reject the basic tenets sand you've not got Christianity.

True of mainstream Christianity but there are plenty of non-trinitarian Christian groups out there, some of which are very large, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nontrinitarianism

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My parents are both JWs, as are my grandparents. My grandad is an elder.

It is 100% a cult that you should stay away from. It'll eat up all your time, make you incredibly unbearable to be around and make you miss key family events.

Oh and if you need a blood transfusion, it is a cult that may kill you.

Check out the John Cedars channel on YouTube, it's incredibly informative and he pulls apart every aspect of their teachings.

Jwfacts.com is also a fantastic resource you should check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

After a few months I was encouraged to the Sunday meeting in the Kingdom Hall. Meetings are about two hours long. The people were welcoming and friendly.

The love-bombing stage.
    A few months after that I was encouraged to go to the midweek meetings so that's 4 hours of meetings per week and two hours of study plus I'm expected to read ahead and prepare which is more hours. This is almost a part time weekly job!!

Then they make you more and more dependent on them. Next thing you will be expected to shun non-JWs even within your family.

If they were honest about their intentions upfront then nobody would sign up with them. Run. Run away now and never look back.

If you want to develop a belief then fine, but there is no need to get involved with cults which try to take over your life and cut you off from family and friends.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

o1s1n, sorry to hear it, your break away from JW was in all likelehood traumatic.

I am an atheist and a secularist and I respect the right of everyone to hold whatever religious belief they wish.

When it goes wrong isn't when people disagree with the beliefs of friends or family - we all do this to some extent or other. It's when someone tells you to disassociate yourself from friends or family because of doctrine. This is a major indicator of a cult and it is harmful.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

o1s1n, sorry to hear it, your break away from JW was in all likelehood traumatic.

I am an atheist and a secularist and I respect the right of everyone to hold whatever religious belief they wish.

When it goes wrong isn't when people disagree with the beliefs of friends or family - we all do this to some extent or other. It's when someone tells you to disassociate yourself from friends or family because of doctrine. This is a major indicator of a cult and it is harmful.

Thanks for the above. Luckily I managed to get out before I was baptised (both my sisters were the same) so we're not shunned by our family. (The three of us would all consider ourselves atheists now)

I've spent years trying to wake my parents up but it's like arguing with a wall unfortunately. You just hit a point where their eyes glaze over, the indoctrination kicks in and they reel off the party line.

Advertisement