Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The beauty of A Christmas Carol

Options
  • 22-12-2019 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Just discovered ANOTHER screen version of the Dickens masterpiece is on now on BBC1. That capitalised "another" is not out of weariness, but excitement - I don't think there can be enough versions of this beautifully told fable. I simply adore it. I love alternate versions too, like Scrooged and The Muppets' take. :)

I just find it so damn heartwarming - and it attempts to understand auld Ebeneezer too - his cynicism is a cloak of protection from hurt, but kindness triumphs, yet schmaltz free.

However it's dark as hell too. Wonder was Scrooge having a mental breakdown? Love analysing it.

Anyone else here share my deep love for this tale?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Quite the opposite. We usually watch BBC1 on Sunday night but this was "Oh no, not ANOTHER version of the same old story". So, it's a no from this house I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is this from the guys who made Sherlock?

Love it, wouldn't be Christmas without one version or another on the tv at some point.

God bless us, everyone.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is this from the guys who made Sherlock?

No, that's the new Dracula. This is from the makers of Peaky Blinders

Candie wrote: »
    Love it, wouldn't be Christmas without one version or another on the tv at some point.

God bless us, everyone.

The Alister Simms version was on yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It's a classic tale. I'll never get tired of it. I'm enjoying how they have played up the dark angle but would prefer if they stuck to the text. I feel like this is a wasted opportunity to do a properly chilling, yet authentic version. But we will see.

I'd nearly agree with Peter Hitchins' thoughts on it today too though..

(I didn't watch it yet..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Thanks for reminding me I have this in ibooks. I must read it over the next couple days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It's a classic tale. I'll never get tired of it. I'm enjoying how they have played up the dark angle but would prefer if they stuck to the text. I feel like this is a wasted opportunity to do a properly chilling, yet authentic version. But we will see.
    Can't believe they changed "If they'd rather die, then they'd better do it - and decrease the surplus population!"

But I think it's brilliant otherwise. Love the way Cratchit gets cautiously sarky with Scrooge.

I'd better stick to talking about ACC in general though, or this'll get moved to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm the same OP. I'm a huge fan of Charles Dickens and love this tale

I prefer the refresh of language, even a few fucks thrown in.

Did the continuity mention something about a twist or did I pick that up wrong.

Yes, loved the Scrooged version with Bill Murray, which is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Alister Simms version was on yesterday.

Watched it with my 16y.o, for the umpteenth time.
    Still bloody brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Scrooge ain’t meant to be that pretty

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Scrooge ain’t meant to be that pretty

I don't find him attractive. What do you find attractive about him?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Muppet one is my personal favourite, surprisingly faithful to the book too! (apart from the songs obviously).

Enjoyed the first episode of the BBC one last night, always nice to see a different take.

I'd recommend anyone who likes A Christmas Carol to give The Man Who Invented Christmas a watch. It's a film about Dickens (played by Dan Stevens) trying to write the story in the first place and it makes for a really good Christmas film imo. It's currently on Netflix I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,283 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Watching it last night did trigger me into reading up about the little ice age. The frigid weather in A Christmas Carol isn't just a reflection of the coldness in Scrooge's heart, the winters were quite often actually like that. Frozen Rivers, canals and lakes were regular occurrence. So much so that there use to be the occasional market on the Thames.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Muppet version is brilliant and pretty faithful to the story. It's my favourite, but I actually didn't mind the Jim Carrey version, although his Scouse accent for Ghost of Christmas present is decidedly ropey. I'll get around to this new version eventually.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wasn't too impressed by last nights 1st episode.

But will stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Many good versions, Patrick Stewart made a good Scrooge, Alastair Simms too back in the day...
    Love all that Dickensian stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,978 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Op, if you like the Scrooge story, you might really like Dickensian. It was a series set in London where a detective, named Mr Bucket, has to solve Jacob Marley's murder. It interweave lots of dickens stories in one series as Mr Bucket makes his investigations.

I absolutely loved it but it didn't get a second season so other people must not have likes it as much. Still, it's a self contained story so it didn't need a second season.

We'll worth a watch as it gives more detail on some characters than dickens did.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4531728/

I love Blackadders Christmas Carol which has an opposite storyline to the original!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

For a straight up version I love Patrick Stewart's Scrooge. I obviously love Scrooged. My favourite version though may be Mickey's Christmas Carol. Scrooge McDuck was in many ways, born to play Scrooge. :D I also enjoyed how last year's Duck Tales Christmas special lovingly lampooned it and we learned that Scrooge is faking his hatred of Christmas and every Christmas eve goes on fun adventures with the ghosts. Though he really does have genuine beef with Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Love Mickey's Christmas Carol! And it's kinda forgotten.

Yeah the Blackadder one never fails to make me lol. :D ("Picture this: quiet evenings alone in your hovel reading your bible. Your OWN turnip!")

It's A Wonderful Life is A Christmas Carol turned on its head too - it's glorious.

The Ghost of Christmas Present seems to be depicted as a Santa meets Jesus type figure. I love how he's all jolly and then turns on Scrooge and becomes a total bad-ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

Albert Finney was my favourite one. And I usually hate musicals. Hard to believe he was only 34 when he played the part.

d9cd7cd0e9343796a096de96800138d4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The Muppet Christmas Carol is a masterpiece. Scrooged is still brilliant to this day - so sharp. I liked the Jim Carrey animation. My favourite classic version is with George C Scott.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like the Blackadder one is on Netflix. That's my afternoon entertainment sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Can't believe they changed "If they'd rather die, then they'd better do it - and decrease the surplus population!"

But I think it's brilliant otherwise. Love the way Cratchit gets cautiously sarky with Scrooge.

I'd better stick to talking about ACC in general though, or this'll get moved to TV.

Yep probably the most famous line from the book, strange they left it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭seenitall

Probably too PC sensitive these days. As one of the open secrets of the era we live in that the real trouble with destruction of the climate and resources of the planet is the overpopulation. Too close to the bone now, as it were.

• Advertisement

It might be more to do with making the narrative their own and that line in full might jar... but probably jars all the more leaving it out.

Advertisement