Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Tulsi Gabbard voted "present". :D

She really does make it obvious what she is.

Pathetic.

https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/rep-tulsi-gabbard-calls-house-censure-president-putting-personal-political-gain

Its not exactly a vote to clear him is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1207485852013625345?s=20

Jesus, what an odious excuse for a president

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

An early Christmas present!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Sheeps wrote: »
    I'm predicting that Trump will now win the 2020 elections.

Agreed and win fairly easily at that. The economy is performing very well under Trump and that's all normal folks care about. This ''impeachment'' isn't going to make a blind bit of difference at the ballot box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Agreed and win fairly easily at that. The economy is performing very well under Trump and that's all normal folks care about. This ''impeachment'' isn't going to make a blind bit of difference at the ballot box.

How do you define that the economy is doing well?

(don't say it don't say it don't say it don't say it)

'look at the Dow figures'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

duploelabs wrote:

Strangly enough, many do see it this way, I also think trump has 2020 also in the bag, the dems are lost, impeachment probably won't work, and his base isn't for turning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

JRant wrote: »
    Fairly obvious I would have thought, seeing as this whole affair is based around the Ukarine and the reason(s) for withholding funds.

It's interesting that you chose to respond but dodged the actual question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

duploelabs wrote: »
    How do you define that the economy is doing well?

(don't say it don't say it don't say it don't say it)

The simple question on this is: how are the rust belt and swing states doing economically? Cos yeah, if they're better off then the economy question will play. But if they're just as forgotten and abandoned as in 2016 then a sense of betrayal over the fluff about "clean coal" and reopening all those mills will be keenly felt. Trump promised a helluva lot when he spoke at those haemorrhaging states.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

everlast75 wrote: »
    Other than a poor attempt to wind people up, and "liked" by those who would prefer not to debate the issues, please provide the basis for that forecast.

The economy isn't tanking. The Republicans have gone towards a cult. Honestly people don't want facts anymore. They don't want research into things to figure out how to combat climate change or complicated battles to bring down healthcare costs. Trump said he would fix it without more taxes so why not give him another go.

"The people are tired of experts". They want to hear nice things. True or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,133 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

retalivity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1207485852013625345?s=20

Jesus, what an odious excuse for a president

Agreed. And *still* people on here defend him, or conveniently go missing from the debate here when he does something reprehensible. When questioned why, their pi$$ poor reply is "there's enough people on here giving out about him. I don't believe that for a second. Have some balls and call it out when you see it. They are worse than the Republicans who turn a blind eye. At least they have some sort of possible repercussions.

Here is the widow's reply. What a snowflake, eh lads????

https://twitter.com/RepDebDingell/status/1207494427968716801?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Economy is doing better under Varadkar/Kenny than US one under Trump. In Ireland unemployment has gone from 15%+ to 5%, GDP has nearly doubled, big rise in Irish stock market and Ireland has budget surplus after having deficit of ~€30 billion year before FG took office.

Yet FG are hated and epected to lose next election. Of course FG does not have dozens upon dozens of talk radio, online, TV shows producing hundreds if not thousands of hours of propaganda for them weekly.

Agreed. And *still* people on here defend him, or conveniently go missing from the debate here when he does something reprehensible. When questioned why, their pi$$ poor reply is "there's enough people on here giving out about him. I don't believe that for a second. Have some balls and call it out when you see it. They are worse than the Republicans who turn a blind eye. At least they have some sort of possible repercussions.

Here is the widow's reply. What a snowflake, eh lads????

https://twitter.com/RepDebDingell/status/1207494427968716801?s=19

So did he consider blocking the state funeral of an opponent out of spite? Or did he expect a quid pro quo? Because here he is saying she should be thankful he allowed it so it must have been a close run thing.

Disgusting piece of filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Other than a poor attempt to wind people up, and "liked" by those who would prefer not to debate the issues, please provide the basis for that forecast.

It's not a wind up. This impeachment will compound support for Trump for any Republican voters who were on the fence. It will also deeply motivate his base. All it has done is further fractured the country, at a time leading into an election where the Democrats need to win on middle ground.

It's not a wind up. This impeachment will compound support for Trump for any Republican voters who were on the fence. It will also deeply motivate his base. All it has done is further fractured the country, at a time leading into an election where the Democrats need to win on middle ground.

Ah yes. The following up on crimes is what divides a country. Not the considering cancelling the funeral of an opponent out of spite. Trump has stuck a big wedge down the country (see the majority of his statements). But sure let's keep blaming the Dems.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Ah yes. The following up on crimes is what divides a country. Not the considering cancelling the funeral of an opponent out of spite. Trump has stuck a big wedge down the country (see the majority of his statements). But sure let's keep blaming the Dems.
    The crimes will still have been commitmed after the election. Optics matter in politics.

Trump's base won't win him election.

I don’t see how impeachment will suddenly make Trump popular in say rust-belt where he is massively underwater despite winning in 16.

E-mail and Benghazi trials made Hillary Clinton deeply unpopular despite the fact she was never found guilty of anything. Trump's been found guilty and never co-operated in any way unlike Clinton who testified in person for weeks.. yet somehow Trump is now more popular

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Trump's base won't win him election.

I don’t see how impeachment will suddenly make Trump popular in say rust-belt where he is massively underwater despite winning in 16.

E-mail and Benghazi trials made Hillary Clinton deeply unpopular despite the fact she was never found guilty of anything. Trump's been found guilty and never co-operated in any way unlike Clinton who testified in person for weeks.. yet somehow Trump is now more popular

You think you can relate to these voters as a rational person, but their reality is somewhat different. These people live in a Republican bubble where extremely conservative values are the norm and anyone who deviates from norms is alienated because they're the enemy. They've been conditioned with heavy propaganda and they don't see it as a crime. Trump is their guy and the enemy is trying to oust him.

This impeachment will only serve to emboldened those in that bubble and push more into it.

The crimes will still have been commitment after the election. Optics matter in politics.
    Fair. I did misread previous post a bit.

However I feel the optics of not impeaching would have been taken as proof of innocence by Trump's supporters as innocence and would have disillusioned the Dems base. This is the only path forward for them I feel.

Couple of things
    1. Trump's hardcore base by itself won't win election
    2. Trump convinced independent voters to vote for him in 16, will impeachment increase his popularity among them?
    3. There are more democratic voters in the US than Republicans. There are more Democrats in places like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin than Republicans. Will impeachment convince those voters to sit at home and not vote

Election is a year away. Its too early to call anything. Trump won in 16 by combined 80,000 votes across the three states I mentioned. Its not like he is going to win Northeast or Pacific westcoast in 2020 so he will be relying again on same states that did last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Trump may very well win in 2020. As I said already as an incumbent he has a huge chance but it isn't his base or the republicans in general who will decide that. It will be decided as always by independents and in his case democrats also who stated home or switched from Obama in 12 to Trump in 16.

He has done nothing to expand his base, they can get fired up all they want. Same as the party, it won't be enough on its own. The election will be close one way or the other

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

by a landslide, sadly

What do you consider a landslide?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Couple of things
    1. Trump's hardcore base by itself won't win election
    2. Trump convinced independent voters to vote for him in 16, will impeachment increase his popularity among them?
    3. There are more democratic voters in the US than Republicans. There are more Democrats in places like Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin than Republicans. Will impeachment convince those voters to sit at home and not vote

Election is a year away. Its too early to call anything. Trump won in 16 by combined 80,000 votes across the three states I mentioned. Its not like he is going to win Northeast or Pacific westcoast in 2020 so he will be relying again on same states that did last time.

Further to that, the Republicans are in trouble in Texas. It's not something they can take for granted anymore.

They'll probably still win it, but even by having to divert more resources to it, it may negatively impact them overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,133 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's not a wind up.

Glad to hear it.
    This impeachment will compound support for Trump for any Republican voters who were on the fence

What Republican supporter is now still on the fence regarding Trump? Some people took a punt on him at the start. Some knew exactly what he was. He has lost some of the former. I accept he won't lose any of the latter. But the main thing here is - he is not winning over any new supporters. He is simply retaining what he has.
    It will also deeply motivate his base
    I heard this argument from the time of the Mueller investigation. Trump spews hate and bile from his twitter feed, it is propagated by Fox and facilitated by whatever is left of the Republican party. They are already up to the nines. This won't tip anyone over.
    All it has done is further fractured the country, at a time leading into an election
    No. Trump has done this. He picked up the phone. He abused his power. He obstructed Congress. No one else.
    where the Democrats need to win on middle ground.
    So does Trump.

Glad to hear it.

What Republican supporter is now still on the fence regarding Trump? Some people took a punt on him at the start. Some knew exactly what he was. He has lost some of the former. I accept he won't lose any of the latter. But the main thing here is - he is not winning over any new supporters. He is simply retaining what he has.

I heard this argument from the time of the Mueller investigation. Trump spews hate and bile from his twitter feed, it is propagated by Fox and facilitated by whatever is left of the Republican party. They are already up to the nines. This won't tip anyone over.

No. Trump has done this. He picked up the phone. He abused his power. He obstructed Congress. No one else.

So does Trump.

You can blame Trump all you like for his crimes and you'll be right. My entire point is people who will vote for Trump don't see it the same way as you and I do.

They will be motivated and they will show up.

Ultimately I don't really care what happens either way, because I don't have to live there, but I hope I'm wrong for the sake of everyone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can blame Trump all you like for his crimes and you'll be right. My entire point is people who will vote for Trump don't see it the same way as you and I do.

They will be motivated and they will show up.
    As a Trump supporter I can confirm this sham impeachment move by the democrats has done nothing but energize republicans to double down against this false campaign against the POTUS.

I wouldnt bet money against Trump being reelected

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The president is an insane man, a rambling old codger who is fixated by the most surreal subjects; like, in the interests of balance and not completely going crazy staring into the abyss, what is the background of this obsession with non-flushing toilets? Do we even know? Was there a town or a constituency that had water pressure issues and Trump is simply running with this like it's a national problem? He apparently also directed the EPA to adjust their policy ... somehow. It's baffling nonsense. I've used American toilets in Chicago, they seem fine, they flush first time and .... Jesus Christ, dispose of its contents... *facepalm*

This is not the rhetoric of a genius, intellectual or business.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1207493659731603456

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I don't really get the whole tip-toeing around voters feelings WRT impeachment. I feel like the division on this issue will more or less basically map to voting intentions one way or the other anyway. His base might be more energised by it but it's been such a divisive 4 years that I'd be surprised if they didn't turn out anyway.

The toilet thing, he himself has admitted to being obsessive about germs I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

ELM327 wrote: »
    As a Trump supporter I can confirm this sham impeachment move by the democrats has done nothing but energize republicans to double down against this false campaign against the POTUS.

I wouldnt bet money against Trump being reelected

It wasn’t a sham though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tbh, anyone who still supports Impeached President Trump in 2019 is a write-off anyway. If his behaviour so far hasn't been enough to turn them off, then they'd literally stick by him even if he ate babies on live TV.

The Democrats plan now appears to be to keep poking the bear so he makes himself look more and more ridiculous with more and more tantrums. They won't bring the articles of impeachment to the Senate. They'll deny him any chance to claim that he has been exonerated or vindicated. Instead they'll just leave the sword of damocles hanging.

The democrats aren't (and shouldn't) targetting Trump supporters to try and turn them, that's a waste of energy. The goal here is to keep the narrative simple - Trump has been impeached, he is a failure and criminal who cannot be left in the White House.

And if Trump does win in 2020, the articles of impeachment are still there and can be presented to a democract-heavy 2022 senate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement