Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

That's it, the cinematography screams Shanara. It's the cleanliness and colour gradient, that's what's putting me off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

What's with the lack of monsters in the trailer? I've only played the game but they were a big part of that, are the books different?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think with any High Fantasy series, it's very hard not to make it look like a bunch of guys in Medieval costume, wailing on each other in a field.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What's with the lack of monsters in the trailer? I've only played the game but they were a big part of that, are the books different?

The short stories have a fair bit of monster killing, but the main saga (5 books or so) have practically none.

Going by the trailer season 1 is almost entirely based off the short stories so I think there should be a reasonable amount of monster killing going on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think they did a couple monsters in the earlier ones at least

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think with any High Fantasy series, it's very hard not to make it look like a bunch of guys in Medieval costume, wailing on each other in a field.

Very true but LoTR and GoT did it, this looks like the DP learned trade at The CW.

Saying that, it is probably the easiest thing, as a viewer, to get over. Better look a bit off with strong acting and story than other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

All episodes now available on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

They are certainly not going for PG13 anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Witthout any spoilers, what are first impressions of this? Gonna watch a couple of episodes tonight once the kids are in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Only watched the first 20 minutes, they seem to have captured the feel of the character very well from what I saw.. Sems good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Little bit irritating that all the reviews seem to try to compare it to 'Game of Thrones'. It's like comparing any new cop show to 'The Wire'. There's great variance within fantasy and how you tell stories, whether on an epic scale (like GoT) or from a bit more of a personal view, such as 'The Witcher'. Probably shows the ignorance of the reviewers to the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have just finished the first episode and spoiler free review.

This is actually good. Hopefully will become great.

Cavill is bloody fantastic as Geralt. He sounds like him, walks like him and everything else.

The atmosphere feels perfect, the music fits perfectly.

This is well worth the watch as a newbie, a lover of the books or games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have just finished the first episode and spoiler free review.

This is actually good. Hopefully will become great.

Cavill is bloody fantastic as Geralt. He sounds like him, walks like him and everything else.

The atmosphere feels perfect, the music fits perfectly.

This is well worth the watch as a newbie, a lover of the books or games.

Thats what I thought, felt he got in off to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Glebee wrote: »
    Thats what I thought, felt he got in off to a tee.
    I suppose it helps when you're a huge fan of the source material.
    Gonna start watching this later in work when a few people have fecked off and can't disturb me.

After one episode, I can confirm it's not ****. I'd go as far to say that it's good. I doubt I could convince the average GOT viewer that it's the second coming though. Too much magic and fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I have no idea what was going on but that sword fight was pretty good.

Watched the first episode, decent.
    He fits the part quite well.
    Sword fight was fantastic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

How many tits on average per episode?

Good few in episode 1 anyway, will see if the quota remains high.

It's not quite Spartacus level, but floating around early Game of Thrones level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Good few in episode 1 anyway, will see if the quota remains high.
    It's not quite Spartacus level, but floating around early Game of Thrones level.

OK, I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I really enjoyed the first episode however some of the dialogue wasn't very clear.

Five episodes in and loving it. Couple of small niggling things but certainly not enough to put me off.

The timeline seems a bit wonky until you realise that certain events aren't happening in direct order, which suits the books however can be a bit confusing when not declared in the show.

I also see a reviewer for Entertainment Weekly is in a bit of hot water after not actually watching the show but reviewing it and hammering it. Apparently he watched 30 minutes of the first episode, then skipped ahead to episode 5 and complained he was confused about the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Henry Cavill is good and he's borrowed Michael McIlhattons voice from Game of Thrones. Everything scene without him is either ****e or just dull.

The Nilfgaardians are ridiculous, they look like something from a dream sequence in The Big Lebowski.

Sword fight. Reverse grip, of course. Yadda, yadda, yadda

Bambi wrote: »
    Henry Cavill is good and he's borrowed Michael McIlhattons voice from Game of Thrones. Everything scene without him is either ****e or just dull.

Bizarre, but I had a feeling you'd come along with the usual. Had you actually paid attention, you'd notice he's using a voice extremely similar to that of Doug Cockle, the voice actor for Geralt in the games although he made it more gravely.

Moving on though, I binged the entire show today.

So
    my one real issue with the series is how they've done the timeline. For the first few episodes I thought things were happening concurrently which put me off as Yenn is supposed to be at least 100 years older than Geralt himself but around E05/06 it became clear that for the most part, each main character was actually in their own period of time and moving towards the central plot.

Non spoiler, the actor playing Dandelion is brilliant for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bizarre, but I had a feeling you'd come along with the usual. Had you actually paid attention, you'd notice he's using a voice extremely similar to that of Doug Cockle, the voice actor for Geralt in the games although he made it more gravely.

Paying attention lol. If you searched for the keyword "Witcher" under my username you'd find the first post is from almost 12 years ago

How about you sweetheart, were you paying attention back then? :D

Paying attention lol. If you searched for the keyword "Witcher" under my username you'd find the first post is from almost 12 years ago

How about you sweetheart, were you paying attention back then? :D

Oh I know that, but I also remember you have a small anurism when you saw who was cast as Yennefer and Triss.
    Netflix is the new straight-to-DVD.
    Bog standard current day PC fantasy ****e

Humans = Dem evil wi peepo
    Elves = Wise opressed soul sistahs ( + token brutha)

Pussy possie running the plot, default American olde medieval accent setting of posh English in a Polish world. Dopey reverse sword grip cos you franchise merchandise buying tits think its badass.

I'm not saying you're a clown if you think that trailer is good but I do think of you as one.
    Yep,wouldn't it be great if companies were creating fun things that weren't full of *current year* bull**** like diversity quotas and everything-is-about-Trump?

We're watching the entertainment industries having a nervous breakdown and expecting us to enjoy it. :o

So, you've been kinda ****ting on this since the trailer came out, giving out about the 'diversty' hires and so on and the PC Agenda. Well it turns out they pretty damn faithfully have stuck the story of The Last Wish and hired some damn good actors in the process.

Oh, and here's the Twitter reactions.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TheWitcherNetflix&src=trend_click

Jog on with your usual ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Impressions after the first episode. Spoilers below. Are we doing spoiler tags? Can't seem to spoiler a list and keep it a list.
    • Cavill is excellent as Geralt. Both in terms of attitude and voice.
    • Ciri, I'm not sold on yet, but I enjoyed her a lot more than I thought I would. Promising
    • Calanthe went out with a bit of a whimper. The battle scene between Cintra and Nilfgaard was a bit lackluster, but fine I suppose. I guess we're spoiled after GoT (only time I mention it).
    • The Renfri story was well done, stuck faithfully to the books. Only qualm was they could have emphasised more how Geralt was saving the town from her, and they still turn on him. As it was, it was a single line that didn't quite give it the impact. Still, liked the 'ultimatim ... ****' bit.
    • How they do Cahir is going to be interesting. Ciri's magical ability is ... oddly done to say the least. Again looking forward to how they play that one out.
    • The swordplay is excellent. Really liking it, particulary as it seems to get across how controlled Geralt is with sword in hand. Even during the Renfri fight where he takes wounds, he still looks like he's in total control, and when he wants to, just breezes through her. Again, solidly representing the books there. Right amount of pirouettes and half turns etc etc (joke)

All in all, really pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Geralt is kick ass
    Everything with cintra is really really disappointing
    In episode 1 anyway

Advertisement