Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Golfing Goals

Options
  • 19-12-2019 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Its almost the end of the year and after achieving all of last year's goals pretty easily (in hindsight they were pretty easy) I thought I would list my goals for 2020. This will be my second proper year of golfing so I think my goals are a little harder this time now I know I have more of an idea of my ability.

Be interesting to see what others have as their goals also. List yours below too.

1. Get handicap down to 15 maximum (currently 18.5 from a high of 20.1 and a low of 17.5) Mid summer I thought this would be done this year as i was playing extremely well but my game has fallen apart since August with ten 0.1's since.

2. Win a competition. Any competition. Have finished second a few times so the form is there. Just need to get my game back to last summer's levels of consistency and it should come.

3. Qualify for the Boards Jug team. The major problem here is actually making 5 counting events. Hopefully I will have to time to be able to play at least 5 events.

4. Play a round with NO scratch on the card. This should theoretically be the easiest goal but it's something I haven't even been close to managing yet unfortunately.

Comments

I'm playing off 8 and i'd settle for 7 in 2020. I had hoped to go lower in 2019 but things didn't work out as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

My 2020 goals

1: Get to single figures (currently 14)
    2: reduce putts per round to less than 36
    3: play a round at carne
    4: shoot low 80s round at Ballybunion Old
    5: Win a few club competitions
    6: Play more matchplay comps

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Cut down the amount of times i need to get my ball retriever re-gripped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

davegilly wrote: »
    Its almost the end of the year and after achieving all of last year's goals pretty easily (in hindsight they were pretty easy) I thought I would list my goals for 2020. This will be my second proper year of golfing so I think my goals are a little harder this time now I know I have more of an idea of my ability.

Be interesting to see what others have as their goals also. List yours below too.

1. Get handicap down to 15 maximum (currently 18.5 from a high of 20.1 and a low of 17.5) Mid summer I thought this would be done this year as i was playing extremely well but my game has fallen apart since August with ten 0.1's since.

2. Win a competition. Any competition. Have finished second a few times so the form is there. Just need to get my game back to last summer's levels of consistency and it should come.

3. Qualify for the Boards Jug team. The major problem here is actually making 5 counting events. Hopefully I will have to time to be able to play at least 5 events.

4. Play a round with NO scratch on the card. This should theoretically be the easiest goal but it's something I haven't even been close to managing yet unfortunately.

Goal No 4 = Goal No 2, most probably

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

play more

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Try get down to 14 from 18. I got down to 18 from 25 at the start of this year. I feel like 18 is about right for me now but my putting and short game is an area I think I can work on to get down further, 3 putts are almost always the reason for my poor rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Strike every single shot of the year with conviction, purpose and concentration.

End shanking.

Make it out of group stage of winter matchplay series.

Make the Jug team.

(1&2 should help make 3&4 possible)

Stretch goal: Shoot a level par 18 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Try get down to 14 from 18. I got down to 18 from 25 at the start of this year. I feel like 18 is about right for me now but my putting and short game is an area I think I can work on to get down further, 3 putts are almost always the reason for my poor rounds

As a 14 handicapper I can tell you the strongest part of my game is tee to green. My GIR is pretty good, I am always in or around the green in regulation. The key to this is know your miss. Always aim to the fat part of the fairway and green.

My feeling is getting up and down is what separates where I am to where I want to be

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Get my handicapp down to 11. Playing off 13.0 at the moment & got to exactly 12.0 3 times in the last 4 years but haven't broken that 11 duck. I WILL IN 2020

Frustrating year last year started well on my goal which was to get to 19. Went from 24.1 to 21.6, but have gone back out 22.5.

This year
    1. Get to 17
    2. Play more golf January - March. Always arrive cold into qualifying, hoping this can help me hit ground running
    3. Do a fitting session for my irons. Got driver done last year and has made a huge difference combined with lessons to eliminate a two way miss.
    4. Start tracking stats.
    5. Play more boards outings
    6. Enjoy the game, even when it goes to pot mid round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Same as last year.
    Change my username to Break 78.
    Last year was a disaster golf wise.
    Missed out on the Ryder Jug for the first time since joining the society.
    Managed to get to 13 briefly but now out to 14.
    Even though the golf was rubbish I had a great time with the boards society. Trip to St Andrew's. And Dooks.
    Next year is the year lads starting with Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Love this thread - as very goal centric myself.

Had about 2 years of very limited golf , for me. Now I know that is still probably double what most get. But still was way down the list of priorities in life.

Had periods of say 1/2 months there I didn't even swing a club. Still had great times in Spain , Scotland and Kerry and East coast - most with lads from here.

So with the decks clear in a personal capacity - I think 2020 will be a big year of golf. I have been fairly terrible at golf for a while , so trying to do something about it at the moment. I still love love the game ( to play). But the bit of a break was good.

1) Sort out short game wedges and putting - being honest , put the work in - I failed to over the last while.
    2) Score in low 70s a few times , no matter how erratic my game can be, I do have days when this can happen - had 5 birdies in one round last year
    3) Win winter matchplay - I was shocking last year, but I'm going to be a different golfer this year :p , now calling a win in a matchplay event is crazy, but there you go.
    4) Play a bit more Parkland golf - and actaully score, game is fairly 1 dimensional links , a different challenge - I'm going to pick one locally and try shoot a 79 or lower, this would be a reasonable achievement for me
    5) I hope to end the year somewhere between 5/6. But my game is going to shift from long game to short game.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

1.get too and stay in Catt 1 (currently 6.3)
    2. win 3 medals (won 2 this year)
    3. shoot level par or better in a comp (+2 is my best here)
    4. play more scratch cups/ stroke play comps (as I seem to perform better in these...must be a concentration thing)
    5. practice with a purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Aiming big this year.

1. Break 80. I broke 90 and 85 this year and had some glimpses. Its a real long shot but sure why not.

2. Get down to low teens. Down to 15.5 from a start of 21 this year so anything around 13 would have me very happy.

3. Play more links. Always been put off due to wind and dangerous bunkers but recent rounds at Monty and some of the boards trips have me enjoying much more and more importantly starting to score on them.

4. Win a boards comp

5. Make the Ryder Jug team. This year was brilliant and first ever matchplay format.

6. Figure out long irons. This one is the least likely of all as they have plagued me for years but determined to stick to new swing changes and see if they work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

2020 goal -> Lessons! Lessons! Lessons!

and continue the handicap cut
    cut 3 shots on GUi this year
    another 2 shots in 2020 would be nice

Forgot the most important goal, get to the Boards outings and deffo the captains weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Back to golf after a 6 year absence - 2.5 months in from joining a new club and loving it.

Got my handicap and have started playing a few winter comps - putting in lots of practice (range and course) approx 3 times a week.

When I started goal was to get to single figures in 18 months - therefore 11/12 is where I want to be before the end of this year.

Was deservedly given 18 and now starting to play nicely in patches, but cant be cut until season starts.

Improve my putting also (Achilles heal) - have at least 3 x 3 putts a round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

9.7 to 9.4

Doesn't sound like a big goal but it's just the fact of knowing that I can still play well enough to call myself a single figure golfer.

oh...and yes....same as last year - get out of my own way/head and enjoy it more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

1. Get from 18 to 15. not a big one but the whole handicap thing, I think is a
    mental state of mind with me at this stage.

2. Win a medal (This is a big goal of mine & has been for years)

3. Make the Jug team and enjoy my society Golf since as I can relax! :D

4. Win The Captains prize either with my club or The boards Society :cool:
    Came 3rd last 2 years in 2 different clubs really threw it away last year!

5. Work on strike & keep the lessons going (everything else will fall in place)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TwistFace

I was 7.3 in 2017 - all based off playing loads and getting into form.
    Now I'm off 9.4!!

Be easy to say goal is to get back down to 8 or to hold onto 9.

But the goal has to be to rebuild the swing that makes it a bit more dependable. Like a lot of amateurs, i get very stand uppy through impact and flippy, ball can go anywhere. Goal is to build a swing where I get the body more open at impact and clubface a lot more neutral on the way through impact.

Good luck to everyone with their goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

I won't say get to single figures cause its always a goal I post and always fail but I will say get cut 4.7..... ;¶

Make the pierce Purcell team.
    Win a club matchplay game or more.
    Make the clubs top 10 in GOY.
    Play more links golf.
    Concentrate more on shots instead of just pulling a club and hitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I won't say get to single figures cause its always a goal I post and always fail but I will say get cut 4.7..... ;¶

Make the pierce Purcell team.
    Win a club matchplay game or more.
    Make the clubs top 10 in GOY.
    Play more links golf.
    Concentrate more on shots instead of just pulling a club and hitting.

if I can just ask on single figures.

Would you want to forget all about the Pierce Purcell if your true golfing goal is single figures?

The golf mind is a powerful thing , have all your goals aligned. Inter club by its nature is a limit in our mind.

I personally don't think inter club is a place to be thinking to improve handicap. I think it can block many people

Unless you say , I want to make Junior cup next year.

I accept that inter club is based on last year's handicap, but you should be in the environment of higher level golf (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

1. Get from 5 to 4
    2. Win a Medal
    3. Play more during the week, moving club to somewhere more local will help me hopefully
    4. Make the Junior Cup team in new club (Hopefully get drawn against my old club at some point)
    5. Go on a golf trip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Officially it will be to get to my pre hiatus handicap of 11. Secretly I'll be hoping to hit 9.

To get there;

Get down to 34/35 putts a round.
    Get down in 3 consistently from inside 100m.
    Par the 3rd in corballis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Get back down to & stay at single figures by the end of the year (starting at 9.6)
    • Consolidate swing changes over the Winter. Managed for the first time to get a lesson in at the start of the Winter, so I have months of playing rubbish to get things in good shape for the qualifying season
    • Get Scrambling up above 30%
    • Get fitter & get swing speed up
    • Work on my golfers tan (roll on Portugal)
    • Have a good year with Boards Society (as Captain, as well as a Player)
    • Retain the Jug

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Only one goal, get down to 4. I've gotten close but whenever I go low in comp I get defensive and feck it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Only one goal, get down to 4. I've gotten close but whenever I go low in comp I get defensive and feck it up!

Does Boards Society handicap not count as getting below 4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Does Boards Society handicap not count as getting below 4 ;)

Very true. Goal reached :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

1. Play junior cup. I'm manager this year but I'd love to pick myself a la tiger woods.
    2. Play jimmy Bruen. Might not have time for this because of 1.
    3. Have at least one round this year where I get cut. No cuts in 2019 :(
    4. Not go up by the full shot before august like I did this year.

5. Stick to one swing thought for the whole season. I'm like Harrington.... I just cant help myself

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Concentrate more. My best round this year by far was in a team comp so I think concentration is an issue.

Get down to 9 at least. Currently 11 (would be higher but for limit)

Win a club comp (5 seconds this year!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Copied from 2019 goals:

Again no goals just focusing on the habits.

1. Keep a good tempo in my swing.
    2. Practice short game from 100 metres in every week including putting practice
    3. Avoid my annual swing collapse.
    4. Go on a foreign golf holiday

I've been posting on boards golf for 14 years. My first goals post was on 2008 goals.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54643994&postcount=9
    I'd had a good 2007 and was off 15. I'm currently off 16! I still haven't gone on a golf holiday abroad :(
    I did some deep analysis of how to achieve a handicap goal of 15==>10.

Advertisement