Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

European Festival Suggestions

• 23-12-2019 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

Ive taken a notion to go to a festival abroad this summer - what ones are the best?

Would only be able to get away for 2 nights (parental duties :D ) so need one that is easily accessible from airports etc...

Sick of Irish festivals and worrying about dragging wet gear and wellies around in July!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Monkey2019 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive taken a notion to go to a festival abroad this summer - what ones are the best?

Would only be able to get away for 2 nights (parental duties :D ) so need one that is easily accessible from airports etc...

Sick of Irish festivals and worrying about dragging wet gear and wellies around in July!!!

What lineup do you want,

Commercial: I'd go for Mad cool in madrid
    Alt but still some big acts : I'd go for Primavera in Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Primavera is brilliant, outside of Glastonbury I would argue it usually has the best lineups in Europe although last years wasn't up to their usual high standard IMO. Barcelona a fantastic city too, the festival is on from Thursday to Satuday so not sure how that would suit you if you were hoping it was over a weekend. I think a lot of Spanish/Portuguese festivals do Thurs to Sat instead of Friday to Sunday.

I went to All Points East in London 2 years ago, very well organised festival and I only went for 2 nights and it was completely manageable as London is so close and so many options for flights there and back. The lineup was great last year too and is looking like it will be a great lineup in 2020 too.

Some other ones I've always liked the look of are Bilbao BBK, Nos Alive, Mad Cool, Lowlands, Best Kept Secret, although the latter two are camping festivals as far as I know. eFestivals is a great website to do some research on their forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Le Son Continu, central France. 11-14th/15th July this year. Bring the children and stay for the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Primavera is brilliant, outside of Glastonbury I would argue it usually has the best lineups in Europe although last years wasn't up to their usual high standard IMO. Barcelona a fantastic city too, the festival is on from Thursday to Satuday so not sure how that would suit you if you were hoping it was over a weekend. I think a lot of Spanish/Portuguese festivals do Thurs to Sat instead of Friday to Sunday.

I went to All Points East in London 2 years ago, very well organised festival and I only went for 2 nights and it was completely manageable as London is so close and so many options for flights there and back. The lineup was great last year too and is looking like it will be a great lineup in 2020 too.

Some other ones I've always liked the look of are Bilbao BBK, Nos Alive, Mad Cool, Lowlands, Best Kept Secret, although the latter two are camping festivals as far as I know. eFestivals is a great website to do some research on their forums.

Primavera is fantastic but there's also the smaller Primavera in Porto, Portugal. It's only on for 2 or 3 nights and, afaik, very accessible from Porto. Has a lot of the same big acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

Thanks everyone.

Mad Cool Festival looks great and easy to get to.

Bilbao BBK looks really cool but the flights are expensive.

Anyone ever been to the Isle of Wight festival?

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

Mad Cool Festival looks great and easy to get to.

Bilbao BBK looks really cool but the flights are expensive.

Having been to both of these fests I can appreciate how clean Mad cool is.

Fake grass is great at MC with less chance of rain.

bilbao can be quite wet/cold being held in the mountains. Spanish are really good people to go to festivals with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Dynamo Metal Festival in Eindhoven is brilliant,2 day festival ,if you like hard rock/metal,it’s ideal.

Festival is on for 2 days on July 17th and 18th., ticket is only €59 and Eindhoven is a beautiful city, great vibe and the attendances are only in around the 20k capacity,so it’s not mad packed.

Sepultura and Obituary are on the bill,so it’s going be great!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Toast

Anything UK will have similar chance as us rain wise. IoW seems to get some pretty bad ones (there was a Tornado there this year).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

If God sends me to hell I believe he will send me to a music festival for eternity, there isn't much worse especially for the loner autist men of this world. Just another one of these things in the world that is reserved for the Neuro Typical, a user in an Involuntary Celibate forum I use made a very nice post explaining it well, "The world is as wide as an ocean and as as deep as a puddle for us, so many things to experience but all reserved for couples and Neuro typicals."

I had the nerve to walk into Donnington Park on my own and of course I heard some remarks from Neuro Typicals such as "he looks like he's having fun" and "awe he's on his own", men like us exist just to be laughed at by humans, the sooner I accept it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If God sends me to hell I believe he will send me to a music festival for eternity, there isn't much worse especially for the loner autist men of this world.

:eek:

You definitely need to come to Le Son Continu. One of our "spectrum" volunteers has risen through the ranks to be one of the best managers. Looks after four beer-tents simultaneously 19 hours a day!

• Advertisement

If God sends me to hell I believe he will send me to a music festival for eternity, there isn't much worse especially for the loner autist men of this world. Just another one of these things in the world that is reserved for the Neuro Typical, a user in an Involuntary Celibate forum I use made a very nice post explaining it well, "The world is as wide as an ocean and as as deep as a puddle for us, so many things to experience but all reserved for couples and Neuro typicals."

I had the nerve to walk into Donnington Park on my own and of course I heard some remarks from Neuro Typicals such as "he looks like he's having fun" and "awe he's on his own", men like us exist just to be laughed at by humans, the sooner I accept it the better.

At least there will be good music in hell. I hope they managed to book Frank Ocean.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lollapalooza in Berlin can be great. This years line up was gick, but other years have been solid enough. PLus there's loads to do in Berlin in terms of nightlife anyway, it's very well organised as you'd expect.

Hurricane is another one in Germany that has had some brilliant and rubbish line up over the yeras. Camping though, and they've had mad weather some years too. That said, cleanest festival I've ever been too and well organised too.

Pukkelop and Werchter in Belgium. Nearly a decade since I've been to either. Pukkelpop is the better festival for me in terms of things to see, but Werchter always had a slightly better atmosphere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brussels Summer Fest is quite good too, but it's a city festival.

I'd like to go to Exit festival is Serbia, but it looks like it's going to be very dance music orientated this year:

https://www.exitfest.org/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'll admit, your trolling has a poetry to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭exilec

Nos alive in Lisbon is fantastic . Spotless and no idiots at it . Very easy to get in and out of / Have been to the last 3 and have tickets and flights/hotel for this year also . On the downside , the lineup is dire so far :( but they usually come good . I wont panic just yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Went to BBK to see Arcade Fire and New Order.
    Its a brilliant locatiion in the hills overlooking the city. We walked back to our city centre hotel afterwards.
    Bilbao is lovely and cheap once you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

bullpost wrote: »
    Went to BBK to see Arcade Fire and New Order.
    Its a brilliant locatiion in the hills overlooking the city. We walked back to our city centre hotel afterwards.
    Bilbao is lovely and cheap once you get there.

That one should be on everyone's list...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Sziget is amazing - 24 hours of fun in pretty much guaranteed beautiful weather and not too far from Budapest to take a break in the city during it

https://szigetfestival.com/en/

Advertisement